Madden 10 League-OFFICIAL CAG LEAGUE (Tournament)- LOTS OF TEAMS AVAILABLE!

I'm pro-rule. The holding calls occur with such an absurd frequency that it is hard to call it anything but a bug at this point.

did we advance? or are we still waiting?

edit: also, I don't mind the rule the more I think of it. holding calls in the NFL are pretty rare on FGs anyways. no reason a phantom call that isn't user controlled deciding FGs when it's obviously looking like something that will be patched out eventually.

Hybrid5006, let me know when you're around this week. I'm available this evening before 10:30 pm EST (fantasy draft), but we can figure out something later in the week if today isn't good for you.

RAMSTORIA, let me know when you want to play. Today's not really good for me but I should be free the majority of Tuesday and Wednesday.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Ok so I removed the rule to put it up for discussion.
So if you feel the need to have your opinion heard on accepting field goal holding penalties, go!

Also Matt Young, when can you play?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about tonight 100%, but more than likely, I should be available in the early to mid-evening (Eastern time) today through Wednesday.

[quote name='BigAT']Hopefully I won't even need an absurd play to win this time around. :)[/QUOTE]

This loss still stings. I have even told my current GF about it.

Are you going to extend the game week that happens over the holiday weekend? I know I will be away from Friday till late Monday night and maybe a few other league members also might not be available.

Also Bills owner(neworlbush25) when would you like to play I am available later tonight after 10:00 pm est and pretty much the same times the rest of the week.

[quote name='DT778']RAMSTORIA, let me know when you want to play. Today's not really good for me but I should be free the majority of Tuesday and Wednesday.[/QUOTE]

today, tuesday or wednesday should all work for me. thursday is a big maybe (got a lot of stuff to do to get ready for the trip, but if its the only one we can do i can try to make something work), then ill be out of town camping from friday - monday (labor day). so if we can work out a time for mon - wed that should work for me. i get home from work apprx 7pm PST, so generally anytime after that i can do. ill be gone until monday (labor day) afternoon, so depending on when we advance to week 5 that will be the earliest i can play, just a heads up to my oppenent.

as for the FG rule, i either havent noticed or havent had it happen because i dont see the big deal. holding is a part of the game, but if there is a glitch i understand that can be a problem. anyway, this is just a long way of me saying im impartial on how it pans out.

Other than getting a ton of penalties on extra points, I've had quite a few on field goals too. Here's one example was from a game I was playing online. I kicked a field goal around 50 yards but had it wiped away with a holding penalty. So I tried the kick again and this time it came up way short and was returned for a TD.

Sure holding happens on field goals in real life, but it happens way to much in the game right now. I don't think this should be a permanent rule, since I'm sure EA will be fixing this in one of their patches. I think we should go with it until it is patched and then go back to accepting penalties once it is fixed.

LOL, yeah, the Falcons have the bye this week. You play RAMSTORIA.

Because of the Long weekend, I was still thinking about the deadline. Perhaps Tuesday night? Or is that too long?

My bad. I knew I had the bye this week but my brother said otherwise. Did a quick check on the Falcons website and they didn't have the bye listed so it looked like I played the Niners week 4.

[quote name='lyric706']RAMSTORIA: Am I missing something? I thought we were playing this week (Week 4 49ers vs. Rams).[/QUOTE]

oh ok... i was just going off DTs post. well my schedule remains the same. mon, tue, wed will work best for me after 7pm PST. let me know and we can play as early as tonight.

edit: DT, we play next week, so depending on when the league advances itll probably be next monday for me. if it advances before thursday we can try and squeeze something in before i go camping.

Well, I can probably do late tonight (12, 1 EST) but the rest of the week I'm free as it stands now...I'm pretty open as my job is done and school starts next week.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Well, I can probably do late tonight (12, 1 EST) but the rest of the week I'm free as it stands now...I'm pretty open as my job is done and school starts next week.[/QUOTE]

How about sometime earlier than that tomorrow?

pHi, let me know when you're available. I'll be around the next few nights, but will probably won't be able to play too much Thursday on, well until late Sunday. I may be going to wrestling tomorrow, but should be around late.

