Lost Odyssey - Gen. Discussion & Info

Yeah, I try to save every time I see a save point.

Sometimes my 360 will freeze and I hadn't saved and it will piss me off but it's usually just an hour at most.

Losing four hours would probably make me want to never play again, but really, you should have saved. :D

[quote name='sleepy180']fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck...

Word of advise people. Save as often as you can.

I just died on disc 4 while exploring everything and getting all the treasures and little things i missed. My last save was about 4 hours ago. fuck. all over again. i dont even feel like playing now. fucking shit.[/quote]

Damn thats terrible, I've lost much less than 4 hours and shelved a game and never played it again.

For those of you (like me) angry with the piss-poor packaging, I just ordered a few of these. It's a shame they're not available in green, but at least the discs are held securely (and seperately) and you can still fit the instruction manual in there, unlike some multi-cases.

[quote name='sleepy180']fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck...

Word of advise people. Save as often as you can.

I just died on disc 4 while exploring everything and getting all the treasures and little things i missed. My last save was about 4 hours ago. fuck. all over again. i dont even feel like playing now. fucking shit.[/QUOTE]
Think that's bad? Before Lunar came out they released a demo where you could play and then resume from the end of the demo. Now in the demo you could give a certain item to another character to hold to free up space. In the actual game you can't trade this item. So I traded the item in the demo, and continued from there after I got the retail game.

I beat the final boss only to realize I then need the item I traded, and since it's not supposed to be traded the other character won't give it back to me. I had to start the entire game over from the beginning...

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Think that's bad? Before Lunar came out they released a demo where you could play and then resume from the end of the demo. Now in the demo you could give a certain item to another character to hold to free up space. In the actual game you can't trade this item. So I traded the item in the demo, and continued from there after I got the retail game.

I beat the final boss only to realize I then need the item I traded, and since it's not supposed to be traded the other character won't give it back to me. I had to start the entire game over from the beginning...[/QUOTE]

Oh shit, that's bad. :bomb:

[quote name='Moxio']Rei, how long were you into the game?[/QUOTE]
I had beaten the last boss. I believe Lunar was about 30-35 hours long. So yeah... I actually cried if I remember correctly.

[quote name='io']Ah, JRPGs really aren't his thing so he sort of parroted the CV that it is a decent RPG that does nothing to advance the genre, whatever that means. He was basically just summarizing the general feel of the reviews. I always have to remember to ignore most people's negativity on RPGs (and likewise downplay their positivity on FPS and other shooters) to suit my own tastes.[/quote]

Geez, that's like saying Crysis or Gears of War, or Half Life 2 or something is nothing new. :D I mean sure they're evolutionary, but...
other than having the best writing I've seen in a Japanese RPG, I suppose the best graphics, and some interesting streamlining ideas...

I am somewhat surprised the review scores for this game average less than 80 (something he mentioned as support for the point that it is a good but not great game) but that's neither here nor there ;).

Yeah, I really do think a lot of established franchises get higher scores than they deserve, so scores aren't directly comparable. (ie Zelda, Metal Gear, Halo, etc.)

Edit - Interesting little quirk on Metacritic right now:

103 Blue Dragon 2007 79
104 Lost Odyssey 2008 78

Lazy reviewers who just give JRPGs good-but-not-great scores? I dunno... IMO instead of those being the 103rd and 104th best 360 games they are two of my favorite - I just thought it was wierd they were right next to each other though. Eternal Sonata ALSO has a 79 rating but is listed at 93rd for some reason (it isn't alphabetical so I don't know how they rank when things are tied like that). Actually there's a hell of a lot of games with 79 scores strangely enough.

That's weird. Personally I can see Blue Dragon-to me it's good, but it's kind of on the level of Final Fantasy 5 (very similar to FF5 IMO). But Lost Odyssey? I can't think of a single better exclusive on the system (not that I can actually think of very many exclusives...)

Its a niche game. And its got the dreaded title of JRPG. Of course people aren't going to give it a fair score. Thats just how it goes.

[quote name='Wolfpup']But Lost Odyssey? I can't think of a single better exclusive on the system (not that I can actually think of very many exclusives...)[/quote]

You can't think of very many 360 exclusives? Really? There's been an avalanche of them since launch. Maybe you're getting your systems confused.

[quote name='ThatDamnDave']You can't think of very many 360 exclusives? Really? There's been an avalanche of them since launch. Maybe you're getting your systems confused.[/QUOTE]

Well, there's Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo. I suppose Halo 3 will be a fairly long "timed" exclusive. But I can't think of anything else off hand. There's probably stuff I'm not remembering, but I wouldn't call a handful of games an "avalanche".

[quote name='sleepy180']Its a niche game. And its got the dreaded title of JRPG. Of course people aren't going to give it a fair score. Thats just how it goes.[/QUOTE]

You're probably right, but geez, I have a hard time thinking of the new big game from Sakaguchi as being "niche" :lol:

Hi everybody.
I just wanted to help some of you who are using the prima official strategy guide. Like Hohez said, there are some missing indications inside, to get the Treasure Love achievement.
So I used the japanese official guide to find them, which is a lot more precise as soon as treasures are concerned.
I took some pictures of the treasures which are not mentionned inside the US guide (please excuse the poor quality of the pictures ^^" ; it's still good enough to see the important points) :

One is inside the Uhra Sewers ; if you look on the second map (on the bottom right corner), you can see that there is a passage leading to the secret cave of Gongora, and there is a treasure inside which is not refered in the US guide, actually I was missing this one to get the achievement).

