SHC-Gamer

Official Representative
Like me on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/SHCGamer

Kmartgamer 1.0 = 10,508 replies/663,642 views
Kmartgamer 2.0 = 9,828 replies/538,327 views
Kmartgamer 3.0 = 7,215 replies/549,496 views
Kmartgamer 4.0 = 7,436 replies/503,006 views

www.KmartGamer.com (Blog is effective in all locations)

To receive gaming coupons you must be a Shop Your Way Reward member. It's free and only takes a couple of minutes to sign up in store.

May 22nd through the 28th: (Light week, believe me, I need it!)

:360::ps3: Enslaved $14.99 (Reg. $19.99)
xbox360.gif
ps3.gif
Splatterhouse $19.99 (Reg. $39.99)
:360::ps3: Dirt 3 $15 Gaming Coupon
:pc: Civilization 5 $29.99 (Reg. $49.99) Not available in all stores, recommend calling ahead.

Kmart Weekly Ad: (Circulars not effective in all stores, NYC and Offshore in particular - Savings coupon offers effective everywhere)

May 22nd through the 28th:

:360: Xbox 360 4GB Kinect Bundle $60 Gaming Coupon ($299.99)
:360: Kinect Sensor $25 Gaming Coupon ($149.99)
:360: Halo Reach $39.99 ($59.99)

Coming Soon:

To receive gaming coupons you must be a Shop Your Way Reward member. It's free and only takes a couple of minutes to sign up in store.

:360::ps3: 5-31 Hunted Demon Forge $15 Gaming Coupon

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are so many people surprised by the Portal deal? Josh told everyone to wait 2 weeks when he first announced the $120/$60 deal.

I thought the spend-$120-get-$60 in coupons was a sweet deal, especially if you tacked on the points cards. I don't think anyone got ripped off just because they'll have Portal 2 for $35 next week.

[quote name='dino88']Why are so many people surprised by the Portal deal? Josh told everyone to wait 2 weeks when he first announced the $120/$60 deal.[/QUOTE]

I'm not surprised by it, although I could see how people would be. It's gotten increasingly difficult to find out information on the sales unless you read through dozens of pages of this thread (which is 99% dumb questions about the sales...).

It's just a trend I don't understand. Used to be able to easily look at the OP and assess the coming deals. I would know what I would be able to spend my coupons on as the deals for the period it was valid were posted. I could also see if there was going to be a promotion in the future that I might be willing to wait for.

Now I'm just expected to buy the game (and often not even that... lately it's a lot more crap i have to buy) and hope that the game doesn't get cheaper immediately (as appears to be the trend) and also that there is a promotion that I will want before my coupons expire.

I'm not saying that either deal was bad or that they don't need to exist, just that I miss the transparency and ease of use that used to exist.

[quote name='fujimitsu']I'm not surprised by it, although I could see how people would be. It's gotten increasingly difficult to find out information on the sales unless you read through dozens of pages of this thread (which is 99% dumb questions about the sales...).

It's just a trend I don't understand. Used to be able to easily look at the OP and assess the coming deals. I would know what I would be able to spend my coupons on as the deals for the period it was valid were posted. I could also see if there was going to be a promotion in the future that I might be willing to wait for.

Now I'm just expected to buy the game (and often not even that... lately it's a lot more crap i have to buy) and hope that the game doesn't get cheaper immediately (as appears to be the trend) and also that there is a promotion that I will want before my coupons expire.

I'm not saying that either deal was bad or that they don't need to exist, just that I miss the transparency and ease of use that used to exist.[/QUOTE]

Can't disagree with that. The OP is longer than the Bible, yet the information we really want (the deals) isn't as easily available any more. I think the information is out there, but you have to search Facebook, the Kmart blog, or Twitter to find it all.

I agree it would be nice to have the OP updated more with current and upcoming deals. It makes the thread more lively when people can look and see and then post about whats coming up.

