- LOCK - Format War - HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray - LOCK -

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='KaneRobot']Was out of town for a couple days but people came up with a couple new ones over at highdefdigest. I touched them up a little...couldn't find a decent sized version of the UMD logo.

73pkym0.gif

89lq2dj.gif
[/QUOTE]

Can you make one that says "Im with Blu only because it was forced onto me because I bought a PS3". That would fit the bill of just about everyone in this thread that is BR only. :cool:

[quote name='dallow']I hope that doesn't mean you think Gizmo is funny.
Maybe funny as in funny/sad?[/QUOTE]

I am pretty funny. I'm going to go watch Transformers again in HD. Sucks for you :D

[quote name='GizmoGC']I am pretty funny. I'm going to go watch Transformers again in HD. Sucks for you :D[/QUOTE]

Argh! If only I had a Transforme... err... HD-DVD player.

So, what are the chances of Battle Royale coming to BD. Just saw the movie for the first time (yea, I know I'm late), and considering purchasing it. Not sure if I should just bite and buy it on DVD, or wait for a BD release (if that's even possible. Not sure where their studio stands in the war).

[quote name='dpatel']So, what are the chances of Battle Royale coming to BD. Just saw the movie for the first time (yea, I know I'm late), and considering purchasing it. Not sure if I should just bite and buy it on DVD, or wait for a BD release (if that's even possible. Not sure where their studio stands in the war).[/QUOTE]

Wait. I think New Line has the rihts here as they're remaking it. shudders.

[quote name='GizmoGC']I am pretty funny. I'm going to go watch Transformers again in HD. Sucks for you :D[/QUOTE]

That's funny. I'm going to go watch "Chuck and Larry" again in HD. Sucks for me. :/

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Can you send me an article proving that they weren't? Can you send me an article that Fox and Disney were paid out like you claim?

New York Times and Hollywood Def Magazine are not some random journalist and are a far more reputable source than you.
And Spider-man 3 was still the 2nd best selling title last week, outselling Cars and your precious Transformers, sounds like a pretty good showing to me.

And why would there be a paper trail? There's nothing illegal about it, and therefore no paper trail would be necessary to be investigated. Plus, I don't remember the article, but someone at highdefdigest asked a paramount rep if they were paid off and they didn't flat out refuse that they were.
Plus, any link I would send you, you would just claim is "invalid" because it doesn't include Wal-mart numbers, like you claim the Nielson numbers are now. ;)

And yet you claim that the "one day" sale will be the DEATH of Blu-ray and the SAVIOR of HD-DVD!!!!!!!

Cheapest Blu-ray last year 600. Cheapest blu-ray now, 400. Chepeast HD-DVD last year? I can't remember, ~400, cheapest HD-DVD now? 98-199. And if that's the case, than you most certainly get what you pay for with the extra 200$ in the Blu-ray player, 1080p support with more audio support? very nice.

And excuse me while I go watch Transporter that I was able to pick up today for 13.99 because of the DAMN BDA and their desperate BOGO sales! HOW DARE THEY MAKE BLU-RAY DISCS AFFORDABLE!!! HOW DARE THEY!!!!!

/sarcasm[/QUOTE]

So you have no way of proving it, correct?

Cheapest Blu-ray player last year was $800-$1000 (Samsung 1000). PS3 is not a stand alone player.

[quote name='GizmoGC']So you have no way of proving it, correct?

Cheapest Blu-ray player last year was $800-$1000 (Samsung 1000). PS3 is not a stand alone player.[/quote]

Still a Blu-ray player. And who says we are forced to support blu-ray? Jsut because we buy a PS3 doens't mean we have to buy Blu-ray movies.

If A New York times article and Hollywood Hi Def article aren't seen as a way to prove it, then no, I won't have a way to prove it until Viacom releases their financial report at the end of the year as required by all publicly traded companies.

