It was bound to happen: GameStop not able to fill all PS3 pre-orders

Mine read the email and told me GS was cut 40% of their original allocation. I'm a 20GB guy and the only one who preordered one at my store, but I'm not holding my breath.

[quote name='Orochi Jin']From what I understand:

- Most stores were cut 33 to 50% in number of units
- Employees cannot pick up their PS3. If they do, they will be terminated
- Rumor is 200k now for launch
- Rumor that Target #s were also cut[/QUOTE]

I wonder how many employees will say fuck this job and take the PS3 on launch day.

[quote name='Xevious']I just don't understand the whole camping out thing. Maybe for concert ticket to see a band but not for a game console....[/quote]Yeah, why camp for something that will give you hundreds of hours of entertainment, when you can get tickets for a 2 hour concert!?

I WAS FIRST IN LINE! 1ST IN LINE! They called me telling me they couldn't give me one. WTF!!!! They gave the me 20 GB version instead. WOW

just to let everyone know, I got a call from my gamestop, and they are now getting 8 systems (from 16 originally) - I was first so I am fine.

Also, my friends EB games is now getting around 6 (from 12) and he has numbers 5 and 6, which are still good at that store.

Looks like as long as you were in the top half of the preorders at your store, you will be fine for day one.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Yeah, why camp for something that will give you hundreds of hours of entertainment, when you can get tickets for a 2 hour concert!?[/QUOTE]
you can buy the console a year from now, there is no saying that group may ever come back to your area

[quote name='tayaf69']I WAS FIRST IN LINE! 1ST IN LINE! They called me telling me they couldn't give me one. WTF!!!! They gave the me 20 GB version instead. WOW[/quote]

Call their DM. Ask him if being first in line should've gotten you a 60GB. Sounds like employees might be playing favorites.

[quote name='gizmogc']A concert lasts what, 4 hours? The PS3 will last ATLEAST 91 days.[/QUOTE]

:lol: well done :applause:

91 days is pretty liberal though. there are definitely going to be widespread fatal problems like the 360, if not worse.

[quote name='mojorojoe']This whole PS3 launch has been one messed up puppy. The consumers are actually losing more than a spot in line. Imagine how game companies feel. You have a market penetration of 200k US units..and you spent awhile on R&D for the PS3.

I have to agree that Sony is to blame but at the same time with GS/EB knowing how the xb360 quantity issue from last year..why not push sony for a definitive answer? It is costing them quite a bit of $.[/QUOTE]

Interesting thought, I think those companies cut corners on their games because they know people don't have many choices. They may lose some money because they won't sell the same units because by the time more customers are available there will be more games to choose from. I wonder if this sours any third party companies enough to stop developing for the ps3

[quote name='jlarlee']you can buy the console a year from now, there is no saying that group may ever come back to your area[/QUOTE]

Its called a CD (or iTunes, whatever).

[quote name='gizmogc']Its called a CD (or iTunes, whatever).[/QUOTE]

HORRIBLE comparison.

anyway, luckily I wasn't planning on touching a first shipment Sony product (the japanese units are already faulty) and no launch games excite me, so ill wait for a price drop....

[quote name='secretvampire']Hahah...it should be a hilarious time for those that sold their pre-orders on Ebay![/QUOTE]

:D

I had to call and find out that I was not getting one, Oh well. I will camp at BB wed night and see what happens(I got some bear mace). I'm a little disappointed but also not surprised.

[quote name='halvorsb']Something's not adding up. How are there 400k units out there? No no is getting more than 20 and there have been limited to no online pre-orders![/quote]
The original numbers were 400k worldwide, 100k for Japan, 300K for US and prolly Canada and one other country. Japans allotment went down to 80k, and speaking with a Sony rep last week, the US numbers were cut to 250K, with two other country launches being canceled (wish I could remember the two other countries).

[quote name='gizmogc']A concert lasts what, 4 hours? The PS3 will last ATLEAST 91 days.[/quote]Bwah! Wise guy.

Got a call earlier from GS - I will be getting mine, albeit a 20GB version instead of the 60GB I requested. They did inform me when I preordered that although it would get me a console, and they weren't sure which version I would be getting.

