SHC-Gamer

Official Representative
Like me on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/SHCGamer

Kmartgamer 1.0 = 10,508 replies/663,642 views
Kmartgamer 2.0 = 9,828 replies/538,327 views
Kmartgamer 3.0 = 7,215 replies/549,496 views
Kmartgamer 4.0 = 7,436 replies/503,006 views

www.KmartGamer.com (Blog is effective in all locations)

To receive gaming coupons you must be a Shop Your Way Reward member. It's free and only takes a couple of minutes to sign up in store.

May 22nd through the 28th: (Light week, believe me, I need it!)

:360::ps3: Enslaved $14.99 (Reg. $19.99)
xbox360.gif
ps3.gif
Splatterhouse $19.99 (Reg. $39.99)
:360::ps3: Dirt 3 $15 Gaming Coupon
:pc: Civilization 5 $29.99 (Reg. $49.99) Not available in all stores, recommend calling ahead.

Kmart Weekly Ad: (Circulars not effective in all stores, NYC and Offshore in particular - Savings coupon offers effective everywhere)

May 22nd through the 28th:

:360: Xbox 360 4GB Kinect Bundle $60 Gaming Coupon ($299.99)
:360: Kinect Sensor $25 Gaming Coupon ($149.99)
:360: Halo Reach $39.99 ($59.99)

Coming Soon:

To receive gaming coupons you must be a Shop Your Way Reward member. It's free and only takes a couple of minutes to sign up in store.

:360::ps3: 5-31 Hunted Demon Forge $15 Gaming Coupon

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up a copy of Dynasty Warriors 7 today without a hitch. Copies for both systems were out on display.

Just as a heads up as well to all of you niche gamers, copies of the 3rd Birthday were out on the floor. No discount, but hey, if Kmart has it, you might want to prove to Josh that niche can sell if stocked.

Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection for PSP does ship the same week as Portal 2 & MK. That might be something to add to the mix for that week ;)

[quote name='chriscolbert']Exactly. Some people either just don't get the reasoning behind it or were hoping to exploit it themselves.[/QUOTE]
Where's the exploit if it works properly?

[quote name='handsome_bitch']Has josh commented on how many $60 coupons we can get?[/QUOTE]

Not much has been said about the coupons other than any combination of games can be used and if you buy Mortal Kombat or Portal you can get a points card for $10. Im curious myself as I have 5 or 6 games im buying around that time.

If its a limit two per account like the SYWR, ill have to think about cancelling any preorders I have with amazon. Im in the same boat. I have 4-5 games on my list.

[quote name='handsome_bitch']If its a limit two per account like the SYWR, ill have to think about cancelling any preorders I have with amazon. Im in the same boat. I have 4-5 games on my list.[/QUOTE]

I was actually hoping for two since one is Michael Jackson for Kinect for my Wife and the other is the Prince of Persia Collection. I believe the other three are $60 games however.

For those going to the Kmart in Braintree MA, they have 2 PS3 copies, and 4 360 copies of Dynasty Warriors 7. Also not on display, I had to ask for them to get it in the shelves.

About a 95% drop off in customer issues from SYWR to gaming coupons as expected.

Nice change of pace :)

For the $60 limit question; it will most likely be a limit 1 this go around. This is just as much of a test as it is an offer. If it proves successful, I'll try to get it approved with higher expansions. (i.e. 180 to 90, 240 to 120 and so forth)

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Same day use has plenty of non-exploitative uses. Case in point, wait until fall when you get multiple releases a week. Then being able to chain together purchases will be a lifesaver, so I can get all the games I want without having to pick and choose like I did last year. It's why I never picked up Enslaved until last month (or whenever the promo was), since I couldn't fit it into my budget last fall unless I could use a coupon on it and get another one back, and since that wasn't possible, I passed.[/QUOTE]

Oh don't get me wrong, I would love them to be available instantly as well for the same reason. But there will always be those that ruin it and therefore it's a necessary evil.

Regarding the coupon delay, I totally understand the delay counter points.

