- LOCK - Format War - HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray - LOCK -

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='RedvsBlue']Ahh but it does make sense because you're saying people didn't want to rebuy their movies in a new format that's only usable on one product. That's the exact same thing that's going on with the PS3. If people didn't want to rebuy their movies or even buy new movies at a higher price for UMD, why would they want to with blu ray? In fact, given that most people don't even have high definition TVs yet, why would they spend the extra money when they're not even getting any kind of enhancement and are really just paying extra money for no reason at all.[/QUOTE]

But with UMD's you were paying more for an inferior product. With Blu-ray you actually get benefits for that premium.

[quote name='rodeojones903']But with UMD's you were paying more for an inferior product. With Blu-ray you actually get benefits for that premium.[/QUOTE]

Like I said though, not unless you have a high definition TV, otherwise its just a regular old DVD except for the few blu ray titles that support PiP commentary.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Like I said though, not unless you have a high definition TV, otherwise its just a regular old DVD except for the few blu ray titles that support PiP commentary.[/QUOTE]

But thats a given. I don't need to buy a new radiator for a Ferrari if I do not own the car to go with it. Nobody is buying Blu-rays if they do not own an HDTV.

[quote name='rodeojones903']But thats a given. I don't need to buy a new radiator for a Ferrari if I do not own the car to go with it. Nobody is buying Blu-rays if they do not own an HDTV.[/QUOTE]
You can't really say that with any more certainty than I can say that people are buying them not realizing that they need a high definition TV to enjoy them. The numbers simply don't exist to say which one is the case.

[quote name='rodeojones903']But thats a given. I don't need to buy a new radiator for a Ferrari if I do not own the car to go with it. Nobody is buying Blu-rays if they do not own an HDTV.[/QUOTE]

Not saying ALL Blu-Ray player sales are PS3's....

When I worked retail, you'd be surprised how many PS3's we sold to people who were hooked them up to SDTV's. In my section (video games) we always asked if they were hooking them up to HDTV's, so that we could advise they go out and buy component cables or an HDMI cable.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']The PSP has sold 4 times as many units as the PS3 and yet the UMD movie format is basically a complete failure. When the PSP launched UMDs were selling quite well however once more games started coming out sales fell off quickly. The same thing very well could end up happening with the PS3, we simply can't know for sure yet. You make it seem as if its a foregone conclusion that the PS3 will singlehandedly usher in the next era of movie formats but that remains to be seen.[/QUOTE]

This might be true, if the PS3 were the only thing pushing blu-ray.

This might be true if blu-ray offered no benefits over current DVDs.

This also might be true if Sony was the sole company driving Blu-ray, but they are not. It is a collaborative effort which includes Sony (much like DVD and CD).

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Like I said though, not unless you have a high definition TV, otherwise its just a regular old DVD except for the few blu ray titles that support PiP commentary.[/QUOTE]

We are still talking about BD vs HD, correct? If so, both suffer from this temporary problem.

[quote name='asianxcore']Not saying ALL Blu-Ray player sales are PS3's....

When I worked retail, you'd be surprised how many PS3's we sold to people who were hooked them up to SDTV's. In my section (video games) we always asked if they were hooking them up to HDTV's, so that we could advise they go out and buy component cables or an HDMI cable.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but those people are not going to buy Blu-ray movies. No one in their right mind with just an SDTV is going to pay close to double for a movie that looks the same because of their TV. Even if they do that number would be so small it doesn't even warrant a mention.

The person who is not going to shell out the money for an HDTV is not going to buy a Blu-ray movie over a DVD.

[quote name='dpatel']
We are still talking about BD vs HD, correct? If so, both suffer from this temporary problem.[/QUOTE]

Yes but what I specifically was refering to was the fact that many people bought a blu ray movie player (PS3) to hook up to their SDTV and didn't realize that they need an HDTV in order to actually get their money's worth out of the product.
[quote name='rodeojones903']Yes, but those people are not going to buy Blu-ray movies. No one in their right mind with just an SDTV is going to pay close to double for a movie that looks the same because of their TV. Even if they do that number would be so small it doesn't even warrant a mention.

