Kansas CAG Thread

FYI, the Vintage Stock in Independence is now open. I stopped by early yesterday during lunch.

There really weren't many deals to be found as far as classic games go, which I guess should be expected at a collector's oriented store. They did, however, have a few deals on some of the harder to find games for recent consoles. I bought Ikaruga (GCN) and Elite Beat Agents (NDS) for $16.99 and $14.99, respectively. The guy in front of me at checkout got the Digital Devil Saga (PS2) boxset for $24.99. They also had Wario Ware Touched (NDS) minus instruction manual for $14.99.

[quote name='nildem']FYI, the Vintage Stock in Independence is now open. I stopped by early yesterday during lunch.

There really weren't many deals to be found as far as classic games go, which I guess should be expected at a collector's oriented store. They did, however, have a few deals on some of the harder to find games for recent consoles. I bought Ikaruga (GCN) and Elite Beat Agents (NDS) for $16.99 and $14.99, respectively. The guy in front of me at checkout got the Digital Devil Saga (PS2) boxset for $24.99. They also had Wario Ware Touched (NDS) minus instruction manual for $14.99.[/QUOTE]

Wow,

That sounds so out of character for Vintage Stock I have a hard time believing it isn't YMMV. I think they are hands-down the worst game store in terms of finding myself a little "treasure" at a great price. So bad, in fact, that they are the one store I pass going into on a regular basis (including Target, Gameco, Gamestop, TRU, Best Buy, Game Rush, CC, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting) when looking for games. I would almost rather try to find a deal on Ebay than Vintage Stock. Maybe I should give them another look. It's been a while since I've been in there.

[quote name='chosen1s']Wow,

That sounds so out of character for Vintage Stock I have a hard time believing it isn't YMMV. I think they are hands-down the worst game store in terms of finding myself a little "treasure" at a great price. So bad, in fact, that they are the one store I pass going into on a regular basis (including Target, Gameco, Gamestop, TRU, Best Buy, Game Rush, CC, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting) when looking for games. I would almost rather try to find a deal on Ebay than Vintage Stock. Maybe I should give them another look. It's been a while since I've been in there.[/quote]
I agree, every Vintage Stock I've gone into has had ripoff prices on all of the video games I looked at. I checked out the one in Liberty once and that was enough for me. If this was Expensive Ass Gamers then Vintage Stock would be the #1 retailer recommended by the site.

I'm going to guess the good find was because it is a new store. They probably just stocked the shelves with boxes of old stock that was never put out anywhere else. I seem to remember that the new VSs in Springfield were good shopping for about a month before they settled back into the no good deal rut.

I think the problem is that they are too well known. There are always teenage kids who are willing to pay $7 for a half chewed vintage star wars toy hanging out in there.

T

Hey guys, I'm going to buy Godfather for Wii between now and Friday; any ideas on how I can avoid paying full price?

PS Heeeeey, Chi!

PPS I wish I'd seen the post by Sterling about the trip to Joplin while it was still fresh. There's an independant store down there where a guy from another forum I frequent works. I went in last fall and they had great prices.

[quote name='Duane Cunningham']Hey guys, I'm going to buy Godfather for Wii between now and Friday; any ideas on how I can avoid paying full price?

PS Heeeeey, Chi!

PPS I wish I'd seen the post by Sterling about the trip to Joplin while it was still fresh. There's an independant store down there where a guy from another forum I frequent works. I went in last fall and they had great prices.[/quote]

Gamepro $5 off coupon at Best Buy

[quote name='Duane Cunningham']Hey guys, I'm going to buy Godfather for Wii between now and Friday; any ideas on how I can avoid paying full price?

PS Heeeeey, Chi!

PPS I wish I'd seen the post by Sterling about the trip to Joplin while it was still fresh. There's an independant store down there where a guy from another forum I frequent works. I went in last fall and they had great prices.[/quote]

Hey Duane what's up man?

The Gamestop on Wanamaker in Topeka is listed as having all sorts of old PSX stuff, including a lot of good stuff, in stock so I stopped by last Wednesday after getting tipped off by another CAG'er. Unfortunately, completely struck out.

I had never been there before so I can't say this for certain, but it looked like they hadn't had any old stuff there for quite a while. They had the typical "new" layout of a EB/GS where there's no vintage stuff but there's some movies sitting around. I asked the guys at the desk if they had any older stuff like PSX or N64 and they said no but that somewhere else in town did. So, unfortunately, this looks like somewhere where the inventory just wasn't kept up to date or they walked off with all the games or something

That's unlikely, tho, because they would have left about the typical billion copies of Madden behind. However, if you look at the computer, I picked a couple of random years of Madden and it shows no copies despite having, say, 4 copies of Lunar. Wonder if they guys there found a way around the clearance system to order a lot of good games for themselves, or something.

