Homefront

So, I should probably wait for this game to drop as fast as, say, the TNA Wrestling game or Splinter Cell: Conviction, huh?

Finally got my copy today.. UPS driver literally waited until the last minute/end of the day to deliver. -.- (we're at the very, very end of the route)

SP seems dated, but OK. Love the brutality aspect. No cliche ass-kissing here.

MP is fun, has minor issues but feels balanced. Maps feel generic. (except Suburbia, I like it!)- Guns feel decent. (ACR totally needs a sight to work!)- Airstrikes/idea of purchasables at any time is pretty awesome; I would like to see this idea improved upon. Helicopters aren't as OP as you think they may be (after BF:BC2)... Class #6's proxi launcher and the LAV's anti air gunner seat definitely level the playing field.

Drones are neat, but SO MANY RECON DRONES! Thanks for the easy points... I was playing Suburbia and the same guy just kept throwing up recon drones all game. I assume he got enough points each time he threw one up to get another one, but he ended up with only around 150 score at the end. I killed.. at least 6 drones belonging to him. :lol:

Game needs a demo for those who are iffy (just about everyone). I think it's different enough to keep my attention. A little more polish and it'd stand out even more. Worth it at $40? You'd have to be desperate for a new FPS and/or something new to play, and also dislike Crysis 2 (that'd be me...) for it to be worth it at around +$40. Do I regret my purchase? No, and I may not trade it in any time soon, either.

Got it Wednesday, played MP last night and had a blast. I haven't touched the SP yet. I'll have to check out the proxi launcher and LAV. I was in a match where our team was getting hammered by helos but no one seemed to know a good way to take them down (including me). Anyone know if it's worth shooting at them with small arms?

It's a nice change of pace to play a FPS where your connection is nowhere near as important as in blops.

The proximity rockets don't have lock on do they? I have a terrible time shooting down helicopters. The loading screens says that lmgs work well against helicopters but I have unloaded clips into the same one and not brought it down. I get tired of getting killed by helicopters. Tanks should be easier to take down as well but we were shooting rockets left and right into a couple in a match last night and they didn't seem to die quickly either. I think I died 4 or 5 times trying to kill one. What am I missing with the proximity rockets? Do i need to hit something to cause an explosion? I just shoot it like a rpg or other unguided missle at the target.

On the plus side I really like the phosporous (sp?) attack. Great for clearing out snipers off ridges or people camping under the bridges.

[quote name='Scorch']What a terrible, abrupt ending.[/QUOTE]

This.
I thought there would be something at the end of the credits atleast.

My copy arrived from Gamefly yesterday. I played the single player some and thought it was very meh. The multiplayer was average. I did like the ability to purchase abilities/items midmatch but overall I see no reason to play this over BF:BC2. I'm probably going to play through the SP and send it back.

[quote name='icandy']Here is my little review of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhdEAdEDSqM

Let me know what oyu guys think. I am starting to like it...I just dont know yet. Haha.[/QUOTE]

Not to be a dick or anything, but I don't think you did enough research on this game. It is clearly more in the Battlefield camp than in the Call of Duty camp. I can see why you would not be a big fan if you despise Battlefield. This game is defintely slower and more methodical than Call of Duty. You are playing more like it is Call of Duty, i.e. lone wolf, running around shooting guys with little strategy. When you team up with other people on your team, it is much easier to take down vehicles and hold positions.

I appreciate the review. You are honest about how you feel so it is much easier to see where you are coming from. Good job.

[quote name='Survivalism']Saying Call of Duty "does what other games don't do" is hilarious considering the entire franchise spawned as a blatant Medal of Honor ripoff. Mass appeal is absolutely not defined by quality, and vice versa.[/QUOTE]

Infinity Ward was started by Ex Medal of Honor developers. CoD is not a 'ripoff' of MoH, it's the natural progression and extension of the MoH games. It's also hard to call something a 'ripoff' of something else when the ripoff is 10x better than the original ever was.

It's fine to not like Call of Duty, but to say the games arent 'quality' titles is just silly.

There are plenty of game series I don't care for, but I wouldn't say they are crappy games or series, just that they are not my cup of tea.

Most actual crap games don't sell multi millions of copies. Mass Appeal is not proof of a quality game, but it's usually a pretty good indicator.

[quote name='kklems']The proximity rockets don't have lock on do they? I have a terrible time shooting down helicopters. The loading screens says that lmgs work well against helicopters but I have unloaded clips into the same one and not brought it down. I get tired of getting killed by helicopters. Tanks should be easier to take down as well but we were shooting rockets left and right into a couple in a match last night and they didn't seem to die quickly either. I think I died 4 or 5 times trying to kill one. What am I missing with the proximity rockets? Do i need to hit something to cause an explosion? I just shoot it like a rpg or other unguided missle at the target.

