KmartGamer 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHC-Gamer

Official Representative
There are no coupon/gift card deals with any consoles. The thread title has not been updated yet.

I am very easy to reach on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/KmartGamer

Kmartgamer 1.0 = 10,508 replies/663,642 views
Kmartgamer 2.0 = 9,828 replies/538,327 views
Kmartgamer 3.0 = 7,215 replies/549,496 views
Kmartgamer 4.0 = 7,436 replies/503,006 views
Kmartgamer 5.0 = 7,344 replies/517,314 views
Kmartgamer 6.0 = 7,499 replies/660,632 views

www.KmartGamer.com (Blog is effective in all locations)

To receive gaming coupons you must be a Shop Your Way Rewards member. It's free and only takes a couple of minutes to sign up in store.

It's a wiki, please update. This portion of the OP is for anyone who notices a deal posted either at KmartGamer's blog, Facebook, Twitter or in this thread.

Kmart Weekly Ad: (Circulars not effective in all stores, NYC and Offshore in particular - Savings coupon offers effective everywhere)

January 8th through the 14th:

:360::ps3: Rage $34.99

:360::ps3: Madden NFL 12 $39.99

:360::ps3: NCAA Football 12 $44.99

:360::ps3: WWE 12 $44.99
*Get $10 off your next WWE purchase when you spend $30 or more on WWE merchandise. Redeemable for up to 4 weeks after coupon is printed.

:360::ps3::wii: Skylanders Starter Pack $49.99

:360: Kinect sensor $129.99

Shop Your Way Rewards:

It's a wiki, please update. This portion of the OP is for anyone who notices a SYWR offer. These offers can be very targeted (Geo, User, etc.) so anything placed needs to be validated.

Coming Soon:

All titles listed below I am working on offers for and the dates I think they are coming out.

3-23 :3ds: Kid Icarus: Uprising

Games Kmart will not be carrying:
  • Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
  • Catherine
  • PC versions of Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3 and Skyrim
  • Any other PC game that was also released on consoles.

Earning Coupons at Kmart:
If I buy a $59.99 game and use a $20 coupon, does that mean I won't get the "Spend $40 on games, get a $15 coupon" coupon?
Yes. As long as it's over $40 BEFORE you use a coupon, you're good.

Using Coupons at Kmart:
[quote name='SHC-Gamer']Once a coupon is used it is gone, it is not refunded. Also, if a game is purchased with a coupon promotion and then returned the coupon needs to be returned as well.

Please don't take this as I am saying you are being fraudulent, this is a general note to everyone as I know this has come up previously. We have a new fraud researcher that has started and already has tracked down people trying to exploit the system and will soon be facing action from us. Every transaction with a coupon it tied to a SYWR account.[/QUOTE]

The total BEFORE taxes must be over the value of the coupon. For example, if your coupon is for $20, you must buy at least $20 worth of gaming merchandise. (i.e. you cannot use a $20 coupon on one $19.99 game.)
You must present coupons before making payment, and redeeming points is a form of payment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Major Upcoming Jan.-March 2012 console releases: (These are all confirmed dates from publishers via press releases, but beware KMart may not carry all of these titles.)

Jan. 24- Silent Hill HD Collection

Jan. 31- FF XIII-2, Soul Calibur V, NeverDead

Feb. 7- Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, The Darkness II, Fallout New Vegas UE, Jak and Daxter HD Collection (PS3 only), Inversion

Feb. 14- UFC Undisputed 3, Twisted Metal, Grand Slam Tennis 2, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend, Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii only), Binary Domain

Feb. 21- Syndicate, Asura's Wrath

Feb. 28- SSX, Pokepark 2: Wonders Beyond (Wii only)

March 6- MLB The Show 12/MLB 2K12, Mass Effect 3, Street Fighter x Tekken, Ghost Recon, Max Payne 3, Silent Hill Downpour

March 13- Mario Party 9 (Wii only on March 11), Tales of Graces f (PS3 only), Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations

March 20- Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City, Ninja Gaiden 3

March 27- Tiger Woods 13, Dragon's Dogma

Last edited by a moderator:
Not shocked to see bainbridge and medina on the list, but there's so many others that should be weeded out. I sent Josh some pictures of a particular store that had the game racks about 20% full with all the games stuffed at the bottom of the case, and overflowing clearance bins, and this was on thanksgiving. Went there yesterday and nothings been changed, kinda hard to sell stuff if no one can see what you have

Dodged the first round bullet which is good because a lot of Florida Kmart's are going down. Hopefully I can grace past the next 50 stores.

