Little Big Planet - Gen. Discussion & Info

I have not been impressed by anything that Sony has done with the PS3...until now. Little Big Planet looks simply amazing. The only issue I see is that this game is going to suck for the first few months until people get up to speed and start creating really nice levels. The success or failure of this game is going to totally rely on the gamer community. We'll see how that works.

It's not enough to make me want to get a PS3, but it will be something to look forward to when I do eventually get one.

This is great news. Sony has been shitting the bed since before launch. Its fantastic to see them bringing out some cool things. Showing Ratchet, Home and now this. Definatly will getting a PS3 once some of these things actually start to become available.

Like many of the other CAGs who posted, I think this is the first app for the PS3 that I'd be interested in playing. Heck, it made me come to post in the PS3 forums for the first time, just from watching the GDC video. LittleBigPlanet might be the ace up Sony's sleeve for the coming year, I know it's got me at least thinking I'd pick up a PS3 (something I hadn't seriously thought yet).

This games graphics are amazing.
The ability to create our own levels and submit them for the world to play and rate/review is a great way to have a never ending gaming experience.

And i think its pretty obvious that you will not have the ability to change others peoples levels (add in a block to someone elses level that ur playing to get past a certain area ur stuck in)

[quote name='Jek Porkins']Like many of the other CAGs who posted, I think this is the first app for the PS3 that I'd be interested in playing. Heck, it made me come to post in the PS3 forums for the first time, just from watching the GDC video. LittleBigPlanet might be the ace up Sony's sleeve for the coming year, I know it's got me at least thinking I'd pick up a PS3 (something I hadn't seriously thought yet).[/quote]

Agreed. Little Big Planet and Home have, collectively, all-but-confirmed my decision to make a PS3 my 2nd console sometime before '08. Very exciting apps, no doubt about it.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']This games graphics are amazing.
The ability to create our own levels and submit them for the world to play and rate/review is a great way to have a never ending gaming experience.[/QUOTE]

Yea, this will be great. I guess I missed the sharing levels part initially, but I saw the 18 minute video and am really impressed with this game. If this game catches on, we'll have tons of levels to choose from.

20070309.jpg

[quote name='Scorch']I will be getting a PS3 just for this game.[/QUOTE]
Damn, Scorch, you're one of the last people that I'd think would make such a stupid, obviously-not-true-and-you-know-it statement. If you do drop the $500+, you know that you'd buy more than one game for it.

PS, I'm pretty sure that that's a coincidence on display in that comic, not irony.

[quote name='panasonic']this world is to big for those little[/QUOTE]
the complete sentense is to much for you type

Also, Apossum, did you write these blurbs yourself?

--4 players
--3D graphics on a 2D plane
--Brilliant camera pulls out when the players are spread apart
--run around and do stuff
--little puzzles you have to figure out with everyone (ala 4 Swords)
--It's like Pikmin, 4 Swords, Loco Roco, and any 2D platformer all in one.

I'm not seeing the Pikmin in here. And the camera isn't that brilliant. That sort of movement is totally standard for this type of game. I mean, look at Smash Bros, yo.

yeah, I wrote them.

I'm not seeing the Pikmin in here. And the camera isn't that brilliant. That sort of movement is totally standard for this type of game. I mean, look at Smash Bros, yo.

look at the quirky characters and how they cooperate, that's totally pikmin. This game shares the "huge world, small characters who band together to do stuff" theme with pikmin.

The camera isn't the same thing as Smash Bros. If you leave the screen in smash bros, the camera stays focused on the majority of the characters, while the one guy who trails off gets an icon indicating where he is.

In the videos for this game, it looks like the camera will zoom out as much as it can to keep everyone in there, but it looks like there are some limits to that. I think that's pretty cool and leaves the game open for a lot of possibilities. Instead of worrying about one limited area on the screen at a time, people can create some potentially huge puzzles since the camera can pan out super far. that's pretty brilliant, imo.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']the complete sentense is to much for you type

Also, Apossum, did you write these blurbs yourself?

I'm not seeing the Pikmin in here. And the camera isn't that brilliant. That sort of movement is totally standard for this type of game. I mean, look at Smash Bros, yo.[/quote]
you can not even spell sentence right, i wasn't going for a real intelligent post just something i thought was funny. :censored:

[quote name='panasonic']you can not even spell sentence right, i wasn't going for a real intelligent post just something i thought was funny. :censored:[/QUOTE]
Wow, Sherlock! Nice observation! Cause, I mean, there's NO WAY that I was making fun of your tenuous grasp on the English language. No way I intentionally matched your spelling of "to" when you meant to say "too!" I mean, that would just be rediculous!

You fail, times two.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Damn, Scorch, you're one of the last people that I'd think would make such a stupid, obviously-not-true-and-you-know-it statement. If you do drop the $500+, you know that you'd buy more than one game for it.

