Left 4 Dead - Gen. Discussion & Info

OMG I BEAT EXPERT :O!!! Then again, there was no witch, no tank, and only like one boomer. My favorite move is whenever I see a zombie woman running toward me and I shoot her feet and she does a faceplant. lol dont trip

[quote name='Chronotrigga']OMG I BEAT EXPERT :O!!! Then again, there was no witch, no tank, and only like one boomer. My favorite move is whenever I see a zombie woman running toward me and I shoot her feet and she does a faceplant. lol dont trip[/quote

ya what a sense of accomplishment it is to get through on expert.. And just realize this is only 2 stages for the game.. The game is gonna rock, obviously multiplayer is the way to go.. After playing with a group I can't imagine playing the whole game by myself.

[quote name='Malik112099']If you pre-order from Gamestop they will take $5 off the game[/quote]

GameCrazy's doing the same thing, but it's 10% off of it, which equates to $6, in addition to your $5, so it'll be $48.99. Boo-yah, a whole dollar savings. lol

[quote name='gareman']this game is amazing........

I am sure there is no lame ass "resident evil" like story where its about what is going on. I love how its all about surviving. WOW
[/quote]

There is apparently no story at all. They say an outbreak happened a few weeks ago in the intro, that's about it. The plot (or what subtly passes for plot) is gained through the scrawlings on the safehouse walls. It sets the tone and really makes you feel like you are the last four dumbasses that decided to hang around after everyone else got the fuck outta town. I'm still hoping there's dialogue between the characters, backstories and whatnot, during safehouse re-arming periods but I fear there is not.

Apparently the way to defeat a Tank on the hardest level is just to run away, thought the guy I was playing with was bullshitting but it worked. Run away and the tank just dies after a while.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']The demo is getting wide release (ie: no code required, just download it) on November 11th. [/QUOTE]

I woke this morning exited to download it, but i searched the live marketplace just to find nothing.:bomb:

I just spent 10 minutes looking for the demo thinking NXE was messed up until I figured that the demo isn't out yet. This is balls considering I uninstalled the pc demo in anticipation of the 360 demo

[quote name='benjamouth']I've only seen the video on Kotaku but it left me feeling a bit, under whelmed.

I'll form a better opinion after trying the demo.[/QUOTE]
I thought the same thing when I watched a couple videos but once I played the demo I was sold. I can see how the game may wear a bit thin after a few solid sessions though.

I hope they expand on this as a series. I would love a scenerio akin to "From Dusk till Dawn", as long as I can play as Sex Machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still contemplating whether to get this for the 360 or PC. The 360 I know will be solid, but with no custom maps (maybe), it might just get repetitive after like 2 weeks. On the PC version though, I can probably find it a lot cheaper, and there are user-created custom maps. I don't want to end up dishing like $53 only to return it a few weeks later when I end up playing the same maps over and over.

Then again, both the 360 and PC offer a different experience. So, who knows..

[quote name='crunchb3rry']There is apparently no story at all. They say an outbreak happened a few weeks ago in the intro, that's about it. The plot (or what subtly passes for plot) is gained through the scrawlings on the safehouse walls. It sets the tone and really makes you feel like you are the last four dumbasses that decided to hang around after everyone else got the fuck outta town. I'm still hoping there's dialogue between the characters, backstories and whatnot, during safehouse re-arming periods but I fear there is not.[/quote]

The lack of dialogue and story is what made the demo feel like an arcade game. For my interest's sake, I hope there's a story. Otherwise, I feel Left 4 Dead may wind up a quickly tiring experience.

Just downloaded the demo, but haven't played it yet. Waiting for some friends to get on and download it to play. Hurry up, bitches! Lol.

This game looks so fun. I can't wait to play it!

downloading NOW!! I have a feeling this game will be one of the long lasting greats like Counterstrike which after like 10+ years is still awesome. PC version that is, because of all the modders and what they will be able to do. 360 version its just another shooter imo.

[quote name='Chase']The lack of dialogue and story is what made the demo feel like an arcade game. For my interest's sake, I hope there's a story. Otherwise, I feel Left 4 Dead may wind up a quickly tiring experience.[/quote]

Yes, I think the game would be great if the survivors talked to eachother when the action was on break, like in the safehouses, sharing stories of how they got there or speculating on various things like how it all started. Or if you had CB radios on desks in the safehouses with news reports on a loop, a la the Romero movies where you have updates on what the government is doing to solve the problem. But, sadly, it seems the game was designed solely for a storyless multiplayer and singleplayer is just modified offline multiplayer. Missed opportunity that could have boosted the game even higher than it already is on the radar.

I wouldn't be too quick to judge. Portal had a great story/ending/twist that was only revealed cryptically throughout the game. Near the end, you got your reveal and "bam", the story became awesome (or, at least, existent).

And I'm not referring to post-Test 19 (19, right?). I'm talking about post-post-Test19. Final boss fight, and all that. :)

Well, I've been anxiously waiting for this game ever since it was announced, and it pains me to say that I won't be able to play it.