[quote name='scion of ys']anyone know how many total titles are available on each format??[/QUOTE]

About 350. Sometimes Blu-ray is leading, sometimes HD DVD is leading. However the Blu-ray count still includes the Paramount titles which are now no longer being pressed. What you see on shelves is it.

Uh-oh. Godfather and Indiana Jones Trilogy to be released on HD DVD in Norway. News coming soon?

http://release.no/artikkel.asp?ID=4943

Godbiter fra arkivene?
– Ja, både Gudfaren-filmene og Indiana Jones-filmene kommer på HD DVD neste år, sier Paramounts norske sjef.

Translation:

- Any highlights from the archives?
- Yes, both the Godfather movies and the Indiana Jones movies will be released on HD DVD next year.

[quote name='mykevermin']That's funny. I'm going to go watch "Chuck and Larry" again in HD. Sucks for me. :/[/quote]

Not if you're straight!
[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=LsE6-TnJGKE[/MEDIA]

[quote name='GizmoGC']Uh-oh. Godfather and Indiana Jones Trilogy to be released on HD DVD in Norway. News coming soon?

http://release.no/artikkel.asp?ID=4943

Translation:

- Any highlights from the archives?
- Yes, both the Godfather movies and the Indiana Jones movies will be released on HD DVD next year.[/QUOTE]

I will import the fuck out of Indiana Jones.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Still a Blu-ray player. And who says we are forced to support blu-ray? Jsut because we buy a PS3 doens't mean we have to buy Blu-ray movies.

If A New York times article and Hollywood Hi Def article aren't seen as a way to prove it, then no, I won't have a way to prove it until Viacom releases their financial report at the end of the year as required by all publicly traded companies.[/QUOTE]

What MSRP did the HD Drive Drop at?

[quote name='Sporadic']I will import the fuck out of Indiana Jones.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if Spielburg will try to block us.

Anyone heard about a $250 deal on a BR player on Black Friday? I mean preferably the BDP-1400

[quote name='Sarang01']I wonder if Spielburg will try to block us.

Anyone heard about a $250 deal on a BR player on Black Friday? I mean preferably the BDP-1400[/quote]
you can go to www.bfads.net/scans to check, but at Best buy and Circuit City all I saw was the BSP-1400 for 400$ with 8 free movies. I don't know if it was exactly the BSP-1400, but it was the samsung one that is usually 500$.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...ect_HD_DVD_Titles_at_47_Percent_Off_List/1187
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht..._rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=331239301&pf_rd_i=193642011
ZOMG!!! Amazon is offering 47% off of Universal HD-DVD's! One store offering a sale on Universal titles! DESPERATION!!!!

/sarcasm

Good for HD-DVD owners, but there really isn't that much on the list, it's only one page, I won't comment on the movies since I am not an owner, but I am a big fan of Spartacus. :)

[quote name='GizmoGC']So you have no way of proving it, correct?

Cheapest Blu-ray player last year was $800-$1000 (Samsung 1000). PS3 is not a stand alone player.[/QUOTE]

Aw crap.. time recalculate attach rates. Hmm, that puts BD way ahead of HD.. oh wait.. now the PS3 is a BD player? Time to recalculate hardware sales.

[quote name='dpatel']Aw crap.. time recalculate attach rates. Hmm, that puts BD way ahead of HD.. oh wait.. now the PS3 is a BD player? Time to recalculate hardware sales.[/quote]

You have no way to prove that, Nielson Video Scan numbers are invalid because they don't include Wal-Mart.

