Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is properly balanced then it would be an indication of not being flawed. Being able to do everything is a sign of that is properly balanced.

How does your suggestions improve the system? You're asking for faster progression, but the game is already balanced for proper progression. If there is more progression of stats on break days then the game will be rebalanced to make progression take longer which leaves a net effect of things taking the same amount of time to level up stats, or more likely gating higher stat level even later towards the end of the game.
being able to do everything doesn't mean its properly balanced. You can beat elizabeth and the other super bosses in the games as an example.

I can guarantee more people don't get max social links than do. If it was easy enough to do there wouldn't be the need for guides nor people complaining about it.

I just want to say while not getting real into it because it'd turn into a long lengthy list of things I think Persona 5 could do a lot better because it would probably turn half the thread into a witch hunt against me, that I really don't understand the viewpoint of the counter-criticism here. However I have come to the conclusion from all this that the main character furiously masturbates at least 8 hours a day when he doesn't go to school. They should have included a sixth social stat, [customspoiler='Stamina']
its-magic-i-aint-gotta-explain-shit2.jpg

[/customspoiler], that goes up automatically by one note after every non-school day. The end level system for that would allow time after a trip to the dungeon instead of delegating that to a confidant. Early game dungeons require less than latter dungeons, for effect. Obviously it wouldn't mean a thing since it's an automatic gain only stat. At least it would explain things in the game world.

While we're on the topic of Persona 5 though, I just want to voice one major complaint I had about it. WHY DO YOU NOT FORCE ME TO JUST AUTOMATICALLY GO TO BED WHEN I CAN'T DO SHIT AT NIGHT AND WHY DOES MORGANA HAVE TO BE THE BITCH TO TELL ME I CAN'T DO SHIT? WHY NOT INNER MONOLOGUE AT THE VERY LEAST SO I DON'T FEEL LIKE THE MC IS A TOOL? MY PLANT CAN WAIT A GOD DAMNED DAY OR TWO OR PROGRAM IT TO WHERE I ONLY GET THAT WHEN MY PLANT NEEDS FERTILIZER. HELL JUST HAVE A POPUP WHEN THE PLANT NEEDS FERTILIZER ASKING ME IF I WANT TO FERTILIZE IT. /Therapeutic rant

At least you're not Teddy.
haha xD good read must eat out at lunch considering you rarely eat with your friends from school or spend time with them.

Only if you plan things out and or follow a guide. If the games anything like 4 there will be missable timed books.
Well yes ofc you have to plan things out. It defeats the whole purpose of a time management system if you don't need to do that.
But look at what we're saying here. You definitely don't need a guide to get max confidants in p5. People are saying you can read every book, play every game, watch every DVD, unlock every hangout spot in addition to getting max confidants in a single playthrough. Now a guide might be needed to go to that level of completion, but certainly getting max confidants should be easy in comparison
My bar for a completionist run is just getting max confidants, so in that respect p5 is very lenient in that regard.

Just max Temperance and Fortune if you want more control over your time and outcomes. A lot of the confidants already outright break the memento/palace portion of the game when you progress them. The only time I actually feel like time is wasted is having to go back to the palace after securing a route to the treasure. The bosses are rarely hard enough to warrant a full day's rest. Especially since you can just buy the 50 and 100 percent party heals from Takemi right at the start of her confidant. 

It might be worth it because getting to hear this on your treasure/boss run of the palace always makes it feel infinitely cooler. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xQZ1zmxyDk

Just max Temperance and Fortune if you want more control over your time and outcomes. A lot of the confidants already outright break the memento/palace portion of the game when you progress them. The only time I actually feel like time is wasted is having to go back to the palace after securing a route to the treasure. The bosses are rarely hard enough to warrant a full day's rest. Especially since you can just buy the 50 and 100 percent party heals from Takemi right at the start of her confidant.

It might be worth it because getting to hear this on your treasure/boss run of the palace always makes it feel infinitely cooler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xQZ1zmxyDk
I agree that that song makes the boss run worth it. I also like to use it to grind for cash early on in the game.

Im hoping the English subbed version of Summer Lesson for PSVR gets restocked on play asia. I was a doo doo head and waited too long and should have pre-ordered it, and its sold out for now. Hoping it gets a restock and isn't a limited print run.