The internet connection at my school is absolutely atrocious. We have the shittiest bandwidth I've ever had to work with, and one of the strictest firewalls I've ever seen. This makes gaming nearly impossible. Literally, the only time I can manage just an "ok" connection is at around 2am after Friday and Saturday nights when the majority of the campus is too drunk to be using the internet. The only time I'd be able to play is when I'm home over the summer or for holidays, so I think I'm just going to pass on it it save the money. Maybe I'll pick it up when it's $20 bucks in a year or two.

I wanted this game so unbelievably bad too. fuck.

Well zombie movies have always been about human nature and how we're the real threat. If the game is nothing, but run and shoot and survive then yeah, probably storyline will be closer to Contra then anything else (get from point A to point B and try not to die). Well unless the game (like every other zombie movie) half way through or so you deal with power hungry humans.

I like the little messages that other survivors have left on the walls of safehouses. It reminds me a lot of Portal. I still can't decide whether to get it for 360 or PC.

I'm getting it for 360, but I say PC. Better fan support after you're done with the game and Valve games always better in general on PC.

[quote name='Nobi-Wan']How much is the 360 version? The one on Steam is $45.[/QUOTE]

It retails for $60. Amazon has it for $48.99 ($53.99-$5 preorder special). I'm going to go out on a limb and say Toys R Us might have a free gift card with purchase when it comes out. They had one for Gears of War 2 and Call of Duty:WaW.

Circuit City will have a $10 GC offer on the 360 version and the PC version for $40.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']played the demo and it was pretty fun, definitely would be great over live but i dont see that much replay after you beat it[/QUOTE]

The zombies randomly spawn so I think that adds some replay value. You never know what you are going to get.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']The zombies randomly spawn so I think that adds some replay value. You never know what you are going to get.[/quote]

There is also a versus mode which should be very fun.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']played the demo and it was pretty fun, definitely would be great over live but i dont see that much replay after you beat it[/quote]

In the full version you'll get to play as zombies as well. It's not all campaigns.

Demo was extremely fun. I'm now unsure of buying this on PC or 360 but I'll play the PC demo tomorrow to get a better hold of how my rig can handle it (well I'm assuming since I could run source on very high settings) but at the same time it runs pretty damn fine on the 360, and the 360 is obviously going to have the Live community and acheesements which is a shame you would figure this would be PC live enabled even if It's owned by Valve... just for the acheesements.

Decisions, Decisions.

I tried the 1 player mode and highly enjoyed that. Can't wait to play it online with my friends. My one friend is obsessed with zombies. I love how they run like on 28 days later too.

[quote name='bisquit']I tried the 1 player mode and highly enjoyed that. Can't wait to play it online with my friends. My one friend is obsessed with zombies. I love how they run like on 28 days later too.[/quote]

Shit, they run FASTER than in 28 Days Later. It's like a zombie army of Usain Bolt clones.

If you have a PC capable of running the game, BUY THE PC VERSION. My box was top of the line 4 years ago and it runs on high settings fairly well.

I was really pumped for this game but after playing the demo...

Meh is the best word I can think of. It was fun sure, but it seemed pretty dull as it went on. You go into a room, kill all the Zombies, maybe collect ammo, go into the next room, kill all the Zombies. Repeat. Occasionally kill a Hunter or the fat zombie that explodes. There really wasn't anything tactical outside of helping your teammate who sometimes may have gotten caught by a Hunter or a Licker. I found myself pretty much strafing and shooting at the massive hordes of Zombies. I expect a higher level of teamwork, but really it seemed like anyone could just run n' gun with their other 3 teammates and you'd all be OK.

Maybe it's because when I played, I was playing with randoms where there was close to zero mic chatter I dunno.

Gotta say though, kinda let down. Might have to change my pre-order money to something else...

Tried the demo last night and I wasn't really impressed. It does strike me that the demo might not be doing it justice but it seemed like a one trick pony.

It was literally just run about and shoot zombies, and I never felt like I was in any real danger, even when I had a bunch of them crowded around me. So once the initial novelty of getting mobbed by Zombies had worn off it became a bit boring.

Might be better in co-op ut as of now my Amazon pre-order will be getting cancelled.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Shit, they run FASTER than in 28 Days Later. It's like a zombie army of Usain Bolt clones.[/QUOTE]

lol.
I didn't really mean speed-wise. the animation.

I'm gonna say no, if it wasn't a default setting then I didn't.

I'm not giving up on the game just yet, I'll try it in co-op tonight. I think this might just be a bad demo. I've been fooled by bad demos before on FEAR and Forza 2.

I'll be on tonight if you want to team up for some extreme. It would be better if we could get a couple of other CAG's or at least adults. You have to stay together on extreme if you want a chance of surviving.

Tried the demo last night. It's pretty damn cool. At one point, we got a message that one of us had "awoken the Witch". "Is that bad?" I asked. It turns out that yes, it is bad. Very very bad.

bread's done
Back