Few things to consider:

1) The unique barcodes does not eliminate return issues until the receipt shows the reward on the first part of the receipt which it doesn't. The SYWR integration is what will help curb that but we'll still have to deal with issues on a member by member basis.
2) I believe even Amazon has a two day delay on their credits which is similar to ours, arguably.
3) If the redemption window can't change (internal restrictions - If you all remember how hard it was to extend from 30 to 45 it was a doozy for me) would you be willing to lose time at the back end to pick it up on the front end. Maybe seasonality plays an role?
4) Important: Two touch points change the financial model considerably for the average consumer. CAG's (and myself) dominate the multiple game scenario on day 1, as we should. Average consumer, picks up the game, other things, comes back later and picks up a game....and other things again. Hmmmmm, others things twice? Yep.

Willing of course to listen to any feedback and I'll do my best to shape everything to your liking as possible!

Any potential deals for:

Michael Jackson The Experience (Wife Wants)
Prince of Persia Trilogy
Driver San Francisco (If it still comes out this month and doesnt get delayed)

I know you have already mentioned a possible deal for Socom although that is the same week as Mortal Kombat and Portal

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']Regarding the coupon delay, I totally understand the delay counter points.

Few things to consider:

1) The unique barcodes does not eliminate return issues until the receipt shows the reward on the first part of the receipt which it doesn't. The SYWR integration is what will help curb that but we'll still have to deal with issues on a member by member basis.
2) I believe even Amazon has a two day delay on their credits which is similar to ours, arguably.
3) If the redemption window can't change (internal restrictions - If you all remember how hard it was to extend from 30 to 45 it was a doozy for me) would you be willing to lose time at the back end to pick it up on the front end. Maybe seasonality plays an role?
4) Important: Two touch points change the financial model considerably for the average consumer. CAG's (and myself) dominate the multiple game scenario on day 1, as we should. Average consumer, picks up the game, other things, comes back later and picks up a game....and other things again. Hmmmmm, others things twice? Yep.

Willing of course to listen to any feedback and I'll do my best to shape everything to your liking as possible![/QUOTE]

I'd be willing to lose time at the back end for the sake of a shorter delay., but if that never gets approved. Seasonal should definitely be the next big factor looked at.

[quote name='Trance Addix']I'd be willing to lose time at the back end for the sake of a shorter delay., but if that never gets approved. Seasonal should definitely be the next big factor looked at.[/QUOTE]

Oh god please don't do this Josh.

I actually wish you guys had a longer expiration date on those.
I found myself having to buy a game($29.99) w/ the $25 coupon I had from GT5 deal.
Ended up just giving the game away in Toys for Tots bin in the K-Mart.

Just got back from picking up WWE All-Stars. No issues getting my gamer coupon and $15 WWE merchandise coupon. I'll miss out on the Dibiases since I didn't get it at Gamestop, but what a deal.

FYI, the gaming coupon isn't valid until April 4th and expires May 14th. The WWE coupon expires April 26th.

NJ and wanted to get the Tiger Woods 12 with $20 coupon for next game purchase & he said they didn't get them yet.

Just wondering since the deal is only for a few days. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='drevel']NJ and wanted to get the Tiger Woods 12 with $25 coupon for next game purchase & he said they didn't get them yet.

Just wondering since the deal is only for a few days. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Chances are they didn't take them out of the back - always push for them to check the back. Josh and the gang are pretty good at shipping the games to the stores.

Hey Josh, any chance that the Dragon Age Ultimate Deal will make a return at 25? I know this is out of right field, but target clearance has failed me.

[quote name='Trance Addix']Chances are they didn't take them out of the back - always push for them to check the back. Josh and the gang are pretty good at shipping the games to the stores.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the guy was pretty cool. He did check the back for me & said they didn't have any. So far not that good an experience with Kmart gaming. Probably just go to gamestop tomorrow. Thanks

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']Regarding the coupon delay, I totally understand the delay counter points.

Few things to consider:

Willing of course to listen to any feedback and I'll do my best to shape everything to your liking as possible![/QUOTE]
For me it depends. In most scenarios I prefer the longer coupons, but in the fall, there are more games I want to pick up. For mid-late 2011 there is as of right now Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Twisted Metal PS3, and Battlefield 3 I would consider picking up day one (which I do not usually do).

Right now the main games that interest me are Portal 2 and Tiger Woods (might buy both during the sale if they are both in stock, NJ location so I might have trouble finding the points cards which I would like (Mass Effect 2 DLC and never tried PSN yet). But after this no games are day 1 purchases until the ones mentioned above.