On the plus side I really like the phosporous (sp?) attack. Great for clearing out snipers off ridges or people camping under the bridges.[/QUOTE]

I've only used the proxi launcher successfully once, and I killed a helo... (I was under a lot of fire both by the helo and others on the ground). I saw the rocket take a VERY sharp angle in mid-air, near the helicopter. Not sure if it's supposed to do that. The second rocket was both through a tree and I also died immediately after I shot it, so I don't know...

I'm assuming that if you shoot it (preferably in the trajectory of the moving helo) near the helicopter, it'll gain some heat-seeking guidance and hopefully hit it. I was under the impression that it just exploded when it got near a heli, but that seems like it might not do much damage (theoretically).

Small-arms fire does hurt it, but not much. It definitely works on the Little Bird-esque helicopter (with the MG, not sure of its name in-game), but it seems like a waste on the heavier chopper.

Personally, I think Homefront is fantastic. I didn't *enjoy* the Killzone MP very much at all, and the Bulletstorm MP got old in one night... but this MP is awesome. Reminds me of old BF:1942 days, with lots of teamwork and vehicles rolling in to disrupt stuff.

The point buying system sounded awkward, but it works fantastically. I love this game in multiplayer, and the single player was fun to play a time (or two, since I'll go back and beat the hard mode as well).

If you want to just compare this game to other games (graphics, etc... although the sound is terrific), it might not stack up well. If you're looking for a FUN multiplayer game with depth and teamwork, pick it up.

[quote name='bburpee']Personally, I think Homefront is fantastic. I didn't *enjoy* the Killzone MP very much at all, and the Bulletstorm MP got old in one night... but this MP is awesome. Reminds me of old BF:1942 days, with lots of teamwork and vehicles rolling in to disrupt stuff.

The point buying system sounded awkward, but it works fantastically. I love this game in multiplayer, and the single player was fun to play a time (or two, since I'll go back and beat the hard mode as well).

If you want to just compare this game to other games (graphics, etc... although the sound is terrific), it might not stack up well. If you're looking for a FUN multiplayer game with depth and teamwork, pick it up.[/QUOTE]

If you have 15 friends to play with then yes you will find teamwork. If not then you will be frustrated by the lack of teamwork

I am really diggin' this multiplayer, but I don't think I'll be playing it all that much because my main xbox friend picked it up too, but can't seem to connect to a game. We're pretty sure it has something to do with his college connection though, which means that we can't really do anything about it :(
However, he can connect to BLOPS/NFSHP just fine

The more I play the MP the better it becomes. I am really enjoying the MP in this game. I think a lot of people will miss out by not giving the MP a full enough chance.

[quote name='Soodmeg']The more I play the MP the better it becomes. I am really enjoying the MP in this game. I think a lot of people will miss out by not giving the MP a full enough chance.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The servers have gotten much better for parties as of last night. Although, I still get disconnected nightly and end up playing BlOps.

Also, on Thursday I took a look at the leaderboards and the #1 player is already a Rank 75 and had over 3500 more kills than the Rank #2 person. He also had more than 2 days played at the time! I think at least 1 person found a way to hack the game already since the #13 player on the leaderboards was a Rank 1.

I'm enjoying it for the most part, but it's getting infuriating. Out of my first 20 games, I lost 15 of them. I watched several times as team mates ran by me to go get "into the shit", while I slowly capped. Sometimes I even died before it was fully capped, or ended up holding off 3+ enemies by myself.

I don't suppose anyone here intends to play fairly regularly, and already has a couple people they play with? I only have one person on my list that even has it, but he's never on.

Im loving this multiplayer, beware there is a RANK RESET glitch going around, be careful.

I have about 5 hrs in MP and 45 mins in SP :p

so dont judge this game solely by the SP, the MP is where it shines.

[quote name='Rhett']

I don't suppose anyone here intends to play fairly regularly, and already has a couple people they play with? I only have one person on my list that even has it, but he's never on.[/QUOTE]

I do! once the update is out, i wont play right now without the pathc due to the random rank reset glitch

I made myself sit down and finish the SP. That was seriously a short campaign and then when it ends it's a major let down. I'm glad my only monetary investment in it was from a Gamefly subscription.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']So, being a huge multiplayer guy, do you think this is worth a pickup? Been on the fence about it.[/QUOTE]

It is fun and totally worth it, if you aren't too interested in Crysis 2. You also must have have enjoyed Battlefield-esque gameplay in some way. (widespread chaos with vehicles)

There have been a few release bugs, but Kaos and THQ have been fairly quick to deal with them. A second patch is being released this upcoming week, supposedly, to fix (at the very least) pretty rare freezing issues. No idea what else it entails atm. (this is from the Homefront twitter)

Unless you absolutely need something new to play, you may want to hold off for another week and see how things are.