I can't complain though, I showed up at 9:45am on pre-order day and got #6 of 8

[quote name='guinaevere']The original numbers were 400k worldwide, 100k for Japan, 300K for US and prolly Canada and one other country. Japans allotment went down to 80k, and speaking with a Sony rep last week, the US numbers were cut to 250K, with two other country launches being canceled (wish I could remember the two other countries).

Bwah! Wise guy.[/QUOTE]

No, I thought it was 500k worldwide with 400k to US and Canada. Do you have a source for this?

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I had to call and find out that I was not getting one, Oh well. I will camp at BB wed night and see what happens(I got some bear mace). I'm a little disappointed but also not surprised.[/quote]

That sucks. I hope you are able to snag one at BB. Hey, what happens to your $100 deposit? I sure as hell hope they refund it and not give you some store credit shit (unless you used credit to begin with).

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I had to call and find out that I was not getting one, Oh well. I will camp at BB wed night and see what happens(I got some bear mace). I'm a little disappointed but also not surprised.[/quote]

The smell of bear mace always reminds me of the holidays. :)

Maybe I should have asked if I got a 60gb or 20gb. I'm pretty sure I'll make out with a 60gb version because the manager is setting up 15 minute "appointments" before the store opens with each person so they can buy the PS3 and games/accessories and trade in games towards it without anyone else there to rush you.

I think I'm going to be the first one in at 8am since he originally said 9 and I told him I couldnt make it so he asked me if 8 would work, which it does.

[quote name='chosen1s']I got burned at my Gamestop. I'm nuber 8, and the top 7 got the 60 gb system. At least I'm still getting my 20 gb.[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised people aren't a little more pissed off about getting 'downgraded' from the 60gb to 20gb. The hard drive isn't replaceable like the 360's, right? Granted, 20gb is still quite a bit, but that's something that would irritate me if I were getting one.

That's total bullshit if the people who pre-ordered 20GB get fucked over because they sell those to the 60GB people. Before you start flaming me, remember you had a choice what to pre-order.

[quote name='PRMega']I'm surprised people aren't a little more pissed off about getting 'downgraded' from the 60gb to 20gb. The hard drive isn't replaceable like the 360's, right? Granted, 20gb is still quite a bit, but that's something that would irritate me if I were getting one.[/QUOTE]
No, its replaceable.

[quote name='jkam']Not all that shocking. The PS3 doesn't even exist in my eyes until sometime in 2007. I'm leaning wii360 this gen.[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of us are...It will be interesting...the casual gamer has little to no interest in PS3 and the hardcore gamers like us are happy with the 360 for the true next gen stuff, and wanna try the wii because of nintendo's creativity

So i called again to ask what version i was getting. Apparently the first idiot just checked to see if i had a pre-order. I called again and the guy said i will get the call tommorrow.

I don't think Sony's the only one to blame. Odds are they never even told GS a firm number. Same thing happened at the 360 launch.
At least they're not doing the, "Well if you ordered more items you get presedence."

[quote name='PRMega']I'm surprised people aren't a little more pissed off about getting 'downgraded' from the 60gb to 20gb. The hard drive isn't replaceable like the 360's, right? Granted, 20gb is still quite a bit, but that's something that would irritate me if I were getting one.[/quote]

The difference is more than the hard drive though - i thought there were other things that were not replaceable, like missing video ports or something

[quote name='Pookymeister']The difference is more than the hard drive though - i thought there were other things that were not replaceable, like missing video ports or something[/QUOTE]

The HDMI ports were originally only going to be available on the 60gb version, but where later added to the 20gb as well. Not sure what other differences there are, but I know that's one that had a lot of people flipping shit.

Got a call from Gamestop tonight, my heart was literally pounding waiting for them to tell me that my PS3 preorder was delayed. Instead it was just a computer telling me that my Resistance FOM preorder would be in on Tuesday. Still I'm pretty sure that my preorder will be delayed cause I was #12 out of 16.

[quote name='Pookymeister']The difference is more than the hard drive though - i thought there were other things that were not replaceable, like missing video ports or something[/quote]

My understanding is that the only differences are (1) larger hard drive, and (2) Wi-Fi vs Ethernet only. And the hard drive can be replaced by any retail drive.

