Iron Man 3: 5.2.13

The first movie still is the best movie but i believe this one surpasses number 2. I liked the multitude of armors especially when I was able to recognize around half of the ones that got shown on screen. I was expecting more from the stinger, it was funny but I got ruined by phase 1 movies having allusions to the bigger picture. Still worth staying to watch it. The previews were all comic book movies except the one for Monsters University.

They ended up leaving during avengers. Him, the baby and his 6 & 7 year old kids. That's $30 per ticket, so $90 assuming they didn't charge him for the baby.

I'm tired so I won't go into much detail, but I will say that personally, I loved it and would probably consider it my favorite of the three, although I'll have to give the first one another watch sometime soon. It was full of epic action sequences, humor, great performances, and as someone said, a nice endcap to current set of Iron Man movies.

just got back.. well i got back 2 hours ago.

it was good.. but wayy too much humor.

the trailers really made me expect a dark story, and it was somewhat dark... but theres frickin humor every 10 minutes or so.

just when things are intense.. BOOM humor. it couldve been as intense as the dark knight (2008)

Just got back as well and I thought it was garbage. The humor was funny, but when that's the whole movie it ruins it. It's like they traded him being in the suit for a bunch of comedy sketches.

My absolute biggest problem with the movie was
The Mandarin. They seriously wasted the character. I couldn't believe they actually did that and made some no name guy the main bad guy instead.
I have a lot of other issues with the movie, but that was my biggest one.

Also do want to mention his anxiety attacks about gods being real and whatever made no sense. He had no problem with it in The Avengers, in fact he seemed to know about it all before that movie from the way he acted in it. Why is he suddenly having problems with it? Seemed forced and completely unnecessary.

I Liked it ahelluvalot. Easily more then the other Iron Man movies including Avengers. The ending though felt it was playing it super safe just incase Robert Downey Jr. doesn't sign for an Iron Man 4 or Avengers 2. Like there's always an easy solution to go around the ending, but this one felt conclusive enough that if we don't see him in any future movies we can understand why now.

Easily the best Iron Man movie. The humor was nice because it was different. It wasn't forced onto you like it was in IM2. What they did with
The Mandarin and Guy Pearce was amazing, because it felt real, grounded in that universe. Had they given him the rings of power, that would have diminished what Thanos is going to do in Avengers 2.

Amazing performances by Robert Downey Jr. and Guy Pearce. This is the best Guy Pearce has been since Memento. Take all your friends and family to see this move; it's just that damn good.

It's still my favorite of the Iron Man films, but I do have my complaints.

Rebecca Hall's character felt unnecessary and pointless. Meaning she really has no arc. She just shows up in the prologue and dies rather needlessly in the middle. I Kept thinking she was going to play a bigger part in the end and had the terminus and didn't die, but nope just dies without me knowing if I should have cared or if I should have hated her.

Pearce's plan seemed a bit under explained by the final act or I wasn't paying enough attention. So the president gets killed by "The Mandarin" whom for some reason is in the Iron Patriot armor and once he's killed the vice president gains control and his daughter's leg to grow back and grants Pearce and his Terminus project to...what? We're told they're unstable and it won't work as he planned so I don't get how or what the vice president can do to help him and his Terminus thing out. Get more money to fund it? He kinda killed the lead researcher and Tony Stark isn't cooperating.

Ok, here goes nothing!

-Happy Hogan got Fatter :(

-The Mandarin had SO MUCH potential to be a real threat to Stark, instead he was just an "Actor". :bomb:

-So.....Anyone can hop into the Iron Patriot armor and fuck things up huh?:roll:

-I thought Stark's RT chest piece is what powers the armor...if that's the case, how the hell did the mark 42 is able to move on it's own without the reactor?

-Umm....if Stark's home is destroyed...how is JARVIS able to communicate with him?

-So...all of this was because Tony told him to fuck off?:roll:

-I hated the kid part to the movie. The FIOS ad was so stupid. I would have been extremely pissed if the kid ended up getting a smaller version of the Iron Man armor.

-Tony goes into Home Depot and buys hundreds of dollars worth of equipment and no one notices?

-SHIELD doesn't care if he's dead....geez thanks Fury!

-I don't think he should have removed the arc reactor from his chest. Not only that but to throw it away. So now he doesn't care if someone reverse engineer's the piece and starts making AR powered weapons?