Im hoping the English subbed version of Summer Lesson for PSVR gets restocked on play asia. I was a doo doo head and waited too long and should have pre-ordered it, and its sold out for now. Hoping it gets a restock and isn't a limited print run.
I 9001% feel that pain. My thought process was 'Surely they won't sell out of this extremely niche title before it hits release', I was sorely mistaken. :(

I didn't wanna sink too much money into PA as I wasn't familiar (I.E. general mistrust for 3P Asian companies considering the cluster fuck that is 3P Amazon sellers/scammers) with them until recently, Got a very positive impression with Parappa/Blue Rider.

Parappa had a re-stock right before release. I'm hoping for the same for SL. Fingers crossed, friends.

So 103 hours into Persona 5 and I barely beat the final Palace, but I'm still not done. This game never ends lol. 

I really regret not maxing out the Temperance confidant though, mine got stuck at 9 since I waited too long and now I'm not in school so I can't continue it  :cry:

Anyways, I really like this game. I can't remember the last time I spent so many hours in just one game

I really regret not maxing out the Temperance confidant though, mine got stuck at 9 since I waited too long and now I'm not in school so I can't continue it :cry:
You still might be able to. I think there are some extra afternoons and evenings available after that point, but they're pretty sparse. If you are where I think you are anyways. Though if you're at the part with a heal point at the start, then, yeah, all free days are done.

Has anyone imported and tried or seen any info about Utawarerumono's Vita version vs the PS4 version? I'm trying to decide which to get. Saving some money would be nice, and I do like handhelds. But I dislike having to manage any digital content (like 5 billion free DLC items on PSN) and finding space for big patches on the Vita. If it runs at like 15 FPS that's also a downside. :p But if it runs well, it's also cheaper and a slightly preferred way to play.

Has anyone imported and tried or seen any info about Utawarerumono's Vita version vs the PS4 version? I'm trying to decide which to get. Saving some money would be nice, and I do like handhelds. But I dislike having to manage any digital content (like 5 billion free DLC items on PSN) and finding space for big patches on the Vita. If it runs at like 15 FPS that's also a downside. :p But if it runs well, it's also cheaper and a slightly preferred way to play.
The graphics look relatively simple....so I don't think the Vita will be a problem....I remember seeing PS4 footage and Vita footage and I think they ran similarly.

I'm also disappointed to learn that Dragon Quest Heroes 2's co-op is the same as Nioh's co-op where everybody not the host needs to have beaten the level. Why developers, why do you do this.
That is a bummer. I'm waiting until week 2 or 3 to buy DQH2 since I feel it's destined to have the $20 drop quickly.

That is a bummer. I'm waiting until week 2 or 3 to buy DQH2 since I feel it's destined to have the $20 drop quickly.
I think the dungeon maps don't have that requirement, just the story levels. Though I'm not entirely sure how to acquire dungeon maps, but I guess it just takes time before you start acquiring them. It also seems that the enemy levels in co-op are determined by the average level of everybody.

You still might be able to. I think there are some extra afternoons and evenings available after that point, but they're pretty sparse. If you are where I think you are anyways. Though if you're at the part with a heal point at the start, then, yeah, all free days are done.
Yep, that's where I'm at. I'm beyond saving.... :cry:

And the keychains are only for pre order versions?

I want the game but wanted to wait til after I got my Switch.

I saw someone playing a demo at a party I was at and it looked really cool.

Just a heads up for Overwatch players, there's a Heroes of the Storm event going on that nets you a Genji skin (same as last Overwatch/HOTS event) and also a D.Va skin. If you have your PS4 Overwatch linked to your b.net account, you can acquire them as well.

[customspoiler='Video for Event Announcement']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv2t9lwC7lk[/customspoiler]

Today or tomorrow might be the last time to use the Toys R Us 15% off coupon (FRIEND15)

I looked through everything and these are the best I could find...

:ps4: Earth Defense Force 4.1 $20 $17

:ps4: Street Fighter V $20 $17

Yeah, I know...
They also have Xseed's Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - Risky Beats Edition still in stock. I nearly waited to long to grab it. I recently noticed it was sold out on Amazon and Best Buy for PS4. Gamestop and Toysrus still have it. I was worried GS might send me a gutted/messed up copy. Plus the 15% off was nearly as good as GCU.

Just a heads up for Overwatch players, there's a Heroes of the Storm event going on that nets you a Genji skin (same as last Overwatch/HOTS event) and also a D.Va skin. If you have your PS4 Overwatch linked to your b.net account, you can acquire them as well.

[customspoiler='Video for Event Announcement']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv2t9lwC7lk[/customspoiler]
I'm going to try this. I wonder how long it is going to take me to learn this game from scratch in order to get the Overwatch skins.

