Madden 11 League-OFFICIAL CAG LEAGUE-That's all folks! Mini-tourney still coming tho!

I caved and came home. I have the game (consider this my check-in ubernes, not that my participation was in doubt).

Anyone who wants to get in a scrimmage, message me on XBL (bvharris888). Right now I'm just trying to get used to the Chargers.

A few first impressions:

- The passing game is definitely notably easier this year, both for you and for the CPU. Issues people had in the demo with CPU QBs picking them apart definitely made it to the full game.

- I turned off auto-sprint, I'm just used to doing it manually.

- The strategy pad is definitely going to take some getting used to, if just to defeat my old Madden muscle memory. Not sure yet whether I'll switch over to the old style once they patch it in (I might have adjusted by then).

Well its confirmed, the defense in this game is horrid. Expect constant big plays.

My first game was Titans vs the Bears. First throw goes to Hester, he catches it in a double team because the INT animation made me slide past him (fine I can deal) but then hester breaks 3 separate tackles on the way to the end zone. The first one was when he had his back turned to Griffin but spun around and stiff armed him to the ground....then he just runs through the next 2 tackles.

Everyone is fucking Brandon Jacobs...this league cant start soon enough.

EDIT: If anyone finds a legit way to stop things like this please tell me. The game actually plays pretty well but I can forgive watching 140 ball carries truck the best defenders in the league.

Stupid UPS! I was out for 2 hours this afternoon and I come back to see that dreaded sticker on my door. Looks like I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to get it. Hopefully they came as early as they did today.

I would try to track down the truck in the neighborhood or see if it's at the local UPS store, but I need to run to work. :(

edit: I still need to find a lamer Sanchez photo for my new avatar hahah.

Yeah, I quickly remembered why I don't play random people online. Sportsmanship means nothing, it's just about beating people by as much as possible. Oh well, I'll just stick to playing you people.

[quote name='theredworm']does there seem to be a lot of injuries for anyone else?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they mentioned this is the Gametrailer review also. We might want to look at that for the league. My first game Britt, Young, Ringer all went down.

Also, by the end of the game Hester had 7 BT which is impossible to begin with. I dont even think I have ever seen the guy break a tackle....he causes people to miss but doesnt get out of many tackles once wrapped up.

Other than the defense (which is huge to me) the game played pretty well. Its acceptable as a football game but still lacks a lot of the polish that made games like 2k5, 2k8 so great. Also Backbreaker has spoiled me in the tackling department.

Now if there was only a way to stop the CPU from automatically breaking the first tackle regardless of situation we would be in business.

Quick question about Madden Ultimate Team. Does everyone start with the same team, or do people all get random starter packs?

#2 backup checking in. Got my game at 11am this morning on my doorstep.

Ubernes: obviously, i'd love to play my dolphins, they're my #1, but i'll be available for anything after the #1 backup takes his place.

[quote name='SEH']Quick question about Madden Ultimate Team. Does everyone start with the same team, or do people all get random starter packs?[/QUOTE]

I would say don't even bother with it. It's just a money grab from EA disguised as an additional game mode.

[quote name='BigAT']I would say don't even bother with it. It's just a money grab from EA disguised as an additional game mode.[/QUOTE]

How exactly is it a money grab? Because you can buy points if you wish? You do realize you can actually play games to earn points as well right?

I loved the older Maddens that had the cards you could buy and whatnot, so I'm pretty interested in this. I don't really care if you think it's a "cash grab" or not.

Sorry we couldn't connect gbpackers, I don't know what happened. I sent you the invite and yet it still stuck me with some random dude (at least I won this time). Let me know if you want to try later.

