iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. If these are definitely $.99, I'm grabbing The Sims 3 Ambitions (possibly), NBA Jam, Dead Space, and The Sims 3. I have no more room, dammit. Time to delete some temporarily.

[quote name='FlipSide']Is there an advance wars type of game for the IPAD?[/QUOTE]

Great Little War Game.

Also, Super Stick Golf HD is .99 for the moment. So much freakin' content, I love it.

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Great Little War Game.

Also, Super Stick Golf HD is .99 for the moment. So much freakin' content, I love it.[/QUOTE]

The presentation is pretty weak, but I really like super stick golf. It's a great physics game, not a traditional golf game. In addition to a huge amount of content, it's really challenging.

[quote name='FlipSide']Is there an advance wars type of game for the IPAD?[/QUOTE]
One that doesn't get brought up too often is The War of Eustrath. It's more like Fire Emblem, but seeing as how that one's pretty similar to Advance Wars (developed by Intelligent Systems), I though it'd apply. :)

[quote name='regis100']Looks like I have to log into the UK store to see the lower price. :(

And my Apple ID is only valid for the U.S. store.[/QUOTE]

US appstore actually shows down for me from my PC. I don't think they would advertise in cents if they didn't plan on making it for US as well.

Edit: Looks like its back up

so do we know if we are getting these deals or what? I still see them all at full price... I am getting practically all of those games on the list. The ones I'm not getting I already have ;)

We are. Like brand new app releases, the other countries always always gets the deals first like the UK and New Zealand. Prices should be updated in the app store around 12 AM EST/9 PM PST.

Cant wait! Anyone think I should buy NBA Jam iPhone version for my iPad since the iPad version isn't gonna be on sale? Cuz I know my 3G won't be able to run it smoothly but am worried about 2x scaling on the iPad.

[quote name='lunasicc']Cant wait! Anyone think I should buy NBA Jam iPhone version for my iPad since the iPad version isn't gonna be on sale? Cuz I know my 3G won't be able to run it smoothly but am worried about 2x scaling on the iPad.[/QUOTE]

Search for NBA jam lite and try it on your iPad. That should give you the answer you're looking for.

Dead Space and Max and the Magic Marker are now .99 on the US app store, for both iPad and iPhone/Pod

The tag says 'Dozens' of EA games on sale this weekend, but these two were the only ones I could find. Maybe the others haven't updated.

Has Plants vs Zombies HD ever been on sale? I'm tempted to get it for the iPad but I wanted to see is a sale may be immenent for Easter or whatnot.

[quote name='SOLDIER']Has Plants vs Zombies HD ever been on sale? I'm tempted to get it for the iPad but I wanted to see is a sale may be immenent for Easter or whatnot.[/QUOTE]

I think maybe once? Popcap does have sales, but not as often as gameloft and ea.

Damn, now Max and the Magic Marker is back up to $4.99, that was strange. They must be in the middle of updating or something. =P

[quote name='caltab']I think maybe once? Popcap does have sales, but not as often as gameloft and ea.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I picked up PvZ for iPad for $2 a few weeks ago.

[quote name='SOLDIER']Has Plants vs Zombies HD ever been on sale? I'm tempted to get it for the iPad but I wanted to see is a sale may be immenent for Easter or whatnot.[/QUOTE]

Went on sale a month or so ago.

[quote name='jgiovanni']Guys, should I pick up Dead Space on the Iphone or Ipad?[/QUOTE]

I think it's one of the few console type games I like better on the iPad. Usually I like the controls of these type of games more on the iPhone, dead space is the rare exception for me.

[quote name='caltab']I think it's one of the few console type games I like better on the iPad. Usually I like the controls of these type of games more on the iPhone, dead space is the rare exception for me.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, so what are definate buys in this sale

Thanks guys! Just bought Scrabble, Reckless Racing, Dead Space, Magic Marker and Pictureka for the iPad.

Any opinions on Scrabble compared to Words with Friends, Magic Marker and Pictureka?

Also, I was hoping to get Command & Conquer, but the reviews changed my mind.

[quote name='jgiovanni']Thanks, so what are definate buys in this sale[/QUOTE]

pretty much every EA game is worth a buck if its a genre you like. Dead Space, NBA Jam, Max and the Magic Marker, Reckless Racing, and Fight Night are probably the ones I'd get If I only had 5 dollars.

The sale seems to be fully live now, but Tiger Woods is still full price, I thought it was supposed to be on sale.

Got Dead Space, Max & Marker, Picturika?, Reckless Racing, Command & Conquer so far. Going to wait on NBA Jam till the iPad version lowers. On the fence for a few of the 2.99$ ones.

[quote name='lunasicc']Thanks guys! Just bought Scrabble, Reckless Racing, Dead Space, Magic Marker and Pictureka for the iPad.

Any opinions on Scrabble compared to Words with Friends, Magic Marker and Pictureka?

Also, I was hoping to get Command & Conquer, but the reviews changed my mind.[/QUOTE]

I just bought the EXACT same group of iPad games! Nice. I also was warded off by C&C's reviews. I mostly want scrabble to play with the family and use iPhones as letter trays.

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Bah, I wish NBA Jam iPad were on sale.

Ahh well, all in due time, I suppose. Was also hoping for Sim City.[/QUOTE]

If you have a jailbroken iPad, you can always use FullForce to make it run in native resolution.

EDIT: NBA JAM working/downloading now!
-----
If anyone has an opinion on Max and the Magic Marker, let me know. I know--it's only $1--but I'm a poor college student hehe, and I like to conserve iTunes credit when possible. :p

Picked up Dead Space and NBA JAM. Great deals!

Not a huge sports fan but I got Tiger, NBA Jam, Fifa and Fight Night. I own most of the other good games on sale.

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Bah, I wish NBA Jam iPad were on sale.

Ahh well, all in due time, I suppose. Was also hoping for Sim City.[/QUOTE]

Wow I didn't even know NBA Jam was out for iPad, looks like it just came out today, maybe I'll hold off on getting the iPhone version.

Hmm already have NBA Jam, Dead Space, Scrabble, Need for Speeds, Battlefield lol.....looks like a sports round for me, already grabbed Tiger Woods 12 and will more than likely grab FIFA 11 and Fight Night.

Cant recommend NBA Jam and Dead Space more...they are complete steals at 99 cents.

They must be swapping updates around. I bought a bunch of titles from EA for 99 cents, and now they appear to be full price again. I'll have to look again later. If I see it again I'm going to buy Dead Space for both iPod & iPad, provided its on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back