Anyway here's what I've gathered so far thats already been posted plus I threw in the Lego Pirates deal which I have completely made up but seemed logical enough that I don't care that it might be wrong and confuse people.

May 1st - 7th
Portal 2 $34.99
Motorstorm Apocalypse - $15 gaming coupon

May 8th - 14th
Brink - $20 gaming coupon
Lego Pirates Of The Caribbean - $15 gaming coupon?????

May 15th - 21st
LA Noire - $20 gaming coupon + offer to be revealed

June 5th - 11th
PS3 console offer to be revealed
Infamous 2 offer

So let me get this right? People are whining that they got a great deal on release day, be thankful that Kmart is being as badass as it is with competitive pricing. Not only are they providing great deals but they are helping drive down the price at other retailers. It's not like the deal you got on release week was terrible and Josh stated as well as I and others in this thread that we were going to wait and see what the portal deal josh promised was.

Point being we all know the game by know, you roll the die on whether you're getting the best deal or whether waiting out better deals is worth it. Why get all butt hurt about it now?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Dropping Portal 2 to $35 two weeks after release? Is there any price protection available? I got in on the Portal 2/MK deal, but had I known that not even two weeks later the price was going to $35, I would have waited and bought them both outright. What BS.[/QUOTE]

Josh did tell us before release that it would have an exceptional sale price two weeks later. Call it BS if you want, but you had your warning.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']So let me get this right? People are whining that they got a great deal on release day, be thankful that Kmart is being as badass as it is with competitive pricing. Not only are they providing great deals but they are helping drive down the price at other retailers. It's not like the deal you got on release week was terrible and Josh stated as well as I and others in this thread that we were going to wait and see what the portal deal josh promised was.

Point being we all know the game by know, you roll the die on whether you're getting the best deal or whether waiting out better deals is worth it. Why get all butt hurt about it now?[/QUOTE]
Agree on that. It should be no surprise that games drop to $40 quite often within a month of release. It especially shouldnt be surprising with a game like Portal which was $55 + a $20 credit before it ever released.

So sure it sucks in a way but you can get the game day one with good deals or you can wait a month and maybe get a slightly better deal. I'd rather just get them day one regardless of future deals since I want them now as opposed to later, and I know I'll be using the coupons on upcoming games anyway.

Hey did you know that in a year Portal 2 will likely be available for $20 or less?! Better just wait and save yourself $15 :roll:

[quote name='dino88']Can't disagree with that. The OP is longer than the Bible, yet the information we really want (the deals) isn't as easily available any more. I think the information is out there, but you have to search Facebook, the Kmart blog, or Twitter to find it all.[/QUOTE]
To be honest, I respectfully disagree, I only removed the coming soon after march since the only offer coming up was the 120/60 special and it was already listed. It was not intended to be a permanent cut. I could not announce the Portal deal at EAs request and I need to respect that. I hinted at it though multiple times.

I'll update the coming soon this week. I have been posting the sales themselves in the same manner as I always have.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Dropping Portal 2 to $35 two weeks after release? Is there any price protection available? I got in on the Portal 2/MK deal, but had I known that not even two weeks later the price was going to $35, I would have waited and bought them both outright. What BS.[/QUOTE]
Kmart has a seven day policy on price protection, unfortunately this is outside of that window.

5/1 is the official date the MAP on Portal 2 is lifted and the first available discount date, I took that opportunity to be come up with a killer deal. At end of the day though, the launch day promotion had more value potentially anyway.

[quote name='fujimitsu']

ist.[/QUOTE]

You should never buy games anywhere then.

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']To be honest, I respectfully disagree, I only removed the coming soon after march since the only offer coming up was the 120/60 special and it was already listed. It was not intended to be a permanent cut. I could not announce the Portal deal at EAs request and I need to respect that. I hinted at it though multiple times.

I'll update the coming soon this week. I have been posting the sales themselves in the same manner as I always have.[/QUOTE]
Can you say what the price will be for the PC version?