The person who is not going to shell out the money for an HDTV is not going to buy a Blu-ray movie over a DVD.[/QUOTE]
The general public are idiots. I can assure you there are plenty of people out there who just assume that their blu ray movie will look better cause they paid more for it without even taking into account their TV setup. We know these things because we've looked up and read the information on HD-DVD and blu ray but there's many people out there who haven't and just assume that the blu ray disc will always look better regardless of what TV they have it playing on.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Ahh but it does make sense because you're saying people didn't want to rebuy their movies in a new format that's only usable on one product. That's the exact same thing that's going on with the PS3. If people didn't want to rebuy their movies or even buy new movies at a higher price for UMD, why would they want to with blu ray? In fact, given that most people don't even have high definition TVs yet, why would they spend the extra money when they're not even getting any kind of enhancement and are really just paying extra money for no reason at all.[/QUOTE]
But like stated above they are getting a better product not something that is the same just portable. They are getting better PQ and audio and your right if they have the right equipment. I do agree the general public is not yet fully informed on HD-DVD and Blu-ray though. But it is an advantage for Blu-Ray to have it built into PS3s. A lot of people will buy a PS3 for videogame prurposes and Blu-ray might be an after thought but since they have it built it then there is a good chance it will be put to use. Time will tell but it definitely is and advantage to have it built into a machine that you know should sell well.

No it doesn't make alot of sense.

See you don't have to rebuy your movies to play them on your PS3. BR is backwards compatible with DVD.

The downfall of UMD was that no one wanted to invest in a movie collection that could only be played on their PSP.

Also what I said was that BR beating HD-DVD was determined long ago when Sony said the PS3 would have BR. That doesn't mean that everyone adopts BR as the next DVD or that digital downloading doesn't overtake it before it becomes mainstream. That scenario doesn't have as good of odds at all and I wouldn't call it. I just mean that HD-DVD already lost.

BR still has a good chance of becoming the last disc format.

Shocked not a single person has posted this yet...Keep in mind it was translated for its Chinese text and is somewhat tough to understand.
HD DVD Player sold at Wal-Mart for possibly $299.99 starting sometime in the next quarter with the last one rolling off the line in December of next year.

With 2 million orders, it looks like Walmart has chosen an HD format.

In lucky Yan the branch factory is completed blue light HD the DVD cassette mechanism official birth

Reporter Zhang Yiming the/Taichung reported

Taiwan electronic technology industry knocks at the gate once again to the world! In the lucky Yan electron company the branch factory finishes at the same time which begins using, also the foreign publication researches and develops the manufacture by the people “blue light HD DVD” the cassette mechanism official birth. This director of company Deng Hongji indicated that after the fine resolution “blue light HD DVD” the cassette mechanism researches and develops successfully, this year immediately receives the American WALMART 2,000,000 order forms, expected the end of next year the total output value may arrive at the dollar 10,100,000,000.

In the lucky Yan electron company the branch factory is having been through repeatedly one year construction, yesterday morning held finishes the launching ceremony, first supervised party politics important people and so on Chair Qian Fu Mr. and Mrs. to attend this grand meeting. Chairman Deng Hongji in the new factory begins using in the ceremony, also outward publishes the new product “blue light HD DVD” the cassette mechanism, but this is also first fine resolution blue light HD DVD which researches and develops voluntarily by the people.

Deng Hongji releases the advantage multi-news to point out that at present this blue light HD the DVD cassette mechanism with the Japanese TDK cooperation, will be responsible by the mainland Great Wall to produce, therefore after the product is born obtains the American WALMART 2,000,000 order forms immediately, expected the end of this year, the output value may amount to 100,000,000 Yuan dollars, if will add on the next year to estimate the value again, the output value on looked that 300,000,000 Yuan dollars, will be equal to the dollar 10,100,000,000 Yuan. Also therefore the lucky Yan stock will distribute in this July 12, in next year March cabinet.

Deng Hongji also mentioned that blue light HD the DVD cassette mechanism for the high-capacity, Gao Huazhi, the high analysis's new field of vision, may let the phantom be more lifelike, the picture to be more gorgeous. Its superiority is easier and the present DVD disc maintains the compatibility, and may continue to use the existing DVD disc's production equipment, is advantageous expands the disc and objective lens' distance, does not need the disc card chest and so on, reduces largely from the existing DVD transition the cost which needs to HD DVD, the cost which from DVD causes the small dish piece production manufacturer to transform to HD DVD when needs to be able 夠 to fall lowly. In addition, although HD the DVD small dish piece record capacity is small, but against blows, the antifouling ability to be good, does not need the card chest, therefore the production system regulation is easy, and the cost is low.

