Iron Man 3: 5.2.13

I think it just looks new...example Master Chiefs armor from Halo 3 to Halo 4...Halo 4 is newer so they make it look nicer and upgraded even though he was just sleeping from the events of Halo 3

[quote name='Tony Stark']I wonder what they are going to make the Mandarians abilties in the movie[/QUOTE]

With his Rings, he can do almost anything. Think of his rings as like "baby" versions of the the gems in Thanos' Infinity Gauntlet.

[quote name='GhostShark']With his Rings, he can do almost anything. Think of his rings as like "baby" versions of the the gems in Thanos' Infinity Gauntlet.[/QUOTE]

ehhh...

...I liked Iron Man because for the most part it tried to stay realistic compared to the other character movies

[quote name='Tony Stark']ehhh...

...I liked Iron Man because for the most part it tried to stay realistic compared to the other character movies[/QUOTE]
He's part of a bigger universe and you saw some of the more cosmic parts of that in Avengers/Thor/Cap. I think it's good they're finally going to be moving forward with introducing the more mystical and cosmic powers to the Iron Man films.

Yeah, once you introduce the element of space and mysticism (gods, mostly) into the bigger picture, there is no turning back.

[quote name='Clak']What makes you think the IP armor looks downgraded?[/QUOTE]

Looks slimmer and doesn't have the Gatling gun from the second movie.

Either that or the government has successfully replicated the Iron Man technology to produce an offshoot using the WM base model...but then again why hasn't Stark taken back his armor that was stolen ?

[quote name='kodave']He appeared to either fall out of the sky or just be generally defeated in battle in the opening scene. The suit probably lost its external power capabilities separate from whatever Tony's chest arc reactor provides (if anything). Without that power, its probably super difficult to walk around in a metal suit that probably weighs a ton without those power systems to assist your movements.[/QUOTE]

Yes the Arc Reactor powers everything...i'm surprised that the amount of power he uses in battle doesn't affect the real purpose of it, to keep that shit out of heart.

oh btw why the hell are we spoil tagging the trailer?!?!?!

Also anyone noticed the date for April 2013? Has Marvel decided to break the start of the Summer geek fest by moving it to April instead of May?

A marvel movie where it seems like the hero is in actual peril!?!?!?!? :whee:

I've been interested in this movie since i heard shane black was directing

I doubt the 10 Rings and Mandarin will be in this like they are in the comic book. In fact all that speculation is pretty much debunked here:

In the comic books, The Mandarin was a Chinese exile who ventures into a remote, forbidden valley and discovers a crashed alien spaceship. Inside the ship are ten rings, each with a different power, which allow him to seek revenge on a world he considers unjust.

But this version of The Mandarin will not follow that same backstory, said Kevin Feige, the president of Marvel Studios. Don’t expect aliens, even though The Avengers and Thor opened up this unified cinematic world to the presence of extra-terrestrials.

Iron Man 3 will be more about a clash of technology, Feige says and those who have been paying close attention to the previous two films know that The Ten Rings is a term for the terrorist group that kidnapped Tony Stark in the first movie, and gave the villain Whiplash some assistance in the sequel.

In that way, The Mandarin (who for a time was going to be the main villain in the first film) has been a part of the Iron Man series from the beginning, albeit as the off-screen manipulator.

“A lot of this movie is about characters going back into the shadows for various reasons and characters who have been in the shadows coming out and into the light for the first time,” Feige says. “It is Tony who, for various reasons, finds himself receding into the darkness. I don’t mean emotional darkness, I mean literally ducking out of the spotlight. And we’ll see other characters stepping up who have pulled strings from the background, starting to show their hand.”

Kingsley is not, of course, Chinese, but Feige says they wanted to blur the background of this version of The Mandarin. “It’s less about his specific ethnicity than the symbolism of various cultures and iconography that he perverts for his own end,” Feige says. From his samurai hair, to his royal robe, to his bin Laden-esque beard, and the AK-47 he keeps at his side, Kingsley’s interpretation is a hodgepodge of various warrior motifs.

I'd wager the actual 10 rings we saw in the trailer are just decorative and symbolic of probably 10 terrorist organizations the Mandarin controls. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the organizations is Hydra and perhaps even another something Soviet to link to the Winter Solider for Captain America 2.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Looks slimmer and doesn't have the Gatling gun from the second movie.

