Ign's Top 25 PS3 games

casamh

CAGiversary!
IGN recently published their top 25 PS3 Games, and I find it lacking. I am sick of
COD just like everyone else, but Modern Warfare was a pivot release for this generation. I also think Skyrim should be one here somewhere. Thoughts?

01 - Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
02 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
03 - Mass Effect 2
04 - Fallout 3
05 - Portal 2
06 - Heavy Rain
07 - Infamous 2
08 - Batman: Arkham City
09 - Resistance 3
10 - Red Dead Redemption
11 - Mass Effect 3
12 - Batman: Arkham Asylum
13 - LittleBigPlanet 2
14 - Grand Theft Auto IV
15 - God Of War III
16 - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
17 - BioShock
18 - Catherine
19 - Vanquish
20 - Saint's Row: The Third
21 - Infamous
22 - Valkyria Chronicles
23 - Dead Space 2
24 - Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time
25 - Spec Ops: The Line

1) Demons Souls should be on the list
2) Uncharted 3 is not better than Uncharted 2
3) Am I blind, or am I not seeing Metal Gear Solid 4 on this list. But yet Spec Ops the line is?

Thoughts:

Bioshock is too low.

UC2 is better than UC3 wtf are they smoking.

I like that they put Saints Row in there but GTA IV sucked so I dont know what happened there.

How the fuck do you put infamous 1 and 2 in different spots but leave out games like Demons Souls?

Umm, Journey?

I understand Resistance 3 might have been underrated and I havent played it much, but does it deserve that spot over some of the other games?

[quote name='Salamando3000']No fighting games at all? No Assassin's Creed? No Metal Gear Solid 4? And Saint's Row should definitely rank higher than GTA4.[/QUOTE]

The only person that cares about fighting games at IGN is their Wiki/Guides leader Mark Ryan, no one else there plays them. Same thing with sports games, they just dump them on Greg Miller b/c he's the only one that sorta likes them. They have to give driving games to their contributors as that used to be Chris Roper's specialty but they fired him 2 years ago. All the MGS fans have left and the only MGS game that gets any love from the current IGN PS crew is Peace Walker by Greg Miller. Colin Moriarity won't play ANY PS3 game w/o trophies.

[quote name='panzerfaust']IGN is bad at what it does and should feel bad about it.

Stop going there.[/QUOTE]
This.

Uncharted 3 was such a huge letdown after 2. The conclusion and any hint of character work was thrown out in the second half of the game and was just a hack rush job. Really, no memorable puzzles and the shooting even after update was terrible. Yet, it's the best PS3 game? Go fuck yourselves, IGN.

People really take these lists too seriously.Like Panzer said it's IGN,so that should already be reason enough to take their lists with a grain of salt.

[quote name='mars009']Where do you guys usually go for reviews and what not? I have always wondered that, but always forget to ask[/QUOTE]

Honestly I don't really read reviews anymore. Most are so slanted it's obvious there is bias in the writing or the website, and many times I simply disagree with the reviewer's points.

I pretty much know what types of game(s) I will enjoy, and have a reasonable enough backlog that I never have a shortage of things I want to play.

I do, however, enjoy listening to what Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck have to say about random titles. But I don't think they have ever talked about a game I was previously uninterested in and made me want to buy/play it.

[quote name='casamh']

03 - Mass Effect 2 - Multiplatform
04 - Fallout 3 - Multiplatform
05 - Portal 2 - Multiplatform
06 - Heavy Rain
07 - Infamous 2
08 - Batman: Arkham City - Multiplatform
09 - Resistance 3
10 - Red Dead Redemption - Multiplatform
11 - Mass Effect 3 - Multiplatform
12 - Batman: Arkham Asylum - Multiplatform
13 - LittleBigPlanet 2
14 - Grand Theft Auto IV - Multiplatform
15 - God Of War III
17 - BioShock - Multiplatform
18 - Catherine - Multiplatform
19 - Vanquish - Multiplatform
20 - Saint's Row: The Third - Multiplatform
21 - Infamous
22 - Valkyria Chronicles
23 - Dead Space 2 - Multiplatform
25 - Spec Ops: The Line - Multiplatform[/QUOTE]

It's hard to take a PS3 top 25 games list when over half of it is multiplatform games. So let's see how many games are PS3 exclusives.

06 - Heavy Rain
07 - Infamous 2
09 - Resistance 3
13 - LittleBigPlanet 2
15 - God Of War III
21 - Infamous
22 - Valkyria Chronicles

11 games. . .So yes, they should've just done a top 10 and cut one out. IMO anyway.

Is it bad I haven't played either Batman game?

MGS4 didn't really make an impression on me, and I love the series, so I'm okay with it not being there. I thought the list was ok and do believe that if you buy a PS3 the #1 and #2 games you have to play are Uncharted 2 and 3.