RotationofIMG_0203.jpg

Other one is inside theBurning Cave (near the real entrance) as Hohez mentionned it. There's also the tips with the roling boulder in the Crimson Forest of course and the collector in Numara, but I don't know if this count for the achievement (actually I doubt it).

And to finish, here is a complete map of the items you can find under the sea with the Nautilus :

RotationofIMG_0202.jpg

>Hohez : don't worry with the Money Money story, I didn't open the two chests with 1 gold inside (I fought the boss immediately without noticing it was optionnal ^^"), and I got the achievement anyway.
Concerning the other treasures, if you follow the Prima guide very carefully, you can't miss anything else ! ^^

I hope i could help a little, I couldn't resist to share the informations when I saw Hohez so desperate ^_-.

Ahh, I appreciate all the help X-Fab, but i have all of those already. :)

The secret cave in the sewer is listed in the guide...page 129, and the seabed I have had all of for quite a while now since overall i spent around 5 hours searching it.

I've given up at this point. 980/1000 is just going to have to do until i come back to it later on and try again. To keep things organized in the big areas, i even made a checklist to make sure i didn't over look them.

I'm sure it got bugged somewhere somehow, since I have gone through every area 3 times minimum, and there is nothing left to check.

Wow, that sucks hohez... I've been going back to old areas and I've been finding TONS of treasures. I don't see how I can possibly get this achievement when I've missed so much. But then I'm not using any kind of guide beyond what I've read on various forums.

A couple of questions:

What do you get for the magical measurement sidequest? (where you set up the orb thingies)

I've read elsewhere that there is no "point of no return" like in most RPG's. Does that mean I can finish and then continue to search for things, do the optional bosses, the backyard, etc? I don't want to slog through a long ending only to find out I need to go to an old save or start a New Game +.

As for the backyard (middle class):
I can't make it through Tolten's solo mission. Any tips? Or do I just need to level him up more (he's about 45 or so). I've tried it with the anti-poison accessory (since the guy hits for massive poison damage) and the Max HP Up 4 accessory (adds a lot of HP but the poison negates it). In both cases he gets wiped out while only getting 4-5 474 HP hits on the other guy. Also, on the last one the FAQ I read says to use only All-Flara and All-Flarus spells. Well, I do that and I don't get 3 stars. Do you also have to beat them before they explode (no mention of this in the FAQ)? I've got 4 people doing the spells and I don't quite finish them off before they explode. I guess I could use 5, but that really hoses up my skill setup ;).

There is a point of no return.

The game lies to you about it twice, but it's there.

The orb sidequest is from the Grand Staff construction. One of the workers there in the lab, I believe.

[quote name='zewone']There is a point of no return.

The game lies to you about it twice, but it's there.

The orb sidequest is from the Grand Staff construction. One of the workers there in the lab, I believe.[/QUOTE]

What I had read in the other forum was that the game says there is but it only means for the one dungeon or something and the guy said you can always go back to do other stuff. Is that wrong then?

And about the orb, I know where it is - already started it. I was wondering what you get out of it since it is never mentioned on any list of sidequests or treasure trove achievment lists.

[quote name='io']
A couple of questions:

What do you get for the magical measurement sidequest? (where you set up the orb thingies)[/quote]

I think it was just some ring components. I don't remember what exactly they were, but I don't think it was anything all that great.

As for the backyard (middle class):
I can't make it through Tolten's solo mission. Any tips? Or do I just need to level him up more (he's about 45 or so). I've tried it with the anti-poison accessory (since the guy hits for massive poison damage) and the Max HP Up 4 accessory (adds a lot of HP but the poison negates it). In both cases he gets wiped out while only getting 4-5 474 HP hits on the other guy. Also, on the last one the FAQ I read says to use only All-Flara and All-Flarus spells. Well, I do that and I don't get 3 stars. Do you also have to beat them before they explode (no mention of this in the FAQ)? I've got 4 people doing the spells and I don't quite finish them off before they explode. I guess I could use 5, but that really hoses up my skill setup ;).
For the Tolten only fight - try using an HP absorb ring and the anti-poison accessory. Hopefully you'll be able to get enough HP from the absorb effect to survive.

For the bomb fight - I think the 3 star requirement was that you had to beat them within 2 turns, so if they're exploding after that then you don't get 3 stars.

Ok so i finally played again after that horrible backtracking and now i have a question. I just (Disk 4 spoilers)
did the whole gangora's secret lab part, and then i did the eastern ruins thing where you get the rock for the ship. Now i can go anywhere. I also just did that minigame with those giant arthrasaurus's. Now, i dont want to advance the plot anymore. I just want to do some sidequests. I went to numera atoll because i heard there was a holy beast there that dropped a +10 skill item.

