It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='guinaevere']Hey Chicago!

I'm gonna be out there in September and was hoping for some suggestions on where to visit (museums, gardens, points of interest) and shop (any great anime stores, outdoor markets) et cetera.[/quote]

The Art Institute of Chicago would be first on my list. The other museums are good as well. All the street festivals are going on, so you can pick and choose which ones to go to. Serch for "2007 festival guide" on this site http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/ Pretty much everything is listed on this site. If you are looking for concerts, I would use pollstar.com

Sadly, there are no great Anime stores here...I haven't opened mine yet! ;)

[quote name='guinaevere']Hey Chicago!

I'm gonna be out there in September and was hoping for some suggestions on where to visit (museums, gardens, points of interest) and shop (any great anime stores, outdoor markets) et cetera.[/QUOTE]

check out www.chireader.com for all kinds of events listings and lots of stuff you won't find if you go to the usual places.

Definitely hit up Millenium Park, which is right down the street from the Art Institute. The museum of contemporary art is also a few blocks down from there across the Chicago river. with a little map-questing you can get easy directions between all three places. also, the museum is one street over from Michigan Ave, which has all kinds of shopping...

Thanks so much for the suggestions and links, guys. This is definately a great start.

[quote name='chicagoz']
-Sears Tower Skydeck[/quote]Hey cool. Dat's where big bro is going to be working.

-Maxwell Street Market (only on Sundays, it's like a big outdoor flea market. I've gotten a few deals on video games there.)
Definately gonna hit the museums y'all mentioned, but this is high on the list, too.

[quote name='slowdive21']Sadly, there are no great Anime stores here...I haven't opened mine yet! ;)[/quote]You have about two weeks to get hopping. :lol:

Now... any local places to eat?

Just a heads up guys. The gamecrazy in Naperville on 75th street is shutting down. Everything is 40% off right now, with discount to increase soon. I checked it out today, not much to get excited about, some decent PSP and DS games, lots of xbox stuff. But the manager said that he got in about 15-20 big boxes of transferred in items today so who knows what they might have in the coming days.

[quote name='hopesfall']I know this is off-topic...but does anyone here happen to go to DePaul?[/quote]

Kinda (taken classes there), why?

Also, strong seconding on checking out the Chicago Reader website for stuff to do in Chicago. I'm also a wannabe foodie, so I could field or at least forward questions about where to eat here.

[quote name='Stoneage']Hello. This is not a VG deal, but it is a Midwest deal. Thursday 9/6 is value day at Wrigley Field. If you are a Cubs fan, there are many, MANY great seats available online now for tomorrow's game. I will be there in the bleachers. Just trying to share the love.
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=chc[/quote]

Wow. Thanks for the heads up but if I didn't have to work, I'd SO be there with you!

[quote name='hopesfall']I know this is off-topic...but does anyone here happen to go to DePaul?[/QUOTE]

I'm in Japan now, but I graduated from DePaul in 2005! :D

Here are the free days at the museums...

Field Museum
September 10, 17, and 24
October 8-12
October 1, 2, 15, 16, 22, 23, 29, and 30

Shedd Aquarium and Adler Planetarium
Sept. 10, 17, 24
Oct. 8-12
October, Mondays and Tuesdays (Oct. 1, 2, 15, 16, 22, 23, 29, 30)
November, Mondays and Tuesdays (Nov. 5, 6, 12, 13, 19, 20, 26, 27)

Museum of Science and Industry
September 10, 11, 17, 18, 24 and 25
October 1, 2, 8, 9, 15, 16, 22, 23, 29 and 30
November 5, 6, 12, 13, 19, 20 and 22

Art Institute
Every Thursday 5-8 pm

Is anyone going to the bb halo 3 midnight launch at Schaumburg? If so we should hook up and possibly play a few ds games and just hang out and it doesnt hurt their would be free swag.

[quote name='ryosnk']Is anyone going to the bb halo 3 midnight launch at Schaumburg? If so we should hook up and possibly play a few ds games and just hang out and it doesnt hurt their would be free swag.[/quote]i'm actually not far from schaumburg and if y'all meet up for the launch I'll come and bring the ds along. =)

I just spoke to customer service at the best buy in schamburg and she said that they let the line start after 9 pm and that she couldnt say anything about the free swag until later this week.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']I'm game for a Schaumburg meet-up. What DS games did y'all have in mind?

Guinaevere, aren't you in Atlanta?[/QUOTE]

The only game I got at the moment is transformers and spiderman for the ds. Since alot of my stuff at storage. Do you have anything needing only one cartridge?