[quote name='Zerok']The one I go to got hit, guess I'm done with the Kmart deals.[/QUOTE]

If Josh could get the online stuff worked out in the next year you might be saved. Hoping this is ultimately what happens because it certainly can't hurt.

[quote name='B:L']Wasted my time at the Temple City, CA Kmart yet again.

Waited half an hour for the electronics employee to show up, then they couldn't find any copies of Professor Layton (Last Specter).[/QUOTE]
Update on this, went back today and found a WHOLE RACK full of Professor Layton and The Last Specter.

When I asked the workers about their sudden re-appearance after the sale was over, they said "Oh you should have asked for a raincheck!"

Customer service, folks.

Two Kmarts relatively near me are on that list, but neither are my regular store. I'm not surprised that they're closing either, based on their location.

[quote name='Birbo']Do we have a dedicated thread for KMart clearance games? I tried to search but came up empty handed. Know Josh has some listed on the first page, but I'm thinking it may be outdated at this point.[/QUOTE]

There is no such thing as KMart clearance. There used to be, before the SHC gamer found/exploited this site. Now you pay stupid prices for old/out of print games.

just got back from my kmart, one that listed ico/shadow as unavailable per online pick up and the sign was still up that said 19.99. wound up finding 3 copies scattered throughout the mess of games at the bottom of the glass case. picked all three up which rang up for 29.99 but the employee price matched the sale tag.

if you are still looking and your store is unavailable for in store pickup it might be worth a shot to just check it out

Can't believe not one of the stores in Tampa is on that list.

One of the K-Marts is in a completely dead strip mall, barely visible from the road (which itself is not a highly trafficked area) and is in one of the worst parts of town. I've been in that store once and it was completely rundown.

Not to mention the other K-Mart is about 30 seconds away from a Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target and a Gamestop, all on the same street. Three out of four of these stores are visible from the busiest highway in Tampa and are accessible as soon as you exit it -- the K-Mart is further down the road and you'd never know it was there.

The local one I go to is actually the only big chain in a 5 to 10 mile radius, so it has that going for it, and its in a busy strip mall with a grocery store so that one will probably be the last to close.

I thought Josh's message seemed ominous... I agree with the other posters, I can see K-Mart cutting out the big deals in an attempt to stay afloat.

Overall, is anyone here really surprised though? I imagine the problems everyone faced in Electronics was just indicative of how a lot of these stores were running as a whole. Honestly, I'd like this wave of store closings to prompt better customer service across the board (with Josh setting the example here) but it'll never happen; the rest of the employees (barring a few good ones) probably don't even realize / care about the situation K-Mart is in... the one a lot of them helped put the store in.

I wonder if this will at all mean that maybe the remaining stores might get modernization efforts? One store near me got renovated a couple years back. It of course has the good fortune of being in the middle of a university town and not being flanked by a Target and Walmart within a two minute drive on either side. I know that one of the most frequent complaints seems to be how antiquated the stores look inside. It seems that despite the other major one being the skeleton crew strategy of the past half decade, they'll probably never increase payrolls.

[quote name='spedmunki']There is no such thing as KMart clearance. There used to be, before the SHC gamer found/exploited this site. Now you pay stupid prices for old/out of print games.[/QUOTE]

Congrats on beating IATCG, lude21 and the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre brain trust to the punch. You win this round.

This news pained me, as half of my local Kmarts are on the chopping block, and I loved hunting for clearance treasures. I've really grown to like Kmart since the gaming coupon train started. When driving places, seeing the burnt out, flickering Big K's often excited me, with a "What old treasure games will I find there?!?!" feeling that had me stopping even when on vacations.

But, as much as I've grown to love the chain, I knew the end (or beginning of an end) was coming for them sooner than later. I think the Shop Your Way program breathed some life into them, making Kmart / Sears feel slightly new. However, the stores are just in awful shape on the whole. Walk inside, and you enter a time capsule of the 70's/80's. They're old, run down, dirty, smell off, old music, and the management/customer service (which rubs off onto the employees) is pretty awful in comparison to other chains. Don't get me wrong...there are some golden gem employees that are among the best I've ever had, but it's not the norm.

As a result, the Kmart customer demographic is frequently sketchy / lower class / very old in comparison to a healthy mix found in other chains. As a result of this, theft and problem customers are up, while sales tend to be never-claimed layaway and cheaper items. Then, when higher-class customers do shop Kmart and buy expensive items, they are often treated questionably like criminals, which drives them away.