How do i get the harp to call him out? And where is the place i should avoid so that i dont advance the plot? Am i close to the end of the game? I really dont want to finish the game by accident without doing all the sidequests.

thanks

[quote name='sleepy180']Ok so i finally played again after that horrible backtracking and now i have a question. I just (Disk 4 spoilers)
did the whole gangora's secret lab part, and then i did the eastern ruins thing where you get the rock for the ship. Now i can go anywhere. I also just did that minigame with those giant arthrasaurus's. Now, i dont want to advance the plot anymore. I just want to do some sidequests. I went to numera atoll because i heard there was a holy beast there that dropped a +10 skill item.

How do i get the harp to call him out? And where is the place i should avoid so that i dont advance the plot? Am i close to the end of the game? I really dont want to finish the game by accident without doing all the sidequests.

thanks[/quote]

You need to advance the plot through the next area to get what you're wanting as that's where it's basically located.

[quote name='Draekon']You need to advance the plot through the next area to get what you're wanting as that's where it's basically located.[/QUOTE]

Well, if the next area is
Numara I didn't see no harp. Where is this thing? I'd like the +10 slot dealie, too, especially considering my immortals are maxed out on equipment learning (ie, I have no more things for them to learn so it seems like a waste to go into fights).

As for other things to do after where you were, sleepy180, there are a lot of things you can do up in the northern part of the world without advancing the plot.
I used the White Boa to break through 3 ice areas up there to get to the glowing spots and none of them were plot-related: the Northern Ice Field area (Blue Dragon), Forgotten Cave (Cave Worm), and the Pirate Fortress. I also went down to the Terrace Cavern and took care of Money-Money and the several treasures including a music score in there I had missed earlier :)roll: - how I will ever get the Treasure Trove ach I have no idea when I miss stuff like that). I did make sure to get the 2 1G chests though other boards say it isn't necessary.

I have another question. I had a Trooky in the Ancient Ruins steal an item. Then I played through to the end of that and never got it back. Now I'm reading that you need to fight a Trooky Queen there? WTF!? I went all over that place (so I thought) and never saw her. Any ideas where the hell she is? The item wasn't important (as every immortal had already learned the skill) but it seems this queen might drop an item I need and possibly there are treasures near her I didn't find.

[quote name='io']Well, if the next area is
Numara I didn't see no harp. Where is this thing? I'd like the +10 slot dealie, too, especially considering my immortals are maxed out on equipment learning (ie, I have no more things for them to learn so it seems like a waste to go into fights).
[/quote]

Specifically it's on
The White Boa

[quote name='sleepy180']Where is the white boa?[/QUOTE]

You said you did the arthrosaur minigame. It is pretty much right after that - head to the Numara port. It is a story item but one you need to do to get to optional stuff. Oh, maybe you need to go to Numara castle first, actually:
One of the toughest boss battles I've had all game - worse than the first one even, happens there with Kakanas
. I have no idea what Draekon is talking about because I've been all over the White Boa including the room with the
harp
but I couldn't do anything with it (??).

[quote name='io']I have no idea what Draekon is talking about because I've been all over the White Boa including the room with the
harp
but I couldn't do anything with it (??).[/quote]

Did you try doing it when you were alone were alone or did you do it when you had everyone with you? You need
Jansen and Ming
for the scene to take place if I remember correctly. Just walk in there with everyone available.

[quote name='Draekon']Did you try doing it when you were alone were alone or did you do it when you had everyone with you? You need
Jansen and Ming
for the scene to take place.[/QUOTE]

Ah, it could be I went in there when I just had control of Jansen - I explored the White Boa thoroughly with him before triggering the (huge spoiler)
love scene with Ming
. I kind of figured I was done with it at that point.

Just finished the first disc in only 11hrs, and I don't understand how that little content could only fit on one Dual layer disc ...

[quote name='danked']Just finished the first disc in only 11hrs, and I don't understand how that little content could only fit on one Dual layer disc ...[/QUOTE]

It is kind of surprising. I'm 19.5 hours in and expect to be on disc 2 soon.

Well for comparison, the first disk of FFVIII took me just over 10 hours to finish. I would guess all the prerendered stuff would kill alot of space.

[quote name='slavefive']It is kind of surprising. I'm 19.5 hours in and expect to be on disc 2 soon.[/QUOTE]

20 hours on the first disc!?!? that's crazy

[quote name='FrankySox']20 hours on the first disc!?!? that's crazy[/QUOTE]

MY BAD! :) I meant disc 3. I got to disc 2 at 12.5 hours (or close to that).

[quote name='slavefive']MY BAD! :) I meant disc 3. I got to disc 2 at 12.5 hours (or close to that).[/QUOTE]

You must be skipping a lot of things.

[quote name='zewone']You must be skipping a lot of things.[/QUOTE]

Actually, i'm not. I'm playing through on my own, but checking the guide as I finish an area and I'm right on. Haven't missed a thing yet (once again, going through on my own, then checking the guide).

I was around 10-14 hours on disc 1 also. Somewhere in there. I'm NOT using a guide (except once when I needed help with something), and am just exploring the game on my own.

So far I've spent 78 hours on the game or so (in game clock, of course actual time is more). I'm almost complete with the game's achievements (missing 5 achievements, and I know exactly what they are), and damn, this is one good game. The most depressing thing so far has been the length of the biggest sidequest dungeon, but other than that any complaint of mine is pretty minor.

