Lost Odyssey - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Moxio']Seriously?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the Myna dream and that other one about the old lady were brutal. Also the part I just saw where Kaim meets a certain someone from his past. So sad...

[quote name='j.elles']Theres a brightness control as soon as you start the game. It's in the initial settings before it goes into the intro sequence and fight on the battlefield.

It's one of the last controls. On my TV it's actually kind of bright and I had to tune it down. It's running in 1080P on mine.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bassec']To answer your question, no, its just fine for me. Probably your settings on your TV/monitor.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='blackjaw']I'm with you, the darks are REALLY dark...everything else is alright. I don't like that I cant change the brightness in the game, have to do it on my TV. Oh well, I'm surviving and so far I haven't had any really dark areas except that beginning sequence and battlefield aftermath area.[/QUOTE]

There are no controls on mine, it just says to adjust your monitor. Everything else looks fine the way it is.

I'm wondering-could this be something they messed up with HDMI? For those of you who think it looks okay and you can adjust it, are you using component or VGA? If it's too dark and you can't adjust it, are you using HDMI?

Maybe I'll have to find my VGA or component cable and see if I can adjust it. It's not my TV-everything else looks just fine on it's current settings (including the trailer for the game).

I'm using component on a 60" set. I've switched to HDMI but I didn't detect a difference after putting in all my games so I returned it.

I just checked, yeah it tells you to adjust to a black and white pane that pops up. PC games do the same thing actually so it's nothing new. Same with Halo 3.

Anyway I love the dark serious aspect to the game. It's not done enough in JRPG's. I like this guy much more then Vaan, or Tidus so far. As for him being very dark it kind of goes with the theme of the story. Makes a lot more sense then say Final Fantasy 8 and Squal.

[quote name='j.elles']I'm using component on a 60" set. I've switched to HDMI but I didn't detect a difference after putting in all my games so I returned it.

I just checked, yeah it tells you to adjust to a black and white pane that pops up. PC games do the same thing actually so it's nothing new. Same with Halo 3.[/quote]

So you DON'T have any in-game controls for adjusting the brightness or gamma or anything either? Actually PC games almost always do (in addition to being able to set it in the drivers or on the monitor). A lot of console games do too now, thought I've never had a problem with a 360 game's brightness before (and like I said, the downloadable trailer looks totally normal).

I'll play around with my component and VGA cables tonight. Maybe that setting in the system blade that's something like "normal" or "vivid/expanded" or something would have an affect (I just have it on the default). If not, I'll try suffering with this a bit longer, then I guess I'll ditch the system :whistle2:/

I always do it on the TV or computer monitor because it's easier for me. My mistake.

Usually 99% of the time messing with the picture mode which has the vivid, hi-bright etc... on there will do it. Same with my computer monitor and TV.

Adjusting my TV doesn't help much, and the issue is definitely with the game, as nothing else has this problem :whistle2:/ (Plus even if it did help I wouldn't want to have to run my TV at it's max settings just to try to see it-but even doing that doesn't help much).

I'm only an hour in so far but I have not had any issue with the brightness of the game. Even during the initial controlable area in the battle aftermath I had no trouble making out fine detail in anything on the screen.

Looks perfect on mine. Brights are bright, blacks are black. Mess with you're connection and 360 settings. It might be you're tv as well. I know some tv's have color problems, cloudiness, and some of these have been known to get worse over time. Try a different TV, and different cables.

6 hours in, and pretty good so far. Man, that 2nd boss (technically 3rd, the first one in the intro doesn't really count) gave me a run for my money. It sure didn't help that I didn't learn anti-paralysis prior to battle, and my party was very beat HP & MP wise after grinding. It took a couple of tries, and I finally beat it. It's nice that the boss battles offer a challenge-- it's not just mindless command selecting.

Also, I must say: The battle music is amazing...I'm absolutely in love with it. It might already be my favorite RPG battle music of all time.

