Homefront

This game got pretty lackluster previews. And every game gets hyped up in previews, even if it ends up getting poor reviews after release.

[quote name='HydroX']So, does anyone own this game? Lol. How does it play? How is the multiplayer?[/QUOTE]

Not out yet sir, next week.

I am super pumped for this game, and reviews have been pouring out this week. Looking good, high 8s and 9s.

Either way, this game might not feel as tight controls as COD is. But COD takes no teamwork its a lone man game. This game is team based like BF and im super pumped for the new direction they are trying with MP.

Also another thing they are doing in a "soldier" fps...making me care about the story, most of them have a shit story, this story looks good. And all the promotion and ads are advertising the story over the mp, and thats awesome that they are that confident about it. STOKED.

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']Not out yet sir, next week.

I am super pumped for this game, and reviews have been pouring out this week. Looking good, high 8s and 9s.

Either way, this game might not feel as tight controls as COD is. But COD takes no teamwork its a lone man game. This game is team based like BF and im super pumped for the new direction they are trying with MP.

Also another thing they are doing in a "soldier" fps...making me care about the story, most of them have a shit story, this story looks good. And all the promotion and ads are advertising the story over the mp, and thats awesome that they are that confident about it. STOKED.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, I thought it was out 3/8. My mistake.

I played some of their last game 'Frontlines' and while the ideas in that game were good, the gameplay was very sluggish, with a low framrate, and it just seemed to chug along at a snails pace. I hope they improved the engine for this game.

I just convinced myself I need to get this game when it comes out. Looks fun, short singleplayer is a little of a bummer but I have plenty of those waiting to be played. The multiplayer is really why I'm going to get it.

Well so far multiplayer and the single player are awesome. the graphics are crappy on the ps3... but ill be picking this up for the pc.

Needs a demo. Especially when their last game has been the common whore of bargain bins. >_>

I want to like it, but it seems like so many little things could ruin the game. I'm also expecting too many snipers. (despite not every map being viable)

Spawn system looks decent, and I love the points currency idea. (reminds me of C&C Renegade in a way) I just don't know why they won't release a demo before release. Most of the people I've talked to haven't even heard of Homefront, or are so iffy they barely even want to preorder it.

Regardless, hope the game is great. No more CoD!

So any bootleggers tried out the MP? It's been out awhile...

I'm buying it tuesday at Kmart. $10 reward points and a free $20 points card means it's a no brainer. If the game sucks online you can just sell it for a profit.

Camos/attachments/weapons + gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEBt6NfZbT4

MP Video #1 (?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiUeo-lbMis

MP Video #2 (?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OactnrXLB_o

Most decent videos I've seen. I especially like the first one. I think I'm gonna bite on this game... Every time I decide "Nah, I'll pass...", the game goes "NO WAI! Check out this awesome clip!" The MP looks fun. It just sounds so neat using different class sets and calling in airstrikes with a form of currency. (which strongly rewards teamplay + objective offense/defense!)

And, if anything, vehicles seem fairly balanced. They're expensive, and you need to be cautious with them due to all of the EMP technology (and availability of rocket launchers). Gotta say that I like the idea of having a class that could potentially turn into an AT-gunner if necessary.

Oh, and sorry if videos are reposts. I've only seen the 3 videos that I posted above, didn't look at the others posted in the thread.

Game looks pretty good but after buying Halo Reach and Black Ops at $40 ($60 with $20gc), I don't know if I can spend $60 (or WalMart's deal for $60 with $10 gc) on it right now.

Amazon has bumped pre-order bonus to $15 with miniguide and code. Release day delivery option now gone though. Applies to existing pre-orders :)

Shit I missed out on the pre order headset from Best Buy, I wonder if I could do the amazing thing still.

[quote name='seanr1221']I have a ton of Amazon credit. The 15.00 pushed me over the edge. Hope I don't regret this...[/QUOTE]

Me too- hope I don't regret it. I would have done the headphones one, but I'm glad this came up instead. It's $57.99+$15 credit. The positive metacritic pushed me over the edge. But you can't really trust those, I'm sure it's EMBARGO FOR RATINGS UNDER 80. And it's a bunch of no-name scores so far. I'm still betting on metacritic around 65. I hope it's better, I could use another good online shooter to play until BF3. I'll get it delivered a day after embargo is lifted so I can resell it sealed if it looks real bad.