I think making them up front is just going to cause more issues for the cashiers because then there will be alot of multiple transactions just to get a coupon then use a coupon. I think the program should just stay the way it is until you get a online interface.

Josh, any Xbox 360 console deals coming up? I need a replacement system and I'm hoping for a discounted game, gift card, or contoller. :)

Few things to consider:

I would be willing, during the fall Q3/Q4 madness rush, to have 30 day coupons that activate immediately versus 45 that start a week later. Maybe that's just me though, but I have pretty broad tastes in games so I prefer to grab plenty at once. I have a harder time making them last 45 days than finding something to spend them on. But maybe that's just me. :)

If you can't do immediate coupons, then promos which reward multiple games at once would also be really nice, a la the Portal 2/MK one. I can't imagine how thrilled I'd be if that ran the week of Skyrim. Picking up Uncharted 3, Skyrim, and something else for the price of two? I can't finish the thought or I'll want it too much.

[quote name='drevel']Yeah the guy was pretty cool. He did check the back for me & said they didn't have any. So far not that good an experience with Kmart gaming. Probably just go to gamestop tomorrow. Thanks[/QUOTE]
I'm sure he was cool and I am glad he was nice, but I am 99.9% sure they had the games. If you ever have the time to reach out to Ad monster or myself I'd love to investigate the issue for you.

Picked up Shift 2 today no problems, used my $15 from Crysis 2 deal and got another $20 coupon for Portal 2! Thanks for the deals Josh and team!

[quote name='bgame2']Hey Josh, any chance that the Dragon Age Ultimate Deal will make a return at 25? I know this is out of right field, but target clearance has failed me.[/QUOTE]
May be tough, I put a lot of funding towards that deal in March, I'll try.

[quote name='Indiana']Josh, any Xbox 360 console deals coming up? I need a replacement system and I'm hoping for a discounted game, gift card, or contoller. :)[/QUOTE]
We have a very good deal on 4/24.

[quote name='SeanTM22']Picked up Shift 2 today no problems, used my $15 from Crysis 2 deal and got another $20 coupon for Portal 2! Thanks for the deals Josh and team![/QUOTE]
Cool! Great to hear!

Josh, random question: Any chance you can write a blog post or something about the work involved in getting the deals approved and some of the intricacies involved (without releasing sensitive information)? I'm really interested in what you do and how.

If you explained this already, pardon my ignorance.

[quote name='Trance Addix']Josh, random question: Any chance you can write a blog post or something about the work involved in getting the deals approved and some of the intricacies involved (without releasing sensitive information)? I'm really interested in what you do and how.

If you explained this already, pardon my ignorance.[/QUOTE]
Like an anatomy of a deal blog? I like it, hmmmm, how to write it. Very good idea.

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']Like an anatomy of a deal blog? I like it, hmmmm, how to write it. Very good idea.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, or you can do a postmortem on some of the popular deals and what it took to bring them to the store level. I'm sure I won't be the only one who'd enjoy reading about the work you put in.

Now to figure out another game to buy with Portal 2, not really interested in MK... Could possibly get two more $30 games... Maybe Bulletstorm and others will be on sale for $29.99? :)

Lets not forget DiRT 3 is quickly approching!

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']Like an anatomy of a deal blog? I like it, hmmmm, how to write it. Very good idea.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like an intriguing read. Working in retail, it'd be interesting to read something like this. :p

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']
3) If the redemption window can't change (internal restrictions - If you all remember how hard it was to extend from 30 to 45 it was a doozy for me) would you be willing to lose time at the back end to pick it up on the front end. Maybe seasonality plays an role?[/QUOTE]

I would rather have more time on the back end for the coupons. I have only once needed a coupon the same week as I received it, but there has been multiple times I burned up a coupon on cheap clearance games just so I wouldn't waste it.

Honestly, I was actually glad when the coupons went away and we switched to SYWR simply because they didn't expire, there was no set amount I had to spend to use them, I could buy anything and I didn't have to keep track of a piece of paper for weeks. I understand the problems you had with them, but as a general consumer that buys a new game once a month, the ability to save up points for bigger purchases was a huge benefit. If we transition back to coupons, at least having a longer time frame would still allow me to save them for what I really want.

