iPhone OS 3.0 & 3GS Disscussion

[quote name='zewone']I'll be ordering my 3G S through AT&T.com tonight.

Anyone know if they charge right away or when it ships?[/QUOTE]

Just checked my bank account and they charged me right away.

[quote name='lmz00']Was it a charge or a hold? I recall reading that they don't charge until it's shipped.[/QUOTE]

I used my debit card and they took the money from my account already. It still says pending rather than a charge date but the money is gone from my account.. May be different for those paying with a credit card but debit cards you gotta have the cash.

Six more days woooooo. I am stoked. I am going to the "that guy" sitting at the door by myself at 10AM when Rogers Video opens.

Went to an AT&T store and pre-ordered a 32gb White 3GS for $299 for my gf. She is upping from a launch day first gen iphone. I unfortunately upgraded to a 3G last year and they want to rape me 399.99 to upgrade to a 16gb model, so looks like I will be skipping the 3GS. I do like that you can pre-order this year and go in 7am - 9am with no line and go pick up the phone on Friday.

[quote name='lmz00']I'm pretty sure it'll be a very long time before someone figures out how to unlock the iPhone 3GS.[/QUOTE]

I remember it took a while for people to figure out how to unlock the 3G after it was released. The iPhone just isn't the same without Cydia.

[quote name='magiic']monoprice.com has one. I just bough it this morning. It's like $3 before shipping[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the post. I wish I would have seen that friday when I ordered several hdmi cables for a guy at work.... Oh well just grabbed a car charger and a cig lighter to usb charger for $5.59 total including shipping. Monoprice is awesome I should have know to look there rather than planning to buy a overpriced charger later on.:roll:

Let me know how the car charger from monoprice is.

My biggest concern is that it doesn't make the iPhone too hot (which my old car charger used to).

[quote name='lmz00']I'm pretty sure it'll be a very long time before someone figures out how to unlock the iPhone 3GS.[/QUOTE]

Unlock or Jailbreak? They are 2 different things...

[quote name='$hady']Thanks for the post. I wish I would have seen that friday when I ordered several hdmi cables for a guy at work.... Oh well just grabbed a car charger and a cig lighter to usb charger for $5.59 total including shipping. Monoprice is awesome I should have know to look there rather than planning to buy a overpriced charger later on.:roll:[/QUOTE]

No worries. I stumbled upon it by accident. I was getting some HDMI cables and RCA cable for my dad and was just browsing around other categories. I ended up grabbing one of the $15 BT headsets, the car and wall charger for iPhone/iPod and tried to grab a back-up battery but they were sold out,

[quote name='$hady']Thanks for the post. I wish I would have seen that friday when I ordered several hdmi cables for a guy at work.... Oh well just grabbed a car charger and a cig lighter to usb charger for $5.59 total including shipping. Monoprice is awesome I should have know to look there rather than planning to buy a overpriced charger later on.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I wouldn't have even thought monoprice when looking for Apple accessories.

Thanks magiic. Thinking about the BT headset and the FM Transmitter 6-in-1 charger if my iPhone order goes smooth. I used to have a BT headset from Warhawk. But I haven't been able to find it forever. I wonder if one of my old roommates swiped it...

Seems like AT&T ran out of preorders.

I reserved my spot at the local Apple store and I got an email saying to come in on the 19th.

Seems almost...too easy? I mean I had to give my Apple account to do this, but the Apple stores must be getting a LOT more in compared to AT&T stores.

Hopefully I won't have any problems when I go around 8pm.

Ok iPhone vets, please recommend the best case/screen protectors for the 3G/3GS. I've been reading Amazon and Best Buy reviews and don't know who to believe.

I know 3 people with iPhones and one likes his naked. Another has his in a bulky leather case that houses his phone like a belt loop case. The last has hers in a cheap looking rubber thing that works in a purse but not in a pocket.....

I'm thinking this one so far. I want something not real bulky for in my pocket.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A1GC47N5J8F7IJ&v=glance

I'd say have a look at the incase slider. It might be a bit expensive, but it's the best I've ever had. (I'd buy one again if I had too)

I'm on a touch though...