[quote name='SHC Stock Boy']Just curious, does TRU have it on sale?[/QUOTE]

hey stock boy, what's the best way to get a hold of you pm or email?

I've done both and haven't heard anything back from you yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='aznhero913']hey stock boy, what's the best way to get a hold of you pm or email?

I've done both and have heard anything back from you yet.[/QUOTE]
I'll get him to respond :)

Whats the old adage....You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time. Keep up the good work Josh !!!

[quote name='DPsycho']Josh did tell us before release that it would have an exceptional sale price two weeks later. Call it BS if you want, but you had your warning.[/QUOTE]

Oh please. Not everyone follows the hundreds of pages in this thread.

I stayed away from Kmart after being burned on the coupons before and jumped in this past time at what I thought was a good deal. It's hardly a deal to find that less than two weeks later you could get the exact same games for $35 cheaper, coupons or not. You can bet that between this, and the 7 day price protection that I will not be shopping there anymore after I use up these coupons however.

[quote name='dutch72']Whats the old adage....You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time. Keep up the good work Josh !!![/QUOTE]

I believe it's been updated to: people suck.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I stayed away from Kmart after being burned on the coupons before and jumped in this past time at what I thought was a good deal. It's hardly a deal to find that less than two weeks later you could get the exact same games for $35 cheaper, coupons or not. You can bet that between this, and the 7 day price protection that I will not be shopping there anymore after I use up these coupons however.[/QUOTE]

Nah, you're right. Having great promotions on games as soon as the developer-agreed timeframe has passed is a terrible burden to deal with. You are absolutely better off avoiding KMart altogether so you don't have to worry about deals that beat the competitors'.

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']5/1 is the official date the MAP on Portal 2 is lifted and the first available discount date, I took that opportunity to be come up with a killer deal. At end of the day though, the launch day promotion had more value potentially anyway.[/QUOTE]

Lucky for me I waited (because my store didn't have it) for Portal 2. So some people are crying because Kmart puts a game on sale after the release week??? What if they stuck to the $59.99 price for a while then people would be posting "Hey Josh, when are you going to have a sale on Portal 2, Amazon, Best Buy, Toy R Us, etc. has it for $....".

It's fairly simple, the publisher pushes out their game with certain incentives such as preorder bonuses or other pricing strategies along with usually a flood of marketing. Then, after the initial release they follow-up with other offers to keep the momentum going, especially in this economy.

Are you one of the people that got the $20 PSN card or 1600 MS Points card free as part of the deal? If so, I'm sure that was okay. You do realize if you factor value of the coupons, you paid $30 for Portal 2 when you bought it? I know you have to use the coupons to buy another game or accessory but it was still a good deal (great if you got the 25000 SYWR bonus points for spending over $150). I'm not a Josh worshipper as others have been accused of, but I do appreciate the effort he has shown and some of the negative posts have really been off the mark.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Oh please. Not everyone follows the hundreds of pages in this thread.

I stayed away from Kmart after being burned on the coupons before and jumped in this past time at what I thought was a good deal. It's hardly a deal to find that less than two weeks later you could get the exact same games for $35 cheaper, coupons or not. You can bet that between this, and the 7 day price protection that I will not be shopping there anymore after I use up these coupons however.[/QUOTE]

Not sure how this is anyone's fault but yours.

Game prices inevitably drop over time, that is a trend we know. If you were making game purchases based on discounts from retail prices, savings is the cost of time.

Are people really crying that their sale price isn't as good as the one they didn't know about when they bought their game? The same sale that Josh was not allowed to tell us about but still gave some pretty strong hints about anyways?
Jesus. Some people really are incredibly greedy and selfish on this site. It's sad.

F the haters, Josh. Keep doing what you do best.
I definitely plan to buy Portal 2 next week.