Either that or the government has successfully replicated the Iron Man technology to produce an offshoot using the WM base model...but then again why hasn't Stark taken back his armor that was stolen ?

Yes the Arc Reactor powers everything...i'm surprised that the amount of power he uses in battle doesn't affect the real purpose of it, to keep that shit out of heart.

oh btw why the hell are we spoil tagging the trailer?!?!?!

Also anyone noticed the date for April 2013? Has Marvel decided to break the start of the Summer geek fest by moving it to April instead of May?[/QUOTE]
It has something on it's back, if not a gatling gun then some other weapon.

[quote name='GhostShark']My impressions of the trailer:

-I really dig the Golden (mostly) suit a lot more than a should, given that I hate the color.

-Ben Kingsley as the Mandarin sounds fantastic. Had some really great dialogue in the trailer. Can't wait to see more.

-Gwen Paltrow. Don't need to explain that.

We're off to a good start and I am curious as to why
Mandarin has a Captain America shield tattooed on his neck. Seems odd.
[/QUOTE]

67be72b842e6743c5b17412976d5ab15.jpg

Yeah. I think a new director was needed. I loved Iron Man, but I'm still not the biggest fan of Jon Favreau directing. He can be Happy Hogan all he wants, though.

i enjoyed both IM1/2 so i think i can be a lot worse. even the color ways of the suits and such im sure ill like it but doubtful it will be as good as 1/2

Yeah, sure why not: have a white guy play a Chinese person. Not the first time it's happened. I won't be able to take him any more seriously than I do of people who get tattoos of Chinese characters, that Donna Chang character from Seinfeld, or all of Kill Bill, but what the hey?

[quote name='Rasen']Yeah, sure why not: have a white guy play a Chinese person. Not the first time it's happened. I won't be able to take him any more seriously than I do of people who get tattoos of Chinese characters, that Donna Chang character from Seinfeld, or all of Kill Bill, but what the hey?[/QUOTE]
We don't even know if this incarnation of the mandarin is chinese(probably not).

[quote name='Rasen']Yeah, sure why not: have a white guy play a Chinese person. Not the first time it's happened. I won't be able to take him any more seriously than I do of people who get tattoos of Chinese characters, that Donna Chang character from Seinfeld, or all of Kill Bill, but what the hey?[/QUOTE]
Ben Kingsley isn't white. He isn't asian by any stretch, but he certainly isn't white.

Also, not that big of a deal. Liam Neeson did amazing as Ra's in Batman despite not being the same race as the guy in the comics.

[quote name='cancerman1120']People who come to post hate on a fan thread

Awesome and original[/QUOTE]

Don't get mad at me. I didn't make the poster.

[quote name='moon_knight']We don't even know if this incarnation of the mandarin is chinese(probably not).[/QUOTE]

If they're going to be changing origin stories, then why not go whole hog and call him the Englishman? Or the Hindi?

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Ben Kingsley isn't white. He isn't asian by any stretch, but he certainly isn't white.

Also, not that big of a deal. Liam Neeson did amazing as Ra's in Batman despite not being the same race as the guy in the comics.[/QUOTE]

Fair point.

Although I think my image of Ra's was affected by the Animated Series, which for whatever reason I remember as having an English accent.

[quote name='Rasen']Then why not go whole hog and call him the Englishman? Or the Hindi?[/QUOTE]
Maybe because he was trained in China? I'm sure they'll figure something like that out.

[quote name='Rasen']Fair point.

Although I think my image of Ra's was affected by the Animated Series, which for whatever reason I remember as having an English accent.[/QUOTE]
Very true, Ra's has an English accent, but that's because he has learned many accents over the centuries and likely defaults to the accent of the civilization he spent the most time in (England and France) so he likely just began using a modernized form of the accent out of habit.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Maybe because he was trained in China? I'm sure they'll figure something like that out.[/QUOTE]

Looking back, maybe it'll be something like "his mother was Chinese royalty, and she was raped by British occupiers, and he decided to associate himself with her side of the family."

It's just that I get so pissed off everytime Hollywood decides to white-wash another Asian character. Like that movie 21. Or Dragon Ball. Or The Last AirBender.