PS, I'm pretty sure that that's a coincidence on display in that comic, not irony.[/quote]

Damn, I'm not surprised to see someone on this board who takes a simple statement and blows-it-out-of-proportion-just-to-have-something-to-say. Either way, I'm with Scorch. This is a system buying game for me. Sure I'll buy other games, but I probably wouldn't buy the system in the first place without LBP.

[quote name='dallow']CoffeeEdge be broke ya'll![/quote]

I was just playing def jam so this might affect why i thought that was so funny :D

[quote name='CoffeeEdge'] I mean, that would just be rediculous!
[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you spelled ridiculous that way on purpose, too? :roll:

[quote name='Kayden']
20070309.jpg
[/quote]

Bahaha!

Ive been waiting for this day... *sigh of relief*

Constantly people yelling at me for my console choice. But I trusted Sony and knew they were gonna pull out the stops and make this console a winner again.

Now everyone seems to be retracting their statements.

Just a few more months and I can shove it in everyones face...

It is amazing how much of a 180 Sony has done lately just by unveiling Home and LBP. Granted these are two cool things, but there is a still a huge line up of titles scheduled for this summer and fall. If this GDC conference is turning people's heads, then Heavenly Sword, Lair, Warhawk, MGS4, DMC4, NG: Sigma, Killzone should definitely attract more attention.

At this point though, after watching the LBP trailer numerous times, that game definitely has me excited for this fall. It caught me extremely by surprise, but, if it has a good online community, this game could be amazing. By online community, I mean plenty of creative people who will share their levels with everyone.

I want people to get really creative and start making racing games, arena fighters, capture the flag games, using LBP.

a 180 was coming in one form or another...if not with home and LBP, then with exclusives and Japanese games.

but yeah, now that Penny Arcade says it's okay to buy a PS3, it's officially okay for everyone who hates the PS3 to buy one :lol: :roll: Hey, if it kills the straw-grasping trolls on this forum (you know who you are), then I'm all for it.

[quote name='Apossum']a 180 was coming in one form or another...if not with home and LBP, then with exclusives and Japanese games.

but yeah, now that Penny Arcade says it's okay to buy a PS3, it's officially okay for everyone who hates the PS3 to buy one :lol: :roll: Hey, if it kills the straw-grasping trolls on this forum (you know who you are), then I'm all for it.[/quote]

Hells yea man.

Wait... Listen... I think it killed CoffeeEdge.

Yay! Another one Down!

[quote name='Apossum']a 180 was coming in one form or another...if not with home and LBP, then with exclusives and Japanese games.

but yeah, now that Penny Arcade says it's okay to buy a PS3, it's officially okay for everyone who hates the PS3 to buy one :lol: :roll: Hey, if it kills the straw-grasping trolls on this forum (you know who you are), then I'm all for it.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I figured the 180 was inevitable. I really think people were being way to premature with the PS3 bashing. If we judged all consoles by how they looked 4 months out of the gate, then I can't think of many consoles that would actually deliver.

[quote name='dpatel']Yea, I figured the 180 was inevitable. I really think people were being way to premature with the PS3 bashing. If we judged all consoles by how they looked 4 months out of the gate, then I can't think of many consoles that would actually deliver.[/quote]See, the PS3 still has that price hurdle to get over first. It's great that people like me who never considered a PS3 are now drooling over Little Big Planet, but as much as I want to play it, they're not going to get $500+ out of me that easily.

I'm a strange case though, given that I have little interest in any of the big name exclusives that are likely (any you listed a few posts up, in fact), at least to the point where they become system sellers. Chances are if they lock up the JRPG market as well as they did last gen (the alternative being that some find their way over to the Wii), I'll probably end up biting, assuming the software emulated backwards compatibility is going to let me play the PS2 RPGs I missed.

Yea, the price is a lot to ask, and even with 'LBP' and Home, I still don't think it has justified it. I own one and am really happy with it, but I can see why people are reluctant to put down the cash.

I really like how they are pushing games like fl0w and LBP. I was afraid that this gen would primarily focus on sequels and amazing graphics.

If you are looking for a blu-ray + gaming machine, the PS3 is a no brainer.

Games still have a ways to go. I bought one mainly for games knowing that its value would prove itself a couple of years down the road.

[quote name='NamPaehc']The price is only hard to justify to people who only want the PS3 to play games.[/quote]

You say that as if they're crazy to feel that way.

[quote name='Vegan']You say that as if they're crazy to feel that way.[/quote]

Huh? What I said is true, and wasn't worded as an insult in anyway.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Huh? What I said is true, and wasn't worded as an insult in anyway.[/quote]

Okay, I just thought you were being snooty about it. I personally don't follow the It's-a-bargain-if-you-think-about-it Creed.