[quote name='dpatel']That's okay. We'll overestimate HD numbers to compensate for that.[/quote]
So we'll say they are losing 63:37 instead of 65:35? ;)

And Linkin, do you like Microsoft? I can't tell by your avatar or anything. ;)

[quote name='dpatel']*is jealous of future Indiana Jones owners*[/quote]

I don't trust that article. First, the article says "Both Godfather movies," Now I am very young, but I know there are about 4 godfather movies. 2. Paramount specifically said that any Spielberg movie is not part of the exclusivity deal.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']I don't trust that article. First, the article says "Both Godfather movies," Now I am very young, but I know there are about 4 godfather movies. 2. Paramount specifically said that any Spielberg movie is not part of the exclusivity deal.[/QUOTE]

3 Godfather movies.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']So we'll say they are losing 63:37 instead of 65:35? ;)

And Linkin, do you like Microsoft? I can't tell by your avatar or anything. ;)[/QUOTE]

Why bother with a Zune when you can get video in 16:9 on the PSP and just buy a big Memory Stick Duo to handle it.
DPatel on Indiana Jones who knows about the rights of it in Norway? I mean Spielburg.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']And, good news for geko!

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=681

Gone Bay Gone, which was critically acclaimed and was one of the highest rated movies of the year, is going to support 24bit PCM. [/quote] No clue what it is, though being a Disney release, a 24bit soundtrack is no surprise. The vast majority of their films have PCM in 24bit. I may have to check it out though. I was pleasantly surprised by "The Lookout".

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=678

And 3:10 to Yuma will contain a 7.1 track.[/quote] No 7.1 system here (currently at 5.0--the integrated subs in my fronts are driven full range L/R), but I'll definitely be picking that one up.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000166481&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=right-2&pf_rd_r=13GJX6ZCC68A242PQD2H&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=331239301&pf_rd_i=193642011
ZOMG!!! Amazon is offering 47% off of Universal HD-DVD's! One store offering a sale on Universal titles! DESPERATION!!!!

/sarcasm

Good for HD-DVD owners, but there really isn't that much on the list, it's only one page, I won't comment on the movies since I am not an owner, but I am a big fan of Spartacus. :)[/quote]
Thanks! Picked up Dawn of the Dead and the Deer Hunter. Unfortunately, Spartacus is to HD DVD what House of Flying Daggers is to Blu-Ray, so I won't be buying that unless they remaster it.

[quote name='geko29']Thanks! Picked up Dawn of the Dead and the Deer Hunter. Unfortunately, Spartacus is to HD DVD what House of Flying Daggers is to Blu-Ray, so I won't be buying that unless they remaster it.[/QUOTE]

Spartacus isn't that bad. There is some film damage but I haven't seen any compression artifacts.

[quote name='GizmoGC']I am pretty funny. I'm going to go watch Transformers again in HD. Sucks for you :D[/quote]You should know that I'm not a big fan of mindless blockbusters by now.

[quote name='Sporadic']Spartacus isn't that bad. There is some film damage but I haven't seen any compression artifacts.[/quote]
There aren't any comrpession artifacts because there isn't any detail. Additionally, the color pallette is horrendous (and not by design). The HD DVD was authored from a master struck in 1991. That's right, the master used to make the HD DVD predates SD DVD. Absolutely unforgivable.

[quote name='geko29']No clue what it is, though being a Disney release, a 24bit soundtrack is no surprise. The vast majority of their films have PCM in 24bit. I may have to check it out though. I was pleasantly surprised by "The Lookout".

No 7.1 system here (currently at 5.0--the integrated subs in my fronts are driven full range L/R), but I'll definitely be picking that one up.

Thanks! Picked up Dawn of the Dead and the Deer Hunter. Unfortunately, Spartacus is to HD DVD what House of Flying Daggers is to Blu-Ray, so I won't be buying that unless they remaster it.[/quote]
So you mean one of the movies I want on HD-DVD sucks? Less reason for me to own it then. ;)

I highly recommend netflix, great for renting and trying out all these Hi-def movies.
Don't know why I thought you had a 7.1 system...
And I didn't release all of disney movies were 24bit PCM..... great for you I suppose.
And geko, I see why you said Universal is inconsistant now. :)
And wouldn't saying that Spatacus is Blu-ray's Fifth Element Non-Remastered?