I'm about to start the temple of enlightenment. can anyone give me a rough estimate of how long it will take me to get to the next save point, or finish it? I keep hearing its hella long, and i wont start it unless i know i got a grip of free time to do it.

[quote name='sleepy180']I'm about to start the temple of enlightenment. can anyone give me a rough estimate of how long it will take me to get to the next save point, or finish it? I keep hearing its hella long, and i wont start it unless i know i got a grip of free time to do it.[/QUOTE]

I'm at exactly the same point. I actually started it really late last night and when I went in and saw all those flippable platforms and very long random encounter fights I just snagged a few chests and backed out and saved at the start. I'll be at it again tonight - I think I'll probably print out a FAQ for it as it is not my idea of fun slogging through a puzzle-dungeon with random encounters interrupting me every 20-30 seconds. I tend to forget where I need to go during the fights and end up backtracking and running into even more random encounters.

Here's what appears to be a pretty complete description of how to get all the items in the Temple (from here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/928334/51920). I left out the boss part because I like to hit those without spoilers:
ITEM CHECK: Do you have Enchanter's Mask from Audun in [Saman]? Go get it,
you'll spare yourself a trip later.

[Temple of Enlightenment / Exterior]

Final bonus area of the game, and also the hardest. Enemies in previous
dungeons were a laugh compared to foes you'll meet here. Some have even more HP
that many of the bosses you vanquished so far.

Ride platforms around to nail two CHESTs (NR189, NR190) for SLOT SEED (33/48),
6x JEWEL OF WISDOM, then exit N.

[Temple of Enlightenment / The Square of Eternity]

Ugh, this is gonna be super complicated. Notice the red blocks scattered here
and there? When you step on one of these, a sphere will pop out - operate the
sphere to have part of the area turn, thus giving or blocking you access
further. I'll be using blocks as directions - so "8 N" would mean "take 8
blocks in N direction". Also, blocks with chests on it will be counted as well,
so take that into account. Let's begin!

8N, 4W, 9N, 10W, you're on red block, operate the sphere twice, 2S, ride the
platform down, 2S, 7E, 2S, kick CHEST (NR191) for 6x FORBIDDEN EXPLOSIVE, turn
around, 2N, 7W, 2N, ride the platform up, 2N, you're on red block, operate the
sphere twice, 3E, 2S, ride the platform up.

1N, 3W, 4S, ride the platform down, 7S, 7E, 6N, kick CHEST (NR192) for
6x SPENT MAGIC ENGINE, turn around, 6S, 7W. Further W is solid ground, and I
can't guide you by block-counting - go W, and ride the platform up, step off,
turn W, kick CHEST (NR193) for GRAVESTONE OF FEAR.

Turn E and walk past platform - solid ground ends, block counting again, 5E,
1S, you're on red block, operate the sphere, 1N, 9E, 2S, 12E, ride the platform
down, 2N, 1W, 5N, 1W, 5N, you're on red block, operate the sphere, 13W, 1N,
kick CHEST (NR194) for SLOT SEED (34/48), 1S, 15E, you're on solid ground.

Kick CHEST (NR195) for 3x SEALING STONE, leave solid ground, 3W, you're on red
block, operate the sphere, 6S, 1E, 5S, 1E, 1S, ride the platform up, 12W, 3N,
5E, you're on red block, 14N, 4W, 1N, 4W, 5S, 13W, 5N, 1E, ride the platform
down, 20E, 5N, 7E, you're on red block, operate the sphere, 6S, step on solid
ground, S, nail CHEST (NR196) for 10000G. That was last chest in this area.

Return to the blocks - 6N, you're on red block, 9W, 2N, ride the platform up,
1S, you're on red block, 17W, 3N, step on solid ground, exit W.

[Temple of Enlightenment / The Precipice of Hopelessness]

W, ride the platform up, make sure you step off to W, approach small grey tile
close to N wall so that sphere pops out - operate it to have other nearby
elevator rise up. Ride the elevator back down, then take same elevator up again
- this time step off to E. At the end nail CHEST (NR197) for 5x DEATH POWDER.
Take the elevator back down, continue W, take stairs to S, exit NW.

[Temple of Enlightenment / The Corridor of Timelessness]

Follow the path, operate the sphere on red block to be able to access SSP. From
SSP go like this: 2E, 3N, 4W, 5N, 11E, 3N, take the platform up, 1W, 6N, ride
the platform up, 1W, 5S, 2W, 3N, 4W, 11S, nail CHEST (NR198) with ORICHALCUM,
11N, 4E, 3S, 2E, 5N, 1E, ride the platform down, 6S, you're on red block,
operate the sphere, 4S, 1E, ride the platform up, 1S, 1E, 1S, nail CHEST
(NR199) with 3x STAR ABSORBER, 1N, 1W, 1N, ride the platform down, 10N, ride
the platform up, 1W, 7S, 2E, 2S, 1E, step on solid ground, follow path to CHEST
(NR200) with ANGEL GUARD (Ailment Resistance).

Head back to blocks, but don't step on them just yet - take SE exit.