Not that having Asian actors would make the movies any better, but COME ON. It's bad enough when they think all Asians look the same/and or Native American.

I think they were just looking for a great actor with gravitas for the role, like Anthony Hopkins for Odin. Marvel would likely want a name actor for the role, so the only Asian people that would likely be cast are Jet Li and Jackie Chan.

Also, if they do decide to tie him in with the terrorists from the original film, then he would be closer to Arabic than Chinese.

Meh, there's a long tradition of using western actors for originally asian roles. Don't like it, but I'm not surprised.

Think of it less like Last Airbender and more like X-Men. Hugh Jackman is physically (aside from muscular) the opposite of Wolverine yet he nailed the part.

I guess people forget that Mandarin is Asian because in the original origins (616 Universe) of Iron Man, it all happened in Vietnam.

However, and this is the key point to all of this inane argument, is that in the MCU (not the original 616 canon universe), it all happened in the middle east, so yeah, Ben Kingsley (or any number of any other actors) isn't a bad choice.

[quote name='GhostShark']I guess people forget that Mandarin is Asian because in the original origins (616 Universe) of Iron Man, it all happened in Vietnam.

However, and this is the key point to all of this inane argument, is that in the MCU (not the original 616 canon universe), it all happened in the middle east, so yeah, Ben Kingsley (or any number of any other actors) isn't a bad choice.[/QUOTE]

No one, at least not I, am questioning Ben Kingsley's acting chops. I'm questioning his playing a role called the Mandarin. And it would only detract from the character if he turns out to be a guy with an Asian fetish and that's his reason for dressing up in Chinese clothing and calling himself that. Like Yellow Fever, except dumber.

[quote name='GhostShark']I guess people forget that Mandarin is Asian because in the original origins (616 Universe) of Iron Man, it all happened in Vietnam.

However, and this is the key point to all of this inane argument, is that in the MCU (not the original 616 canon universe), it all happened in the middle east, so yeah, Ben Kingsley (or any number of any other actors) isn't a bad choice.[/QUOTE]
Kingsley is at least partially Asian, his father being Indian, and I get that. But looking at the shots I have, he doesn't look Indian, he doesn't look to be from any west asia area either. With the style they've given him they definitely seem to be going for the more stereotypical east asian look. Which begs the question, they couldn't find a competent east asian actor? But like I said, Ben Kingsley is a name, a name they can put on a poster.

[quote name='ITDEFX']what could Tony and Rodie be possibly fighting against that will require all those suits?[/QUOTE]

Crazy fanboys upset at Mandarin not being Asian.

There's a good interview with Shane Black and Kevin Feige on Aintitcool, but my favorite quote from it

Q: Kevin, going into the bigger picture a little bit. What's your take on Fox, and how they're building their own little Marvel Universe. How do you think these two will coexist?
Black: "I'll piss on their graves!"

Looks great! Should be a fun flick!

[quote name='DNukem170']Crazy fanboys upset at Mandarin not being Asian.[/QUOTE]
:lol:

[quote name='DNukem170']Crazy fanboys upset at Mandarin not being Asian.[/QUOTE]

The Hulk suit should take care of them :lol:

[quote name='ITDEFX']The Hulk suit should take care of them :lol:[/QUOTE]

Considering the Hulk himself works for Stark, he shouldn't need the Hulkbuster suit. Then again, if Stark did unleash Banner, the movie would be over in 10 minutes.

Also, glad to see that Happy will have a decent role even though Favereau isn't directing.

Are they even going to use Norman Osbourne in the next Spiderman movie? They kind of killed them off, how much longer do they the rights for?

[quote name='skiizim']Are they even going to use Norman Osbourne in the next Spiderman movie? They kind of killed them off, how much longer do they the rights for?[/QUOTE]
Osborn! OSBORN! And what's this got to even do with Iron Man? Hell, what's it even got to do with this film company since 20th Century Fox/ Sony own the rights to Spider-man characters and villains?

Sorry, pet peeve...

[quote name='DNukem170']Considering the Hulk himself works for Stark, he shouldn't need the Hulkbuster suit. Then again, if Stark did unleash Banner, the movie would be over in 10 minutes.

Also, glad to see that Happy will have a decent role even though Favereau isn't directing.[/QUOTE]

It really shows that he isn't directing seeing as how good it looks.

bread's done
Back