[quote name='dpatel']Damn, I need a 'blue light HD the dvd' player.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the translation is horrible.

I wish they would just get a decent Combo player out by the Holidays.

found this.

Pull back the reigns HD DVD fanboys, Akihabara now says that they've made a "huge mistake" with their translation: the original source called it "藍光 HD DVD and 藍光 means Blu-RAY." In other words, Blu-ray HD DVD. Huh? Word to the wise: since both formats use blue lasers, it's best to wait for an English press release before either camp celebrates.
http://img.engadget.com/2007/04/20/the-wal-mart-299-hd-dvd-player-on-the-way/

Not sure what '藍光' is supposed to be though, but apparently the bad translation sent a mixed message.

But, if the price was translated correctly (which it probably was), then, whatever walmart ordered is going to retail for $300 in 2008. Most likely, these are HD-DVD players.

[quote name='dpatel']found this.

http://img.engadget.com/2007/04/20/the-wal-mart-299-hd-dvd-player-on-the-way/

Not sure what '藍光' is supposed to be though, but apparently the bad translation sent a mixed message.

But, if the price was translated correctly (which it probably was), then, whatever walmart ordered is going to retail for $300 in 2008. Most likely, these are HD-DVD players.[/QUOTE]

Translation was bad, but the original press release had HD DVD posted a dozen times in full english along with Wal-Mart.

These will start arriving sometime in the next few months with production ending in 2008.

[quote name='gizmogc']Translation was bad, but the original press release had HD DVD posted a dozen times in full english along with Wal-Mart.

These will start arriving sometime in the next few months with production ending in 2008.[/QUOTE]

Actually, they mention 'blue light hd dvd', which, according to engadget means blu-ray hd-dvd. So, probably best to wait for an english press release.

Is having a cheap player enough to win this war? I mean cheap both in quality and price. I still think HD needs some big titles, and I still haven't seen anything in their future that screams blockbuster. I mean BR has Pirates next month, add to that Spiderman and Cars sometime this year. I just think HD needs better marketing and some blockbuster titles to win this war. I just can't see anybody buying HD player just because it's cheaper, while most of the big movies they want to see are on BR. I used to be a BR fanboy, but now I just want this war over no matter who wins. I own a lot of BR movies that I watch on my PS3, but their are a few movies I would love to see in HD that are only on HD-DVD. I would also love to see one format to stop all the confusion. If I get asked one more time what's the difference between HD-DVD and Blu-ray, I think I might snap.

The lower price will help it a lot. Not sure if it will end this format war, as HD-DVD has not done a good job in getting their name out there.

[quote name='dpatel']Actually, they mention 'blue light hd dvd', which, according to engadget means blu-ray hd-dvd. So, probably best to wait for an english press release.[/QUOTE]

That is actually referring to the 'Blue-Laser' that both machines use.

Aside from that the article mentions
Already existing compatability with DVD (HD/DVD Combos)
No need for a whole new operation since existing equipment can be updated (Unlike BR)

This is for sure going to be HD DVD.

Looks like Robert at AVS (very good connections with Toshiba and the entire HD DVD Camp) has confirmed it will be HD DVD and will be available for $299.99 with frequent sales of $199.99 Pre-Xmas at Wal-Mart. He speaks of getting some for his store and his own branding so this MAY not be a Wal-Mart 'exclusive'.

[quote name='gizmogc']That is actually referring to the 'Blue-Laser' that both machines use.

Aside from that the article mentions
Already existing compatability with DVD (HD/DVD Combos)
No need for a whole new operation since existing equipment can be updated (Unlike BR)

This is for sure going to be HD DVD.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I said it was most likely HD-DVD because of the price, but just stating what was written in the article.

[quote name='soonersfan60']But dpatel can hope...[/QUOTE]

If by 'dpatel', you mean engadget.com, then yea, you're right.

No, I meant you. I always see you try and spin as much as possible to support PS3 and Blu-ray. I'm just enjoying the show and have no intention of jumping in until there is a winner.