Skyrim should be top 5 IMO and the fact that its not in the top 25 is crazy. Yeah, it had major problems but Bethesda has kept at it and improved it greatly, so as much as people want to talk shit about it, nobody can say Bethesda has abandoned it or it's not a must play on the platform. Amazing game.

Gran Turismo 5 is another title that has seen significant improvement after launch. You can now buy and install parts right after races instead of having to back out to the home menu...for whateer that's worth!

My top 10
Portal 2
Uncharted 2
Infamous 2
Skyrim
Red Dead Redemption
God of War 3
Heavy Rain
Gran Turismo 5
Uncharted 3
Infamous

This is just a list and strictly opinion, not fact!

How in good faith could anyone put Uncharted 3 over Uncharted 2? I mean really? And how on Earth could anyone think Arkham City is better than Arkham Asylum?

IGNorant

[quote name='Abear21']Is it bad I haven't played either Batman game?

MGS4 didn't really make an impression on me, and I love the series, so I'm okay with it not being there. I thought the list was ok and do believe that if you buy a PS3 the #1 and #2 games you have to play are Uncharted 2 and 3.

Skyrim should be top 5 IMO and the fact that its not in the top 25 is crazy. Yeah, it had major problems but Bethesda has kept at it and improved it greatly, so as much as people want to talk shit about it, nobody can say Bethesda has abandoned it or it's not a must play on the platform. Amazing game.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but Skyrim is still terrible on PS3; so bad they don't want to put the DLC out on it yet b/c they know the shitstorm that will come, led by Miller & Moriarity on IGN. Oblivion, Fallout 3, & Fallout NV all still have major bugs years after release. Nothing from Todd Howard's studio should sniff a top X list on PS3 IMO.

Edit: Just saw F3 is No. 4, F that, horribly overrated for PS3. If you want it that high on 360, sure, but not PS3.

Everyone stop complaining about MGS4 not being on the list. That game was garbage and a huge let down. It didn't even feel like a stealth game. They followed up one of the greatest game of all time in snake eater with that shit? I was severely disappointed in the gameplay. RDR should be top 3 easily, though.

[quote name='wwe101']Everyone stop complaining about MGS4 not being on the list. That game was garbage and a huge let down. It didn't even feel like a stealth game. They followed up one of the greatest game of all time in snake eater with that shit? I was severely disappointed in the gameplay. RDR should be top 3 easily, though.[/QUOTE]

To each their own but w/o MGS 4 PS3 would have been where the Vita is at now, DOA. That game kept the PS3 relevant from June 08 until the Slim was out in fall 09 & people could afford it.

I always thought Uncharted 2 was different than Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 3's biggest fault was that it followed the formula for Uncharted 2 too much.

Uncharted 2 is the best game this generation in my opinion.

[quote name='mars009']Where do you guys usually go for reviews and what not? I have always wondered that, but always forget to ask[/QUOTE]

Metacritic, just to see an overview of what many critics think and why they like / dislike a title, I like classic game room on youtube, as he does more niche stuff. Gametrailers.com does some fair reviews as well, I usually go there to look at footage and make my mind up before buying something.

But I usually will just look for gameplay footage and make my mind up, but those are my go to's otherwise.

[quote name='MSUHitman']All the MGS fans have left and the only MGS game that gets any love from the current IGN PS crew is Peace Walker by Greg Miller. Colin Moriarity won't play ANY PS3 game w/o trophies.[/QUOTE]

Then there's no excuse not to play it now is there. I actually caught myself a few weeks ago wondering why I wasn't getting any trophies in saint's row 2, then was like who gives a shit, just play it and enjoy the damn thing. :lol: I almost became "one of them". ;)

As far as the list is concerned, I own pretty much everything on there, so they are all decent quality, the best, I dunno, they're not what I would have chosen overall, but hey I don't get paid to play and write about them for a living, so...

[quote name='hankmecrankme']It's hard to take a PS3 top 25 games list when over half of it is multiplatform games. So let's see how many games are PS3 exclusives.

06 - Heavy Rain
07 - Infamous 2
09 - Resistance 3
13 - LittleBigPlanet 2
15 - God Of War III
21 - Infamous
22 - Valkyria Chronicles

11 games. . .So yes, they should've just done a top 10 and cut one out. IMO anyway.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, if they were going to do it right it should have been top 25 PS3 exclusives, I know there are some great multi-platform games, but that doesn't give a person a reason to buy the system if they already have one of the others.

[quote name='uncle5555']Agreed, if they were going to do it right it should have been top 25 PS3 exclusives, I know there are some great multi-platform games, but that doesn't give a person a reason to buy the system if they already have one of the others.[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

They should have made it a list of exclusives and included PSN games (hello? Flower, PJ Eden, Journey, etc.)

