If you can't slam with the best (aka RPG Thread XVIII), then jam with the rest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Erad30']Honestly for JRPGs you might be better off with a 3DS than a PS4, it'll probably have a better selection.[/QUOTE]

True, but I'm thinking more about the vast library of old school PS1 and PS2 games that are bound to be available on PSN/Gaikai(sp?). I've never owned a Sony console, so there's a lot of catching up to do.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I'm going wherever FFXV is going.[/QUOTE]

Anyone else here think Versus 13 will just be renamed to XV? SE never gives up when it comes to FF, why else would they shut down and make a new engine from the ground up for FF14arr.

Because letting an MMO sink will pretty much doom any developer financially?

Versus is rumored to be XV, but I don't expect it to return in any recognizable form. Their gameplay footage was extremely lacking and I'd imagine they scrapped the entire project, keeping some assets for rebuilding but ultimately rethinking everything.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Versus is rumored to be XV, but I don't expect it to return in any recognizable form. Their gameplay footage was extremely lacking and I'd imagine they scrapped the entire project, keeping some assets for rebuilding but ultimately rethinking everything.[/QUOTE]

This.

We'll see whatever it has become at E3.

[quote name='GhostShark']So far, the bosses have been pretty easy in FFVI, but I am willing to bet that they get harder. Just left Zozo. The story is awesome. And so is Celes and Sabin.[/QUOTE]
i don't remember any bosses being legit hard.

there's some gimmicks but i don't think there's anything that are straight up brawls.

Now I'm playing Sticker Star again, that sort of counts as an rpg. I'm really hating how sticker management works though. Might be enough to make me stop but I'm on world 3 and won't have any new 3DS titles until Project X Zone so I might at least try to beat it before then.

Wasn't FF Verses 13 supposed to be an action game? I never really followed it too closely, but I do remember hearing it had no relationship to the other FF 13 games at all, so I always wondered why they were putting 13 in the title in the first place.

Anyway, I beat Resonance of Fate. Still want to finish the Neverland dungeon, but damn those are some tough fights. Might come back to it later.

I think I will jump back into Ni No Kuni for awhile now.

[quote name='icebeast']Celes is the greatest character of all time. :hot:[/QUOTE]

I like all the characters of the cast, but Celes, Sabin and Locke stick out as the best for me. I'm even partial to Gau even though he is just a male Ayla.

FF6 has so many great characters, I like how you weren't limited to always having the Main Character in your party, like FF7,8, etc. and the Final dungeon was fun. Mog, Cyan and Shadow are probably my favorite

I would even go so far as to say that the game doesn't really have a main character. It bounces back and forth between characters.

Yeah, the story revolves around Terra at first, but FFVI is really an ensemble story. In fact
you don't even gave to get Terra in The World of Ruin, you start as Celes and recruit everyone except for Setzer & Edgar IIRC . I think Locke and Celes's stories are more fleshed out by the end of the game.

heh, spoiler tag for a 19 year old game.. now lets talk about how FF6 is like Star Wars, true story.

Last edited by a moderator:
FF VI was just epic in every way. They don't make RPGs like this very often. You pilot multiple airships, rafts, mechs, mine carts, and an entire castle that burrows underground, swim along an underwater trench current, and even ride a ghost train to hell. You witness a riviting opera performance, chemical warfare that leads to genocide, and are helpless to stop the ruination of the entire world. Wonderful characters are brought to life by expressive emotions that pull you into their individual stories like few games of any genre. All being pushed along a story that revolves around Kefka, a clown who starts off as a low-level toadie, a joke of an enemy, to someone who brings the entire world to the brink of destruction and beyond. RPGs don't get no better than this.

In other news, the Tales of Symphonia collection is happening. Confirmed for Japan on PS3 October this year, and US/Europe sometime next year.

[quote name='Krymner']In other news, the Tales of Symphonia collection is happening. Confirmed for Japan on PS3 October this year, and US/Europe sometime next year.[/QUOTE]
New high-end figures of Lloyd and Zelos, too (keeping an eye on the latter; Zelos was one of my favorite Symphonia characters), as well as some other merchandise.

[quote name='Indignate']In FFIV you commit genocide and than realize that you'd look better with your hair flowing in the wind.

GOTY.[/QUOTE]
that helmet must be super musty.

Party's at level 27 in Etrian Odyssey IV and I am loving the SHIT outta this game!

Is there any quick/easy way to get back to a point in a dungeon after exiting? I use an ariadne thread (usually to go back to town to sell shit cuz inventory is full, not cuz I'm needing a rest) but then have to trudge all the way back down to whatever floor I was in...

What's the point of the pole stones? They warp you to the last used entrance/stair/warp pillar but can't be used from towns (to just teleport back into a dungeon). Why would you use those insteade of an ariadne thread?

[quote name='Zmonkay']Party's at level 27 in Etrian Odyssey IV and I am loving the SHIT outta this game!