[quote name='Trance Addix']Yeah, or you can do a postmortem on some of the popular deals and what it took to bring them to the store level. I'm sure I won't be the only one who'd enjoy reading about the work you put in.[/QUOTE]
That's a really cool idea. I'd be interested in reading that, a kind of step by step what's involved in taking it from idea to actual deal. It'd also be cool if you could do a "day in the life SHCG crew." I like seeing behind the scenes stuff, personally (I'm a sucker for CEs/LEs, natch.)

[quote name='SeanTM22']Lets not forget DiRT 3 is quickly approching![/QUOTE]
Gymkhana. :bouncy: Cannot wait.

got shift 2 and wwe all stars today!! keep up the sweet deals!!...now i have to decide what I should use the gaming coupons on and the wwe coupon too lol

This, seriously!!! Going to school next year, and I'd love to do what you do!!! I want to know exactly how to do it though, lol!!! Maybe one day I could intern at SHC!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='KemperJones']Just got back from picking up WWE All-Stars. No issues getting my gamer coupon and $15 WWE merchandise coupon. I'll miss out on the Dibiases since I didn't get it at Gamestop, but what a deal.

FYI, the gaming coupon isn't valid until April 4th and expires May 14th. The WWE coupon expires April 26th.[/QUOTE]

Glad that it worked for you. It didn't for me

[quote name='drevel']NJ and wanted to get the Tiger Woods 12 with $20 coupon for next game purchase & he said they didn't get them yet.

Just wondering since the deal is only for a few days. Thanks[/QUOTE]

[quote name='drevel']Yeah the guy was pretty cool. He did check the back for me & said they didn't have any. So far not that good an experience with Kmart gaming. Probably just go to gamestop tomorrow. Thanks[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']I'm sure he was cool and I am glad he was nice, but I am 99.9% sure they had the games. If you ever have the time to reach out to Ad monster or myself I'd love to investigate the issue for you.[/QUOTE]

Had a similar problem, but with Shift 2. I've picked up about 6 or so new releases at the same Kmart since August and never had a problem until today. The guy that was always there was gone today and the department was in the hands of a rather young and lazy individual. He said they didn't have any and I pushed to get him to check the back and said it wasn't there and they had a truck coming tomorrow. So I went and found a much more helpful employee who went looking for 10 minutes and couldn't find any copies, could only find WWE All Stars. Whether they had it or not remains to be seen.

So then I went over to the only other Kmart in town. The place is a nightmare and half to get to thanks to construction. The electronics guy there didn't have them out, but went and looked in the back and brought a box out of all the new releases. It looked like there was only 1 copy of Shift 2 for PS3. Bunch of WWE though.

Anyway, got the game but wasn't too pleased. I would bank on the first Kmart actually having the games but the one person there capable of doing things was gone today.

[quote name='Vigilante']I don't think it's just your Kmart; as I posted earlier, there appears to be a promotion this Saturday where SYWR members get the following bonus points based on the amount of their purchase:

$50-74.99: 5,000 points
$75-99.99: 10,000 points
$100 or more: 15,000 points[/QUOTE]
I want to purchase WWE All Stars. I have $22 in rewards points. If I use the $22, do I still get the 5,000 points for spending $50?

JOSH OR STOCK BOY, still waiting for confirmation as to whether you'll be getting MK Tournament Editions? I couldn't care less about Kollector's Editions, but having an arcade stick is a must for fighting games. I'll gladly buy it from Kmart if you will have it. I'm really hoping you'll tell me I can cancel my Amazon MKTE preorder...

Josh:

Went to the Kmart outside of Alexandria, Va yesterday to pick up Shift2. The cases were neat and tidy. All of the weeks new releases (tuesday @2:00) were out and clearly marked. Someone was manning the electronics desk and was able to help me without wait. Coupon printed out without issue.

To summarize: Totally enjoyable visit!

Oh yeah, and I am loving shift2. They have the E30 M3, Mk1 GTi and the MB 190 Evo!! I am in (80's Euro retro) heaven! Helmet cam takes some getting used to, but with all the control settings and customizations, I am going to get lost in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back