-Again Too MANY ARMORS... going in and out of them were confusing and I was like ok which is this one?

-Stan Lee's cameo was wasted........you only noticed him if you saw him in the tv monitor.

-After three movies(4 if you count the Avengers), he still does not have a theme music?

-No mention of Hammer?

-I think fans would have loved to have seen Rodey back in the War Machine armor...I was waiting for that. :(

-Tony going after the Mandarin was like a joke as it felt too easy.

-Agreed on it having too much humor.. needed to be dark like the trailers.

that's all for now.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Ok, here goes nothing!

-Happy Hogan got Fatter :(

-The Mandarin had SO MUCH potential to be a real threat to Stark, instead he was just an "Actor". :bomb:

-So.....Anyone can hop into the Iron Patriot armor and fuck things up huh?:roll:

-I thought Stark's RT chest piece is what powers the armor...if that's the case, how the hell did the mark 42 is able to move on it's own without the reactor?

-Umm....if Stark's home is destroyed...how is JARVIS able to communicate with him?

-So...all of this was because Tony told him to fuck off?:roll:

-I hated the kid part to the movie. The FIOS ad was so stupid. I would have been extremely pissed if the kid ended up getting a smaller version of the Iron Man armor.

-Tony goes into Home Depot and buys hundreds of dollars worth of equipment and no one notices?

-SHIELD doesn't care if he's dead....geez thanks Fury!

-I don't think he should have removed the arc reactor from his chest. Not only that but to throw it away. So now he doesn't care if someone reverse engineer's the piece and starts making AR powered weapons?

-Again Too MANY ARMORS... going in and out of them were confusing and I was like ok which is this one?

-Stan Lee's cameo was wasted........you only noticed him if you saw him in the tv monitor.

-After three movies(4 if you count the Avengers), he still does not have a theme music?

-No mention of Hammer?

-I think fans would have loved to have seen Rodey back in the War Machine armor...I was waiting for that. :(

-Tony going after the Mandarin was like a joke as it felt too easy.

-Agreed on it having too much humor.. needed to be dark like the trailers.

that's all for now.[/QUOTE]

One of your issues is something I found to be one of the dumbest things in the movie.

Too many armors, right? If he had that many why was he so obsessed with the Mark 42 that barely even worked? Why didn't he call one of his other ones sooner? Was there some reason behind this I missed? I get Jarvis was broken for a little so he couldn't, but after he fixed him why?

The only reason of why I can think of is so they could add all those comedic scenes of his armor not working.

Also the kid part probably had one of my favorite lines in the movie when the kid told Tony his dad left and never came back. What Tony told him was awesome.

[quote name='whoknows']Just got back as well and I thought it was garbage. The humor was funny, but when that's the whole movie it ruins it. It's like they traded him being in the suit for a bunch of comedy sketches.

My absolute biggest problem with the movie was
The Mandarin. They seriously wasted the character. I couldn't believe they actually did that and made some no name guy the main bad guy instead.
I have a lot of other issues with the movie, but that was my biggest one.

Also do want to mention his anxiety attacks about gods being real and whatever made no sense. He had no problem with it in The Avengers, in fact he seemed to know about it all before that movie from the way he acted in it. Why is he suddenly having problems with it? Seemed forced and completely unnecessary.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I'm one of those guys that get made when they change a character too much from its comic form. Plus I do believe he should have had the rings. Makes me worry if they will mess up Thanos some crazy way.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but in the comics he does have a number of armors for all different situations.

[quote name='whoknows']One of your issues is something I found to be one of the dumbest things in the movie.

Too many armors, right? If he had that many why was he so obsessed with the Mark 42 that barely even worked? Why didn't he call one of his other ones sooner? Was there some reason behind this I missed? I get Jarvis was broken for a little so he couldn't, but after he fixed him why?

The only reason of why I can think of is so they could add all those comedic scenes of his armor not working.

Also the kid part probably had one of my favorite lines in the movie when the kid told Tony his dad left and never came back. What Tony told him was awesome.
[/QUOTE]
Why didn't tony just run around in the hulkbuster if the mark 42 could barely walk. Oh we wouldn't have gotten that hilarious scene where the jetpacks don't work so he has to walk down the stairs. LOL

[quote name='Clak']Haven't seen the movie yet, but in the comics he does have a number of armors for all different situations.[/QUOTE]
Maybe in the comic.