[quote name='soonersfan60']No, I meant you. I always see you try and spin as much as possible to support PS3 and Blu-ray. I'm just enjoying the show and have no intention of jumping in until there is a winner.[/QUOTE]

I definitely support the PS3, as I own one, and I do prefer Blu-ray. Seeing as how I was sorta forced into it, I have more of a reason to want Blu-ray to win. I don't know what you mean by me 'spinning' anything though. All I said was I believe the article was referring to HD-DVD, but engadget seems to think they may have mistranslated. Unless you want to point out specific examples of me 'spinning' information.

I realize the PS3 is not a popular console (that's a given seeing as how the nature of this site is a focus on cheap gaming, and the PS3 is anything but that), and Sony isn't a very well liked company (I'm not too fond of them), but I didn't realize it is so bad to actually favor the PS3. I could undertand you calling me out if I just went around saying "OmG PSTrIpLe RULLEEZ", but I like to think that I am pretty open-minded about all consoles and formats, and can see the good and bad in all. I am biased, I'm not going to deny that, but I feel that I back up my arguments with suffiecient reasoning and logic. If I don't, you can call me out on it, but don't just call me out simply because I have a preference and support that prefence with reasoning and logic.

[quote name='dpatel']I definitely support the PS3, as I own one, and I do prefer Blu-ray. Seeing as how I was sorta forced into it, I have more of a reason to want Blu-ray to win. I don't know what you mean by me 'spinning' anything though. All I said was I believe the article was referring to HD-DVD, but engadget seems to think they may have mistranslated. Unless you want to point out specific examples of me 'spinning' information.

I realize the PS3 is not a popular console (that's a given seeing as how the nature of this site is a focus on cheap gaming, and the PS3 is anything but that), and Sony isn't a very well liked company (I'm not too fond of them), but I didn't realize it is so bad to actually favor the PS3. I could undertand you calling me out if I just went around saying "OmG PSTrIpLe RULLEEZ", but I like to think that I am pretty open-minded about all consoles and formats, and can see the good and bad in all. I am biased, I'm not going to deny that, but I feel that I back up my arguments with suffiecient reasoning and logic. If I don't, you can call me out on it, but don't just call me out simply because I have a preference and support that prefence with reasoning and logic.[/quote]You enjoy the PS3, therefore you MUST be biased and a spin doctor. It's simple logic, man. Duh.

I think I'm about as equally tired of people accusing people of inbred bias (whether it's true or not) as I am of people exemplifying it. Why can't we enjoy what we enjoy and just play are own stuff and actually have an opinion when it comes to something without being a video-game(movie-format)-biggot? Of course someone is going to want what they plunked down money on to succeed.

Believe it or not, there's no objective truth is which console/game/format/genre is better than the other.

I don't mind one way or the other. I'm mostly just teasing you rather than calling you out. You do back up what you say and try to appear "objective" sometimes, but you must admit that you have to be in the top 3 posters who support the PS3. I'm not just talking about this thread, but anyone who reads the totality of CAG would certainly agree that you try your best to put everything (good or bad) in the best light for Sony. I'm not saying it's good or bad...just an observation. Yes, you have facts, but you almost sound like Sony PR people. (Ok, I take that back. I guess that could be taken the wrong way since the Sony PR people have been taking it on the chin for some inane ramblings in the recent past. Don't want you to think I am trying to insult you. :p)

hey! I'm not as bad as Krazy Ken. :D

And yea, I'm a PS3 supporter. I don't try to hide my bias. I try to be open minded to other consoles, but I am definitely not unbiased. I don't really try to put the PS3 in a positive light all the time. I do like a lot of things that they have done, but I am also quick to point out when I feel they are in the wrong.

(I didn't really take what you said as an insult. My long post wasn't really directed only at you. I've had people also point out my PS3 bias in the past, which I find ridiculous.)