[Temple of Enlightenment / The Valley of Loneliness]

To W you'll find a ladder - descend it, then take the stairs to SW to find
CHEST (NR201) with KI MAGICAL LOCK KEY. Take the ladder back up and waltz E
where you'll find an out-of-order platform - ram it. That's it, take N exit
back inside.

Return to blocks, 2W, 2N, 2W, 7N, 1E, ride the platform down, 6S, 1E, ride the
platform down, 3S, 11W, 5S, 5E, step on solid ground (save at SSP if you want),
follow the path and take E exit.

Follow the path, walk down two sets of stairs, then examine three small grey
tiles along N side to activate three platforms, return E upstairs, take E exit.

Follow the path, and it's blocks time - 6W, 5N, 11E, 3N, ride the platform up,
1W, 6N, ride the platform up, 1W, 7S, 2E, 2S, 2E, step on solid ground, exit
SE.

Descend the ladder, and walk all the way E (you couldn't before because we
didn't activate the platforms) to collect KI JASPER OF LONELINESS. Return to
the ladder, climb it and exit N.

Return to blocks, 2W, 2N, 2W, 7N, 1E, ride the platform down, 6S, you're on red
block, operate the sphere, 1E, ride the platform down, 3S, 14W, 3N, 4W, 3N, 4E,
ride the platform up, 6W, 2S, 1E, 3S, 2E, 2N, you're on red block, operate the
sphere, 1N, 10E, 4N, 3E, 3N, 3W, 3N, you're on red block, operate the sphere,
3E, 2N, ride the platform up.

1N, 3W, 8S, 4W, 3S, 9W, 2S, ride the platform down, 1E, 3S, 2E, 2N, you're on
red block, operate the sphere, 2S, 2W, 3N, 1W, ride the platform up, 1S, 2W,
step on solid ground, check SW room for CHEST (NR202) which contains
6x CAPE OF ILLUSIONS, take nearby exit.

Walk W across the platform we raised before, descend the ladder, W, collest
KI EMERALD OF DESPAIR, climb the ladder, exit N.

Blocks time - 4E, 1N, ride the platform up, 1E, 5N, step on solid ground. Loop
across the room to N side, where you'll find an altar. Examine it and put down
both Emerald and Jasper. A platform will appear behind you, though do not take
it just yet. Make way to NE room, where you'll find CHEST (NR203) containing
GODLY DRAGON TEARS.

Go save your game down below, if you desire.

Step on blocks directly S from the altar, go 4 blocks S to step on red block,
operate the sphere, and you can board the platform that appeared.

[Temple of Enlightenment / The Altar of Truth]

Go N for a scene...

[quote name='io']I'm at exactly the same point. I actually started it really late last night and when I went in and saw all those flippable platforms and very long random encounter fights I just snagged a few chests and backed out and saved at the start. I'll be at it again tonight - I think I'll probably print out a FAQ for it as it is not my idea of fun slogging through a puzzle-dungeon with random encounters interrupting me every 20-30 seconds. I tend to forget where I need to go during the fights and end up backtracking and running into even more random encounters.

Here's what appears to be a pretty complete description of how to get all the items in the Temple (from here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/928334/51920). I left out the boss part because I like to hit those without spoilers:
ITEM CHECK: Do you have Enchanter's Mask from Audun in [Saman]? Go get it,
you'll spare yourself a trip later.

[Temple of Enlightenment / Exterior]

Final bonus area of the game, and also the hardest. Enemies in previous
dungeons were a laugh compared to foes you'll meet here. Some have even more HP
that many of the bosses you vanquished so far.

Ride platforms around to nail two CHESTs (NR189, NR190) for SLOT SEED (33/48),
6x JEWEL OF WISDOM, then exit N.

[Temple of Enlightenment / The Square of Eternity]

Ugh, this is gonna be super complicated. Notice the red blocks scattered here
and there? When you step on one of these, a sphere will pop out - operate the
sphere to have part of the area turn, thus giving or blocking you access
further. I'll be using blocks as directions - so "8 N" would mean "take 8
blocks in N direction". Also, blocks with chests on it will be counted as well,
so take that into account. Let's begin!

8N, 4W, 9N, 10W, you're on red block, operate the sphere twice, 2S, ride the
platform down, 2S, 7E, 2S, kick CHEST (NR191) for 6x FORBIDDEN EXPLOSIVE, turn
around, 2N, 7W, 2N, ride the platform up, 2N, you're on red block, operate the
sphere twice, 3E, 2S, ride the platform up.

1N, 3W, 4S, ride the platform down, 7S, 7E, 6N, kick CHEST (NR192) for
6x SPENT MAGIC ENGINE, turn around, 6S, 7W. Further W is solid ground, and I
can't guide you by block-counting - go W, and ride the platform up, step off,
turn W, kick CHEST (NR193) for GRAVESTONE OF FEAR.

Turn E and walk past platform - solid ground ends, block counting again, 5E,
1S, you're on red block, operate the sphere, 1N, 9E, 2S, 12E, ride the platform
down, 2N, 1W, 5N, 1W, 5N, you're on red block, operate the sphere, 13W, 1N,
kick CHEST (NR194) for SLOT SEED (34/48), 1S, 15E, you're on solid ground.