[quote name='ryosnk']Is anyone going to the bb halo 3 midnight launch at Schaumburg? If so we should hook up and possibly play a few ds games and just hang out and it doesnt hurt their would be free swag.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I was thinking about it, its a bit closer to me than the Butterfield Rd one but that isn't saying much, still about 45 mins drive from Park Ridge. I'm debating if its worth the trip for sure an unsure thing, seeing as I don't have a reserve there and they're being so damn vague about the giveaways and event itself. It helps that you guys are going but I don't think I can convince any of my casual gamer friends to come stand around in line for 4 hours. Keep me updated on the details Xbox Live buddy.

I was planning on buying the Halo 360 as well but I don't need to get mugged and raped over it that night and miss work the next morning.

Schaumburg Best Buy people, PM me. I will make a list of all, and then send PMs back to where we can meet up, how, when, etc.

Schaumburg Best Buy people, PM me.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']I'm game for a Schaumburg meet-up. What DS games did y'all have in mind?

Guinaevere, aren't you in Atlanta?[/quote]Bomberman DS multiplayer is prolly my favorite. I'm bringing that.

I live outside of atlanta, but until next Sunday I'm in the Elgin area. It's so funny, this townhouse has a lovely view of pond and the canadian geese which seem to enjoy dropping in... out of another window, I have a lovely view of construction vehicles, 90 (tollroad, I think?) and some werehouse factory thingy with a sign which says Impingement PLUS. :lol:

[quote name='RESmonkey']Schaumburg Best Buy people, PM me. I will make a list of all, and then send PMs back to where we can meet up, how, when, etc.

Schaumburg Best Buy people, PM me.[/quote] PMed. Most of the things I've wanted to do around Chicago have been squelched owing to the dread sister in laws desire to have me do every impossible task under the sun. HOWEVER. I'm going to this BB Halo event and on Saturday to the TRU Pokemon event.

I'm thinking of getting at BB around 5 or 6pm. Is that too early? At what time is BB expecting crowds to begin loitering their grounds?

I figured the average joes would be off work at 5, grab dinner and head over but its hard to say how far and wide this will be drawing flies. The other two locations aren't going to see any action for the northwest burbs which is the true gaming mecca so I think we're in for a wild night just as far as masses of people.

It's good to know at least a little crew of us will be holdin' it down for the CAG rep against all the FatWalleters and Slickdealers likely to be there. I don't imagine anyone not from a board will bother to show up, aside from the usual pre-order crowds.

I not going to the best buy schanumburg thing since the guy from the store said that it will be random on the swag even if your the first in line. I dont want to wait that long and not be guaranteed anything. Unless someone else know other wise if everyone in line will get something?

I might show up to the Schaumburg BB. It's either that or the Downers Grove one. I wanted to call and see what was going on for both places. So, I might end up seeing some REAL CAGs for once.

I'll bring my camera.

By the way, forgot to mention. Yesterday TRUs at Golf Road (schaumburg and further along by um... michigan or milwaukee avenue) recieved about seven Wiis each.

Don't know if they're as hard to find around here as back in atlanta, but it's the first time I've seen them sitting on the shelves, so I thought I'd mention it.

[quote name='guinaevere']I'll bring my camera.

By the way, forgot to mention. Yesterday TRUs at Golf Road (schaumburg and further along by um... michigan or milwaukee avenue) recieved about seven Wiis each.

Don't know if they're as hard to find around here as back in atlanta, but it's the first time I've seen them sitting on the shelves, so I thought I'd mention it.[/quote]

Milwaukee Ave...

How did you guys fare last night?

I was at the Schaumburg BB if anyone saw me. Tall skinny dude with a brown tshirt standing next to my even taller friend with glasses.

Managed to snag a chair, shirt, and hat as well as walk in and pick up the Legendary edition. I plan on returning the one I got in the mail from the CC preorder since that doesnt come till the end of the week.

[quote name='letsgetacid']How did you guys fare last night?

I was at the Schaumburg BB if anyone saw me. Tall skinny dude with a brown tshirt standing next to my even taller friend with glasses.

Managed to snag a chair, shirt, and hat as well as walk in and pick up the Legendary edition. I plan on returning the one I got in the mail from the CC preorder since that doesnt come till the end of the week.[/QUOTE]

What was best buy doing to give out the chairs or other swag? Also, post some pics of the items?

Thanks.