I liked it a lot. Miles ahead of IM2. I thought the story was a good blend of serious and funny. Going too dark for a 3rd movie would have been a risk. The 2nd movie should have been darker.

Now I may be wrong but..
I am pretty sure we are supposed to infer that Guy Pearce is the Mandarin? He has been the one pulling the strings the entire trilogy. I can understand the hate for taking the character and turning it on its head but I liked it it enough to not care too much. Introducing the rings of power were most likely too "complex" to explain properly in a 2+ hour movie without losing the audience. I would have appreciated establishing Pearce as the real Mandarin outside of a throw away line and some tattoos.

My thoughts:

The Mandarin was wasted. I expected so much only to find out what they did. He was built up so much and then castaway like garbage. It felt almost like a cop out.

The number a armors were great I think. Maybe close to being a bit much but I still liked them. I liked seeing all the different types of armor he used. I would have liked to see more of some of them and they could have probably cut it down to just a select few, but still I liked it.

The humor could have been a little less and some times just felt like it was forced in with MK42.

My biggest issue was how they ended it with the Mandarin. The rest were not really that bad.

Even with all that I still did like the movie.

More plot holes than Stark one-liners. The script was absolute trash and all over the place. It sickens me that Downey Jr. has to carry the movie so hard because it feels like such wasted potential. This felt like a movie for diehard Iron Man comic fans because there was so much missing in terms of exposition. Maybe I'm wrong and the villains were just made up but I do seem to recall Mandarin at least being a real villain. Either way, I still know nothing about them in terms of backstory or why I should even care about them. Lastly, by the time they finally (and I mean FINALLY) got to the trailer shots at the end, I was so bored with it all I couldn't muster any excitement.

I didn't hate the film, but it left me not wanting more; the complete opposite of the previous two films.

Saw the movie and liked it overall. Liked IM2 more, though.

Not calling another armor as soon as he landed in Tennessee was stupid. Even if Tony was unconscious, Jarvis could have summoned one.

Then again, I liked all the stuff with the kid, so there ya go.

Surprised that S.H.I.E.L.D. and Banner stayed out of it. Yea, I know it is called Iron Man 3, but still.

As for the villain, it seems Shane Black really, really liked Transformers: Dark of the Moon. Real Mandarin seemed a bit too much like the bad guy from Skyfall though. Was better than Vanko anyway.

I was disappointed in the final battle. No Iron Patriot, even if it was realistic, not enough armor battling, and Mandarin got annoying. I may be in the minority, but I absolutely loved the battle with the Hammerdroids in the last film and this doesn't compare.

In regards to Tony's PTSD, it is rather understandable. Thor, Hulk, the Chitauri and their space whales, there was NOTHING like that in the previous films. Everybody in the first two movies were regular joes. Cap and Banner are used to freaks and monsters, but not Tony. Too much info to take in.

[quote name='DNukem170']I may be in the minority, but I absolutely loved the battle with the Hammerdroids in the last film and this doesn't compare.[/QUOTE]
When IM and WM were back to back for the first time, just fucking unloading, I couldn't sit still in my chair. I felt like I was going to burst with glee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37JsJxgBklI

That IM2 fight seen was probobly only bested in recent history by the epic fight scene in The Avengers, the fight scene in IM3 seemed like they were trying to keep you so distracted with so much going on that you didn't pay attention to how little was involving Stark just my opinion. Also did anyone else feel like this move had a Dark Knight Rises like script???

[quote name='whoknows']One of your issues is something I found to be one of the dumbest things in the movie.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, I thought that was the best line in the movie. Another gripe I had was you can recharge the armor using a CAR BATTERY?!?!?! The writer/director totally ignored the AR from the first two movies. I am really surprised that with the amount of missiles fired into Stark's home that the storage area with all those armors were not destroyed during the attack.

The fact that Tony "parked" his armor outside of the burger joint was really stupid.

I didn't much cared for the music either. Having to listen to it when I got it from Amazon hours before we saw the movie it wasn't as cool as the first one. Damn they should have brought the guy from the first one back to do this one :( No consistency what so ever.