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']So you mean one of the movies I want on HD-DVD sucks? Less reason for me to own it then. ;)[/quote] Yep, unfortunately. here's the screenshots. Fortunately, there are plenty of other worthwhile movies on HD DVD to justify jumping in, especially at

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']I don't trust that article. First, the article says "Both Godfather movies," Now I am very young, but I know there are about 4 godfather movies. 2. Paramount specifically said that any Spielberg movie is not part of the exclusivity deal.[/QUOTE]

They can release any movie they want to. I'm still waiting for that apology that Blu-ray.com promised would happened in that article regarding the Jaw and such at the Japanese conference. Never happened. :lol:

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']you can go to www.bfads.net/scans to check, but at Best buy and Circuit City all I saw was the BSP-1400 for 400$ with 8 free movies. I don't know if it was exactly the BSP-1400, but it was the samsung one that is usually 500$.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...ect_HD_DVD_Titles_at_47_Percent_Off_List/1187
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht..._rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=331239301&pf_rd_i=193642011

/sarcasm

Good for HD-DVD owners, but there really isn't that much on the list, it's only one page, I won't comment on the movies since I am not an owner, but I am a big fan of Spartacus. :)[/QUOTE]

ZOMG!

Amazon is doing another Fox/MGM sale!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht..._rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=329264201&pf_rd_i=193640011
Desperation AGAIN

[quote name='dallow']Sweet! The two Frys close to me were both gangraped and I got nothing.

EDIT: Sale sucks. :([/quote]

At least Speed is finally on sale. I've been wanting to pick that up for a while now.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']I don't trust that article. First, the article says "Both Godfather movies," Now I am very young, but I know there are about 4 godfather movies. 2. Paramount specifically said that any Spielberg movie is not part of the exclusivity deal.[/quote]

Its not "Both Godfather movies" here it is translated by someone on HighDefDigest:
[quote name='Andy_Dandy']I can confirm this. I'm norwegian, and the norwegian Paramount statement can't be misunderstood. Look forward to Indiana and the Godfather!!!!
drool03.gif

The norwegian text:

– Godbiter fra arkivene?
– Ja, både Gudfaren-filmene og Indiana Jones-filmene kommer på HD DVD neste år, sier Paramounts norske sjef.

Translated:

-Any goodies from the archives (next year) ?

- Yes, both the Godfather-movies and the Indiana Jones-movies will come out on HD DVD next year, says the norwegian Paramount boss.
[/QUOTE]
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=26371

Hope it comes to fruition.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Its not "Both Godfather movies" here it is translated by someone on HighDefDigest:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=26371

Hope it comes to fruition.[/quote]

Ahhhh, I see, must have misread it or something.
And sure they can release whatever they want, except the Spielberg movies, as was part of the contract stated by a Paramount spokesperson.
So Fry doing a weekend sales and Amazon doing a one-day sale on Fox/MGM titles = desperation.
But Wal-mart running a sale with 98$ players isn't?
:roll:
And the Fry's sale was better. Fox movies for 13.99 is a much better deal.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Ahhhh, I see, must have misread it or something.
And sure they can release whatever they want, except the Spielberg movies, as was part of the contract stated by a Paramount spokesperson.
So Fry doing a weekend sales and Amazon doing a one-day sale on Fox/MGM titles = desperation.
But Wal-mart running a sale with 98$ players isn't?
:roll:
And the Fry's sale was better. Fox movies for 13.99 is a much better deal.[/quote]
Not sure if the Paramount deal is worlwide, it migh be an exclusive thing overseas...don't quote me on that though.

$98 Players were basically clearance, removing old stock, making room for the new A3's. Yet some of you guys refer to it as a "desparation" move by Toshiba. GizmoGC is simply throwing the sarcasm back at you guys. At least, I think he is.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Ahhh, still more than two. ;)[/QUOTE]

If you read it properly it says both the Godfather Films and Indiana Jones. The both isn't referring to just the Godfather films, but Godfather and Indiana Jones together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back