[quote name='dpatel']hey! I'm not as bad as Krazy Ken. :D

And yea, I'm a PS3 supporter. I don't try to hide my bias. [/quote]

[quote name='dpatel']
I've had people also point out my PS3 bias in the past, which I find ridiculous.[/quote]

#-o :lol:

:lol:

i meant to say point it out in a negative way, as if it were bad that I was biased. good catch though. you got me :D

This whole format war is absolutely ridiculous. Blame it on Sony to divide the new age of movie media. At this point, I'll still to buying DVDs and watching them on my upscale player. If HD or Blue-Ray fails, the people who purchased many movies in the format that loses will be left with a dead media. It's sad in my opinion.

Anyone here pick up Planet Earth? At first, I had no interest in the thing (way too pricey for me), but after seeing the popularity of it and the great reviews, I looked more into it. I am contemplating buying this. Just wanted to hear some of your experiences with it.

[quote name='dpatel']Anyone here pick up Planet Earth? At first, I had no interest in the thing (way too pricey for me), but after seeing the popularity of it and the great reviews, I looked more into it. I am contemplating buying this. Just wanted to hear some of your experiences with it.[/quote]

I happened upon one episode on Discovery HD, and was simply stunned. Then the 14-minute preview on Amazon sealed the deal. My HD DVD shipped an hour ago and shows up Wednesday.

[quote name='dpatel']Anyone here pick up Planet Earth? At first, I had no interest in the thing (way too pricey for me), but after seeing the popularity of it and the great reviews, I looked more into it. I am contemplating buying this. Just wanted to hear some of your experiences with it.[/QUOTE]

Its pretty damn amazing. Ive been watching it on Discovery HD, and it looks AWESOME picture wise. The HD/BR version will be EVEN better. Some of the shots they get are simply amazing. I'll be buying mine tomorrow at Best Buy and returning it once my copy from Warner Online arrives.

[quote name='dpatel']I definitely support the PS3, as I own one, and I do prefer Blu-ray. Seeing as how I was sorta forced into it, I have more of a reason to want Blu-ray to win. I don't know what you mean by me 'spinning' anything though. All I said was I believe the article was referring to HD-DVD, but engadget seems to think they may have mistranslated. Unless you want to point out specific examples of me 'spinning' information.

I realize the PS3 is not a popular console (that's a given seeing as how the nature of this site is a focus on cheap gaming, and the PS3 is anything but that), and Sony isn't a very well liked company (I'm not too fond of them), but I didn't realize it is so bad to actually favor the PS3. I could undertand you calling me out if I just went around saying "OmG PSTrIpLe RULLEEZ", but I like to think that I am pretty open-minded about all consoles and formats, and can see the good and bad in all. I am biased, I'm not going to deny that, but I feel that I back up my arguments with suffiecient reasoning and logic. If I don't, you can call me out on it, but don't just call me out simply because I have a preference and support that prefence with reasoning and logic.[/QUOTE]

My issue, if Sony wins both the console and format war, I think they'll become unbearable in the power manuever bullshit they'll try and this may even happen if they just win the format war.

[quote name='pico210']This whole format war is absolutely ridiculous. Blame it on Sony to divide the new age of movie media. At this point, I'll still to buying DVDs and watching them on my upscale player. If HD or Blue-Ray fails, the people who purchased many movies in the format that loses will be left with a dead media. It's sad in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

*sigh*
Im not surprised at all that someone who said "Blue-Ray" has no idea what they are talking about.

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are both back by more than one company.

[quote name='gizmogc']Its pretty damn amazing. Ive been watching it on Discovery HD, and it looks AWESOME picture wise. The HD/BR version will be EVEN better. Some of the shots they get are simply amazing. I'll be buying mine tomorrow at Best Buy and returning it once my copy from Warner Online arrives.[/QUOTE]

Heh. To tell you the truth, I would not have even considered the movie had you not reiterated the fact that it was doing so well on HD. So, I guess I owe you one. I've been looking at screens and it looks absolutely beautiful. The price is a bit hard to stomach, but I've been wanting a title that will really give me a 'hd' feel, and this looks to be it.

Any differences between BD and HD versions? I heard BD is only on 25GB discs, which sucks, but don't know much else. Was going to check the avsforums to check the differenecs.