[quote name='KingBroly']How in good faith could anyone put Uncharted 3 over Uncharted 2? I mean really? And how on Earth could anyone think Arkham City is better than Arkham Asylum?

IGNorant[/QUOTE]

It's a tight race but I think 3 was better. They're both pretty linear(and have the same control faults), but 2 felt like I was being ushered down every corridor while I was free to explore(to an extent) in 3.

While I don't feel that they need to limit a list like this to PS3 exclusives, I do feel that they should focus on titles that are representative of the system. Mass Effect 2 sits quite high on the list, but was ported to the PS3 quite a bit after the fact, and is generally not associated with the PS3. Likewise Fallout 3 was much more representative of the XBox 360 and PC.

This list looks more like a recent popularity contest than an attempt to record some of the best games for the PS3. At this point in the console's life-cycle, we should be seeing best-of lists that encompass the entire history of the system, not just the most popular titles at present.

I agree that Uncharted 2 is better than 3 (3 is still awesome though). Haven't played MGS4 yet, but planning to soon. I thought Resistance 3 was terrible but maybe I'm alone on that one.

Seems ridiculous that a flavor-of-the-month like Spec Ops is on there but no Call of Duty 4, Demon's Souls, MGS, or even Final Fantasy XIII.

[quote name='panzerfaust']IGN is bad at what it does and should feel bad about it.

Stop going there.[/QUOTE]
To be fair, it's not like anyone ever makes a "top X list" that isn't complete and utter balls.

I should make a top ten list of the top ten worst top ten lists.

[quote name='The Crotch']To be fair, it's not like anyone ever makes a "top X list" that isn't complete and utter balls.

I should make a top ten list of the top ten worst top ten lists.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the problem is they try to be all inclusive and it just doesn't work. No one loves every genre of games (or music, or films etc.).

It's hard enough to make a list of say the 10 best fighting games on a console or whatever that won't piss people off, much less to make an overall best of list.

But of course, pissing people off and generating discussion is the point of making best of lists. It's free word of mouth marketing for a site or magazine as it gets people posting about them on message boards, sharing the lists on social media etc.

I noticed no FFXIII on the list. Regardless of opinion that game, it deserves a spot on this list. There was a large base who loved the game and many others who thought it was good. It was a big release and I am surprised it didn't show up.

[quote name='wwe101']Everyone stop complaining about MGS4 not being on the list. That game was garbage and a huge let down. It didn't even feel like a stealth game. They followed up one of the greatest game of all time in snake eater with that shit? I was severely disappointed in the gameplay. RDR should be top 3 easily, though.[/QUOTE]

MGS3 is my favorite of that series but MGS4 was very fun to the masses like me.

[quote name='momouchi']I noticed no FFXIII on the list. Regardless of opinion that game, it deserves a spot on this list. There was a large base who loved the game and many others who thought it was good. It was a big release and I am surprised it didn't show up.[/QUOTE]
Come on now.

Lists are dumb, but why is Catherine even on there? Sure, it's unique but not really that great of a game.

Valkyria Chronicles at #22 makes me sad.

[quote name='KneeKnee']I always thought Uncharted 2 was different than Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 3's biggest fault was that it followed the formula for Uncharted 2 too much.

Uncharted 2 is the best game this generation in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I agree with both sentiments. I would rank the original Uncharted ahead of Uncharted 3, just ever so slightly. The story of Uncharted 3 felt incomplete. It seemed like they were more focused on the MP, having over-the-top moments and Drake fall through floors rather than the characters and story.

[quote name='Rodimus']

Valkyria Chronicles at #22 makes me sad.[/QUOTE]

I'd put it in my top 10. I get that SRPGs are that popular and I'm not a huge fan myself, but that game was wonderful.

I'd also stick one of the Yakuzas in the top 25.

List is complete garbage I would have at least stuck to PS3 exclusives . Looks like they also avoided listing any of the online centric games like Warhawk and MAG

[quote name='casamh']
03 - Mass Effect 2
04 - Fallout 3
06 - Heavy Rain
07 - Infamous 2
12 - Batman: Arkham Asylum
14 - Grand Theft Auto IV
17 - BioShock
19 - Vanquish
21 - Infamous
22 - Valkyria Chronicles
24 - Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time [/QUOTE]

I own 10 games from IGN's list of Top 25. 7 of them exclusives to the PS3. Fallout 3, Bioshock, and Vanquish I own on the 360. I probably shouldn't count them.
My thoughts...
Positive: Glad to see that Valkyria Chronicles made the list. Such a great game, put in a ton of hours into that game!

Negative: Kind of surprised Metal Gear Solid IV or either of the Killzone games made it on the list. I guess Starhawk, Yakuza 3/4, and Motorstorm Apocalypse didn't do too well, unless I'm missing something.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']. I thought Resistance 3 was terrible but maybe I'm alone on that one.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, now go repent for your sins.

bread's done
Back