Madden 11 League-OFFICIAL CAG LEAGUE-That's all folks! Mini-tourney still coming tho!

So I have to ask: BV, Deuce, any other high caliber players...you're having no trouble at all with All Madden on the demo? I gave it a couple goes tonight after killing All Pro and then got equally killed the other way. It's 45-7 me on All Pro and 7-45 them on All-Madden.

I really don't recall ever having anywhere close to this kind of trouble. The CPU is smarter on All Madden, lots more pass deflections and such but they also play like they are on roids. They seem faster and stronger than every one of my players. And on top of that my CPU controlled players are dumber. They will sit in coverage and let a ball fly by them in their zone. Or get beat on a deep throw 10 yards from scrimmage, giving up huge TDs.

On the bright side of things, my offense is being fine-tuned like never before. My o-line gives me no time, so I've been perfecting my shotgun sets. I really like the plays I'm making on offense so I look forward into seeing how they translate.

Hopefully my offensive game translates nicely and my All-Madden defense is never seen in league play.

I'm probably giving away my secrets but whatever... to me, defense on all madden is about filling the hole. Wherever i'm getting beat at, i take control of that position and make a few plays. Usually, the game balances out and i can sit back on my safety but at some point in the game, i always have to step up and take control of the weak point in my defense

After reading all these discussions with uberness and bv and the likes I'm starting to get scared. This is actually my first football game on 360 (as opposed to ps3) and going into the demo I wasnt sure how i was going to react to the different controls. It ended up working out fine but I'm still just an average player so hopefully I can win a few in the league. I'm kind of tempted to buy madden 10 on 360 just to start practicing.

[quote name='gbpackers94']After reading all these discussions with uberness and bv and the likes I'm starting to get scared. This is actually my first football game on 360 (as opposed to ps3) and going into the demo I wasnt sure how i was going to react to the different controls. It ended up working out fine but I'm still just an average player so hopefully I can win a few in the league. I'm kind of tempted to buy madden 10 on 360 just to start practicing.[/QUOTE]

Haha, it's a different game, I would just stick to the demo for now. Or at least it feels different to me. I wouldn't get too worried about the level of competition either. Yes, some of us (I don't normally group myself here) are really great, but no one is unbeatable. BigAT was upset a couple of times last season. Same goes with Deuce. You did put yourself in a tough division though haha, so good luck to you.

To update everyone on my All-Madden exploits: I just lost to the CPU 14-13. :D Feeling good. I took your advice, Deuce. Pretty much me using my D-line was a waste. Too hard to get to Manning. So I've been roaming with my safeties. It seems to be working well in both run support and helping my CBs that get beat.

BTW: I'm going to expect everyone to check in again next Tuesday with an update of if they received the game that day or when they are expecting to receive it. I'm doing this for 2 reasons, 1. to just figure out when we can officially start this thing up and 2. to make sure everyone is keeping up with the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gbpackers94']After reading all these discussions with uberness and bv and the likes I'm starting to get scared. This is actually my first football game on 360 (as opposed to ps3) and going into the demo I wasnt sure how i was going to react to the different controls. It ended up working out fine but I'm still just an average player so hopefully I can win a few in the league. I'm kind of tempted to buy madden 10 on 360 just to start practicing.[/QUOTE]

There are some very good people in the league, I definitely wouldn't put myself into the very top group by any stretch, though I think I can at least give those guys some pretty good games. Plus it's all about matchups. BigAT crushed me, but I gave Deuce some good games and have beaten ubernes a couple times. It's more fun testing yourself against good people than just cruising.

The good thing is we're going to play a ton of seasons, so even if you don't do too well the first one, don't get frustrated and just stick with it, you'll always have a chance to improve in later seasons.

I can't wait to start practicing with my team I wish the game was out now , lol I hope we get the Ravens in the season also , lol. Taylor Mays got something for Joe Flacco , lol

[quote name='ubernes']BTW: I'm going to expect everyone to check in again next Tuesday with an update of if they received the game that day or when they are expecting to receive it. I'm doing this for 2 reasons, 1. to just figure out when we can officially start this thing up and 2. to make sure everyone is keeping up with the forum. [/QUOTE]

I have had the game preordered with release day delivery since 2 months ago, so I'll have it by the evening of the 10th.

gbpackers, I definitely need some practice. I won the NFC North in season 1, went 11-5 in season 2, but fell apart in season 3. I'm pretty mediocre. Plus it'd be nice to get acquainted with a fellow CAG Packers fan.