[quote name='Sarang01']My issue, if Sony wins both the console and format war, I think they'll become unbearable in the power manuever bullshit they'll try and this may even happen if they just win the format war.[/QUOTE]

I think people are incorrectly associating Sony with Blu-ray. Yes they are a part of the BDA, but they are not the sole force driving the format (unlike Beta, Minidisc, and UMD). They are just part of a collaborative effort that includes Sony, much like DVDs and CDs were. I see nothing wrong with them winning the format war. Either format winning would pretty much cause a 'monopoly' but how is that any different than what we have experienced in the past. People might not want this because it seems like it is a Sony only format, but it is actually a colloborative effort with many companies backing it (just like HD-DVD is more than just Toshiba). So, either way, you sort of have a monopoly as far as movie formats go, but that has worked in the past, and I want this generation to be no different.

As for Sony winning the console war, I definitely agree. I wouldn't mind if they won, but they can not (and definitely will not) dominate like they did with the PS2. If the PS3 has the same dominance as the PS2 did (which seems almost impossible at this point), it will just tell Sony that it is okay to force unproven formats. I am not against forcing unproven formats on consumers, but when it drives up the price of the console, that is when there is a problem. But, given the current state of the console war, I can't see Sony dominating. It's hard to see them even winning at this point (although, I believe they will pull a slow and late victory, that will only be marginally above the 360).

[quote name='dpatel']I think people are incorrectly associating Sony with Blu-ray. Yes they are a part of the BDA, but they are not the sole force driving the format (unlike Beta, Minidisc, and UMD). They are just part of a collaborative effort that includes Sony, much like DVDs and CDs were. I see nothing wrong with them winning the format war. Either format winning would pretty much cause a 'monopoly' but how is that any different than what we have experienced in the past. People might not want this because it seems like it is a Sony only format, but it is actually a colloborative effort with many companies backing it (just like HD-DVD is more than just Toshiba). So, either way, you sort of have a monopoly as far as movie formats go, but that has worked in the past, and I want this generation to be no different.

As for Sony winning the console war, I definitely agree. I wouldn't mind if they won, but they can not (and definitely will not) dominate like they did with the PS2. If the PS3 has the same dominance as the PS2 did (which seems almost impossible at this point), it will just tell Sony that it is okay to force unproven formats. I am not against forcing unproven formats on consumers, but when it drives up the price of the console, that is when there is a problem. But, given the current state of the console war, I can't see Sony dominating. It's hard to see them even winning at this point (although, I believe they will pull a slow and late victory, that will only be marginally above the 360).[/QUOTE]

I've heard this talking point before but you can't deny BR is Sony's baby.

You want to know why I don't want Sony's power manuevers? I've heard about it in gaming, fucking Saturn over and threatening to reduce PS offerings if they wouldn't reduce or limit Saturn stock, screwing us on 2D in the US thinking it won't sell because of the imbeciles at SCEA, the Japanese SEC scandal and it goes on. Do other companies pull this bs? Yes but few are as bad as them except for MS, Disney and FOX. Luckily FOX lost money on DirecTV and gave up, selling it to Starz. Oh and Nintendo are terrible in regards to the royalty fees they charge.
One thing I WILL credit Sony for though, they may not be as solid as Nintendo or Sega in 1st party offerings but they're pretty damn solid in general. MS on the other hand would do well following Sony's example and they're starting to try. Too bad there's little in the vein of "Ico" or "Sadness" and what there was was cancelled instead of taking the hit and making in-roads in terms of getting prestige for the Microsoft Game Studios moniker.

[quote name='Sarang01']I've heard this talking point before but you can't deny BR is Sony's baby.

[/QUOTE]

Just as much as HD-DVD is Toshiba's Baby. I don't see a difference.

The only reason I prefer Blu-Ray to HD-DVD currently is because HD-DVD does not has as good of audio when using the 360 add on(which I hear is getting fixed soon) . That is the only reason I will buy something on Blu-Ray when its available on both. I have not bought a single DVD in a long time, which I think is fantastic. Between both formats almost every new release comes out with an HD version.

[quote name='rodeojones903']The only reason I prefer Blu-Ray to HD-DVD currently is because HD-DVD does not has as good of audio when using the 360 add on(which I hear is getting fixed soon) . That is the only reason I will buy something on Blu-Ray when its available on both. I have not bought a single DVD in a long time, which I thing is fantastic. Between both formats almost every new release comes out with an HD version.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Have only been buying BD so far. Kinda not what I originally planned. I was going to buy a few titles just to experience HD, then wait it out until a winner was determined, but those HD movies are too damn tempting. My BD collection just keeps growing.