Shop Your Way and other promos have been welcome Band-Aids, but on broken bones. I think the minimum remodel needs new floors, new music, a fresh scent (yes, some chains do scent their stores, and I find it works well on me), and new crisp LED Kmart signage. The new Kmart carts (especially the little ones) have been very nice in the stores that got them. Some of the parking lots are in awful shape, and perhaps could just be sealed for a slight improvement.

Train the employees and reward them for the best performance (not by warranties sold, but customers made happy)...and put all the managers under review. If lots of customer service issues about stores come in, give the managers the boot. The acceptance of a poor customer experience among the chain is a huge reason for where Kmart / Sears is today.

I used to live in Tallahassee, FL and I was floored to see that the Kmart was not one of the stores closing. I thought for sure with 11 stores closing in the state it had to be one. I cannot even imagine the condition of the other stores if the Tallahassee store made the cut...I guess there is still a chance but man that store is a POS.

None of mine are closing. My local can be hard to deal with unless Avril is working, she doesn't know games but she never fails in taking the time to help me find something. Then there is the store near my work about 30 miles away, Chris is over the electronics dept. and he always is willing to look for something if its not on the floor and knows all the deals.

[quote name='spedmunki']There is no such thing as KMart clearance. There used to be, before the SHC gamer found/exploited this site. Now you pay stupid prices for old/out of print games.[/QUOTE]

This.

I HAD (past tense) a $40 gift card to Kmart, not much by any means, but after meandering over to the gaming department I saw that $40 wouldn't get me much. Everything is literally still MSRP. SHC is obviously pushing newer releases, which makes sense, but all the same he could still have kept the old clearance pricing at Kmart letalone Sears.

I just got denied the use of one of my 2x Skyward Sword coupons... since when did this happen? They coupons have different numbers and nowhere does it say you can't get the benefit of one offer twice.

And this thing expires tomorrow so any help before then would be appreciated.

[quote name='Vinny']I just got denied the use of one of my 2x Skyward Sword coupons... since when did this happen? They coupons have different numbers and nowhere does it say you can't get the benefit of one offer twice.

And this thing expires tomorrow so any help before then would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

u can only use one coupon per offer on one transaction. u can get two coupons but they have to be used on diff transactions... its in the OP

[quote name='SPVietBoy']u can only use one coupon per offer on one transaction. u can get two coupons but they have to be used on diff transactions... its in the OP[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks, I didn't realize that was case. I was under the impression that was true only if the barcodes were the same (the two I have have two different barcodes) but it looks like that means if it's from the same item.

That kinda sucks because I bought a 1600 MS Points card with a game. Could have just done two separate transactions.:whistle2:/

[quote name='salty tbone']Congrats on beating IATCG, lude21 and the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre brain trust to the punch. You win this round.[/QUOTE]

hahaha. The people still complaining about the clearance deals make me laugh.

[quote name='Vinny']Ah, thanks, I didn't realize that was case. I was under the impression that was true only if the barcodes were the same (the two I have have two different barcodes) but it looks like that means if it's from the same item.

That kinda sucks because I bought a 1600 MS Points card with a game. Could have just done two separate transactions.:whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

no you couldn't the 1600 points cards at 19.99.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I used to live in Tallahassee, FL and I was floored to see that the Kmart was not one of the stores closing. I thought for sure with 11 stores closing in the state it had to be one. I cannot even imagine the condition of the other stores if the Tallahassee store made the cut...I guess there is still a chance but man that store is a POS.[/QUOTE]

Volusia County got hit the hardest

[quote name='confoosious']hahaha. The people still complaining about the clearance deals make me laugh.

no you couldn't the 1600 points cards at 19.99.[/QUOTE]

Seeing games that are 3 years old priced at $39.99 makes me and Harvey laugh...

where is he by the way? I haven't seen him on here since his eBay sn was ousted

[quote name='confoosious']no you couldn't the 1600 points cards at 19.99.[/QUOTE]

Bah! You're right... $20 PSN card then.

Son of a bitch. The Pendleton Pike store is my regular one and its electronic department has been great the last year or two. The only other close store tends to suck any time I've been in there. Hopefully they can some folks there and transfer over the ones who've done a good job at the closing store.

[quote name='PhoenixAZ']I'm shocked there are no further closures in the greater Phoenix area. There are three stores for sure I can think of that I wouldn't be shocked to see on the chopping block, possibly even a fourth store.