Kick CHEST (NR195) for 3x SEALING STONE, leave solid ground, 3W, you're on red
block, operate the sphere, 6S, 1E, 5S, 1E, 1S, ride the platform up, 12W, 3N,
5E, you're on red block, 14N, 4W, 1N, 4W, 5S, 13W, 5N, 1E, ride the platform
down, 20E, 5N, 7E, you're on red block, operate the sphere, 6S, step on solid
ground, S, nail CHEST (NR196) for 10000G. That was last chest in this area.

Return to the blocks - 6N, you're on red block, 9W, 2N, ride the platform up,
1S, you're on red block, 17W, 3N, step on solid ground, exit W.

W, ride the platform up, make sure you step off to W, approach small grey tile
close to N wall so that sphere pops out - operate it to have other nearby
elevator rise up. Ride the elevator back down, then take same elevator up again
- this time step off to E. At the end nail CHEST (NR197) for 5x DEATH POWDER.
Take the elevator back down, continue W, take stairs to S, exit NW.

Follow the path, operate the sphere on red block to be able to access SSP. From
SSP go like this: 2E, 3N, 4W, 5N, 11E, 3N, take the platform up, 1W, 6N, ride
the platform up, 1W, 5S, 2W, 3N, 4W, 11S, nail CHEST (NR198) with ORICHALCUM,
11N, 4E, 3S, 2E, 5N, 1E, ride the platform down, 6S, you're on red block,
operate the sphere, 4S, 1E, ride the platform up, 1S, 1E, 1S, nail CHEST
(NR199) with 3x STAR ABSORBER, 1N, 1W, 1N, ride the platform down, 10N, ride
the platform up, 1W, 7S, 2E, 2S, 1E, step on solid ground, follow path to CHEST
(NR200) with ANGEL GUARD (Ailment Resistance).

Head back to blocks, but don't step on them just yet - take SE exit.

To W you'll find a ladder - descend it, then take the stairs to SW to find
CHEST (NR201) with KI MAGICAL LOCK KEY. Take the ladder back up and waltz E
where you'll find an out-of-order platform - ram it. That's it, take N exit
back inside.

Return to blocks, 2W, 2N, 2W, 7N, 1E, ride the platform down, 6S, 1E, ride the
platform down, 3S, 11W, 5S, 5E, step on solid ground (save at SSP if you want),
follow the path and take E exit.

Follow the path, walk down two sets of stairs, then examine three small grey
tiles along N side to activate three platforms, return E upstairs, take E exit.

Follow the path, and it's blocks time - 6W, 5N, 11E, 3N, ride the platform up,
1W, 6N, ride the platform up, 1W, 7S, 2E, 2S, 2E, step on solid ground, exit
SE.

Descend the ladder, and walk all the way E (you couldn't before because we
didn't activate the platforms) to collect KI JASPER OF LONELINESS. Return to
the ladder, climb it and exit N.

Return to blocks, 2W, 2N, 2W, 7N, 1E, ride the platform down, 6S, you're on red
block, operate the sphere, 1E, ride the platform down, 3S, 14W, 3N, 4W, 3N, 4E,
ride the platform up, 6W, 2S, 1E, 3S, 2E, 2N, you're on red block, operate the
sphere, 1N, 10E, 4N, 3E, 3N, 3W, 3N, you're on red block, operate the sphere,
3E, 2N, ride the platform up.

1N, 3W, 8S, 4W, 3S, 9W, 2S, ride the platform down, 1E, 3S, 2E, 2N, you're on
red block, operate the sphere, 2S, 2W, 3N, 1W, ride the platform up, 1S, 2W,
step on solid ground, check SW room for CHEST (NR202) which contains
6x CAPE OF ILLUSIONS, take nearby exit.

Walk W across the platform we raised before, descend the ladder, W, collest
KI EMERALD OF DESPAIR, climb the ladder, exit N.

Blocks time - 4E, 1N, ride the platform up, 1E, 5N, step on solid ground. Loop
across the room to N side, where you'll find an altar. Examine it and put down
both Emerald and Jasper. A platform will appear behind you, though do not take
it just yet. Make way to NE room, where you'll find CHEST (NR203) containing
GODLY DRAGON TEARS.

Go save your game down below, if you desire.

Step on blocks directly S from the altar, go 4 blocks S to step on red block,
operate the sphere, and you can board the platform that appeared.

[Temple of Enlightenment / The Altar of Truth]

Go N for a scene...
[/QUOTE]

very awesome. Thanks man.

Also, http://www.wikicheats.com/index.php/Lost_Odyssey_(XB360)/Sidequests is a pretty useful link if you really want to cheat. I figured out that dungeon the hard way...I probably spent ~5 hours my first time in that Temple going all around, with an overnight pause because I got sick of the random encounters.

I have an even worse task atm though...I can't figure out where the last seed is for the life of me (I'm at 98 seeds). I went back and forth to all of the seed locations from the FAQ, and I still can't figure out what seed I didn't get. It's so depressing spending hours looking around and not being able to figure out where the last seed is since I didn't use an FAQ for it until the very end of the game.

[quote name='King Bahamut']Also, http://www.wikicheats.com/index.php/Lost_Odyssey_(XB360)/Sidequests is a pretty useful link if you really want to cheat. I figured out that dungeon the hard way...I probably spent ~5 hours my first time in that Temple going all around, with an overnight pause because I got sick of the random encounters.