[quote name='Sarang01']I've heard this talking point before but you can't deny BR is Sony's baby.[/QUOTE]

Like rodeo said, that is really no different than pretty much any company who supports a format. They will do what they can do to see that format succeed. Some are more aggressive and effective than others, but, ultimately, they all want the same outcome.

Rodeo, how do they plan to upgrade the audio on the HD-DVD addon?

I too am very interested in the Discovery HD set because of all the hype and reviews.
It's pricey yeah, but it would be my first BD purchase (very little interest in HD movies out right now).

[quote name='rodeojones903']*sigh*
Im not surprised at all that someone who said "Blue-Ray" has no idea what they are talking about.

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are both back by more than one company.[/quote]

It is more than a tad ironic, and a bit hypocritical, that you denigrate people who don't know there's no "e" in Blu-Ray when you yourself don't know that there's no hyphen in HD DVD.

[quote name='dpatel']Any differences between BD and HD versions? I heard BD is only on 25GB discs, which sucks, but don't know much else. Was going to check the avsforums to check the differenecs.[/quote]
The video is the same exact VC-1 encode on both, and I'm 99.9% sure the audio is identical as well. the HD DVD is listed as having TrueHD, while the BD is listed as having MLP lossless. Since the Blu-Ray spec doesn't support MLP lossless (the manner in which TrueHD is most often implemented on HD DVD), most of us are assuming it's a misprint and they meant the "zippered" version of TrueHD. Same results, slightly different process. It's also possible they meant "Multichannel Linear PCM", which would be partially corroborated by some eBay listings that claim uncompressed PCM for the Blu-Ray Edition. Either way, the sound will be identical and I haven't even seen a rumor that the BR release is getting stuck with DD, so I wouldn't worry.

Bottom line, there should be absolutely no perceptible difference whatsoever between the HD and BR versions.

Edit: I stand corrected, the Blu-Ray version has been CONFIRMED to have a 448kbps Dolby Digital track. And so has the HD DVD version. Amazon is wrong on both counts, and there is absoloutely NO difference between the two versions. EXACT same audio, EXACT same video. And with the video being VC-1 at over 30Mbps (Batman Begins is 12Mbps for sake of comparison), it's going to be some INCREDIBLE video, indeed.

[quote name='dallow']Rodeo, how do they plan to upgrade the audio on the HD-DVD addon?

[/QUOTE]

Something about how the audio is defaulted to a sleep mode, which muffles the audio. I read in the spring update that they will give the option to turn that off.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Something about how the audio is defaulted to a sleep mode, which muffles the audio. I read in the spring update that they will give the option to turn that off.[/quote]

Does the HD DVD add on have an audio out itself?

If not, then it's using the 360's audio out which means it can't support the lossless or advance audio resolutions like TrueHD.

(though with the Elite...)

[quote name='geko29']I stand corrected, the Blu-Ray version has been CONFIRMED to have a 448kbps Dolby Digital track. And so has the HD DVD version. Amazon is wrong on both counts, and there is absoloutely NO difference between the two versions. EXACT same audio, EXACT same video. And with the video being VC-1 at over 30Mbps (Batman Begins is 12Mbps for sake of comparison), it's going to be some INCREDIBLE video, indeed.[/quote]

The video sounds nice!
Sucks on only being DD, but seems to be at a higher bitrate than the usual DD tracks.

[quote name='dpatel']Heh. To tell you the truth, I would not have even considered the movie had you not reiterated the fact that it was doing so well on HD. So, I guess I owe you one. I've been looking at screens and it looks absolutely beautiful. The price is a bit hard to stomach, but I've been wanting a title that will really give me a 'hd' feel, and this looks to be it.