Yes, we should all be so angry that Josh would offer the best deal for Portal 2 at launch. And then he's got the nerve, when all these other retailers are having sales on Portal 2, to actually beat their deals. What a jerk. How dare he always offer us Cheap Ass Gamers the best deals. I think he's just tricking us into saving money week after week. ;)

Stuff like this Portal business is part of why I bowed out of the Kmart Video Game game a few months ago. Not a complaint really, but these deals are pretty hardcore in the availability/convenience/coupon/effort department. I'll start up again around xmas maybe, but until then I'll continue to follow the thread "for entertainment purposes only." I ain't made o' money. But man, you sure can get people riled up over missing out on 5 (hypothetical) dollars.

I don't see how anyone who took advantage of the buy $120 get $60 in coupons deal is complaining. Especially if Portal 2 and MK were bought together since the XBL/PSN card ended up being free. There's also the fact that you will have had the game for 2 weeks longer than those that waited will.

[quote name='confoosious']You should never buy games anywhere then.[/QUOTE]

My point was that I didn't used to have this problem with kmartgamer. Deals for the next few weeks were posted so I didn't ever get stuck with a coupon that I didn't have a plan for. I'm perfectly willing to ride the coupon train as long as I know where it's going...

I realize that this is a luxury not offered by other retailers, but it's basically the only reason I've bought many of the items I have from kmart. Without knowing what's in the pipeline I'm more likely to just take a few bucks less in non-expiring amazon credit so that I don't let a coupon expire or end up having to waste it on something I didn't want.

I realize that this is a lot to ask, and I wouldn't be asking for it if it hadn't previously existed. If it's difficult to do because of publisher restrictions or fear of price matches, fine, I just wanted to point out that it's going to cause many people to stop day1 buying.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']might have to pick up Portal 2 and maybe Crysis 2 this week and use coupons... then next week get Portal 2 adjusted.[/QUOTE]

Do it! Portal is great as expected, but crysis 2 was a pleasant surprise for me. I honestly sort of regretted buying crysis 2 on the drive home... but after playing i'm liking it quite well.

[quote name='JoeCamNet']Are people really crying that their sale price isn't as good as the one they didn't know about when they bought their game? The same sale that Josh was not allowed to tell us about but still gave some pretty strong hints about anyways?
Jesus. Some people really are incredibly greedy and selfish on this site. It's sad.

F the haters, Josh. Keep doing what you do best.
I definitely plan to buy Portal 2 next week.[/QUOTE]
i have to agree with you. and hope we can put are tiff in the past

[quote name='Corvin']Quick question Josh, SYWR points for the Crysis 2 (10k) deal never posted to my account. Neither the bonus or the actual points for buying the game. What do I need to do?

Thanks,
c[/QUOTE]

does someone know the active dates of this promotion offhand?

[quote name='chriscolbert']Having owned both systems for as long as they've been out, I can assure you that nothing is ever better on the PS3, only identical at best. The only benefit the PS3 version has is that it contains a PC version, so that could be a very big deal if you like that sorta thing.

But as far as the gameplay and graphics, they should be virtually identical on both systems.[/QUOTE]

There are a number of games that have been better on PS3. I won't get into listing them, because honestly, the differences almost never matter unless you have two tvs set up next to each other, but if you really need an example, Dragon Age: Origins. That you own both does not make you an expert unless you bought every game for both systems then had a top notch setup to compare/contrast side by side. But again, in all but the worst of ports (Orange Box, for example), the differences are always negligible to someone playing one version or the other.

Once again, YOU ultimately decide when and whether to purchase a game at all.

And frankly I still don't even understand since the $60 gaming coupon deal is a better value if you consider the $10 off points card that went along with it. I swear some people.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']Once again, YOU ultimately decide when and whether to purchase a game at all.

And frankly I still don't even understand since the $60 gaming coupon deal is a better value if you consider the $10 off points card that went along with it. I swear some people.[/QUOTE]

at the very least, it's not a WORSE deal. And you get it two weeks earlier. But people love to piss and moan.

Why are people surprised by the deals being better a week or two after? It's been like this for months now.