[quote name='y2kenjination']6 hours in, and pretty good so far. Man, that 2nd boss (technically 3rd, the first one in the intro doesn't really count) gave me a run for my money. It sure didn't help that I didn't learn anti-paralysis prior to battle, and my party was very beat HP & MP wise after grinding. It took a couple of tries, and I finally beat it. It's nice that the boss battles offer a challenge-- it's not just mindless command selecting.

Also, I must say: The battle music is amazing...I'm absolutely in love with it. It might already be my favorite RPG battle music of all time.[/QUOTE]

The regular battle music is money. Best I've ever heard. There is actually 3 or 4 boss songs so far, maybe more. There is one that is awesome, the rest is alright.

It does have good battle music. Though I still have to give best battle music to Unlimited Saga. Yes the game was garbage, but the music was great.

[quote name='Moxio']Unlimited Saga? Oh buddy.[/QUOTE]
Don't deny the greatness of Hamazu. The guy is an awesome composer. Crap game or not, the battle theme in Unlimited Saga was the shit.

Great, more immortals joined my party. They are way behind in slot seeds and skill abilities. I generally grind until I have all skill abilities which more then enough for boss fights. I don't feel like level them up to keep pace with my current party.

I just beat the second boss and I realize it would've helped a lot if I would've trained my guys in paralysis immunity. I tried doing a skill link, but I couldn't seem to get it to work. I have the yellow band, do I need anything else?

[quote name='Wolve11']I just beat the second boss and I realize it would've helped a lot if I would've trained my guys in paralysis immunity. I tried doing a skill link, but I couldn't seem to get it to work. I have the yellow band, do I need anything else?[/quote]

No, just equip that accessory on the said immortal that you wish to train the skill on and once it's learned you can unequip it and learn it on another immortal. Just make sure to skill equip it on the immortal you just learned it with. Also while you have the said accessory equipped it will make them (mortals included) immune so long as you don't remove it.

[quote name='Wolve11']I just beat the second boss and I realize it would've helped a lot if I would've trained my guys in paralysis immunity. I tried doing a skill link, but I couldn't seem to get it to work. I have the yellow band, do I need anything else?[/QUOTE]

First you equip yellow band on an immortal (kaim/seth).
Next you need to fight enough battles to get 20sp while one of the immortals are wearing it.
After you get 20sp with them wearing it, you need to go to the skills menu and SET it in one of their skill slots.

Now they have paralysis immunity even without the band and you may equip it on your next immortal and repeat.

Thanks for the help guys, i knew about the training, I just had the band equipped on Janssen and was trying to skill link it to Kaim. I'll put it on Kaim now and win a few battles and should get it this way. Thanks.

Its been said before, but wow this is a freaking sad emotional game....

This is such a fulfilling game. i'm 6 and a half hours in and I'm still blown away by it. I really didn't like blue dragon much. The story was weak and the combat and exploration were generally boring to me, but so far LO is hitting all the right buttons.

The soundtrack is heavenly. I keep pausing what I'm doing and just enjoying the music. I'm taking it very slow and immersing myself, at 6 hours I'm just now at the boss on Ipsilon Mtns.

yea, i'm going through the game really slow.
I'm thinking I'll be picking up the guide just cause I would like to see if I can do as many side quests as possible.
For me this is a game with a nice change of pace. It really is a relaxing game that's simple to play yet still has a lot of puzzles and depth to it.

This game has me very pleased, Pleas guys do not put much stock in the Reviews except Gametrailers, This game is pure gold, Buy it by any means necessary

Yeah im moving along really slow exploring everything and doing any little sidequest i find. Jacking every hotel room / house / old peoples house / poor peoples corner for every little amount of cash i can or item. Its kinda funny how you just run into everyones houses, open up all their drawers and look in all the vases and jack all their shit. But i am thoroughly enjoying this game. I cant believe how much ive played since ive gotten it.

I just found a huge flaw in this game, any character that isn't in your current party won't gain any sp or experience. That is a huge annoyance considering the amount of characters you will get in this game
nine
and you are allow to put five in current party. You have choice to put in immortals for sp gain skills or put mortals for high level skills to use or skill link them to other characters. Level gaining isn't big deal since low level unit can get insane amount on high leveled stage. But that still leaves with sp points. They should of at least give you the sp points like license points in Final Fantasy 12 for benched characters.

