If the OTT dies, it dies

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Pancake Rabbit']Carcassone is the truth once you get the hang of it.[/QUOTE]
since it's free I'll give it a shot sometime.

[quote name='mr ryles']I'm just gonna go buy a little fold up camp shovel and see if I can't dig one up.[/quote]

Why don't you just buy one of the little ones that all the gift shops in the southwest have. You can buy em for a few bucks and save yourself the trouble of getting beat up by a stupid cactus that you're not gonna be able to dig up.

If you like Carcassonne, try out Settlers of Catan.

If I ever manage to get a 360, I'm going to kick everyone's ass in it.

Marten is reading this somewhere, and should expect this to be a challenge.

[quote name='Warner1281']Why don't you just buy one of the little ones that all the gift shops in the southwest have. You can buy em for a few bucks and save yourself the trouble of getting beat up by a stupid cactus that you're not gonna be able to dig up.[/QUOTE]
not the same, I want my cactus to be fuckin hardcore, a cactus that I can say I went out into the wild and captured. Then put it in a clay pot next to my TV.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']fuck.

You win.

Or lose.[/quote]

Well, I'm paid hourly and overtime is not allowed. So, I took some extra time off last Friday and probably will sneak out early another day too,

[quote name='Dkellar']Well, I'm paid hourly and overtime is not allowed. So, I took some extra time off last Friday and probably will sneak out early another day too,[/QUOTE]

Ah gotcha. So...kinda win.

I typically only get 35 hours a week but with Thanksgiving coming up, the whole printing schedule is skewed so I'm working "overtime" this week.

[quote name='wubb']I need to get a 360. I'm very close to breaking down and buying one.[/quote]

all of a sudden i have an urge to get one, but goddamnit, that's so much money right there.

[quote name='Strell']If you like Carcassonne, try out Settlers of Catan.

If I ever manage to get a 360, I'm going to kick everyone's ass in it.

Marten is reading this somewhere, and should expect this to be a challenge.[/QUOTE]

Catan is hard, I played a few games and got the premise of it figured out, but I never win.

[quote name='Pancake Rabbit']I tried the demo of Catan when it first came out and I was all sorts of confused.[/QUOTE]

Think of it as Reverse Monopoly.

Instead of moving around the board and paying rent when you land on a property, you just have the property at the beginning of the game. Then, if someone rolls a number you have control of, you get a resource. So it's like they are paying rent to you, because they've "landed" on your property.

I.e., you have a settlement at the center of three hexes in Catan. One hex is labeled 6, one if 5, and the other is 11. So if a 5, 6, or 11 gets rolled, you get a resource from the corresponding hex, as if someone had rolled one of those numbers and landed on one of your properties.

You use these resources to build stuff. So if you get a brick and a timber, you build a road. Branch off the roads and you can build settlements in new areas, potentially taking control of new numbers or doubling up on numbers you already have a stake in.

So if you have a settlement at a 5/6/11 conjunction and another at a 6/11/12 conjunction, rolling a 6 or 11 is doubly good for you, because you get two resources.

That's the basis of the game - picking out prime places that will get you max resources quickly, and then using those resources to build out to other areas. Again, a lot like Monopoly, just that you don't move around the board with a dog or shoe or iron or battleship.

Once you understand that, the rest is just little rules to pick up on.

I found a site that lets you play Catan (against either AI or other people) for free and got the hang of it. Fun game.

[quote name='Outlaw']What is an "OTT" ?[/QUOTE]

Off Topic Topic

[quote name='mr ryles']sounds like you've done this before. Give some tips on how to go about it. ;)[/quote]
I don't know how to extract it from the buttons as far as what else goes with it... but I have a neat story from when I was 16.

Don't read if you don't wanna waste your time reading a story about drugs. :D
Spring Break came around and my friend invited a bunch of us hunting/drinking/whatever. We get out to his ranch and he hands each of us a key, a knife, a flashlight, and a potato sack... walks us to the garage and theres six grizzlies (four wheelers) and describes to us what we should be looking for. After wandering in the dark for like 4 hours + we each had completely filled sacks of buttons of peyote and we cleaned 'em, picked out all the flowery shit and he cut 'em up, drained the juices, mixed it with somethin' else, and let it sit till the morning. Woke up in the morning and he had all this gooey little balls attached to a long ass string sitting out in the sun (mescaline)... and we went straight from his ranch to the island and had the weirdest week ever. ^__^ It tasted like complete shit, as if you were eating dirt or something. That's chroo mescaline though, a lot of people just mix pcp/lsd and deal it as that. I don't think I'd ever do it again cause after the first night most of us got really fuckin' sick. T'was kinda cool walking around with a necklace w/ mescaline beads on it though. :D

[quote name='wubb']I found a site that lets you play Catan (against either AI or other people) for free and got the hang of it. Fun game.
[/QUOTE]

Probably AsoBrain, with their "Xplorers" knockoff.

It's still good, but there's some serious issues over there. It's java, the sound effects are this creepy Children-of-the-Corn voice, and it can be INFURIATING when you play with only 2 other people, since inevitably they can be total dicks the whole time.

[quote name='Strell']Probably AsoBrain, with their "Xplorers" knockoff.

It's still good, but there's some serious issues over there. It's java, the sound effects are this creepy Children-of-the-Corn voice, and it can be INFURIATING when you play with only 2 other people, since inevitably they can be total dicks the whole time.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's the site. Couldn't remember the url and was too lazy to do a google.

I generally just play against the AI, although I haven't in a good while now. I can't stand sitting there waiting for somebody to move when you can't see or talk to them. The AI isn't terribly tough.

I don't know if it works in real life games, but on there I often try to squat on a 2:1 resource port if I notice that resource has a sweet spot somewhere on the board. (For example a junction with 2 or 3 of that same resource and at least 2 numbers in the 5-9 range.) Grab the sweet spot with my first village and the port with my second, or vice versa if I have the double pick position.