Unfortunately I don't have the transfer cable for my digital camera, so pics will be delayed. They are all over the interwebs though.

They handed out chairs to the first 25 people, and started to trickle down the other swag to people towards the end, but they had hats and shirts leftover so I grabbed them too. They also had inflatable noisemakers; those sticks you blow up and bang together. I wish I got them, but ultimately useless item.

They were also handing out "plasma grenades" which I found out aren't even that. They looked like bath beads wrapped in saran wrap that light up. I didn't get one, but I'm certainly not jealous, because they're ultimately stupid being just some random item, and not an actual grenade.

I was about the fifth person in line, but a few kids came along who were friends with the guys in front of me, so I wound up around eighth in line. But as I didn't have a presell to bother with, I wound up being the first one to buy the game in the store. It was funny, the clerks applauded as I paid for that honking Legendary box.

Anyway, as I didn't see any CAGs (that I was aware of), I didn't take any pics. But it was a nice crowd. Even the teamsters in front of me were kinda quiet. But dang y'all smoke a lot around here.

Wound up with an inflatable Halo 3 chair with speakers, a hat, a thunder stick (dumbest name ever) and one of those light up sticky grenades. Acid is right, they're not actual grenades, they do look like gelatinous bath beads in a clear rubber skin. But they light glows different colors so it's pretty, if otherwise just generic vendor swag.

[quote name='ryosnk']What was best buy doing to give out the chairs or other swag? Also, post some pics of the items?[/quote]The first 28 people in line could get the inflatable chair if they wanted. If they didn't want that, they had the choice of a hat or tshirt. Then as the went down the line, they asked folks if they wanted a hat or shirt, and gave them whatever they chose. A few minutes later they came out (this time not pushing carts of stuff) just holding the un-inflated thunder sticks and a box of those grenade thingies. They didn't ask anyone what they wanted, some of us just asked, "hey, can I have one of those?" and they'd toss us the stuff.

Somehow I managed to fit the legendary box in my bigger suitcase, along with the inflatable chair. I'm not about to try to unpack the stuff, but when I get home next week, I can take pics of the goodies, if you like.

I do regret not grabbing the camera from the car, because the kids I hung around with were fun and some of the kids behind me were terribly sweet. And as far as I could tell everyone was really nice to everyone around them.
One fella even grabbed a 24-pack of water from the trunk of the red GTO I'd been eyeing, and handed the water out to anyone who wanted. I definatly wanted the water (all that smoke killed my throat), so I ran up to him and asked for a bottle of water. Nice guy with a nice ride. And a gamer. I'm completely in love.

North Ave./Ridgeland is closing. Tonight, they only had Xbox, PS2, DS and PSP games for 20% off. These were all new/sealed. The dude working said that they'd be doing 30% off next week, and possibly bringing out the new 360 games.

I guess they transferred all the used crap to other stores.

[quote name='guinaevere']I was about the fifth person in line, but a few kids came along who were friends with the guys in front of me, so I wound up around eighth in line. But as I didn't have a presell to bother with, I wound up being the first one to buy the game in the store. It was funny, the clerks applauded as I paid for that honking Legendary box.

Anyway, as I didn't see any CAGs (that I was aware of), I didn't take any pics. But it was a nice crowd. Even the teamsters in front of me were kinda quiet. But dang y'all smoke a lot around here.

Wound up with an inflatable Halo 3 chair with speakers, a hat, a thunder stick (dumbest name ever) and one of those light up sticky grenades. Acid is right, they're not actual grenades, they do look like gelatinous bath beads in a clear rubber skin. But they light glows different colors so it's pretty, if otherwise just generic vendor swag.

The first 28 people in line could get the inflatable chair if they wanted. If they didn't want that, they had the choice of a hat or tshirt. Then as the went down the line, they asked folks if they wanted a hat or shirt, and gave them whatever they chose. A few minutes later they came out (this time not pushing carts of stuff) just holding the un-inflated thunder sticks and a box of those grenade thingies. They didn't ask anyone what they wanted, some of us just asked, "hey, can I have one of those?" and they'd toss us the stuff.

Somehow I managed to fit the legendary box in my bigger suitcase, along with the inflatable chair. I'm not about to try to unpack the stuff, but when I get home next week, I can take pics of the goodies, if you like.