I have an even worse task atm though...I can't figure out where the last seed is for the life of me (I'm at 98 seeds). I went back and forth to all of the seed locations from the FAQ, and I still can't figure out what seed I didn't get. It's so depressing spending hours looking around and not being able to figure out where the last seed is since I didn't use an FAQ for it until the very end of the game.[/QUOTE]

I haven't been using a FAQ for most of the game but I want to avoid just what you went through ;). As for the seeds, I'm 4 short... That's pretty frustrating as I've been pretty damn thorough. I'm sure I'm missing tons of other things for the elusive Treasure Trove achievement.

I didn't use a guide in the Temple of Enlightenment.

My god, it was insane.

I went from level 50-82 on my way from the bottom, to the top, to the bottom.

Well, I'm glad I used the FAQ because it STILL took me about 5 hours. Any longer and I would have thrown my controller through the TV. The biggest problem was finding my damn way out! The FAQ gets you to the end but just says to "get out" afterwards - I assumed that would be automatic. But NO, I had to backtrack and went the wrong way several times. Then I started to get random encounters every 5-6 blocks! It was like they increased a ton after the boss - very annoying.

Anyway, I certainly hope I got everything out of there because I never want to go back again. Afterwards I went to the Backyard and didn't get the Super Heavy Class unlocked. It was my misunderstanding that you needed to do the ToE to get everything past Middle class. But looking through the FAQ more thoroughly it seems you get these "Magical Keys" in 3 different places and only 1 is in the ToE. I'm 99% sure I got the one there which means I must have missed one somewhere else, probably in the Secret Cave though I don't see how... Oh well, I have to backtrack and find the damn last 4 seeds anyway - I assumed at least 1 or 2 would be in the ToE but I was wrong - that place was devoid of any decent items except for the last spell (which was all I needed - snagged me that achievement anyway). I have my immortals with nearly every skill learned but of course I need all the seeds to get that last stupid item from the pipots - then I can get all 4 of those achievements. Since I'm so far along with it I might as well finish the damn things. I'll probably end up skipping the Treasure Trove one though. However, I did check out the Auction house and there was nothing new there (it was closed) and the last time I was there was when it was first available - so it seems Ive been more thorough since about 1/3 into the game. It is all those early area where I was sloppy though and where my missing seeds probably still are.

You still have to unlock & beat the Immortal with the secret condition in the Backyard for a godly skill for the immortals too. Two of the keys can be found somewhere in the Secret Cave area, and the Great Ancient Ruins too (I hated that place so much too).

Also, the Temple had an Orichalcum - if you give it to the weaponsmith who appears near the south side of the Ipsilon Mountains in Disc 4 sometime, you can get the second best weapon in the game, specialized for Kaim or for Seth (you have to choose).

Well, I found that last key (it was the one in the secret cave in a completely hidden passage - playing without a FAQ or guide you'd never find that!). I finished the backyard up to the immortal who I got more than halfway beat before he killed me. I decided it would be better to go look for the last seeds and level up a bit more before trying him again.

So, I was missing 4 seeds - again, not playing with a guide or FAQ I decided to use a FAQ to see if I could figure out which ones I would have likely missed. The first one I noticed was in Uhra in one of the flip-top black kicking things in the area near the Tavern where a bunch of people are looking up at a screen. For whatever reason I didn't think I had done that one - sure enough, that sucker is perfectly camouflaged up against a light pole. It is nearly impossible to see and unless you slide in front of all the people you never see the "Kick" show up. Then I saw that there were 2 seeds on the facade of the Numara palace. WTF? I went back there and hidden at the far left and far right were apples that are blocked from pretty much every view you have. Wow, so that was 2 more right there.

So now I'm down to needing 1 damn seed, and I have no idea where this last one is. So I have to go through the whole list and check off ones I know for sure I have (very few that I'm 100% sure about) and then visit all the rest of the areas and hope the sometimes vague descriptions are enough to find that last one... Man, what a pain. But I need that last stupid seed to free up 5 achievements so I might as well. I guess I'll print off a list from here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/928334/51931 and go through it one-by-one...

Looks like the February NPD numbers are out. And look who got #7 with 203k sold in US.

Top 10 SW

360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE* ACTIVISION 7-Nov 296.2K 1
360 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 295.2K 2
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA 7-Feb 289.7K 3
PS3 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 233.5K 4
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK* ACTIVISION 7-Oct 222.9K 5
NDS MARIO AND SONIC: OLYMPIC GAMES SEGA OF AMERICA 8-Jan 205.6K 6
360 LOST ODYSSEY MICROSOFT 8-Feb 203.6K 7
360 TUROK TOUCHSTONE 8-Jan 197.7K 8
PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK* ACTIVISION 7-Oct 183.8K 9
360 ROCK BAND* MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS 7-Nov 161.8K 10

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']To put 200k for Lost Odyssey in perspective:

As of Dec '07:

Blue Dragon - 114k
Eternal Sonata - 70k

Hell, you could probably throw Enchanted Arms in there and still have LO selling more than all 3 combined.

[/QUOTE]

This is good news my friends, for us 360 RPG lovers.