[quote name='kaseydme']That IM2 fight seen was probobly only bested in recent history by the epic fight scene in The Avengers, the fight scene in IM3 seemed like they were trying to keep you so distracted with so much going on that you didn't pay attention to how little was involving Stark just my opinion. Also did anyone else feel like this move had a Dark Knight Rises like script???[/QUOTE]

Agreeeeee agreseeeee so agreeee.

TDKR came to mind sooo many times. Shouldve been called Iron Man Rises. Now i know to never expect a serious story from Marvel movies. Was there a lot of humor in Captain America?

I thought the movie was just ok. It actually had some interesting themes, but were overshadowed by being a tamer version of Green Hornet.

One thing's for sure, Gweneth Paltrow got in GREAT shape for the movie. She was ripped!

[quote name='giantqtipz']Agreeeeee agreseeeee so agreeee.

TDKR came to mind sooo many times. Shouldve been called Iron Man Rises. Now i know to never expect a serious story from Marvel movies. Was there a lot of humor in Captain America?[/QUOTE]

All the Marvel Studios movies have had a ton of humor. Most of the humor in Cap came from Tommy Lee Jones.

So a few thoughts now that I've seen it.

I had no problem with all the armors, aside from wondering why the hell he didn't summon one of them earlier.

I thought that in his case the armor was powered by the arc reactor in his chest, so why did he need to recharge the armor? And with a damn car battery? Seriously?

Could have done without the kid, although some of the interaction between him and Tony was pretty funny. Tony Stark would be such an awful father...lol.

Mandarin was totally wasted, they shouldn't have even bothered using the character.

Extremis needed a LOT more explanation. All I know is that it heals people and gives them weird heat/fire powers.

Killian's scheme didn't seem to have any point. So he wanted the president in his back pocket? I don't even know.

You can probably forget about Marvel movies being very dark now that Disney owns them. I knew that eventually we'd begin seeing Disney's influence, and that's one way in which they've exerted control.

[quote name='Clak']You can probably forget about Marvel movies being very dark now that Disney owns them. I knew that eventually we'd begin seeing Disney's influence, and that's one way in which they've exerted control.[/QUOTE]
I Think it's ANY company once they got basically what amounts to a billion dollar franchise. So I wouldn't put the blame squarely on Disney.

Forgot to mention, but someone earlier asked why nobody reconized Stark buying stuff at a Home Depot. I work at Home Depot. He was shopping at Lowes.

Hahaha you guys have seen the Thor 2 trailer right? Remember that last bit where Thor dropped to his knees and yelled "NOO". Yeah I doubt the real scene is as dramatic as it seems in the trailer.

Hes probably crying over spilled milk or something.

[quote name='DNukem170']Forgot to mention, but someone earlier asked why nobody reconized Stark buying stuff at a Home Depot. I work at Home Depot. He was shopping at Lowes.[/QUOTE]

Ok whatever Lowes...Home Depot.... and where did he get the money to pay for all that stuff? Shouldn't his CC's be monitored for this kind of activity? Making the Mark I while being captured in first one was more believable than this.

[quote name='Clak']You can probably forget about Marvel movies being very dark now that Disney owns them. I knew that eventually we'd begin seeing Disney's influence, and that's one way in which they've exerted control.[/QUOTE]

Now THAT explains one of the major plot points.

In regards to the Mandarin
I didn't think he was wasted at all, but was a very interesting twist with Ben Kingsley's version. The way I interpreted it is that there was no Mandarin. He was a made up character by Killian to further his goals. He actually kinda reminded me of Liquid Snake. LOLZ.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Clak']So a few thoughts now that I've seen it.

I had no problem with all the armors, aside from wondering why the hell he didn't summon one of them earlier.

I thought that in his case the armor was powered by the arc reactor in his chest, so why did he need to recharge the armor? And with a damn car battery? Seriously?

Could have done without the kid, although some of the interaction between him and Tony was pretty funny. Tony Stark would be such an awful father...lol.

Mandarin was totally wasted, they shouldn't have even bothered using the character.

Extremis needed a LOT more explanation. All I know is that it heals people and gives them weird heat/fire powers.

Killian's scheme didn't seem to have any point. So he wanted the president in his back pocket? I don't even know.
[/QUOTE]

Killian's plan was to own both sides of the war on terror. He had the Mandarin to create a war wherever he wished and the President in his back pocket to pay him to fight that "war". He tells Tony this after capturing him. He needs the money to continue the Extremis program.