Originally, the plan was to only have HDMI output for the 60GB version, but that changed a few months ago.

Honestly, I am not screwing around with my pre-order. I am number 4. I'll probably get to EBGames bright and early on launch day, just so I can guarantee myself one.

[quote name='PRMega']I'm surprised people aren't a little more pissed off about getting 'downgraded' from the 60gb to 20gb. The hard drive isn't replaceable like the 360's, right? Granted, 20gb is still quite a bit, but that's something that would irritate me if I were getting one.[/QUOTE]
I would be if I really wanted a PS3. I'm selling mine on ebay and the 20gb will still sell for a ton. It's dissapointing that I won't be able to maximize profit, but I'm still getting a PS3 and it will still sell.

[quote name='ofacto']Got a call from Gamestop tonight, my heart was literally pounding waiting for them to tell me that my PS3 preorder was delayed. Instead it was just a computer telling me that my Resistance FOM preorder would be in on Tuesday. Still I'm pretty sure that my preorder will be delayed cause I was #12 out of 16.[/QUOTE]

Ha! I got that exact same call :) Computer telling me that I can pick up Resistance tomorrow. I called up my ebgames and they told me that they were gettin 8 systems and that I was #9...... He then waited a second and told me he made a mistake and that I was in fact #8 and I would be getting a system. I asked if it would be a 60 gig one and he told me yes. I then asked him if they were doing a midnight launch and he said no....... I don't know what to believe anymore :(

[quote name='Pookymeister']The difference is more than the hard drive though - i thought there were other things that were not replaceable, like missing video ports or something[/quote]

The 60gb has memory stick slots and compact flash slots as well as IEEE 802.11b/g Wi-Fi.

THIS IS HUGE FOR ME! Extra 40gb and Wifi??? No brainer - 60gb all the way or they can stick it up their :shock:

Were the confirmation calls from a person or a recorded message? GS tried calling me this evening (from the same number I typically get automated "This game you preordered will be in tomorrow" messages from), but never left a message.

[quote name='Strell']I heard rumar that the shipment is 200K now.

Maybe this is a blessing that will lead to eBay and Paypal's collective destruction.[/quote]

Actually it will be the opposite. Less ps3 on ebay means more $$ for those who actually have one.

i was 8 out of 16, i think they are going to screw me over with a 20gb or no ps3 at all. I fthey give me a 20gb ill turn around and sell it.

[quote name='oasisboy']Actually it will be the opposite. Less ps3 on ebay means more $$ for those who actually have one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. Maybe Strell meant all those preorder sales people are hosed - and ebay's reputation as a result. That part is probably true :lol:. But people who actually get a hold of one will make even more now.

They should just of played it safe, and only accepted like 10 preorders per store. That way you don't leave a shitload of customers pissed cause they don't get a system.

[quote name='anubis20']i paid for mine in full, if i want a return do they give it back in cash or do i have to wait for a check.[/QUOTE]

For a large sum of money like that I think corporate will issue you a check that should take 2 weeks to get to your home.

[quote name='CitizenB']For a large sum of money like that I think corporate will issue you a check that should take 2 weeks to get to your home.[/QUOTE]

If thats the case then hopefully they can give me a 20gb to sell. I thought 8 to 16 was a pretty low number already. Every other retailer seems to be getting more than 16. Best Buy's minimum is 26 per store.

It's kind of a slap in the face to get a call and say to come pick up "resistance fall of man" but tell you they will try to get you a system before christmas. I was not told I was getting the $20 free game either.

[quote name='anubis20']If thats the case then hopefully they can give me a 20gb to sell. I thought 8 to 16 was a pretty low number already. Every other retailer seems to be getting more than 16. Best Buy's minimum is 26 per store.[/QUOTE]

How did you pay? I should have asked that first.

If Credit card, or EB/GS card. They will just refunded the money back onto your card.

[quote name='io']Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. Maybe Strell meant all those preorder sales people are hosed - and ebay's reputation as a result. That part is probably true :lol:. But people who actually get a hold of one will make even more now.[/QUOTE]

C'mon. Did it really take a second person to explain what I said?

:p

:)

bread's done
Back