[quote name='j.elles']Looks perfect on mine. Brights are bright, blacks are black. Mess with you're connection and 360 settings. It might be you're tv as well. I know some tv's have color problems, cloudiness, and some of these have been known to get worse over time. Try a different TV, and different cables.[/QUOTE]

It's not the TV. I've got a really good TV. This is the only game I've ever had an issue with.

I finally tried swapping back to my component cable, and other than looking less sharp, it's still too dark. Also tried adjusting the black level or whatever it's called under HDMI, and setting it to "expanded" actually made things even worse. Also I have no controls in the options screen when connected through component either.

I haven't bothered trying my VGA cable.

It looks like the are right past the opening is a little brighter, so I'll keep at it for a little bit.

EDIT: Yeah, it's like there's something wrong with the dark scenes being way too dark, but then it looks totally normal once get past that first battle area. Weird.

So far my impressions of this (aside from the technical issues) are really positive...

Well if it was the game itself, everyone would have the problem. It's possible the game is conflicting with a certain brand of television or something as I haven't really had a single problem with brightness. Hopefully it was just the beginning of the game for you or else you're probably going to hate the Black Cave a lot because as the name implies... It's dark.

Well, just finished disk 1. Holy shit this game has got me hooked. 3rd boss was pretty simple compared to the first 2 but a fun fight all around. And now my party is up to 5 people so alot of nice combo's you can pull up with people.

[quote name='sleepy180']Well, just finished disk 1. Holy shit this game has got me hooked. 3rd boss was pretty simple compared to the first 2 but a fun fight all around. And now my party is up to 5 people so alot of nice combo's you can pull up with people.[/quote]

I'm at the same exact spot. I love this game so far.

16:30 at the end of disc 1

I'm only 4 hours 45 minutes in and this game is phenominal. It's exactly what I hoped it would be and then some. And, my expecatations were pretty high going in. I love the systems (ring, ring assembly, battle formations, skill linking) and the music is phenominal. I'm hooked.

[quote name='hohez']I'm at the same exact spot. I love this game so far.

16:30 at the end of disc 1[/quote]

Holy crap! Your slow! I'm at 15 hours just starting Disc 3. Heh.

I really want to pick this up but I can't justify paying $60 when I know I won't find the time to delve into a game this huge. Summer sounds like a good time to pick this up.

[quote name='Poorleno']i rentend it and it horrible i didn't pay for a rent to watch a movie with 30 min cutscenes and it is horrible.[/QUOTE]
Which 30 minute cutscene? I'm 15 hours into the game and have yet to see a cutscene even come close to 30 minutes.

[quote name='Poorleno']i rentend it and it horrible i didn't pay for a rent to watch a movie with 30 min cutscenes and it is horrible.[/quote]

Go play Halo, moron.

[quote name='Poorleno']i rentend it and it horrible i didn't pay for a rent to watch a movie with 30 min cutscenes and it is horrible.[/QUOTE]

I guess you are talking about the first hour and half to two hours which is primary cutscenes with minimal exploration/fights. You need to invest more then 2 hour to fully judge this game, combat picks up after those first 2 hours.

If anybody here on disc two, there is one missable item. In The City of Saman, you will see Dandy the Crow behind the counter asking for 50 gold. Give him the 50 gold, but do it one hundred times and he will reward you with Awakening Bracelet. This equipment gives you 3 skills slots, a must-have skill for immortals. If you have too much healing or mana potions, he will refund your money. A big no-no since this doesn't tally up towards 100 count. If you accumulate a decent amount of potion throughout the game, go sell them.

For any missable items that occur disc 1 or 2, you can regain these item for a cost. In beginning of disc 3 in The City of Saman the auction house(located near pier)will open up . You going on bidding war to out wager for these items. You can only bid 3 times, so bid smart or very high. Don't try excessive low balling. If your opponent outbid and win some items, don't worry, these item will eventually cycle back until you have another shot to win those items.