Furthermore, last week's deal wasn't a Portal 2 deal. If you chose to have Portal 2 as one of your games, that's your problem. I took part in last week's deal and will probably get Portal 2 next week for $20 as a result. Boo yah.

No problem about portal 2. I got $10 off points card and $30 in coupons for buying it, and got to play it on release. (especially important if you figure linking steam/PSN has been unavailable for a week and won't be available for some time yet again)

I think people complaining just looking for a reason to complain.

I'd rather spend $60, get a $10 discount on points, and $30 in coupons than spend $35 for the game 3 weeks later. Either way, it's a good deal.

[quote name='fujimitsu']My point was that I didn't used to have this problem with kmartgamer. Deals for the next few weeks were posted so I didn't ever get stuck with a coupon that I didn't have a plan for. I'm perfectly willing to ride the coupon train as long as I know where it's going... [/QUOTE]

Did you miss the part where he explicitly said that EA did not want him to reveal the Portal 2 deal until just now? The part where no retailers were supposed to discount it until the 1st? The part where even though he couldn't tell us about the sale, he strongly hinted about a great Portal 2 sale coming up?
I know this thread fills up with a lot of bullshit and stupid/repeated questions, but it was mentioned more than once that Portal 2 would be having an awesome sale coming up and to wait on it if you were concerned about the price.
Seriously, stop crying because a great sale price isn't as good as a potentially slightly better sale price, you entitled jackoff. Josh doesn't have to provide ANY sales for us but instead he gives us the best sales out there and when other stores come out with a sale of their own, Josh does his best to beat everybody else. You've got some balls to cry about this. If it weren't for Josh and his team and their efforts, you'd still be paying full price for every goddamned new game at launch and not get any promos or discounts or coupons.

Sorry Kmart's deals aren't convenient for you?
Sorry that certain publisher restrictions didn't allow you to decide between one great sale or another?
Or hey, should Josh just burn that bridge with EA other publishers and tell you every sale coming up for the next two months just to make sure YOU know what you're going to spend your money on, publisher relationships be damned!

I try not to get too involved with discussions here. I try to keep quiet, help when I can, chime in if I have something to say, but Jesus Christ some of you guys are real pricks about a few bucks. Go outside and take a walk or something.

To the people complaining, we don't get anything close to this up in Canada. Want a new release? It's gonna cost you 60-70 (Then another 7 in tax where I live). Want to wait 2 - 4 weeks? You can maybe save $10 if you shop around. Bestbuy will give us, SOMETIMES, $10 in points if we preorder a game. $20 coupons are unheard of, so I feel no pity for the crybabies who got portal 2 for $40 on release day instead of for 35 a couple weeks later (Or what have you..) Seriously, guys... seriously.

Agreed. The deals for last week were insane regardless of Portals price next week. At worst a few bucks were lost if you only bought Portal 2. If you got both coupons and a points card, you came out ahead for sure if you have things to spend it on.

I'm finally getting a 3ds myself. Has anyone seen upcoming deals on new release or launch 3ds games at Kmart?

[quote name='chriscolbert']Having owned both systems for as long as they've been out, I can assure you that nothing is ever better on the PS3, only identical at best. The only benefit the PS3 version has is that it contains a PC version, so that could be a very big deal if you like that sorta thing.

But as far as the gameplay and graphics, they should be virtually identical on both systems.[/QUOTE]

While I agree that 90% of multi-platform games usually end up being better on the :360:, there have certainly been a plentiful minority of games that were better on :ps3:. Just looking over my :ps3: game library, I see:

1. Alone In The Dark
  2. Assassin's Creed II
  3. Batman: Arkham Asylum
  4. Burnout Paradise
  5. Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow
  6. Dante's Inferno
  7. Dead To Rights: Retribution
  8. Def Jam Rapstar
  9. Enchanted Arms
  10. Eternal Sonata
  11. Final Fantasy XIII
  12. Majin And The Forsaken Kingdom
  13. Medal Of Honor
  14. Ninja Gaiden 2
  15. Portal 2
  16. Star Ocean
  17. Tiger Woods 12

...all of which I determined that the :ps3: version was superior for various reasons, whether it is because it runs better, has more content, has better features, or otherwise. I make sure to always buy whatever the best version of any game is; I have no favoritism towards any specific platform. In total, I own 263 :360: games and 81 :ps3: games. Oh, and 171 PC games on Steam, about 30 more not on Steam, and 55 :wii: games.