Is there any quick/easy way to get back to a point in a dungeon after exiting? I use an ariadne thread (usually to go back to town to sell shit cuz inventory is full, not cuz I'm needing a rest) but then have to trudge all the way back down to whatever floor I was in...[/QUOTE]
My party's currently around Level 36 or so. If previous Etrian Odysseys are any indication, I'm just about at (or close to) the halfway mark.

As far as I know, no, there's no way to get back to a deeper floor in a maze after exiting. The shortcuts make backtracking a bit easier, thankfully.

[quote name='Zmonkay']What's the point of the pole stones? They warp you to the last used entrance/stair/warp pillar but can't be used from towns (to just teleport back into a dungeon). Why would you use those insteade of an ariadne thread?[/QUOTE]
I guess their advantage is that they're cheaper than Ariadne Threads plus you can get back to a pole and save without having to leave the dungeon. However, they're pretty useless for me, too; I also tend to stick with Ariadne Threads.

Managed to finish FFXIII-2. I might've been underleved or something but that last boss took FOREVER. Like at least an hour. Probably moving onto X-Com: Enemy Unknown next.

maaaaaaaaan let me tell u guys about Breath of Fire Dragon Q.

I wanna like this game, I really do, but what ruins it for me is Save Points of all things...

they are way too far in between, and even when you do find one you can only save if you have a Save Token item.

which means u cant play conservatively, u really needa be very firm in what you're doing and save only when necessary, only after you've been sitting at the game for over an hour once the next save point appears.

game is supposed to be like 30 hours, and I'm all for playing a 30 hour game, but it needs to be 30 hours on my own terms. I'm old now, I cant play as much as I want, and if I have 45 minutes to spare an evening I'll be extremely reluctant to spend it on this game.

I put FF7 on hold and finally started Gravity Rush. Man this game is great. I think I'm a 1/3 through the story. Now I'm just going around fixing the town and doing challenges so I can get enough gems to level up.

I'm done with Ni No Kuni. Made it to the final form of the final boss of the final bosses, got him down to a sliver of health, but then he killed me and I rage quit with an epic string of profanity. I'm gonna just Youtube the ending and move on. Its a fun game, kinda drags at the end, but I'm in the mood for something else. Not sure what yet, though.

Speaking of long-overdue Squeenix games, what's everyone's thoughts about the rumor that Final Fantasy Versus XIII is going to be Final Fantasy XV? Here's the basis for said rumors (from this week's The X Button):

The best evidence for Versus becoming Final Fantasy XIII may come from fashions and perfumes. Roen, a Japanese clothing company, was originally tapped for design work on Versus back in 2008, and the firm's online bio mentioned them working on Final Fantasy XV earlier this year. In a turn less likely to be coincidence, there's a new eau-de-toilette named after Noctis, the hero of Final Fantasy Versus XIII. As game-industry legend Nick Des Barres observed on Twitter, other character-based Final Fantasy scents are branded with specific game titles, but the Noctis one is simply called “Final Fantasy” with no Versus in sight.
It's an interesting theory, but they'd have to buff up those graphics some. I mean, they're seven years old now...

I really never expected Verses XIII to be released anyway. I always thought they would shift it to Vita and rename it The World Ends With You Too or something lamer.

I started White Knight Chronicles II. Beat the first game and thought it was ok.

Made it to the World of Ruin in Final Fantasy 6. This is getting to be a chore fighting these monsters with an underdeveloped Celes, but I guess now is the best time to Esper her up. 

It's an interesting theory, but they'd have to buff up those graphics some. I mean, they're seven years old now...
It didn't look good 7 years ago, either. Let's be honest. They scrapped it and may have reused some assets for FF15, but altogether, Versus is no more. We won't see that game again, or it's going to look completely different next time we do.

for some reason i started playing valkyria chronicles 3. i've had it for years but only picked it up now.

it's funny because my confidence in japanese went up when it comes to general use, but when i play this game i'm not sure i understand it at all.

pretty cool how you can switch your characters classes though. haven't experimented with it yet because you still have to level up the classes themselves by accomplishing objectives... but i expect it to be really broken later on.

I'm about to start episode 9 on Gravity Rush. I'm trying to leveling Kat's abilities as much as I can but I hate that I have to collect gems to level her up. The challenges are fun but they keep kicking my ass. I Silvered each challenge but I'd mess up when I go for the Gold.

Gravity Rush is an RPG? Actual question here-- I really don't know much of anything about that game, but I got the impression it was more of an action/adventure title.

I wouldn't consider it an RPG at all. Definitely more action/adventure.

Question for people who have beaten FFXII. I just got to Phon Coast. Any insight to how far along I am story-wise?

Probably around 70%

mmmmm

601800_10151409438817653_601820846_n.jpg

Terrible design. Just bad. But I will still play it because I played the other two and I'd feel bad not playing this one. 

Along with FF6, I started playing YS: Origins. I have no idea what is going on, but I dig the game so far. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back