[quote name='Wolve11']doodes, i playz tis gam3 and itz tha shiz, iz lika watchie movee n playins 2. I by diz g@me fo sho.[/quote]

well, aren't you mature.

Someone wanted to try this out at work.. I popped it in and watched. The battles played out just like old school Final Fantasy games. He bought that copy, and I immediately bought the last one. I've had homework all weekend, so I won't get to try it out until tomorrow night :(

I'm at the end of disk 2 I believe at around 25 hours of play time. Not exactly sure since I let the game idle for hours without pausing it. I have some qualms about the progression in disk 2, mainly about the voiced emotional responses from the characters. They sound so off in english to me and it reminds me why I rarely use english voice overs in games when I have the option. If only what was said in other languages matches the subtitles and the mouth movement a bit better I would enjoy it a bit more. Probably doesn't detract from most peoples experiences here but it does to mine. Though it's not nearly enough to stop me from playing.

Outside of that the game is progressing nicely. The dream sequences are still as good as ever and there is plenty of shit to miss even if you're a maticulous searcher like I usually am. That's a rather nice plus in the game to me and ups the chances of replaying the game in the future.

The frame skipping I was experiencing in the early first disk seems to be gone outside of a little bit when you're intro'd into battles and the camera pans over your party. As for loading it hasn't seemed to of really increased since the first disk, so that's good too.

If I were to rate the game so far I'd give it an 8/10. Maybe just a *tad* lower if I gave out decimal ratings. If I were to rate it fun, I'd say I'm enjoying myself thoroghly and would give it a 9/10 on that front. Not quite giving me the epic feeling for me to raise that to a perfect 10.

[quote name='fatbeer']If anybody here on disc two, there is one missable item.
In The City of Saman, you will see Dandy the Crow behind the counter asking for 50 gold. Give him the 50 gold, but do it one hundred times and he will reward you with Awakening Bracelet. This equipment gives you 3 skills slots, a must-have skill for immortals. If you have too much healing or mana potions, he will refund your money. A big no-no since this doesn't tally up towards 100 count. If you accumulate a decent amount of potion throughout the game, go sell them.
[/quote]

Well I find the game pretty easy without it so I don't think it's worth it to go back five hours just to make sure I pick it up. I believe there's another later on that's better but since this is my first playthrough I don't really have any intention on finding out where it is before I finish it. Maybe these types of things should be left in spoilers?

EDIT: Heh, I just found the item you're talking about on disk 3 from a chest. Guess you don't really need to waste time and money on getting it.

This game won't make you like JRPG's. Random Encounters are only annoying in my opinion if they happen every 5 steps. I'm not sure about this game but there is usually something to stop them after a while.

In Final Fantasy 6 there was the Moogle Ring.

This is the first JRPG to do away with a lot of the jokes, and other things that make it a lot less serious then it could be. I like this game because, so far at least, it's actually taking itself seriously. Charecter design is completly unified and you can tell some work went into it. Overall I give this game a 9 so far. Maybe a 10 if it gets a lot better near the end and wraps evreything up well.

The game is good, but the scores it has gotten are all right around what I would give it. The battle system leaves something to be desired and the intros into the battles are a bit too long. You lack the ability to outfit your characters in armor and the battle system lacks a limit break like attack element. I am liking the ring system though.

The games story and the dreams are what really shine here. The characters are all really good too. Jensen is hilarious. Mack is just a tad annoying with his overly whiny voice though. However when it comes to character annoyance Beat, from Eternal Sonata, totally trumps him.

[quote name='halfbent']The battle intros are only so long because they "hide" the loading times. Unfortunate, but it had to be done somehow I guess.[/QUOTE]

From what I've seen, though, it's definitely bearable. The low encounter rates balances it out.

[quote name='FrankySox']Question for those of you who have this game....Does it have a world map or is exploration pretty limited?[/quote]

World map is a point and click system. You see the map, pick a point, and then go to it instantly. Then you pretty much go through that area and at the end you're at the world map again.

bread's done
Back