[quote name='dutch72']Whats the old adage....You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time. Keep up the good work Josh !!![/QUOTE]
Yep. I was happy to get Portal 2 last week and am not salty about the sale next week. It's awesome for the people that waited, because that is a pretty sweet deal they are getting.
hatersgonnahate.gif and all that.

Keep it up Josh. You are doing great with these deals so early in the year, can't wait to see what you have in store for us in the summer, when the big gaming drought occurs. Looking forward to the Lego:pOTC and LA Noire deals as well.

The complaining on this is a new level of pathetic.
No one broke your arm and made you buy last week. You went and did it, full knowing there was a deal coming.
But as confu just said, last weeks deal was amazing. Deal with it.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']
And frankly I still don't even understand since the $60 gaming coupon deal is a better value if you consider the $10 off points card that went along with it.[/QUOTE]

And hello, pretty massive bonus SYWR points if you waited until the weekend (or did a return/rebuy then).

[quote name='gamerdogbert']While I agree that 90% of multi-platform games usually end up being better on the :360:, there have certainly been a plentiful minority of games that were better on :ps3:. Just looking over my :ps3: game library, I see:

1. Alone In The Dark
  2. Assassin's Creed II
  3. Batman: Arkham Asylum
  4. Burnout Paradise
  5. Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow
  6. Dante's Inferno
  7. Dead To Rights: Retribution
  8. Def Jam Rapstar
  9. Enchanted Arms
  10. Eternal Sonata
  11. Final Fantasy XIII
  12. Majin And The Forsaken Kingdom
  13. Medal Of Honor
  14. Ninja Gaiden 2
  15. Portal 2
  16. Star Ocean
  17. Tiger Woods 12

...all of which I determined that the :ps3: version was superior for various reasons, whether it is because it runs better, has more content, has better features, or otherwise. I make sure to always buy whatever the best version of any game is; I have no favoritism towards any specific platform. In total, I own 263 :360: games and 81 :ps3: games. Oh, and 171 PC games on Steam, about 30 more not on Steam, and 55 :wii: games.[/QUOTE]

I admit I was a bit hasty in my comment. I completely forgot about FFXIII as that is the only multi-platform game I've ever bought for the PS3. I know that sometimes there is exclusive content which can certainly be a selling point but I was thinking more strictly along the lines of performance and gameplay. I hadn't heard anything about the other games you mentioned (exclusive content notwithstanding) being technically superior so I will definitely look into them.

[quote name='chriscolbert']I admit I was a bit hasty in my comment. I completely forgot about FFXIII as that is the only multi-platform game I've ever bought for the PS3. I know that sometimes there is exclusive content which can certainly be a selling point but I was thinking more strictly along the lines of performance and gameplay. I hadn't heard anything about the other games you mentioned (exclusive content notwithstanding) being technically superior so I will definitely look into them.[/QUOTE]

I think you forgot and left out the orange box and fallout 3 :)

Any chances on another 3DS hardware deal? I still don't have one, but if there were a great deal between now and Zelda...

[quote name='gamerdogbert']

[Lots of text removed]
...all of which I determined that the :ps3: version was superior for various reasons, whether it is because it runs better, has more content, has better features, or otherwise. I make sure to always buy whatever the best version of any game is; I have no favoritism towards any specific platform. In total, I own 263 :360: games and 81 :ps3: games. Oh, and 171 PC games on Steam, about 30 more not on Steam, and 55 :wii: games.[/QUOTE]

I am assuming you are like me and your Wii collection is just the 1st party titles (Metroid, Mario, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back