I find the quickest way to rank up is to use the UAV drone and just scan tons of of targets, lots of BP can be earned and even tho you dont earn kills this still goes towards your "XP"

[quote name='Rhett']I'm enjoying it for the most part, but it's getting infuriating. Out of my first 20 games, I lost 15 of them. I watched several times as team mates ran by me to go get "into the shit", while I slowly capped. Sometimes I even died before it was fully capped, or ended up holding off 3+ enemies by myself.

I don't suppose anyone here intends to play fairly regularly, and already has a couple people they play with? I only have one person on my list that even has it, but he's never on.[/QUOTE]

Guess I'm getting lucky, I play with randoms and they tend to be very focused on capping "flags". It seems I'm also much more likely to run into a chatty group than other MP games.

[quote name='ArmyOfFun']Guess I'm getting lucky, I play with randoms and they tend to be very focused on capping "flags". It seems I'm also much more likely to run into a chatty group than other MP games.[/QUOTE]

I have found the opposite, I'm almost lvl 30 and have yet to hear anyone talk. I also mainly play in the early mornings/before noon.

To get the best connection, don't play the Skirmish modes. Those aren't fully on dedicated servers yet according to Kaos. Just do TDM/GC or the Battle Commander versions of TDM/GC to get the best connections.

[quote name='dastly75']I don't know why this game is getting so much internet hate, I am enjoying it far more than COD BLOPS.[/QUOTE]

Because if anyone says that a shooter is better than COD or Halo the whole internet blows up.

I'm borrowing this game from a friend. If anyone has a spare online code, let me know. I'll even trade a few bucks Paypal for it.

If I like it enough I'll probably end up buying it.

[quote name='natiev']I have found the opposite, I'm almost lvl 30 and have yet to hear anyone talk. I also mainly play in the early mornings/before noon.[/QUOTE]

Well there's you problem. I can barely put two words together before noon. I mainly game after 5pm (EST) on weekdays.

I just realized I struggle to put two words together at almost any time, but that's besides the point.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']So, being a huge multiplayer guy, do you think this is worth a pickup? Been on the fence about it.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't that bad but you'll probably have to deal with snipers all over. That was my problem with this game. It just had snipers camping and I would take a few steps and get shot. It got frustrating so I sold it on CL for $45 to someone.

[quote name='Superstar']Because if anyone says that a shooter is better than COD or Halo the whole internet blows up.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget to include the Battlefield fanboys along with COD and HALO ones. Nothing negative can be spoken of their cherished games.

[quote name='Dr.Zoidberg']Don't forget to include the Battlefield fanboys along with COD and HALO ones. Nothing negative can be spoken of their cherished games.[/QUOTE]

Hey Battlefield is awesome, shut your mouth Zoidberg !!!

I joke of course :grouphug:

Amazon are in the process of sending me this, I got in on the $42 = $15 credit deal but the buyers remorse was kicking in a bit. That bug that causes the game not to load has me worried.:cold:

Again, I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt that its their personal taste that causes them to not like certain things.

But the atmosphere around homefront is baffling to me. Is it the best shooter ever? Naw....but it contains so many things done right that I have witnessed people bitching about in other games but refuse to give credit to this game.

Large scale battles? Check.

Dedicated Severs so that the battles actually work? Check (I dont under how this isnt mention more often.. havent we all bitched about this for a while? How does the game get no credit what so ever for having them?)

A reward system that benefits players for activating contributing in the battle while simultaneously making sure players who are just camping in the back dont reap the same benefit? Check.

Vehicles that control as they should and do have weakness as to not be overpowered. Check.

Its MAG all over again with people foolishly trying to justify their love of COD by bashing a game that cant even be compared. The games play nothing alike. Oh no, it cant possible be that maybe just maybe you are not a fan of this style of shooter (open world, more about objectives than K/D etc) and you just prefer the COD style (Maze like levels, first to the trigger, K/D orientated) over this. Nope it has to be homefront is garbage and unplayable. Even though the game works exactly as advertised on the MP side of things.

EDIT: Although there seems to be some rumbling about glitches and corruptions files but I nor my friends that play this game have run into them.