SI

i was at that GameStop about six months ago, and it was pretty cleared out of N64 and PSX stuff already. Tons of case-less PSX there, but nothing worth having.

Hey what's up everyone?

If anyone has a copy of Swap Magic they're willing to sell (for imported games silly), let me know. I could buy a copy online, but I'm too cheap/impatient to have it shipped out to me from wherever...

Hi, I'm new here in Cheap ass gamer and I was wondering if anyone know show good the game selections of Toys r us? Specifically the one near Great Mall in Olathe? I can't really check right now since, currently I'm in Jersey on vacation and won't be back home in about two weeks or so. I'm just wondering if they have games like Phoenix Wright, Hotel Dusk and etc. I was planning getting either these games or some others for their soon buy two get one free ds game deal.

It's been quite a while since I've been there, but a couple of months ago, the TRU in Olathe had 10+ copies of Phoenix Wright. That said, it's been a while.

SI

Well, I'm going to be heading to Boise, ID next week and I'm trying to get a gameplan like I had when I went to Colorado Springs.

However, looking around, there's just not many deals going on right now, in terms of broad clearances. Any thoughts on even what to look for at all?

SI

I was in Walmart on 75th St yesterday and saw a copy of Tony Hawk 3 for N64 on clearance for $5. Pretty funny stuff..........

[quote name='SexyBeast']I'm in KCMO for a few weeks. Any good deals out here?

I'd love to track down an EB/GS that still had N64/PS1 items.[/quote]

There are hardly ever any good deals around here. I suggest that you go to a Vintage Stock if you've never been to one before. You will find that everything is overpriced, but it's fun to look around at all the old toys/video games.

Did anyone notice the Wherehouse at 40 Hwy and Noland is now an FYE?

I don't know if this is news. I live fairly close to that place, but I didn't notice it 'til yesterday.

Video Library on 87th and I 35 is going out of business. Tons of stuff on sale. PS1, PS2, Xbox, Wii, 360, GBA N64 all on sale. PS2 and xbox are 2 for $25. 360 2 for $75. Wii games are $35. Prices aren't really that great, but for collectors it may be worth a look. All their movies and other stuff are on sale. Theres a ton of anime stuff too if you're into that sort of thing.

I saw that the video store was closing. I'm sad for it but I guess I only rented there a few times before I got a blockbuster online account. For the collectors: They have/had a copy of disney ddr. I'm pretty sure that would be the first thing to go once the sale started though.

I went to buy a wii this week and it was hard to find one. PM me if you want to know where I found it.

Checked out Video Library on Monday. All the game stuff is still overpriced for what they have left IMO. I'm assuming prices will continue to go down as they near closing, though--at which point a lot of the ps2, gba and xbox stuff they have will become worth it.
My haul:
Konami Krazy Racers GBA (w/ box and manual)
Contra EX GBA (w/ box and manual)
2 for $20......not a terrible deal i guess.

I was in Sedalia this weekend and they had a big SALE sign outside the GameXchange. Too bad the shop wasn't open while I was there. The Kmart behind it had VivaPinata facplates and silver faceplates for $2.50. They also had Tomb Raider Legend 360 for $20.

T

Thought I'd post something since we haven't had much activity lately. Now that I think about it, I haven't bought anything since Pokemon with the exception of the below.

We still haven't hit that giant period where all old systems are being cleared out of stores yet so there will be one final wave of clearance where we say goodbye to the Gamecube, PS2, and XBox but at the moment, it's been fairly quiet on the clearance front.

So, here's a little writeup I never made from my trip to Boise a month or so ago, part of a continuing series about CAG'ing on the road- there's no Boise thread near as I could tell so maybe someone up there will get some benefit from this :)

Three stops this time, one at a Gamecrazy, another at an EBGames and a third at a KMart. I also stopped at a mall they had there a couple of days later in my trip but didn't really have time to shop. They had a legit Software Etc there. These days, tho, it looks pretty much like any other EBGames or Gamestop.

Oh, and speaking of population density. People say Kansas is the middle of nowhere but I beg to differ. If you do an EBGames search centering on Lawrence and going 100 miles out, you end up with over 30 with something like 15 in KC but also places like St Joe, Topeka, Manhattan, Lawrence, and Harrisonville. Boise, ID and 100 surrounding miles: 4 stores, 3 of which are in the Boise MSA and another about an hour away in Oregon.

The Boise MSA is over 600K people- who knew? Basically, there's Boise. Then the second largest city in Idaho is Nampa- it's about 20 miles to the west. Then there's Meridian inbetween but it's more or less unbroken city- tho a lot of that inbetween area is residential. FYI, all 3 stores I went to were along a street called Cloverdale.