[quote name='io']Well, I found that last key (it was the one in the secret cave in a completely hidden passage - playing without a FAQ or guide you'd never find that!). I finished the backyard up to the immortal who I got more than halfway beat before he killed me. I decided it would be better to go look for the last seeds and level up a bit more before trying him again.

So, I was missing 4 seeds - again, not playing with a guide or FAQ I decided to use a FAQ to see if I could figure out which ones I would have likely missed. The first one I noticed was in Uhra in one of the flip-top black kicking things in the area near the Tavern where a bunch of people are looking up at a screen. For whatever reason I didn't think I had done that one - sure enough, that sucker is perfectly camouflaged up against a light pole. It is nearly impossible to see and unless you slide in front of all the people you never see the "Kick" show up. Then I saw that there were 2 seeds on the facade of the Numara palace. WTF? I went back there and hidden at the far left and far right were apples that are blocked from pretty much every view you have. Wow, so that was 2 more right there.

So now I'm down to needing 1 damn seed, and I have no idea where this last one is. So I have to go through the whole list and check off ones I know for sure I have (very few that I'm 100% sure about) and then visit all the rest of the areas and hope the sometimes vague descriptions are enough to find that last one... Man, what a pain. But I need that last stupid seed to free up 5 achievements so I might as well. I guess I'll print off a list from here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/928334/51931 and go through it one-by-one...[/quote]

I printed out that FAQ before too, but I still haven't found that damn last seed. As for the Immortal, my recommendation is to use double cast & Divide or Reversa with Kaim & Seth, depending on their HP for which spell to cast. Faster cast rate & mental stability are also musts if you go that route.

As for that key, I actually found it without an FAQ. I didn't need an FAQ for any of those keys. I did need one to find the spells that I somehow missed during the course of the game though.

Well, I spent about 3 hours finding that last seed and finally snagged it. After going to several places using a printed page from a FAQ I finally found it using this site:

http://www.twobrothersandasister.com/?p=1815

This has pictures of EVERY seed location. It turned out I was missing #39 - an apple hanging from a tree in the middle of Canal street in Numara. The "trigger point" for that one is VERY small. Even when I found it I had to run around a bit to get it to actually accept my 'A'. And it isn't like the others where the apple is right on the wall and easy to spot - it is a tree with several apples and one happens to be a seed location. Wow... Without that guide I may never have found it and just assumed my game glitched. I was about to give up - that was pretty much the last place I was going to check. Going off the text FAQ I wasn't sure what they meant and I assumed I got all those apples in NUmara - but once I saw the picture on that site I thought it might be a good candidate. Of course I didn't go there until I checked deep in some of the cave areas and all the underwater locations (which I had apparently all gotten long ago).

After dropping that last seed off with a Pipot, I finished up the last Backyard battle. Then I went to Numara Atoll to rack up SP with the Silver Kelolons so I could bag those 4 skill achievements. Tomorrow night I'll finish the game and end up at 980/1000. In my process of searching for the seeds I didn't find a single other treasure item despite checking all over the place so who knows what I'm missing (if anything) for the Treasure Trove achievement. But since it took me 3 hours to find a seed when the locations of those are well known I don't want to waste even more time trying to find a couple (if not just 1) stupid health items and whatnot. I'll just have to be satisfied with the 980 at least until I can snag a real printed guide - then maybe I'll go through slowly to see if I can find anything else.

[quote name='sleepy180']Looks like the February NPD numbers are out. And look who got #7 with 203k sold in US.

Top 10 SW

360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE* ACTIVISION 7-Nov 296.2K 1
360 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 295.2K 2
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA 7-Feb 289.7K 3
PS3 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 233.5K 4
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK* ACTIVISION 7-Oct 222.9K 5
NDS MARIO AND SONIC: OLYMPIC GAMES SEGA OF AMERICA 8-Jan 205.6K 6
360 LOST ODYSSEY MICROSOFT 8-Feb 203.6K 7
360 TUROK TOUCHSTONE 8-Jan 197.7K 8
PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK* ACTIVISION 7-Oct 183.8K 9
360 ROCK BAND* MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS 7-Nov 161.8K 10

This is good news my friends, for us 360 RPG lovers.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's GREAT news! Those numbers aren't bad at all! I think it's one that could keep selling for a while, at least as a budget title eventually. Hopefully they'll at least recoup their investment on it.

Glad that Sagaguchi's still got it! We may sort of end up with TWO great RPG lines, since Final Fantasy 12 turned out really well even though it's not a real Final Fantasy game, and 13 may be better still.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Wow, that's GREAT news! Those numbers aren't bad at all! I think it's one that could keep selling for a while, at least as a budget title eventually. Hopefully they'll at least recoup their investment on it.

Glad that Sagaguchi's still got it! We may sort of end up with TWO great RPG lines, since Final Fantasy 12 turned out really well even though it's not a real Final Fantasy game, and 13 may be better still.[/quote]

I'm of the opposite view - I despised FF12 with a passion, and they'll have to really revamp the design if they want me to buy another FF game after FF13.

i thought ff12 was VERY good. i think its so different a lot of people were just turned off by it.

im actually playing blue dragon as i type.

bread's done
Back