Watching it Thursday. Thought it was great. Definitely liked the twists and thought it was a great movie overall.

IM in order for me would be 1-3-2

[quote name='dohdough']Now THAT explains one of the major plot points.

In regards to the Mandarin
I didn't think he was wasted at all, but was a very interesting twist with Ben Kingsley's version. The way I interpreted it is that there was no Mandarin. He was a made up character by Killian to further his goals. He actually kinda reminded me of Liquid Snake. LOLZ.
[/QUOTE]

How I saw the Mandarin (which I loved)
For all intents and purposes, Killian was Mandarin. It felt real because this has happened before throughout history where a figurehead gets the credit, while there is a mastermind pulling the strings from behind. Given the length and amazing script of the movie, there is no way they could have explained the ten rings of power (which would imply aliens had already been to Earth which would have been wrong) in the movie. This was easier, simpler. It's a classic "Tony Stark screws a nerd over and the nerd comes back for revenge" story. It has happened so many times before.

I think something that fans are missing here is that this isn't the Marvel 616 or Ultimate Universe, or hell, any comic book universe. This is the Marvel Cinematic Universe, something new and bold. Things will be different. They have to be in order for the films to evolve and succeed.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I know I am going to get flak for this but TDK's Joker was a better Terrorist than Manderian/Killian.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Joker isnt a Liverpool fan. I think thats the team that scored the goal lol.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I know I am going to get flak for this but TDK's Joker was a better Terrorist than Manderian/Killian.[/QUOTE]

I don't know who would give you flak for that. You can't really compare the villains from the two movie trilogies since one is far superior than the other.

[quote name='DNukem170']Forgot to mention, but someone earlier asked why nobody reconized Stark buying stuff at a Home Depot. I work at Home Depot. He was shopping at Lowes.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, someone at Home Depot totally would have recognized him. Not like those tools at Lowes.

They're totally different, and had different scopes. The Joker targeted only Gotham City, as Killian's target was the United States. In addition, they've always been totally different. Joker has always been small scale and every creation of the Mandarin has been large scale.

[quote name='GhostShark']I think something that fans are missing here is that this isn't the Marvel 616 or Ultimate Universe, or hell, any comic book universe. This is the Marvel Cinematic Universe, something new and bold. Things will be different. They have to be in order for the films to evolve and succeed.[/QUOTE]
Bold in what way?

By changing shit up and going against the norm with characters, much like the Ultimate universe did by dramatically changing characters. Really, any universe outside the "canon" universe will be bold.

[quote name='GhostShark']By changing shit up and going against the norm with characters, much like the Ultimate universe did by dramatically changing characters. Really, any universe outside the "canon" universe will be bold.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Wolverine was also pretty bold with the way they portrayed Deadpool.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='whoknows']I agree. Wolvwerine was also pretty bold with the way they portrayed Deadpool.[/QUOTE]

I am still mixed about that upcoming movie as well.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I am still mixed about that upcoming movie as well.[/QUOTE]

I think its better to expect wolverine to be an entertaining movie, rather than an epic one. Otherwise, youd feel disapppointed.

I expected iron man 3 to be epic. Bad mistake.

I expected Dredd to be entertaining, and the movie turned out pretty darn deep. Its a really good movie

[quote name='giantqtipz']I think its better to expect wolverine to be an entertaining movie, rather than an epic one. Otherwise, youd feel disapppointed.

I expected iron man 3 to be epic. Bad mistake.

I expected Dredd to be entertaining, and the movie turned out pretty darn deep. Its a really good movie[/QUOTE]
I dunno. I think IM3 had some depth to it once you get past some of the filler. Maybe it's because I'm older, but I didn't really like the "epic" fights in IM2, where as IM's action scenes had some weight to it and were a lot more grounded.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Think it's ANY company once they got basically what amounts to a billion dollar franchise. So I wouldn't put the blame squarely on Disney.[/QUOTE]
I would. Marvel has done plenty of dark stories in comics, and Warner Bros allowed the recent Batman films to be quite dark. This is a big budget Disney film in essence and they gotta keep it kid friendly. Which explains why a certain character is in the movie as well.;)

bread's done
Back