I do regret not grabbing the camera from the car, because the kids I hung around with were fun and some of the kids behind me were terribly sweet. And as far as I could tell everyone was really nice to everyone around them.
One fella even grabbed a 24-pack of water from the trunk of the red GTO I'd been eyeing, and handed the water out to anyone who wanted. I definatly wanted the water (all that smoke killed my throat), so I ran up to him and asked for a bottle of water. Nice guy with a nice ride. And a gamer. I'm completely in love.[/QUOTE]

I was there and the first person in line I believe was from CAG as well. I recall you walking over to get the water but didn't realize that you were from CAG.

I hit up the Circuit City in Arlington Heights.

Here's a pic of the huge crowd:

photofg2.jpg

Indeed, the CC employees were in a state of disbelief ("I'm here until 1:00 A.M. for THIS?!")

We walked right in at 12:00 and they had plenty of every version and those free 4' wall stickers. By comparison, the Gamestop 50 ft. away had a line around the back of the building. Good thing those people let GS hold their money for months so they could wait in line. :cool:

[quote name='shieryda']North Ave./Ridgeland is closing. Tonight, they only had Xbox, PS2, DS and PSP games for 20% off. These were all new/sealed. The dude working said that they'd be doing 30% off next week, and possibly bringing out the new 360 games.

I guess they transferred all the used crap to other stores.[/QUOTE]

The GameCrazy at Elston/Lawrence is also closing - not sure if they're having any sales though.

If anyone wants to try out Rock Band this weekend - they have the demo/tour here in Chicago this weekend. Today it was at NIU, Tomorrow at Northwestern (at the football stadium) and Sunday at Ford City Mall. Each day, the hours are 11am-6pm with a live concert at the end of the day.

Check out http://www.rockband.com/mbt for more details. I'm going to hit the Ford City demo I think - there's some south-side EB/GS stores I need to hit for penny guides anyway.

[quote name='Johnny Postman']The GameCrazy at Elston/Lawrence is also closing - not sure if they're having any sales though.[/quote]

Thanks for the udpate. I was thinking of trekking up there this weekend.

[quote name='ryosnk']We should have a halo 3 meetup online. Would anyone be interested?[/quote]

I'm interested, when get back to my 360. I'm in Norfolk,Va until Sunday.

Has anyone scouted any of the Gamecrazy stores that are closing? I believe they'll only be open for another week or 2...

Edit: I just called North/Ridgeland. The guy said that they only have older gen. games. They sent all the newer stuff back to corporate.

[quote name='lunchboxfett']I recall you walking over to get the water but didn't realize that you were from CAG.[/quote]I'm famous! Someone remembers seeing me walk up to a guy to ask for water. :lol:

My picture has been in my profile for ages, y'all have no excuse for not having recognized me and introducing yourselves. Unless of course you just dislike and want nothing to do with me. That's an acceptable reason.

Dang Hazuki, looks kinda ...dull. =\

Anyway, I'm back home now but I enjoyed seeing the Chicago area.

[quote name='CAG 79']Anyone going to try their luck on that TRU B2G1 sale on Sunday? I'm going to see if I can pick up some PS3 games.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to pick up orange box, stangelhold, and maybe bioshock but i'm wondering if I can return one unopen for vf5 when that comes out.

Also, the target in hip mall has a few pc copies of that battle for suburbia game that came out for the 360 for $7 if anyone is interested.

[quote name='guinaevere']I'm famous! Someone remembers seeing me walk up to a guy to ask for water. :lol:

My picture has been in my profile for ages, y'all have no excuse for not having recognized me and introducing yourselves. Unless of course you just dislike and want nothing to do with me. That's an acceptable reason.

Dang Hazuki, looks kinda ...dull. =\

Anyway, I'm back home now but I enjoyed seeing the Chicago area.[/quote]

I'm glad you enjoyed seeing our part of the world. Wish I could have gone to the H3 midnight release, but I had to work (darn evening shift).

[quote name='ryosnk']We should have a halo 3 meetup online. Would anyone be interested?[/QUOTE]

I would mind playing. I'm always online playing.

Hey folks,

I know this isn't the the trade/sell forum, but I have some stuff I'm selling off for local pickup only and thought some Chicago area CAGs might be interested in picking up a HDTV capable set on the cheap. I've listed it at the top of my tradelist: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145076

With that said, I'm looking forward to picking up Halo 3, Orange Box, and BioShock at Toys'R'Us when the sale starts. I need something new to play besides Dead Rising :)

Hi, if anyone is interested.

> Presale Offer
> Ozzy Ozbourne & Rob Zombie
> Allstate Arena
> Sunday, December 16
>
> Presale Friday, October 12 9am-9pm
> Password: PARANOID

bread's done
Back