[/QUOTE]
I don't venture out to Phoenix much, but when I do, the stores don't seem all that busy. I'm shocked both Mesa stores are staying open. I'm pretty sure that they could close Lindsay and Main and the major fans of Kmart in that area would make the relative short drive to Power, especially since it's by a mall and all sorts of other shopping.
But what do I know, maybe Lindsay and Main is a gold mine.

[quote name='GBAstar']Seeing games that are 3 years old priced at $39.99 makes me and Harvey laugh...

where is he by the way? I haven't seen him on here since his eBay sn was ousted[/QUOTE]

Haha, I"m here, just haven't had much to discuss on here and looks like that is going to be the same way this coming year. Where are the Kmart police berating the people complaining about the clearance prices? Seems like a couple of them have been disappearing from this board as well.

My prediction is that another wave of stores will close after the 2nd quarter, unless somehow things can turn around.

I also expect that we won't see specific deals except on a few big blockbusters, but I would hope Kmart and SHC will still do the deals on spend X, get X amount coupon.

This past year was phenomenal from a gaming deal perspective for Kmart, but the electronics can't pull off a miracle when the other departments fall far behind their goals and can't compete with other stores. The stores that I have been to aren't closing, and the one in my hometown is filled by nice/competent employees (at least in the electronics/management fields), so I'm very glad that they aren't going to have to be job hunting/collecting unemployment. I just don't know what Kmart is going to do when their electronics sales plummet this coming year compared to the past 18 months. Time will tell...

[quote name='harveyiscool']Where are the Kmart police berating the people complaining about the clearance prices? Seems like a couple of them have been disappearing from this board as well.[/QUOTE]
You know, for all the claims that KMart fanboys exist, I've yet to ever see one on these boards, just people peppering their posts with predictions that they'll get riled up over what's being said.

Wondering when we'll see the rest of the closures list. Chicago area seems safe so far.

[quote name='DPsycho']You know, for all the claims that KMart fanboys exist, I've yet to ever see one on these boards, just people peppering their posts with predictions that they'll get riled up over what's being said.

Wondering when we'll see the rest of the closures list. Chicago area seems safe so far.[/QUOTE]

You must have missed the many posts back in late spring/summer (can't remember exactly). But it is true, they are dying off...

anyone think these closings will affect Josh and his team from sending out GCs if there are problems? Mark told me I'd get a GC sent when I buy 4000 MSP card due to there being none during MW3 week; I finally picked up cards and emailed back few days ago.

[quote name='harveyiscool']You must have missed the many posts back in late spring/summer (can't remember exactly). But it is true, they are dying off...[/QUOTE]

In all seriousness, I've been following the KMart threads for the past thirteen months, and the only person who ever tore into people unnecessarily for criticizing KMart was Altanis. However, he was always doing it just to provoke arguments with everyone and anyone, not out of fandom.

If you're talking about the people who took arms against you, that had everything to do with being against hoarding and flipping, not KMart idolatry.

Like I said before, people have long suggested that their own posts would incite some kind of backlash from some apparent pack of chain guardians, but those preemptive defenses always went unchallenged. Amusing, really.

If anything, there are people in this thread who profess that Josh can do no wrong, but pretty much everyone agrees that KMart as a whole has serious issues.

I would dispute that, but that is all good. For a while, whenever someone came here and asked a question, and the po-po deemed it dumb or repetitive, the select few would go off. As for me, I could care less, which is why I constantly responded to each of them as a couple were even sending me private messages.

Back at those times, bringing up a negative comment against Kmart was a big no-no, such as when the entire argument started when I suggested that it would be a good idea for a Fortune 500 company to have a replacement/backup person be able to handle the coupons/deals when the main person goes out on an extended leave. Bad idea apparently. Kmart could do no wrong then. Only in the past couple months the serious issues are coming to light without resistance.

[quote name='ddeeaallzz']
Shop Your Way and other promos have been welcome Band-Aids, but on broken bones. I think the minimum remodel needs new floors, new music, a fresh scent (yes, some chains do scent their stores, and I find it works well on me), and new crisp LED Kmart signage. The new Kmart carts (especially the little ones) have been very nice in the stores that got them. Some of the parking lots are in awful shape, and perhaps could just be sealed for a slight improvement.