I've purposely steered clear from MOBAs for years as I mostly don't care for professional gaming (MLG type games) and the toxic lifers associated with playing them.

If anyone isn't aware there's a big promotion right now for Heroes of the Storm which gives you a whopping 20 free character pack which is unprecedented. http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/heroes20/megabundles/ I have no idea about any of the other startup costs associated with this game. I'm hoping its going to be free.

I'm going to try this. I wonder how long it is going to take me to learn this game from scratch in order to get the Overwatch skins.
Protip: Just play VS. A.I. on easy. Last time they did the Genji skin it took me about 1:30-2 hours to get through 10 games

I have no idea about any of the other startup costs associated with this game. I'm hoping its going to be free.
I hate MOBAs, but I get dragged into HOTS occasionally by my cousin. It won't cost you a dime and you shouldn't ever feel the need to spend anything. Granted we only play vs AI on the hardest difficulty.

It's a lot more lenient than other MOBAs when it comes to heroes to the point where I don't mind HOTS. You don't really need to worry about getting the most out of a party setup as much as other MOBAs. Especially since you probably won't play it in ranked. Starting out I'd probably just recommend googling an icey-veins guide for whatever character you pick and try and figure out how to play. Make sure to play the map objectives when they pop up as well as take out NPC camps occasionally and the rest is pretty self-explanatory.

Just keep in mind you have to be partied up with someone though to make progression towards the event unlocks.

Protip: Just play VS. A.I. on easy. Last time they did the Genji skin it took me about 1:30-2 hours to get through 10 games
The latter "quests" after week one don't allow you to play vs AI. Has to be quickplay, unranked or ranked unfortunately.

Ugh, it goes week by week, and all 4 weeks have something I want. It's only 5 games a week though, but you have to play it with a friend. I don't even know if my computer can run the damn game... at least the last week gives 10 lootboxes, which is a steal.

Anyone want to team up? Since you gotta play with friends to get the rewards. 

I believe I'm in the final dungeon in p5 and I'm experiencing Mara in glorious HD. Just taking the moment to appreciate his glory.
Btw I loved the twist on who the final boss is.

Ugh, it goes week by week, and all 4 weeks have something I want. It's only 5 games a week though, but you have to play it with a friend. I don't even know if my computer can run the damn game... at least the last week gives 10 lootboxes, which is a steal.

It should run well on anything that's a Potato 2.0. I don't mind helping if people want to either. My battletag is Draekon#1472. Microphone would be nice, but not necessary. I can always explain things over my headset so long as we joined a channel using the b.net client as there's no voice chat in-game.

I believe I'm in the final dungeon in p5 and I'm experiencing Mara in glorious HD. Just taking the moment to appreciate his glory.
Btw I loved the twist on who the final boss is.
You're at the end, yeah. It's also not much of a twist if you're a long time Megaten player. They tend to do this kind of thing pretty much every time with their more recent titles. Just different setups as the game theme changes a bit.

So 103 hours into Persona 5 and I barely beat the final Palace, but I'm still not done. This game never ends lol.

I really regret not maxing out the Temperance confidant though, mine got stuck at 9 since I waited too long and now I'm not in school so I can't continue it :cry:

Anyways, I really like this game. I can't remember the last time I spent so many hours in just one game
I'm also about 103 hours in and getting ready to beat the final boss. While I do like the game, I feel that it's TOO long for my tastes especially since the gameplay is mostly about making selections from a menu and reading/listening to dialogue. Persona 4 took me about 70-80 hours for one playthrough if I remember correctly and I didn't feel like that game was dragging things out like I do with P5.

Well yes ofc you have to plan things out. It defeats the whole purpose of a time management system if you don't need to do that
You said everything not just confidants in your post. Anywho The problem with planning things out is that you need to know the wheres and whens to do so. On top of the most efficient ways to increase your characters parameters.

How can this game come out six years after vanilla MvC3 and look worse in every regard? Everyone looks like a plastic toy, and the animations are stiffer than the ones in the mobile game. The game is five months away from release, but it's reassuring to know that they already have six DLC characters planned.

Unbelievable.

Yup, just add me #Vinn1744. I haven't played it in ages but for free skin why not.

How can this game come out six years after vanilla MvC3 and look worse in every regard? Everyone looks like a plastic toy, and the animations are stiffer than the ones in the mobile game. The game is five months away from release, but it's reassuring to know that they already have six DLC characters planned.

Unbelievable.
And where the hell are the X-men?

bread's done
Back