Shocked!! 14 people at walmart for this! I decided to shop then grab a copy on my way home from work... Gonna return my kmart cheapass copy in a few days on tonights receipt.

Gonna go home and hop online, will report back later. :)

Noticed someone mention WM $10 gc.. Receipt doesn't mention it and I didn't get one...

Best deal is Kmart: $10 reward card credit and free $20 PSN/XBL points card.

No KY, just so y'all know. Don't plan on buying this used... Requires a single redeem online code just like EA games..

WM version comes with exclusive Mini Goliath avatar thingy as well. About to put it game in now.

Why do people have to be tired of COD to like this game? That is very much devaluing what homefront is doing.

I am pretty sure the game stands up on its own and legitimately interests lots of people.

It's pretty fun online every seems to like it who I've played with. Maps are very sniper friendly and big. I see this keeping peoples attention for a lil while.

I'm not tired of CoD either... :)

Edit: 3 hours later..... I really like it. People online all talking very positive. It does ALOT of stuff right, I love how you earn points to spend and you have alot of customization to your classes. Hell even buying a drone UAV and then driving it around and marking people is fun. You get 30 pts per mark and another 40 if your teammate kills them. I was racking up 30-40 assists per game on that alone plus you can buy a vehicle when you respawn so I was getting choppers just from marking a bunch of people.

32 people online matches ran smooth as silk and I didn't see any lag at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Walmart GC's for preorders are only through walmart.com. The only way to pick it up instore and get the giftcard is to do the ship to store option, which takes longer.

The main critique in the IGN review seemed to be that the game is too derivative (i.e. not Battlefield or CoD). And that the single player was too short.

That's something that always annoys me about gaming publications. If it's the same thing but a sequel in a blockbuster series, it's awesome. If it's the same thing but in a new game/series it's either terrible or mediocre.

The reviews seem to focus on the fact that the game is not COD and is too short in SP rather than the actual gameplay itself.

I actually really like short SP campaigns as long as they are done well. Any impressions on the SP from anyone yet? For some reason this is the only gaming-related site that isn't blocked at my work and I'm debating on picking this up from K-Mart on my lunch break but can't read any of the reviews that have hit since last night.

I am about to boot up my copy and will be playing through the sp first.

Again, I hate to devalue reviewers but like Army of Fun has suggest, I am simply baffled by some reviews. Espieaclly when they compare (unintentional or intentional) to triple A titles that contain the same problems. Short SP? I can think of a couple AAA titles that have that. Voice acting? If its not made by bioware that it probably sucks.

Most of the triple AAA titles are indeed good and well made but it seems like some get a pass on far to much meanwhile the same for another company gets killed for it.

Just played some sp and mp on Onlive. Game is fun, the sniper class has a really fun deployable remote machine gun drone. Had a blast driving that little bad boy around. Got my OnLive playpass for free, but still paid for it on steam. I like OnLive but controls even with a mouse and keyboard seem floatly. At least I was able to play at 12:00 am unlike Steam where I have to wait until 10am even though I pre-loaded. So far so good.

I was actually having a lot of fun with the Multi Player last night. I think it's really cool how they made it so you have to spend points on stuff. Makes you NOT want to die cause then you'll just be spending more points. I also don't understand why they have to compare it to every COD or Battlefield game. Why not compare it to there first game frontlines and say it's leaps and bounds above that?

I just dont get reviews and how they work. They comparisons have always made very little sense to me as well the amount of weight each flaw means.

Also, like Vulcan I am confused as to why direct comparisons are made when clearly the games are in different fields. Its like trying to compare a Kia Soul to a Viper. It could be that both games are 60 bones but that is the standard any really shouldnt be taken into account. Why is it not compared to other mid tier shooters?

Also why cant Homefront get the "its a MP game," pass like Halo and COD get? Especially COD which people readily admit to not caring about the SP or its flaws because its a MP game. Each of of these reviews focus entirely on the SP with only a little blurb about the MP, no mention of how well their system works, the dedicated severs nothing. I woudl think dedicated servers on the PS3 and Xbox would be a big deal.