First, the Gamecrazy. After my amazing good luck in Colorado Springs, I was happy to see that there was a GC in Boise. Not only that but there aren't any nearby us. I was hoping they would have some Classic Plastic from their big sale and they did have a bin there but it was somewhat lacking for decent stuff. There was no PSX or Dreamcast and the guy behind the counter said that stuff was cleaned out pretty quickly after it went on sale. It was kindof odd to not even see a Madden or anything like that- it was completely wiped out. They did have some N64, SNES, NES, and Genesis but almost all were sports games. I don't know much about what games to look for on the Genesis but for the other systems, nothing I needed at all tho there were a few quality but overproduced games like Perfect Dark to be had.

Also, I went to a KMart. You know how those are the most random with no consistency from store to store but I'd have loved to have tried my luck. Naturally, like most KMarts, there was no one around to help and I think I milled around there for nearly half an hour. I really wish there had been- it looked like that place hadn't been touched in a year. I know one of the big obstacles people keep coming up against these days is that they have restickered a lot of things. I don't think these were ever originally stickered for clearance so there was no knowledge that they needed to be re-stickered. I saw a copy of Pokemon:Sapphire in there with the old $35 original price tag. I wonder if that would have rung up at $15 or $7 or just out of system. Unfortunately, I never had a chance to find out.

Lastly, I stopped at an EBGames. This was during the B2G1 used sale so I got 6 things between the PS2, GC, and XBox- all $10 or less. Just some hole fillers for my collection. Then I found a new clearance display and that's where I got a little giddy as I picked up the first three PC games I can think of for quite a while. They had the Warcraft 3 expansion which I had never gotten and both the Kings Quest and Space Quest collections, each for $10. I was pretty happy with all 3 of those.

There was one other thing of note there but I didn't really have money to go after. They had all sorts of used copies of somewhat rare stuff for the Gamecube- Mario Parties 4 thru 7, Resident Evil 2/3, and Mario Tennis. Sure, all were $30+ but with a discount card and B2G1, someone could have made a killing there. I almost jumped at the RE's as I've been wanting those for a while but even at a discount that's $50 for those 2 and another game.

I forgot to mention earlier but I also stopped at a Target. No games at all on clearance. Just a few electronics that no one wanted. Those are kindof sad stores.

So, in short, nothing really exciting except some of the rare stuff at the EB and I suppose the KMart could have been an untouched paradise but I'll never know.

SI

Thanks for the heads up Sterlingice... I was in Overland Park today searching for copies of Lumines. I checked out the new Circuit City (I guess the old one moved into a new building across from Best Buy on Quivera) and Toys R Us. Circuit City had those clearance bins set-up but nothing really worth mentioning. The Toys r Us didn't have much either. They had several copies of Lumines II for $9.98, a great game for that price IMHO, but nothing else really to speak of.

Wait, the CC in OP moved? Is this to the center where Ultimate Electronics used to be?

UE is a perfect example of why I can't stand people who complain about retail having no customer service. They made their people go through something like 80 hours of training before ever hitting the floor. Then, if you went in there, they knew what they were talking about. Frankly, it was a bit higher end stuff than I ever shopped for but I went in there a couple of times to see what it was all about. People would go in there, spend 30 minutes talking an educated salesperson's ear off, and then give the fake "oh, I'll think about it" and then go across the street and buy some $1000 piece of electronics from BB for $20 cheaper.

SI

[quote name='sterlingice']Wait, the CC in OP moved? Is this to the center where Ultimate Electronics used to be?

UE is a perfect example of why I can't stand people who complain about retail having no customer service. They made their people go through something like 80 hours of training before ever hitting the floor. Then, if you went in there, they knew what they were talking about. Frankly, it was a bit higher end stuff than I ever shopped for but I went in there a couple of times to see what it was all about. People would go in there, spend 30 minutes talking an educated salesperson's ear off, and then give the fake "oh, I'll think about it" and then go across the street and buy some $1000 piece of electronics from BB for $20 cheaper.

SI[/quote]

Yep, they just moved the Circuit City yesterday according to the cashier that rung up my purchase. It moved just north of the old location to what I guess used to be the Ultimate Electronics building. It's on the west side of Quivira across the street from Best Buy. The new layout is very spacious. I thought it was a really nice set-up. I totally agree with you on UE. They built a brand new one close to Metro North Mall. I only went in there a couple times but I always had a great experience. The staff was very friendly and knew what they were talking about. Unfortunately the masses fall for the flashy Sunday ads for inferior products just to save $50 on a $2000 audio system. The store in the northland lasted a coupled years and was then shut down.

They're opening a brand new Circuit City in Liberty as well. I read in the paper this morning they're having some sort of grand opening on Thursday night at both the Overland Park and Liberty locations. It said there would be some prizes. I'm hoping for some good grand opening video game specials...

Yes, CC is in the UE building. I looked at it today and it reminds me of the CC next to Mid Rivers Mall in St. Charles, MO.