[quote name='VipFREAK']I'd say have a look at the incase slider. It might be a bit expensive, but it's the best I've ever had. (I'd buy one again if I had too)

I'm on a touch though...[/QUOTE]

That was another I was considering on BB.com. It looks very sleek and has good reviews, thanks for your suggestion. :)

Get an Invisible Shield by Zagg. They have kiosks at most malls, if it ever starts peeling or gets scratched you can take it in and get it replaced for free.

This is slightly off topic- but I have a Rolando downloadable token for the iTunes store. Rolando is for either the iPhone (original, 3G or 3GS) and the IPod Touch.

PM me offers, but I am mostly seeking a trade- rather than a purchase. Swapping codes is ideal.

Thanks

[quote name='seanr1221']Let me know how the car charger from monoprice is.

My biggest concern is that it doesn't make the iPhone too hot (which my old car charger used to).[/QUOTE]
Yeah, cheapo car chargers do this.
The one for my original iPhone made it really hot, and barely charged at all.

I have a Griffin car charger and it's MUCH nicer.
Charges almost as fast as an outlet, but faster than the computer, and keeps it normal temp.
Also has a light indicator on it.

For some reason, I can only find a giant picture of it.
http://www.ehphone.ca/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/dsc_0662.jpg

[quote name='dallow']Yeah, cheapo car chargers do this.
The one for my original iPhone made it really hot, and barely charged at all.

I have a Griffin car charger and it's MUCH nicer.
Charges almost as fast as an outlet, but faster than the computer, and keeps it normal temp.
Also has a light indicator on it.

For some reason, I can only find a giant picture of it.
http://www.ehphone.ca/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/dsc_0662.jpg[/QUOTE]

That's the exact charger I have and I've never had a problem with it. It even went to clearance at Target for $5.

Yep. It even scrobbles to last.fm. Speaking of which, I hope Scrobble carries over to the 3.0 jailbreak, whenever it gets done. That's the only jailbreak app I really "need."

My stereo is too integrated into the car that I don't want to change it out.

I think there is a simple iPhone internal adapter so that I can have a cable to charge/listen.
It'd be nice, but 90% of the time, it's just NPR or 10%, XM radio.

[quote name='dallow']My stereo is too integrated into the car that I don't want to change it out.
[/QUOTE]

Yep.

I have an Auxillary port nowhere near the stereo, so putting in an aftermarket deck would be a big unecessary PITA.

[quote name='$hady']That was another I was considering on BB.com. It looks very sleek and has good reviews, thanks for your suggestion. :)[/QUOTE]

I'd go with Invisible Shield. I have one for my DS and a full body one for my DSlite. I love them. My brother-in-law had one on his old phone. Then he got an iPhone and bought a case for it but he hated it. So he went to the mall and paid to have them put an Invisible Shield on for him. That's what I'm going to do when I get my phone. I didn't pay for installation on the DSs. But since I'll have my iPhone with me everywhere, I'm sure it'll get dropped and the corners will start collecting dirt. But if you pay for them to install it, if anything ever happens to it (air bubbles, scratches, starts peeling off) you just take it back in and they'll but new shields on for free. The nice thing about shields, besides making them more durable, is they keep the sleek design and shine of the original product.

[quote name='$hady']That was another I was considering on BB.com. It looks very sleek and has good reviews, thanks for your suggestion. :)[/QUOTE]

No prob, I've had mine for a while. I don't have any protection on the screen, but it hasn't been an issue at all.

The case is engineered so well if I took my case off now (probably been about a year?) the mirror back of the ipod would be just like when I got it. I actually dropped it (friend and I were playing drunk checkers on the way to a party... xD) All I remember is it falling on the corner and flipping onto the screen. NO DAMAGE ANYWHERE.

Part of the "rubber" finish has started rubbing off, but on the front edge. (not on the back which is what I thought would go first). There's a little "bridge" that goes along the bottom of the screen and it broke because I was bending it too often but even with it off it's still protected fairly well. As I said above, I would totally buy this case again if I needed to.