Wow.. my interest in the PS3 is growing. Assuming they fix the scaling issue for all titles I might be picking up one in time for the 2008 holidays.

If this is a game of baseball, and I am the batter, Sony just pitched a strike. Now, one strike isn't much, but this is my first step towards justification of owning a PS3. No other game until this one has managed to do it for me. (BTW: If anyone really wants to recommend something, feel free to, but so far, I'm not impressed.)

Two more titles that look as amazing and bad ass as this one, and I'm going to start saving up.

As soon as doublefine unveils their next project (which is likely to be on a PS3), that will be Strike 2 for Sony. That one is guaranteed.

Lots of Good News for PS3:

Immersion case settled.
PSHouse.
Little Big Planet.
Warhawk still exists.
Singstar shown.
Upscaling is possible.

[quote name='sandrokstar']just as Slashdot said:
"this is the reason to buy a PlayStation 3"

damn, and i was hoping to wait it out for a few years[/QUOTE]

If you need a website to tell you when to buy something then don't buy it.

I spent two hours today watching and re-watching the LBP videos and reading up on it. I haven't been that compelled by a game in a long time, and like so many others, this is the first signal to me that says a PS3 might be a worthwhile purchase.

However, I've got to throw up the caution flag. I don't wanna be El Huapo on this one, but this is the exact kind of game that "mainstream" gamers fuggin' hate and the odds are good that it will only do modest business as a result.

I was at a BB a couple weeks ago and four frat boys were in the video game section. The one picked up a 360 controller and played about 30-seconds of Lego Star Wars II before declaring "THIS IS fuckIN' GAY!" and walking over to where his friends were playing the Guitar Hero II demo for the PS2.

Unless the LBP stuff we saw was a hidden joke level and the real heart of the game involves merciless, almost barbarically cruel, ripping slaughter that fills the screen with a sea of hi-def blood over a throbbing heavy metal-influenced soundtrack, it'll be lucky if it sells ~350k. Ref. Viva Pinata and Pikmin 2.

[quote name='Scobie']I spent two hours today watching and re-watching the LBP videos and reading up on it. I haven't been that compelled by a game in a long time, and like so many others, this is the first signal to me that says a PS3 might be a worthwhile purchase.

However, I've got to throw up the caution flag. I don't wanna be El Huapo on this one, but this is the exact kind of game that "mainstream" gamers fuggin' hate and the odds are good that it will only do modest business as a result.

I was at a BB a couple weeks ago and four frat boys were in the video game section. The one picked up a 360 controller and played about 30-seconds of Lego Star Wars II before declaring "THIS IS fuckIN' GAY!" and walking over to where his friends were playing the Guitar Hero II demo for the PS2.

Unless the LBP stuff we saw was a hidden joke level and the real heart of the game involves merciless, almost barbarically cruel, ripping slaughter that fills the screen with a sea of hi-def blood over a throbbing heavy metal-influenced soundtrack, it'll be lucky if it sells ~350k. Ref. Viva Pinata and Pikmin 2.[/QUOTE]

Like VP and Pikmin, if their respective company's would've pimped those games to the public instead not having a single ad out for them, they could've done well with the casual crowd. Sony should not make that mistake for what looks like one of the most brilliant games ever.

but if it is one of the most brilliant games ever, the gaming media could fill that gap :)

[quote name='Apossum']Like VP and Pikmin, if their respective company's would've pimped those games to the public instead not having a single ad out for them, they could've done well with the casual crowd. Sony should not make that mistake for what looks like one of the most brilliant games ever.

but if it is one of the most brilliant games ever, the gaming media could fill that gap :)[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure Sony 'pimping' it would be the solution. My perception of the 'casual' crowd is that many of them will turn this down because of the 'cutsy' look and the lack of too much 'action'.

It's a real shame, but I have a feeling this game will be overlooked by the majority.

[quote name='dpatel']I'm not so sure Sony 'pimping' it would be the solution. My perception of the 'casual' crowd is that many of them will turn this down because of the 'cutsy' look and the lack of too much 'action'.

It's a real shame, but I have a feeling this game will be overlooked by the majority.[/quote]

Which is also odd becuase this game reminds me so much of Mario, which is one of the most popular games ever. So I don't see how games like it aren't as successful..

Ya this game looked really cool when I saw it before...only thing I'm worried about is if it will actually play well and have good longetivity since it's so open ended...(which isn't always a good thing,...)