I was sad that they didn't have any opening specials yet. I got a coupon in the mail that starts Thursday for a $10 giftcard if you spend $50.

Did anyone go to the Sony gaming display at CC on Metcalf? I thought it was at the new one and by the time I figured out I had the wrong CC I didn't feel like driving over to the other one.

The Sears Grand on 87th and 435 (KS) had a couple Wii's the other day but I didn't post it earlier because no one had asked.

Ironically, the best value I've found is RE4 for Wii at full price for only $30. It's the first RE game I played for more than a few minutes before deciding I didn't like it.

Since we've been having a drought of cheap games I've been catching up on my backlog. I've been going through a rash of trying to play through old games and selling them off so I can clean out my entertainment center. I suggest the rest of us do the same. Unfortunatly, my 360 broke for the second time so I have to mail that off to get fixed. As it's my DVD player too I am sad to have play dvds on the PS2.

If anyone has read this far, is there still a gameXchange down by strangline rd?

umcthomas,

There isn't a gameXchange on Strangline. There is a Gamestop. The closest gameXchange that I know of is on 95th (close to Quivira).

Two Vintage Stocks (which SUUUUUCK), and there's still that Gameco on 95th (which isn't much better), i believe. Other than that it's all GS/EB.

Hey guys, was just at Nebraska Furniture Mart and saw some decent games they had for close-out:

:ps2:

Godhand $10
Victorious Boxers 2 $6
Valkyrie Profile 2 $20
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence $16

:ds:

Top Swing Golf $8
Phoenix Wright (newest one) $24
Mega Man ZX $16
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin $26

:gba:

Mega Man Battle Network (two different verstions) $8
Drill Dozer $5 (very good price for this game)
Final Fantasy V $20

:psp:

Every Extend Extra $14 (sticker shows $16)
Loco Roco $20
Warriors $12

If you go this weekend, don't forget to pick up a carton of Blue Bunny if you spend $29 or more. (Bunny Tracks or Vanilla)

Also, does anyone know of a place that sells older classic PC titles for cheap, like Big Lots does?

[quote name='SteveDaWonder']So we're basically stuck w/ Gamestop?[/QUOTE]

There is Gameco also. One on 95th and Quivira, one at the Great Mall and one on Sante Fe, a little east of I-35. I think there is still a Game Exchange on Noland Road as well.

The game store inside MicroCenter takes and sells used games now. It has a few old carts behind the counter so it looks like they are willing to take old system games. If it catches on then they might be a good alternative source for games.

T

Glad to see this thread and the last few posts...I'm moving to Gardner next week and was wondering where to hunt outside of the Goodwill/Salvation Army/pawn shop kind of places for games. I just hit my two local Gamestops for the last time here in northwest Austin, Texas to use my employee discount while I still have it.

Both CC's I went to this afternoon were out of the 1600 point cards. However, one didn't have Picross or Strikers in stock after 2pm, so I walked with a free $40 gift card.

In the KC metro, Oak Park Mall's new CC didn't have stock. The Metcalf and 119th location had plenty of stock sitting behind the service desk so people who asked for the games could be shown them instantly.

And hi Greggo, funny to see you here.

[quote name='druciferwept']Weird. like nes carts? What kind of pricing on the used stuff?[/quote]
Not sure, They were firmly behind the counter where you had to ask for them.

As far as the points cards go, if anyone sees them in stock this week (and left some for the rest of us) let me know.

T

The CC on Metcalf & 119 was willing to special order the 1600 point cards for the special price. Not sure if everyone there will do this but thought it might be worth a try for some of you.

T

I was out shopping near Independence center this afternoon. I stopped in at the TRU off of 40 Highway and Noland Rd. I saw a crap load of the first Phoenix Wright games for the DS marked $9.98. Not a bad price for a great game. I checked the Circuit City and Sears out there as well. Nothing worth noting at either. The Sears in Independence Center has a clearance bin full of games out in the middle of the sales floor. It's sort of a cluster f**k since they just dumped games from all consoles in there randomly. It's sort of a pain to sift through.

[quote name='umcthomas']The game store inside MicroCenter takes and sells used games now. It has a few old carts behind the counter so it looks like they are willing to take old system games. If it catches on then they might be a good alternative source for games.

T[/quote]

I am a MC employee at the OP location;

We do buy older systems, however our buy backs aren't any better then gamestop. Right now there are a bunch of used games that are not out on display so ask the guy behind the counter (either Matt or Mikah) to see if they have anything else.

Cheers.

Nebraska Furniture Mart at the Legends has a few copies of God Hand for PS2 for $10 and about 20 copies Victorious Boxers 2 for $6. VB2 is great.

The games are on a wire clearance rack with a bunch of other crap in the middle of the aisle by the new release games (near the car stereo/tv section)

bread's done
Back