Any differences between BD and HD versions? I heard BD is only on 25GB discs, which sucks, but don't know much else. Was going to check the avsforums to check the differenecs.[/QUOTE]

I had lunch with my mother today and she was actually talking about 'Planet Earth'. She watched it downstairs on my fathers 80" super expensive TV. She would not shut up about how good it looked. My mother normally had no idea about that type of stuff at all. She knows what HD means, but couldn't say anything more then 'its pretty'. She then went upstairs on watched her Soaps on her 27" GE SDTV she purchased 12 years ago. She refuses to buy another TV because she doesn't care about picture. Ive tried convincing her...but no luck. Of course when I bring over my A2 and hook it up (they still have a normal DVD Player hooked up downstairs to the super duper expensive TV), she will be blown away. I plan on giving them my A2 once a better solution arrives in the next few months. Back on subject, Planet Earth rocks. Great PQ quality.

As far as I know, the HD and BR version are the same. I may be wrong though.

I think people are incorrectly associating Sony with Blu-ray. Yes they are a part of the BDA, but they are not the sole force driving the format (unlike Beta, Minidisc, and UMD). They are just part of a collaborative effort that includes Sony, much like DVDs and CDs were. I see nothing wrong with them winning the format war. Either format winning would pretty much cause a 'monopoly' but how is that any different than what we have experienced in the past. People might not want this because it seems like it is a Sony only format, but it is actually a colloborative effort with many companies backing it (just like HD-DVD is more than just Toshiba). So, either way, you sort of have a monopoly as far as movie formats go, but that has worked in the past, and I want this generation to be no different.

As for Sony winning the console war, I definitely agree. I wouldn't mind if they won, but they can not (and definitely will not) dominate like they did with the PS2. If the PS3 has the same dominance as the PS2 did (which seems almost impossible at this point), it will just tell Sony that it is okay to force unproven formats. I am not against forcing unproven formats on consumers, but when it drives up the price of the console, that is when there is a problem. But, given the current state of the console war, I can't see Sony dominating. It's hard to see them even winning at this point (although, I believe they will pull a slow and late victory, that will only be marginally above the 360).

I will always consider the BDA as Sony. Sony has what, 95%+ of all Blu-Ray players sold, and they are the ones who promised Fox and Disney they should join because of the Piracy Protection (false) and that PS3 would sell like crazy (false again). To ME, and MANY others, Sony = Blu-Ray

LG has another Hybrid player launching sometime in June/July...will have 100% full DB-J and HDi quality. Depending on the price, I may jump for this and sell my PS3 and A2.

[quote name='geko29']The video is the same exact VC-1 encode on both, and I'm 99.9% sure the audio is identical as well. the HD DVD is listed as having TrueHD, while the BD is listed as having MLP lossless. Since the Blu-Ray spec doesn't support MLP lossless (the manner in which TrueHD is most often implemented on HD DVD), most of us are assuming it's a misprint and they meant the "zippered" version of TrueHD. Same results, slightly different process. It's also possible they meant "Multichannel Linear PCM", which would be partially corroborated by some eBay listings that claim uncompressed PCM for the Blu-Ray Edition. Either way, the sound will be identical and I haven't even seen a rumor that the BR release is getting stuck with DD, so I wouldn't worry.

Bottom line, there should be absolutely no perceptible difference whatsoever between the HD and BR versions.

Edit: I stand corrected, the Blu-Ray version has been CONFIRMED to have a 448kbps Dolby Digital track. And so has the HD DVD version. Amazon is wrong on both counts, and there is absoloutely NO difference between the two versions. EXACT same audio, EXACT same video. And with the video being VC-1 at over 30Mbps (Batman Begins is 12Mbps for sake of comparison), it's going to be some INCREDIBLE video, indeed.[/QUOTE]

Alright, thanks. I've been checking the avsforums, and this seems to be the general consensus too, but good to hear confirmation. Now I am wondering if I should jump on it, or wait. I have a feeling this won't be widely available, and the longer I wait, the harder it will be to find.

[quote name='gizmogc']I will always consider the BDA as Sony. Sony has what, 95%+ of all Blu-Ray players sold, and they are the ones who promised Fox and Disney they should join because of the Piracy Protection (false) and that PS3 would sell like crazy (false again). To ME, and MANY others, Sony = Blu-Ray[/QUOTE]

Yea, I see why people associate BD with Sony. They have been the most effective and aggressive at getting blu-ray out there. I was just responding to someone who blamed the whole format war on Sony, which I find amusing. Both parties are really to blame as they both tried to reach an agreement to unite, but couldn't, and, thus the format war was born. Sony is just one player among hundreds of companies that keep dragging on this war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back