I'm looking for someone to practice with also when the game comes out, prefferably a player from the opposite conference, since we would be less likely to meet in the season.

The Jets don't meet San Fran this year, so I would be down. I have release day shipping.

\/ i don't meet San Diego this year either, so I could do that also.

[quote name='Matt Young']I have had the game preordered with release day delivery since 2 months ago, so I'll have it by the evening of the 10th.
[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

And I'll be up for warm-up games with anyone, whether they're in my conference or not.

Well I tried the demo out and I see what you guys mean about the tackling/secondary (in All Madden). Peyton Manning would throw some bombs downfield and hit Reggie Wayne wide open with Revis nowhere in sight (somehow). Another time he threw a short pass to Wayne and he literally broke 6 tackles before making it to the end zone. I had no trouble at all winning my games against the CPU in All-Madden last season, but this one seems incredibly difficult to me. I'd still be down to try All-Madden once the league starts though, I think I just need to find the right playbook.

On a side note, my decision whether or not to purchase Madden '11 is basically gonna come down to the initial reviews of the game. Unless they are overwhelmingly subpar, I'm almost for sure gonna buy the game right around release date. If reviews say it's basically just another Madden game, that's good enough for me, but if they say this Madden is a huge step in the wrong direction then I might just hold off on buying it until a really good sale comes up later in the year. I'll let you guys know once I figure it out.

[quote name='ubernes']The Jets don't meet San Fran this year, so I would be down. I have release day shipping.

\/ i don't meet San Diego this year either, so I could do that also.[/QUOTE]

That works I should have the game on the day it comes out by the latest I'm hoping to have it Friday, lol I think we are already friends on xbox live, I'm not sure though If not Ill add you when I get home tonight.

I'm friends with mostly everyone here on XBL, but I'll have to friend some of the new guys soon.

MasterAwesome, deep passes seem actually usable in this game vs last, which is something I really like. Obviously not every play, but it's nice to see that it is possible to get separation sometimes and throw to a WR streaking up the field. I felt like that was a rarity in 10. I do think the running game has improved too. While I still haven't beaten All Madden yet, I've had a lot of success running the ball against the CPU (100+ yard games with Greene regularly). I feel a bit more in control of the ball carrier. I won't comment on defending All Madden again, haha, I've said my piece on that.

Matt- yeah I'd be up for that (but my mic is busted if that's a problem), I just changed my shipping from fss to release date, so I should have it by 4 o clock on next Tuesday.

Id also be up to play anyone whether I play them in the season or not. Also right now I'm out of town, but I really want to get back home to see if I can beat the colts on all madden.

No problem about the mic. Other than Azumangaman and Regian, I didn't do voice chat with anyone in the last league, at least I don't think so. I do plan to talk to people this time around, though. After conversing in the thread and- in some cases- on Facebook, I'd like to at least make some small talk during games if possible. But if people have no mic or don't want to talk, that's fine, too.

[quote name='MasterAwesome']Well I tried the demo out and I see what you guys mean about the tackling/secondary (in All Madden). Peyton Manning would throw some bombs downfield and hit Reggie Wayne wide open with Revis nowhere in sight (somehow). Another time he threw a short pass to Wayne and he literally broke 6 tackles before making it to the end zone. I had no trouble at all winning my games against the CPU in All-Madden last season, but this one seems incredibly difficult to me. I'd still be down to try All-Madden once the league starts though, I think I just need to find the right playbook ... [/QUOTE]

I had the same issues. I was controller-chucking frustrated and was losing by 25-35 points when the demo first released but, after just the past week I'm having consistently close games. Just give it some time.