I am in favor of a rule requiring people to decline holding penalties on field goals/extra points. It hasn't happened to me in too many online games, but it happens all the time in my offline franchise. It is so bad that I generally go for it on fourth down if a holding penalty will take me out of field goal range. Holding penalties are part of the game, but the rate at which they occur in this game is excessive.

I am also for the declining of the holding penalties on field goals/extra points, they come up way to often to be realistic.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']oh ok... i was just going off DTs post. well my schedule remains the same. mon, tue, wed will work best for me after 7pm PST. let me know and we can play as early as tonight.

edit: DT, we play next week, so depending on when the league advances itll probably be next monday for me. if it advances before thursday we can try and squeeze something in before i go camping.[/QUOTE]

I can probably do Tuesday. I'm on the East Coast but playing late is OK. Maybe around 11:30 my time (8:30 yours)?

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']pHi, let me know when you're available. I'll be around the next few nights, but will probably won't be able to play too much Thursday on, well until late Sunday. I may be going to wrestling tomorrow, but should be around late.[/QUOTE]

The OP on the first page needs to be updated -- I think pHi was replaced by pitfallharry (Bengals) I played him last week.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']Other than getting a ton of penalties on extra points, I've had quite a few on field goals too. Here's one example was from a game I was playing online. I kicked a field goal around 50 yards but had it wiped away with a holding penalty. So I tried the kick again and this time it came up way short and was returned for a TD.
.[/QUOTE]

I am most likely going to be out voted on this which is fine but I will say my peace about it. Not to be a dick Pure but have you ever heard of punting? If a holding call pushed you out of FG range its your fault for thinking you kicker could kick that far, check that stats and realize your kicker cant kick 60 yards or......get closer.

You know why you didnt punt? Because you expected to get 3 points and that is what annoys me about this rule. I hate rules that allow people be lazy on offense and expect points to be handed to them. Yes, I agree fully that there are too many holding calls on FGs (although not as many as you guys think) but like I said FG in madden are embarrassingly easy(I love how everyone completely ignored this fact) to make so there is no reason to ever miss one other than simply being too far away. If that is the case you can do one of two things.....get fucking closer so that the 10 yards doesnt matter or swallow your pride and admit you need to punt the ball away. But I am fully against a rule that makes something that is already ridiculously easy even easier especially when the ultimate solution is based on how good someone is at moving the ball.

If you are that worried about the 10 yard flag you can always call better plays and get closer so it doesnt matter. Not every kicker can kick 50 yard FG.

anyways...

is the Redskins GM going to be filled anytime soon? After Wednesday this week is going to be impossible to play with school/vacation

[quote name='JDMxB']Shinryuu -- let me know when you wanna get our game in[/QUOTE]
Typically available at night, PST, except today cause I have a fantasy football draft.

messaged frankysox for the seattle vs colts game.

As far as the holding calls. I would be for denying them. The reasoning being, its a known glitch, and its not guaranteed to affect everyone 100% equally.. i.e. 1 team can get several holding calls per game and the other team gets none. So in order to keep things equal, just take the glitch out of the scenario.

Calling it a glitch is even a reach. I still dont see why you cant just get closer. 0 to 50 yards is pretty automatic and has been for the last 10 years in madden. Seriously how far away are you guys kicking from where this is a issue?

Apparently everyone has gone to the Oakland Raiders school of Field Goal kicking. 59 yards?!?! Lets go for it.

[quote name='lyric706']I can probably do Tuesday. I'm on the East Coast but playing late is OK. Maybe around 11:30 my time (8:30 yours)?[/QUOTE]

yeah, that should work for me.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Calling it a glitch is even a reach. I still dont see why you cant just get closer. 0 to 50 yards is pretty automatic and has been for the last 10 years in madden. Seriously how far away are you guys kicking from where this is a issue?