I havent played Homefront enough yet to really make a comment on it...I am just always continues baffled by reviews. They flip flop more than the shoe of the same name.

[quote name='chriscolbert']Since I'm not able to pull that up from work and debating getting it before I go home, would you mind briefly sharing what their main gripes were?[/QUOTE]

I actually took the time to read it. Basically it reads like all the other reviews...multi is great, single player sucks.

[quote name='chriscolbert']Since I'm not able to pull that up from work and debating getting it before I go home, would you mind briefly sharing what their main gripes were?[/QUOTE]

For MP

Though its modes aren't terribly interesting, it has spiced up the traditional formula in some interesting ways. Kills and completed objectives will earn battle points which you can use on the fly to spawn a better weapon or obtain jeeps, tanks and the like. The large scale battles with their shifting control points are reminiscent of MAG but with the added layer of controllable drones, tanks and copters.

Also, while kill streaks earn big, persistent bonuses, they also put a bounty and a large red marker on your head, which is a cool addition to the risk/reward formula. Those kill streaks differ depending on if you're on-foot or in a vehicle, another nugget of smart design.

For SP

That mission (which occupies all but the game's last level) rarely plays out in a more interesting scenario than "clear the urban environment." You find some dudes, you shoot the dudes, you move on. Repeat for ... five or so hours. There's a variety of weapons, but none (save for the couple of shotguns) feel demonstrably different from the others, so no hope for excitement there. Nope, it's pretty much Dullsville top to bottom, save for the surprisingly excellent late-game helicopter stage.

The characters couldn't be more stereotypical and their interactions couldn't be more cookie cutter. If they're average Joes protecting their homeland rather than super soldiers, they obviously haven't been informed about it; there's scarcely a moment of doubt, fear or real humanity to be found. There's a provocative moment involving a mass grave, but it's a tiny narrative ember in a big dark cave of missed opportunity.

Still too immersive? Kaos has been kind enough to tattoo some of the game's most important locations with QR codes you can scan with your phone to get exclusive wallpapers and the like. Just, you know, while you're playing and being all immersed and stuff. There's no reason given. They're just there.

That pretty much everything.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I was actually having a lot of fun with the Multi Player last night. I think it's really cool how they made it so you have to spend points on stuff. Makes you NOT want to die cause then you'll just be spending more points. I also don't understand why they have to compare it to every COD or Battlefield game. Why not compare it to there first game frontlines and say it's leaps and bounds above that?[/QUOTE]

....because Frontlines was also mediocre? What do you expect them to do? Those are the top games in the genre and if this game wants to take you away from them then it needs a good reason to do so. They are simply stating whether or not it stacks up to those games because they have a high level of polish which this game appears to lack.

The whole point of a review is to tell you 1. If the game is good and 2. If the game is better than or worse than similar games in the genre. Its a persons opinion and you don't have to listen to it. If you enjoy a game enjoy it. No need to defend it or get up in arms about it.

Yeah, I bought the game for the MP and the single-player is just a bonus. Doesn't make sense for people to bash or focus so much on the single-player when the developer made it clear the big draw was the multi-player. Granted they touted the single-player being by the guy who wrote Red Dawn but that was about it from what I recall. Anyway, I'm still waiting on UPS and from someone I talked to today on my friends list they said they tried getting into the MP unsuccessfully for an hour. I hope that is cleared up soon.

Just to be clear, I am not fighting for or against homefront. I havent played it enough to really know.

I am just saying that I dont think I agree with the new standard of reviewing games based on how like or unlike COD the game is. I think it devalues all up and coming FPS and the industry as a whole...and to be honest is kinda lazy. Just because there are I find it odd that most article havent even mentioned Frontlines when I would think that many people would like to know if its a upgrade or a downgrade based on their previous experience with a game made by the same company.

I think that FPS along with a select few of other genres are not reviews as much as they are simply compared to the AAA title of the same category.

EDIT: To further explain, there are many people who simply do not like COD (not the people who hate it just for the sake of hating it) but people who dont like that style of shooter. The first to the trigger, constant on the move type gameplay. So to shoehorn it into their face makes no sense. It doesnt help them at all to know how closely compared to COD a game is.

I dont have a problem with the reviewers, just how they present content.

bread's done
Back