[quote name='Darth0fTheDead']I had the same issues. I was controller-chucking frustrated and was losing by 25-35 points when the demo first released but, after just the past week I'm having consistently close games. Just give it some time.[/QUOTE]

I just saw you lost by 7 a little while ago. I thought I had the game I just played locked up. It was 14-7 towards the end of the 3rd. In fact, shit was actually going my way. Holding and face masks were being called on the CPU this time. AND I even got a drive-saving pass interference call on 3rd and long that put me 5 yards from the endzone.

Then shit hit the fan. I was using my FS and actually had two guys deep in the endzone, but I felt I was keeping track of them. They split and I picked the right one, the one going to the corner. I thought I would at least get a hand on it by the guy just didn't go where I wanted and it was an easy TD. Alright, no problem, tied, 2 minutes or so left I'll just score again. I go 3 and out. Got stuffed on 1st. And then had 2 drop passes, a super easy one on 3rd. Fast forward a bit and Manning throws a bomb to Gonzalez. Cromartie is all over him and I was thinking easy pick or at least a tipped pass, the announcer says it's tipped (didn't look like it) and Gonzalez catches it with ease. TD shortly after, 21-14. Another case of dropped passes and turnover on downs, game over.

I recall reading someone say something about catching being different in 11, is that true? Keller and Edwards seem to drop a ton of passes. Greene too, but at least he makes some sense he's not exactly known for being a pass-catching RB. Maybe my timing is incorrect. The same goes for INTs. I'm in position a ton, but coming up with the pick has been rare. More so than 10.

People are sleeping on me hard!

I just cant wait to beat BIGAT, he is a good 30% of the reason why I am buying madden. Just to get revenge on that lame INT run last year.

[quote name='Soodmeg']People are sleeping on me hard!

I just cant wait to beat BIGAT, he is a good 30% of the reason why I am buying madden. Just to get revenge on that lame INT run last year.[/QUOTE]

hey man, you only played one season last year. most the people don't know you yet!

I DID IT! I DID IT! Oh glory day!

My previous game I was actually in FG range with time running out and instead of kneeing it (not a fan), I ran it. And Greene fumbled it! 2nd one of the game so I was already working with bad luck. Needless to say I lost in OT.

Figured I'd give it another shot, especially with Darth talking so much shit on Live. Next thing I know I'm up 21-7 at the half with a couple picks on Manning. I actually had to check my settings in the 3rd quarter, it didn't feel like All Madden at all. Things just finally clicked I guess. The final was looking to be 35-14, but after I picked Manning off again I got greedy with close to a minute remaining and started throwing it deep. Sanchez got hit as he threw one and got pick six'd, but I'll take 35-21. :D

[quote name='ubernes']I DID IT! I DID IT! Oh glory day!

My previous game I was actually in FG range with time running out and instead of kneeing it (not a fan), I ran it. And Greene fumbled it! 2nd one of the game so I was already working with bad luck. Needless to say I lost in OT.

Figured I'd give it another shot, especially with Darth talking so much shit on Live. Next thing I know I'm up 21-7 at the half with a couple picks on Manning. I actually had to check my settings in the 3rd quarter, it didn't feel like All Madden at all. Things just finally clicked I guess. The final was looking to be 35-14, but after I picked Manning off again I got greedy with close to a minute remaining and started throwing it deep. Sanchez got hit as he threw one and got pick six'd, but I'll take 35-21. :D[/QUOTE]

*golf clap*

So I think as a general concept the strategy pad is not so bad, and in a vacuum it's probably better, but damn if it doesn't screw with the muscle memory of longtime Madden players. It's unreal how trained I am at the old pre-snap controls, it's going to take a lot of adjustment.

[quote name='theredworm']old style is being patched back in so you don't have to adapt for too long[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I read that, but I think I'm gonna try the new way anyway. Because I can see them going to it permanently at some point, so I might as well get used to it.

I'm beginning to not mind it. It really is just a matter of getting used to it so you can make the moves as fast as possible. Though it is 1 extra button (up on d-pad + selecting DB/LB/DL + selecting where you want to move them).

[quote name='Soodmeg']People are sleeping on me hard!