[quote name='MorPhiend']I'd go with Invisible Shield.[/QUOTE]

Ya know, they sound great but after a year or two later and the edges of it getting gross as well as dealing with potential little air bubbles (if done correctly there won't be, you MUST take your time when installing) I'm glad to not have a film this time. It's just nicer. I hope I never scratch the face, but then I'm extra careful now. :knocks on wood:

I used Best Skins Ever which is the same I think

[quote name='VipFREAK']No prob, I've had mine for a while. I don't have any protection on the screen, but it hasn't been an issue at all.

The case is engineered so well if I took my case off now (probably been about a year?) the mirror back of the ipod would be just like when I got it. I actually dropped it (friend and I were playing drunk checkers on the way to a party... xD) All I remember is it falling on the corner and flipping onto the screen. NO DAMAGE ANYWHERE.

Part of the "rubber" finish has started rubbing off, but on the front edge. (not on the back which is what I thought would go first). There's a little "bridge" that goes along the bottom of the screen and it broke because I was bending it too often but even with it off it's still protected fairly well. As I said above, I would totally buy this case again if I needed to.

Ya know, they sound great but after a year or two later and the edges of it getting gross as well as dealing with potential little air bubbles (if done correctly there won't be, you MUST take your time when installing) I'm glad to not have a film this time. It's just nicer. I hope I never scratch the face, but then I'm extra careful now. :knocks on wood:

I used Best Skins Ever which is the same I think[/QUOTE]

Did you even read my post? Pay an installation fee and they'll do it for you and if you're ever unhappy, drop by the mall and in about 10 minutes you'll have a shiny new shield on it for free.

And no, Invisible Shield is Invisible Shield. BSE is crap quality. No wonder you didn't like it. You get what you pay for. And some people like having an iPhone that, you know... looks like an iPhone, not an ugly rubber guard.

Send my iPod out? Pay? no thanks... People on ipod forums liked the BSE over IS...

Edit: oh... Mall... ehh... still not good enough to make me want to do it.

[quote name='Bioshocked360']You can take it in to get it replaced even if you didn't pay them to install it.[/QUOTE]

True. You can always get a new replacement shield. I was just talking about the installation just because it saves time and then if there is ever a problem, they'll install it again for free. But you're right, if you don't pay for an installation they'll still give you a free replacement shield for you to do yourself.

[quote name='$hady']Ok iPhone vets, please recommend the best case/screen protectors for the 3G/3GS. [/QUOTE]

I'm not an iPhone vet yet...my first one is on order via AT&T. But I have been spending a bit of time on the Apple subforum at howardforums.com and there are several guys who do good case reviews on youtube...check out users "itsmemorphious" and "larrygreenberg" to start. There are several others who do good reviews too.

I will carry in my purse rather than a pocket, so my initial plan is to put an antiglare screen protector on the front (probably the PowerSupport ones sold at the apple store) and I purchased an iSkin Solo case. http://www.iskin.com/solo/?cart=1245129399890402

[quote name='seanr1221']Who reserved it at a local Apple Store?

At first I figured it meant they were holding it for me (just for the day)

But after reading this thread there seems to be a discrepancy.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=720946&highlight=reserve[/QUOTE]Read the bottom of your confirmation email from Apple. It says that it doesn't guarantee availability and that it's first-come, first-served. If you wanted a real preorder then you should have done it through AT&T last week between Tuesday and Saturday.

Must be a last minute deal otherwise it would be all over the ad but Best Buy will have the 3GS on June 19th.
Link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat160500050018&type=category

I know it was said earlier in this thread that it would be an Apple/AT&T exclusive but I just went to BB.com looking for something else and it was on the front page in the rotating ads. Why esle would they have the ad up and the date if they weren't going to sell it? If you don't want Bing.com cashback settle for Reward Zone dollars.

Yeah, I read somewhere that BB and some other big retailer would also have limited supply on Friday. So I'm sure the ad is legit too.

My Plan A got fucked as the store all my friends work at aren't evening getting any. It looks like I am hitting Costco at opening and then Rogers Wireless stores in descending order based on distance.

google news has several reports saying 10 am (pacific), its based on a carrier in hong kong that told subscribers it will hit local time. but who knows, either way im at work until 430, so i wont get the update until this evening.

I was getting worried after I installed because my phone wasn't doing anything, the screen was lit but thats it.

It's working perfectly though, I do prefer the old sms logo though.

bread's done
Back