Apparently everyone has gone to the Oakland Raiders school of Field Goal kicking. 59 yards?!?! Lets go for it.[/QUOTE]

How about this for a reason: I don't want to sit there and see my opponent kick an extra point three times in a row.

Clearly I said we shouldnt accept more than 1 holding call on a series. I guess you missed that part. Also, who hell gives a damn about extra points? No one even brought them up, we were talking about long field goals.

Come on now.

[quote name='JDMxB']The OP on the first page needs to be updated -- I think pHi was replaced by pitfallharry (Bengals) I played him last week.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.

pitfallharry, if this is the case drop me a line some time.

Ok so sstyler has internet issues, so MSUHitman can take the Redskins.
Can somebody PM him?

Matt, can you play now? Otherwise, earlier tomorrow should be ok.

[quote name='shinryuu']Typically available at night, PST, except today cause I have a fantasy football draft.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good man, same here -- night time, and I have a FF draft tonight (1st) as well.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Thanks for the info.

pitfallharry, if this is the case drop me a line some time.[/QUOTE]

What times are you normally available?

Ok Matt, early evening won't work for me tonight, but if you can do early early during the week (like noon-4 est) that'd be great. If not, we can totally work something out!

[quote name='Azumangaman']Ok Matt, early evening won't work for me tonight, but if you can do early early during the week (like noon-4 est) that'd be great. If not, we can totally work something out![/QUOTE]

That's too early for me. No chance you can play later on any night?

Unfortunately I will be going to PAX this week and be without broadband internet from Sept. 8-19 as I will be traveling to my parents house in southern Illinois where no broadband is available otherwise I'd take the spot in a heartbeat.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Unfortunately I will be going to PAX this week and be without broadband internet from Sept. 8-19 as I will be traveling to my parents house in southern Illinois where no broadband is available otherwise I'd take the spot in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE]

What the fuck is with southern Illinois? I know they have broadband there because I had friend who went to school in Carbondale, but Pure Apathy can't get decent broadband and now this.

lol should I just play vs. the CPU after tonight I probably won't be on long enough to get in a game until maybe Monday.

Sorry, Azu, I missed your last post before that. How late? I'm normally asleep by 10 P.M. Pacific, ndand I stop playing games an hour or two before that. Can't play right now as I am at school, killing time in the library before class.

[quote name='Matt Young']What the fuck is with southern Illinois? I know they have broadband there because I had friend who went to school in Carbondale, but Pure Apathy can't get decent broadband and now this.[/QUOTE]

Thing is Matt if you don't live in one of the major towns (Carbondale, Marion, Herrin, Mt. Vernon, etc.) you're pretty much screwed in regards to broadband. If you live anywhere "in the country" or south of Marion (like my childhood home, the VILLAGE of Buncombe) the only options are dialup or satellite.

When you hear politicians trying to get/force providers to develop broadband nationwide and about areas losing out on economic opportunity because of the lack of broadband, southern Illinois is the prime example of what they're talking about.

Verizon's response has been to offer wireless internet (those labtop style USB dongles) for $60 a month with a 5 GB per month cap.

Most of these issues are because it would cost too much money to get the area properly wired because of the sparse population without a government mandate, much like the electrical mandate of the 30's that forced electricity to be made available to all Americans.

As an example of the sparse population, neither of the high schools (my HS of Goreville and our cross-county rival, Vienna) in my home county (Johnson) had a football team for over 40 years until this year, when they joined to form a dual team. Goreville never had a team, and Vienna quit in the 60's when a player died at practice (my mom was attending at the time.)

Our male HS fall sport was baseball, as our entire athletic conference (South Egyptian Conference) is made up of 8 schools so small (largest is Vienna at around 500 students total) none of them have football teams. All the SEC teams have their homecoming during basketball season. Our conference was the only one in the state that played baseball in the fall.

Another example of how bad off southern Illinois is technology wise, the cable company that services my hometown/village (Galaxy) didn't offer digital cable or PPV until 2006.

bread's done
Back