I just cant wait to beat BIGAT, he is a good 30% of the reason why I am buying madden. Just to get revenge on that lame INT run last year.[/QUOTE]

Not at all...I joined the AFC South partly/mostly because we would get to play twice a year....can't wait.

Uber, out of curiosity, what happened to sending messages to the players from last year before you posted this thread?.....i've been out of town(with internet access)for two weeks and was very excited about the new cag league.....alas...i suppose i won't be playing with CAG this year :(

[quote name='siradam134']Uber, out of curiosity, what happened to sending messages to the players from last year before you posted this thread?.....i've been out of town(with internet access)for two weeks and was very excited about the new cag league.....alas...i suppose i won't be playing with CAG this year :([/QUOTE]

my bad. did you make it to the end of the final season? that's the only thing I can think of that would make you slip my mind.

News alert: the red worm is now the owner of the Bills.

I've been having discussions with him on XBL over the last week and not only does he seem much more committed than I first realized, but he also has the Bills as his 2nd team and I know Green Bay isn't going anywhere for a while. The main reason for this decision though is simply because the guy who claimed the Bills hasn't even posted in the correct thread and has not shown that he'll be active in any way.

Maybe we can begin to discuss trades etc...since we are a couple of days away from release, last year it was a problem because we had owners trading away their best players and then leaving the league, which I think was detrimental to the continuity

Sure,

re: free agency. the rule has always been no FA moves. I would like to keep that rule with an exception. if a team suffers an injury they are allowed to pick up a FA at that position for depth. I have a feeling I may also have to sign some FAs to teams to update the rosters too (TO, Coles, probably others).

re: trading. the rule has always been only trades between user controlled teams. since every team at the moment is user controlled that rule shouldn't be a problem, but I'd like to keep it anyways.

re: other roster moves. I assume you mean moving players to different positions outside of the default depth chart. again, we've touched on this before in other leagues and we should use the same philosophy we use when we encounter a 4th and long situation, do what an NFL coach would do. So don't play your strong safety on the defensive line and so on.

I agree with all that. On the third point in particular, what you say makes sense. For example, playing an OLB at one of the DE slots is legitimate, since that actually happens.

Should there also be some sort of review set up for trades? I'd be in favor of commissioner review. I mean, you can always ask opinions in the thread, but I think its better if you just decide it rather than there being a vote, etc.

[quote name='ubernes']my bad. did you make it to the end of the final season? that's the only thing I can think of that would make you slip my mind.[/QUOTE]

played 3/4 of the final season and the little mini bracket we had..anyways....waiting list please. Dolphins. maybe i'll get to play next season.

[quote name='siradam134']played 3/4 of the final season and the little mini bracket we had..anyways....waiting list please. Dolphins. maybe i'll get to play next season.[/QUOTE]

I would bet anything that 1 or 2 spots open up before we get underway.

I have no real preference in commish vs league vote. I can't imagine any trades being too unbalanced, but regardless of how it's done it should be brought up in the thread before it is pushed through the game.

[quote name='bvharris']I would bet anything that 1 or 2 spots open up before we get underway.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I don't think it'll be the Fins though. :(

Perhaps if another, better team opens up Darth can convince his friend who has the Dolphins to swap. Assuming it happens before we're too deep into the season.

[quote name='ubernes']Agreed. I don't think it'll be the Fins though. :(

Perhaps if another, better team opens up Darth can convince his friend who has the Dolphins to swap. Assuming it happens before we're too deep into the season.[/QUOTE]

considering the fins owner has only 1 post....and he just joined:D
let's hope he's inactive or something..

[quote name='siradam134']considering the fins owner has only 1 post....and he just joined:D
let's hope he's inactive or something..[/QUOTE]

I think Darth brought a bunch of friends over from another forum, which is why they're all new to CAG. No reason to assume they won't be active I'd say.

[quote name='bvharris']I think Darth brought a bunch of friends over from another forum, which is why they're all new to CAG. No reason to assume they won't be active I'd say.[/QUOTE]

i've been gone and not read the forums for two weeks. my apologies.

I'd imagine Favre is on the default roster of the Vikings though. I don't think they'd take him off it until he officially retires.

bread's done
Back