[quote name='TFN']I don't know how to extract it from the buttons as far as what else goes with it... but I have a neat story from when I was 16.

Don't read if you don't wanna waste your time reading a story about drugs. :D
Spring Break came around and my friend invited a bunch of us hunting/drinking/whatever. We get out to his ranch and he hands each of us a key, a knife, a flashlight, and a potato sack... walks us to the garage and theres six grizzlies (four wheelers) and describes to us what we should be looking for. After wandering in the dark for like 4 hours + we each had completely filled sacks of buttons of peyote and we cleaned 'em, picked out all the flowery shit and he cut 'em up, drained the juices, mixed it with somethin' else, and let it sit till the morning. Woke up in the morning and he had all this gooey little balls attached to a long ass string sitting out in the sun (mescaline)... and we went straight from his ranch to the island and had the weirdest week ever. ^__^ It tasted like complete shit, as if you were eating dirt or something. That's chroo mescaline though, a lot of people just mix pcp/lsd and deal it as that. I don't think I'd ever do it again cause after the first night most of us got really fuckin' sick. T'was kinda cool walking around with a necklace w/ mescaline beads on it though. :D
[/QUOTE]

damn rednecks.

Who was going to gas baby chickens? A shelter? Shouldn't they be raised to young adulthood and then turned into delicous nuggets?

[quote name='crystalklear64']Holy dicks! My roomate "rescued" some baby chickens from being gassed, and they are now chilling with me while he goes to class.[/quote]
Awesome. I wanna see! Pixznow!

TFN, I need that peyote/Mesc hookup fo REALZ.

[quote name='wubb']Yep, that's the site. Couldn't remember the url and was too lazy to do a google.

I generally just play against the AI, although I haven't in a good while now. I can't stand sitting there waiting for somebody to move when you can't see or talk to them. The AI isn't terribly tough.

I don't know if it works in real life games, but on there I often try to squat on a 2:1 resource port if I notice that resource has a sweet spot somewhere on the board. (For example a junction with 2 or 3 of that same resource and at least 2 numbers in the 5-9 range.) Grab the sweet spot with my first village and the port with my second, or vice versa if I have the double pick position.[/QUOTE]

I've decided I need to try that exact strategy more. I usually try to position myself with access to every resource, but inevitably, there's one or two I'd be deficient in (like, I'll have 6/9/12, with 12 being grain, meaning I have virtually no chance of ever getting it). But on some level it makes sense, because I'm convincing myself "Yeah, but now I can potentially get everything."

I think trading with other people and having ports are one of those things you just learn you have to do. That and knowing when you need to change your strategy to block other people from points (such as longest road/largest army).

It's a very well thought out game.

The Knights and Cities expansion makes it about a fuckload times more complex, though.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']Where the fuck are the other people in the office?

Longest lunch ever.[/QUOTE]

Clearly they were gassing baby chickens to turn into McNuggets. Guess they wanted to do it from scratch.

Blame CK64 and his roomie. He has your adorable lunch in a decidedly non-lunch state. Because it's still alive, you see.

[quote name='getmeoutofjoliet']Awesome. I wanna see! Pixznow!

[/QUOTE]
Dunno how they are going to react to the camera flash, so I'm gonna wait a little bit till my roomate leaves so he doesn't freak out if something happens.

[quote name='getmeoutofjoliet']Awesome. I wanna see! Pixznow!

[/quote]
Have you ever tried it? Eating the buttons on its own is the most horrid shit ever. Its like someone poured a glass of old milk in your mouth and then you took a bite of a plum.

If you know how to make it yourself I'm sure I could probably get ya some peyote. :D

Shit grows in some peoples backyards here.

You need quite a big amount too, we had potato sacks full of buttons. As in 100+ per person and we only got like a pickle jar full of the junk.

I usually favor forest and earth (or whatever it's called - clay maybe?) spots since those two buy you roads and let you build out quickly.

I also tend to bone the AI on that site by refusing any deal they offer (unless I really need a particular resource) only to offer that same deal back to them once it's my turn. Real people would certainly quickly grow tired of that strategy and never trade with me unless really desperate, but the AI doesn't really care.

[quote name='Strell']
Blame CK64 and his roomie. He has your adorable lunch in a decidedly non-lunch state. Because it's still alive, you see.[/quote]

and this is a problem because you can't eat them alive?

i'm lost here...

[quote name='Strell']Clearly they were gassing baby chickens to turn into McNuggets. Guess they wanted to do it from scratch.

Blame CK64 and his roomie. He has your adorable lunch in a decidedly non-lunch state. Because it's still alive, you see.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Two of 'em just came back.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']and this is a problem because you can't eat them alive?

i'm lost here...[/QUOTE]

The only thing I eat alive is your mom.

Wubb: Yeah, lumber and brick (or clay, since I've found everyone calls everything by different names) is good to start with because of that exact reason. You can theoretically block people off too, just for the hell of it.

I tend to favor rock and grain for the upgrade potential.

[quote name='Pancake Rabbit']Is it possible to get Zerg rushed in Catan? Also is one race extremely overpowered?[/QUOTE]

It's possible to get Zerg crushed in everything.

Damn, I really need to get down to the Valley. I know my best friends' family comes from there, and I know I got some family down there, Damned if I know who they are, but still. If I had Mesc. back here in the Party scene it would be;
$$$ $$$ $$$

Chicks1.jpg

Chicks2.jpg

Grabbed a box from the recycling bins outside, shredded some paper, and grabbed an extra towel. Roomie had some feed (he's crazy into chickens, he wins chicken shows* all the time)

*yes there is such a thing and we give him shit about it all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back