Train the employees and reward them for the best performance (not by warranties sold, but customers made happy)...and put all the managers under review. If lots of customer service issues about stores come in, give the managers the boot. The acceptance of a poor customer experience among the chain is a huge reason for where Kmart / Sears is today.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately though, none of this can happen. K-Mart didn't even make enough money this holiday season to the point where it has to close 100 - 120 stores; there is no way they could afford a remodel of every single store and a retraining of all employees.

The only way this could happen was if they shut down about half their stores, used that money to re-do the remaining half and really focused on making a comeback.

I honestly do think this is the beginning of the end. K-Mart needs to turn their image around, but they really can't do that without money, which they aren't getting. Even if each employee acted extremely nice, the stores for the most part are still rundown as hell and outside of the gaming department, K-Mart has some high prices and not so great deals on everything else.

[quote name='salty tbone']Congrats on beating IATCG, lude21 and the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre brain trust to the punch. You win this round.[/QUOTE]
:cry:I'm touched to be recognized for trying to call out for a return to the way things were. What was so wrong about how clearance was handled 5-6 years ago? At least merchandise was moving then. Now it sits and collects dust(literally).

Maybe Kmart can take a page from Best Buy and eliminate a good chunk of their old stock for $5-10 or so in one big push like they did before Christmas and are still doing now with their deal(s) of the day. At least then they'd have some room in the game cases for newer games and not have to relegate those to the bottom shelves.
[quote name='confoosious']hahaha. The people still complaining about the clearance deals make me laugh.[/QUOTE]
The chain existed and survived through the first rounds of store closings and the bankruptcy before Kmart/Sears 'merged'. During that time there were their usual sales on games and accessories and there was the normal clearance pricing schedule to eliminate old/stagnant stock.

It kept me coming back to buy more and more every month and if the Shop Your Way Rewards program were actually around back then(2004-2005), then I probably would've been a silver or higher member because I was buying THAT much stuff.

But when items that have already been cleared out at other chains for much cheaper are still $49.99-59.99 at Kmart/Sears you just gotta laugh and shake your head. No wonder they're in the crapper again. Then again having rude/ignorant/lazy employees and stores that haven't been updated since the 70's(when many of them were first built) doesn't help either.

If anything, the chain should be looking to eliminate the top people in the company instead of closing stores. God knows their compensation packages alone could probably add more money back to their bottom line.

Call me Kmart Police, but I don't see how anyone could see the old Kmart Clearance strategy as viable for the chain...Kmart was bleeding huge losses doing this. Sure hunting for games that were suddenly a few bucks was fun, but in all honesty, I rarely could find any before the flippers in the area cleared them all out anyway.

The new clearance strategy makes perfect sense, and I'm able to pay a little more, but actually get the games I want at a great clearance price. If I'm not happy with that price, I wait. I've seen games I want slowly clearanced to 29.99...then to 19.99, then to 14.99 this year, which was finally my bite point. Will they make it to $9.99 or $4.99? Possibly, but the risk of losing them to flippers or other customers isn't worth it.

Josh (SHC Gamer) coming to CAG was expected to be bad. But in reality, it has been nothing but good. He has brought amazing deals catered to us, which is about the coolest thing I've ever seen a chain do. I have saved far more on new releases than I ever would have picking up the $3 clearance games, etc.

Kudos to Josh and Kmart, and I hope the chain somehow miraculously pulls a 360 in 2012. Again though, I really don't think Kmart can go on without updating the stores and promoting those changes to customers. No one wants to shop in a run-down environment with poor in-store CS unless the prices are significantly less than the competition.

That's the only reason I'm shopping Kmart with the gaming deals. Everything else in the store can be had elsewhere cheaper AND in clean, modern stores with good CS. Josh has tried to help every single customer here, but there's no way that 1 person can save a whole decayed chain. I wish nothing but the best for him for trying so hard though.

[quote name='animalspinners']Unfortunately though, none of this can happen. K-Mart didn't even make enough money this holiday season to the point where it has to close 100 - 120 stores; there is no way they could afford a remodel of every single store and a retraining of all employees.

The only way this could happen was if they shut down about half their stores, used that money to re-do the remaining half and really focused on making a comeback.

I honestly do think this is the beginning of the end. K-Mart needs to turn their image around, but they really can't do that without money, which they aren't getting. Even if each employee acted extremely nice, the stores for the most part are still rundown as hell and outside of the gaming department, K-Mart has some high prices and not so great deals on everything else.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with you more. It's a terrible situation to be in; Kmart/Sears is so far into decay/neglect that it's next to impossible to fix themselves without a huge cash reserve.