Quick double post.

I was playing BC the other day and I final got the cheesemint for 5 star threat level. It was pretty damn sweet to have everyone assigned to come kill my ass. Which they did every quickly after getting it.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Although there seems to be some rumbling about glitches and corruptions files but I nor my friends that play this game have run into them.[/QUOTE]

I had 1 freeze coming out of a match. Had to hard boot. My connection was garbage too.

this is why i love amazon. i got an email today about the pre order avatar outfit code that none of us got....or at least i didnt get it.

Hello,

We’re writing to let you know there’s been a delay in the delivery of the pre-order codes for the Homefront Avatar Outfits. We’re working with THQ to send these pre-order codes to you as soon as possible.

We're very sorry about this delay, and to make up for any inconvenience, we’re providing you with a $5 Video Games credit.

now im really tempted to pre order crysis 2 with 20 bucks off, but i think i'll just wait and use my credit towards L.A. Noire

I played a match earlier while I had some spare time. I enjoyed what I played. Granted it was only about 10 minutes or so, but it was pretty fluid. I'd love to try and play with an actual team that communicates and works together.

The reviews of the game are totally off, and i think its because they didnt get a payoff from Thq/kaos probably cuz they couldnt afford it (like activision and ea could with their games).

it combines elements of the "best" fps games: drones from kz3, vehicles and large maps from bfbc2, and loadouts (weapon customization/perks) from call of duty. the gameplay is also a mix of the three.

i havent played the single player yet, but honestly, who cares much about if a FPS has a remarkable single player. you only play it once or twice before sticking with multiplayer, and this multiplayer is pretty good. i think the graphics arent outstanding because of how much is going on: a lot of players with vehicles and drones on fairly large maps. to keep it fluid and not laggy, there had to be some detraction somewhere.

its definitely better than killzone 3 and crysis 2 (im basing that on the crysis 2 demo which was pulled off the PSN within 24 hours of its release). the only FPS that i can see besting this in the upcoming releases is brink. i say its worth checking out if you like killzone, bfbc2, or cod.

seriously i think someone was payed off here

the game is like playing half life and these days most games only have a crappy excuse of a champain and mostly focus on multiplayer.

are people mad it doesnt play the exact same as cod or something? i love that the combat is a bit more realistic too. :)

You know, before I took this game back (rental), I decided to try the multiplayer. It took forever to join a game, but it finally did. I waited for the game to start.. and waited.. and waited.. and then the game kicked me out of the lobby for "being idle". The ironing is delicious.

If you're still on the fence about this game, don't be - it's a rental through and through. I never got to try the multiplayer. Oh well, maybe one day.

[quote name='Scorch']You know, before I took this game back (rental), I decided to try the multiplayer. It took forever to join a game, but it finally did. I waited for the game to start.. and waited.. and waited.. and then the game kicked me out of the lobby for "being idle". The ironing is delicious.

If you're still on the fence about this game, don't be - it's a rental through and through. I never got to try the multiplayer. Oh well, maybe one day.[/QUOTE]

Multiplayer is the majority of the game. I traded in my copy already and I still wouldn't say it is a rental through and through. The MP has some very interesting concepts that are implemented fairly well. If you can forgive some of the flaws, have a few friends that will join in with you and can commit to making this your top shooter for awhile I would wholeheartedly recommend the game.

My friends are all moving on to Crysis 2 and I couldn't see myself playing this enough to stay at the level of higher players so that's what drove my decision to trade it in. If Crysis 2 wasn't out this week I probably would have held onto Homefront for awhile.

That all said SP was a total turd for me. I didn't like it at all and the game lost my save halfway through.

For anyone worried about losing their rank permanently, a temporary fix has been found.

Basically, if you lose your rank: don't play any games at rank 1. Dashboard, load the game back up, go to your Armory to guarantee it's all reset. Go to the Xbox Live lobby, and check to see if your rank is back. If not, repeat.

I'm level 32 now, though, without seeing this happen. Still not sure what causes it...

Still enjoying the game, though. It almost feels like a retro FPS, with leveling elements, and Counter-Strike-esque currency. I kinda wish I could play it on PC.

[quote name='jkanownik']
My friends are all moving on to Crysis 2 and I couldn't see myself playing this enough to stay at the level of higher players so that's what drove my decision to trade it in. If Crysis 2 wasn't out this week I probably would have held onto Homefront for awhile..[/QUOTE]

thinkin about trading it in for crysis 2 as well. did you get crysis yet? can you tell me if it was worth the trade or should i stick with homefront?

bread's done
Back