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Which is also odd becuase this game reminds me so much of Mario, which is one of the most popular games ever. So I don't see how games like it aren't as successful..[/QUOTE]

True. Mario is still no where near as big as it was back in the day, and it's popularity seems to be overshadowed more and more by the newer games that cater more to the casual crowd "GoW, Halo, GTA, etc". I also think the past success of Mario is sorta helping it out today. The series is still great, but I think, had it not had such a huge following in the past, it would not be selling as much as it is today. LBP is in that situation. It has no long-term fanbase. It will have to convince today's gamers that it is a fun game. However, looking at most previous successful games, that might be hard to do.

I'll be rooting for LBP all the way, but I don't think it will get the attention it deserves.

[quote name='dpatel']I also think the past success of Mario is sorta helping it out today. The series is still great, but I think, had it not had such a huge following in the past, it would not be selling as much as it is today. LBP is in that situation. It has no long-term fanbase. It will have to convince today's gamers that it is a fun game. However, looking at most previous successful games, that might be hard to do.[/QUOTE]

Well said. It seemed like *everyone* played SMB on the NES because it seemed like *everyone* had a NES. LBP doesn't have that luxury, and the "kid" audience ain't going to be able to sweet talk their parents into a PS3 just to play this game with a console+game pricepoint that's pushing a grand.

It's a damn shame, really, because creativity of the kind exhibited in LBP needs to be recognized and rewarded and supported.

[quote name='Scobie']Well said. It seemed like *everyone* played SMB on the NES because it seemed like *everyone* had a NES. LBP doesn't have that luxury, and the "kid" audience ain't going to be able to sweet talk their parents into a PS3 just to play this game with a console+game pricepoint that's pushing a grand.

It's a damn shame, really, because creativity of the kind exhibited in LBP needs to be recognized and rewarded and supported.[/QUOTE]

Yea. Back in the day, video games were seen as more 'kiddie' and were marketed as such. Which is why games like SMB took off. I believe the majority of the success Mario recieves today is a result of its past success. Don't get me wrong, Mario deserves the success it gets, but I feel that, had Mario started with Mario Sunshine on the cube, that game wouldn't have sold as much, and Galaxy wouldn't be getting as much hype.

I'll be buying LBP on release day. Normally, I'm a CAG at heart and wait for price drops, but games that, I feel, try to go away from the norm and actual go for 'fun' deserve full price. I may even buy both versions (PSN, and blu-ray) is I feel the game is that good. 1) To support these developers and show that gamers do still want these types of games, and 2) because I don't really like buying a game, and not have something tangible to show (hence the blu-ray version).

[quote name='Scobie']I spent two hours today watching and re-watching the LBP videos and reading up on it. I haven't been that compelled by a game in a long time, and like so many others, this is the first signal to me that says a PS3 might be a worthwhile purchase.

Unless the LBP stuff we saw was a hidden joke level and the real heart of the game involves merciless, almost barbarically cruel, ripping slaughter that fills the screen with a sea of hi-def blood over a throbbing heavy metal-influenced soundtrack, it'll be lucky if it sells ~350k. Ref. Viva Pinata and Pikmin 2.[/quote]

Im pretty sure Lego Star Wars 2 sold a butt load. And combine that with Lego Star Wars 1 sales, it was really good.

[quote name='dpatel']I'll be buying LBP on release day. Normally, I'm a CAG at heart and wait for price drops, but games that, I feel, try to go away from the norm and actual go for 'fun' deserve full price.[/QUOTE]

We're definitely of the same mind! Quality and creativity need to be supported and encouraged by the minority (gamers like us) who care, especially when it becomes obvious that the majority doesn't.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Im pretty sure Lego Star Wars 2 sold a butt load. And combine that with Lego Star Wars 1 sales, it was really good.[/QUOTE]

That totally misses the point, doesn't it? LSW has two blockbuster brands tagged to it and rode a wave across pretty much all available platforms. And that's great. It deserves its success. There's no valid comparison between a game built off of two brands that have rightly endured for decades and is widely available and an upstart game like Viva Pinata, Pikmin, or Little Big Planet that has no established branding and is exclusive to one console.

The reason I brought it up was to illustrate that there is a wide ocean of gamers who look at a fundamentally solid and uniquely entertaining game like LSW and dismiss it because it's "kiddy." It's that mentality that will lead to disappointing sales for LBP.

[quote name='Scobie']
That totally misses the point, doesn't it? LSW has two blockbuster brands tagged to it and rode a wave across pretty much all available platforms. And that's great. It deserves its success. There's no valid comparison between a game built off of two brands that have rightly endured for decades and is widely available and an upstart game like Viva Pinata, Pikmin, or Little Big Planet that has no established branding and is exclusive to one console.

The reason I brought it up was to illustrate that there is a wide ocean of gamers who look at a fundamentally solid and uniquely entertaining game like LSW and dismiss it because it's "kiddy." It's that mentality that will lead to disappointing sales for LBP.[/quote]

Ah ok, I thought you ment since it is kiddy its going to miss sales.

bread's done
Back