My thoughts are yours. They're going to have to shutter more stores and invest the assets into the stronger stores to try for a comeback, or they will be history in the future. If they catch on with the comeback, they can start expanding again. It's going to take something brilliant though to win customers back from Walmart, Costco, Target, and all the online retailers.

[quote name='ddeeaallzz']Call me Kmart Police, but I don't see how anyone could see the old Kmart Clearance strategy as viable for the chain...Kmart was bleeding huge losses doing this. Sure hunting for games that were suddenly a few bucks was fun, but in all honesty, I rarely could find any before the flippers in the area cleared them all out anyway.

The new clearance strategy makes perfect sense, and I'm able to pay a little more, but actually get the games I want at a great clearance price. If I'm not happy with that price, I wait. I've seen games I want slowly clearanced to 29.99...then to 19.99, then to 14.99 this year, which was finally my bite point. Will they make it to $9.99 or $4.99? Possibly, but the risk of losing them to flippers or other customers isn't worth it.[/quote]
Actually I hooked up more than a few CAG's with the older clearance games they couldn't find at their stores. But I will admit that I had flipped a bunch of the old clearance titles as well. Not to mention at $1-5 each I just put them in my backlog to play sometime later on. At even $10-15 a game I want to play them right then and then trade/sell them to try and recoup my money spent.
Josh (SHC Gamer) coming to CAG was expected to be bad. But in reality, it has been nothing but good. He has brought amazing deals catered to us, which is about the coolest thing I've ever seen a chain do. I have saved far more on new releases than I ever would have picking up the $3 clearance games, etc.
These deals catered to some segments of CAG perhaps. But after becoming accustomed to getting games for super cheap for so long at a chain it leaves a bad taste in your mouth to have to pay MSRP(in cash no less) for one game in order to get a coupon for a discount off a later game. Not everybody wants to have to buy a constant stream of games JUST to get a discount on one they may want cheaper later on.

Kudos to Josh and Kmart, and I hope the chain somehow miraculously pulls a 360 in 2012. Again though, I really don't think Kmart can go on without updating the stores and promoting those changes to customers. No one wants to shop in a run-down environment with poor in-store CS unless the prices are significantly less than the competition.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if they made a 360* turnaround wouldn't they be in the same position they're in right now?;)
That's the only reason I'm shopping Kmart with the gaming deals. Everything else in the store can be had elsewhere cheaper AND in clean, modern stores with good CS. Josh has tried to help every single customer here, but there's no way that 1 person can save a whole decayed chain. I wish nothing but the best for him for trying so hard though.
I do still shop at Kmart, but only for the clothing and other clearance that has remained the same with the steady normally scheduled drops that electronics/gaming clearance used to see. You can't beat getting pairs of shoes for $10 a pair or pairs of shorts for $1-2 a pair.

I do also commend SHC-Gamer for trying like hell to get their gaming/electronics deals out there. But the thing is, aside from a lil blurb on the corner of ONE circular's one page I haven't seen a huge push to really advertise these deals to the whole of the general public.

If the general public actually knew they could save X amount on a future purchase by buying a certain amount of stuff at Kmart in an earlier transaction, then it might make a dent. But like I said, the only mention of KmartGamer deals was a lil corner of one page of a circular and that was MONTHS ago. No one outside of CAG and the other deal sites know about these deals.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:cry:I'm touched to be recognized for trying to call out for a return to the way things were.[/QUOTE]

Hey, sorry. You've contributed more to this site with both trades and penny guide threads than I ever will. It's just uncanny how often you've chimed in lamenting Kmart clearance the second someone asks about it. It's like you're an old man in a rocking chair eager to reminisce about a happier time. "Back in my day, we used to find seas of .97 copies of Viewtiful Joe from Ogdenville to North Haverbrook. It reminds me of the time I flipped 133 copies of Iridium Runners and was able to buy a ... "

I miss $5 copies of X-blades too. I also miss Circuit City clearance and will soon miss Blockbuster because the final two stores in my county are closing. Things change. I know that's not profound, but we have to move on.

I mean this all with respect. It's the price of celebrity to have anonymous jerks like me poke fun at you.

It cracks me up Iaatcg that you that you think people like you are actually good for a company. You're a locust. ( and that's being kind). If the best and most profitable company in the world had a majority of customers like you, it would go out of businesss quickly.

Do what you do. That's fine. But dont delude yourself into thinking you do a company good. Or that catering, or even throwing any bones, to people like you is a good business strategy.

The old clearance strategy was simply not viable. If it would have continued, there still would be no $5 games today because the gaming section would have closed down already. This is why I laugh at the people who cry everytime Kmart clearance is mentioned.
----

As for Harvey, he came on and started complaining about lack of deals cause SHC had a death in the family and couldnt wrangle deals while he was out. Meanwhile, we find out that he was only angry because he liked to buy up everything Kmart put on sale so he could stock his eBay store.

Now, I'm no fan of resellers but like I said, do what you do.

I, and other human beings, thought it was a bit callous to criticize someone who just lost a family member because you need to stock your eBay store.

That's the whole story for the newbs in this thread. Thats who Harvey is.

The problem is, since you are the ultimate fan boy I am referring to, is that you have switched around my entire point and still lie about it. It obviously makes sense to anyone level-headed on my point. I never became angry that SHC "couldn't wrangle deals while he was out". I was upset that, for a very large corporation, no one else could step in and fill his shoes while he was out. For god's sake, take 8 months if you must, but the entire coupon/game deals should not come to a complete halt because one person is not there.

If that is callous and deriding to someone who just lost a family member, then you are deranged. I don't know how many times I have repeated this, but you constantly twist it around to make your stand stronger and diminish mine.

Then again, it doesn't really surprise me that no one else can step up and handle that after I am seeing 100-120 stores close and unlimited complaints.

I'm too sick this weekend to go through old posts. Seems to me a lot of people saw it the same way and it wasn't just me who stuck up for Josh and told you to go take a hike. So either a large number of people are lying or just you are.

But if that's how you remember it, then good for you.

You and the couple others twisted it the way you described, simple as that. Since you live on CAG, which is beyond obvious since you are here while you are "sick", I'm sure you will do whatever it takes to go back and search for it. Problem is, you will not find my post as you describe, so good luck. I love updating my Kmart thread as I am "too sick" as well.

[quote name='salty tbone']Hey, sorry. You've contributed more to this site with both trades and penny guide threads than I ever will. It's just uncanny how often you've chimed in lamenting Kmart clearance the second someone asks about it. It's like you're an old man in a rocking chair eager to reminisce about a happier time. "Back in my day, we used to find seas of .97 copies of Viewtiful Joe from Ogdenville to North Haverbrook. It reminds me of the time I flipped 133 copies of Iridium Runners and was able to buy a ... "

I miss $5 copies of X-blades too. I also miss Circuit City clearance and will soon miss Blockbuster because the final two stores in my county are closing. Things change. I know that's not profound, but we have to move on.

I mean this all with respect. It's the price of celebrity to have anonymous jerks like me poke fun at you.[/QUOTE]
You forgot the 'get off my lawn' with the cane waving at the neighborhood kids part.;)

But yeah, things change. Yet the more they change, the more they stay the same in some situations. Like I said earlier, SHC and crew need to get approval/fundage from the company to really market their department's sales and deals in a more aggressive manner to the soccer mom types who only equate Gamestop with gaming purchases.

Although the real way to help the company at large(as also said earlier) is to fire the idiots at the top who obviously haven't helped the chain if we're once again seeing store closures.
[quote name='confoosious']It cracks me up Iaatcg that you that you think people like you are actually good for a company. You're a locust. ( and that's being kind). If the best and most profitable company in the world had a majority of customers like you, it would go out of businesss quickly.

Do what you do. That's fine. But dont delude yourself into thinking you do a company good. Or that catering, or even throwing any bones, to people like you is a good business strategy.

The old clearance strategy was simply not viable. If it would have continued, there still would be no $5 games today because the gaming section would have closed down already. This is why I laugh at the people who cry everytime Kmart clearance is mentioned. [/QUOTE]
I never really said people like me are good or bad for a company. But you do have to admit that having old stock that most people who go to Kmart to look for games would overlook every single time collecting dust and taking up shelf space isn't good either.

As for the gaming section of Kmart closing down, I have a feeling that the whole chain will end up joining Circuit City and the rest soon enough. In order to get rid of a cancer, you have to cut out the affected parts, right? As I said above, it's fairly obvious that the people at the top are the problem and are mismanaging this chain into the ground.

[quote name='harveyiscool']The problem is, since you are the ultimate fan boy I am referring to, is that you have switched around my entire point and still lie about it. It obviously makes sense to anyone level-headed on my point. I never became angry that SHC "couldn't wrangle deals while he was out". I was upset that, for a very large corporation, no one else could step in and fill his shoes while he was out. For god's sake, take 8 months if you must, but the entire coupon/game deals should not come to a complete halt because one person is not there.

If that is callous and deriding to someone who just lost a family member, then you are deranged. I don't know how many times I have repeated this, but you constantly twist it around to make your stand stronger and diminish mine.

Then again, it doesn't really surprise me that no one else can step up and handle that after I am seeing 100-120 stores close and unlimited complaints.[/QUOTE]

In all fairness to your actual suggestion about having a backup person, most places with a specialized position such as Josh's do not have a backup person as that would require having an extra person on salary for I don't even want to guess how much money a year. I know if I go on vacation at work, there is simply no one there to do my job during that time because the place where I work can not afford to hire what is essentially a backup. It is an idealized idea that as we can now see in the light of recent events, was not feasible.

I agree with you Maineavalanche with the recent news that came out, but back then I didn't know this was coming. I still can't comprehend how a company with 1300 stores doesn't have a backup plan/person to know how to operate when the head guy goes out. It would seem to me that this would be how everything operates when the head of something goes out. That is why we have assistant managers, assistant coaches, assistant everything.

Realistically, for Josh to have a backup person would require that he has said person sit in on every conversation he has, get to know every rep on personal terms as he does, and build the same rapport while coming to understand the intricacies of not just each publisher but each individual he talks to to learn what does and does not work. This is not to mention having an understanding of the current landscape of gamers and being able to make the call of what will and will not sell to shoppers of the chain. Only someone who's done this and exactly this would be able to step in for an unanticipated week and effectively set up a coupon for whatever the release was that time. (Probably a forgettable shooter, but I honestly can't recall.)

As said person's pay scale couldn't possibly be on par with Josh's, all the company would be doing is cultivating someone perfect for the equivalent position with one of KMart's rivals.

My prediction for the new year (2012) is that Josh will grow tired of SHC jerking him around and not letting him continue to build on the momentum he has built for Kmart - along with having learned the ends and outs of video gaming buying/selling will take a similar job with another company. As frustrating as it must be, he does not seem to have the full support of SHC, those making millions but who are not on the ground floor seeing what is actually going on or should be going on with the company.

My strategy for the company would be to cut non-profitable stores and update the remaining ones to focus on regaining an identity. I remember a few years ago, Kmart was in the process of updating their stores and going with a new logo along with a green color scheme, but I'm guess they ran out of money or somebody did not like it. I think Kmart needs to update their computer / inventory system, do away with price stickers and actually mark items on the shelves they belong, clean and modernize interior/exterior to make it a place people want to go instead of an afterthought, maybe a little training for the employees?, quit trying to be a jack of all trades (selling appliances, etc.) and focus on core items that will make a profit...I know these ideas take lots of money and it seems the company does not have it but they will continue to go down if they do not invest in some capitol for needed updating.

[quote name='DPsycho']Realistically, for Josh to have a backup person would require that he has said person sit in on every conversation he has, get to know every rep on personal terms as he does, and build the same rapport while coming to understand the intricacies of not just each publisher but each individual he talks to to learn what does and does not work. This is not to mention having an understanding of the current landscape of gamers and being able to make the call of what will and will not sell to shoppers of the chain. Only someone who's done this and exactly this would be able to step in for an unanticipated week and effectively set up a coupon for whatever the release was that time. (Probably a forgettable shooter, but I honestly can't recall.)

As said person's pay scale couldn't possibly be on par with Josh's, all the company would be doing is cultivating someone perfect for the equivalent position with one of KMart's rivals.[/QUOTE]

All these are good points and I understand them. I don't think it was a week, more like a month, which goes to my point about a lengthy or permanent change, not just a week here or there. I just can't imagine that within the world's 3rd largest discount store chain, they would throw all of their eggs in one basket, in the case that the main guy would take a job for another company, quit, etc...I would compare what you are talking to something like a general manager in sports. They are the ones who constantly talk to players agents, other teams gm's, owners, etc...What happens when they get fired or leave for another team. The assistant GM either takes over or another is hired, but I can guarantee the assistant has all of those contacts, or has been in on a few of those conference calls, etc...

Maybe I am not in a realistic world, but I believe that is what assistants do. They don't get paid nearly as much as the main guy, are normally younger or less experienced, and are in that position so they can someday strive to become what their boss is or be put into that position in an emergency situation.

Oh well, right now all I am hoping for is that the deals continue, they try and stay competitive on major releases with competition, and Kmart doesn't keep closing more stores. I don't know how that is going to happen, but we shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back