[quote name='bvharris']Sorry we couldn't connect gbpackers, I don't know what happened. I sent you the invite and yet it still stuck me with some random dude (at least I won this time). Let me know if you want to try later.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, this seems to happen with every sports game I buy (MLB10, Madden11, NCAA basketball 10). I can choose my team, but the opponent is the rival of the team i picked as my favorite team. I don't know if its my connection/router, but hopefully it works itself out before the start of the franchise.

i'l be online tonight at 10pm EST when i get off work if anyone wants to play on XBL, my gamertag is TooShort4

send me a friend request :)

can anyone tell me though what the website is to control your online franchise from your computer?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BigAT']I would say don't even bother with it. It's just a money grab from EA disguised as an additional game mode.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SEH']How exactly is it a money grab? Because you can buy points if you wish? You do realize you can actually play games to earn points as well right?

I loved the older Maddens that had the cards you could buy and whatnot, so I'm pretty interested in this. I don't really care if you think it's a "cash grab" or not.[/QUOTE]

Actually Ultimate team is a copied mode from Fifa which invented it and implemented it 4 or 5 years ago. It actually is a fantastic mode in Fifa but I have never played it in madden. I can only assume that its half assed in some way though.

Speaking of half assed, Gus Johnson is the most annoying announcer I have ever heard. The things that he is saying isnt bad but it so patched together its like listening to a damn speak and spell. You can really tell what is was recorded together and what wasnt. The superbowl speach sounds great but everything else is horrid. First year I might actually turn it off.

Just got home with my game, I want to get a couple practice games in before I start getting whipped online.

gbpackers, sorry I didn't accept your game invite. I saw it as I was tending to my kid but couldn't get to the controller.

Played a game with my default Ultimate Team. After the game was over, I received no tokens. Anyone know why this is?

After playing two games online here are some of my impressions
- pass defense is impossible
- only way to win is to exploit some aspect and hope the person you are playing doesn't fix it (see Joseph Addai)
- Joseph Addai is apparently the best receiver in the NFL
- Teams decide to stop blocking at halftime
- kick returning is broken
- every punt is a fair catch
- I suck at madden (0-2)

My Game Results
I'm in bold
1. L 24-38 (Packers at. Dolphins)
2. L 35-42 (Steelers at. Colts)

[quote name='SEH']Quick question about Madden Ultimate Team. Does everyone start with the same team, or do people all get random starter packs?[/QUOTE]

Can someone fill me in on what the ultimate team is??? How does it work. Feel free to PM.

Kick returning is indeed broken. In 2 online games, there have been a total of five KRs for TDs, and it's only that few because I basically started squib kicking every time. They need to fix that pronto.

If you suck, then I am really going to suck b/c this is pretty much my 2nd madden ever. I bought 2010 but only played around 30 hours. I thought the 2010 edition was pretty good.

[quote name='gbpackers94']After playing two games online here are some of my impressions
- pass defense is impossible
- only way to win is to exploit some aspect and hope the person you are playing doesn't fix it (see Joseph Addai)
- Joseph Addai is apparently the best receiver in the NFL
- Teams decide to stop blocking at halftime
- kick returning is broken
- every punt is a fair catch
- I suck at madden (0-2)

My Game Results
I'm in bold
1. L 24-38 (Packers at. Dolphins)
2. L 35-42 (Steelers at. Colts)
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bvharris']Kick returning is indeed broken. In 2 online games, there have been a total of five KRs for TDs, and it's only that few because I basically started squib kicking every time. They need to fix that pronto.[/QUOTE]
Really? I've only seen two returns go past the twenty in two games.

I rented a brand new copy from Family Video this morning hoping maybe to be cannon fodder for a few of you guys over the weekend but they were smart enough to remove the last page of the manual so no on-line for me.

[quote name='SEH']How exactly is it a money grab? Because you can buy points if you wish? You do realize you can actually play games to earn points as well right?

I loved the older Maddens that had the cards you could buy and whatnot, so I'm pretty interested in this. I don't really care if you think it's a "cash grab" or not.[/QUOTE]

I know you can earn points for playing games, but when you earn an absolutely meager amount of points for playing games compared to the absurd amount you can buy for even the smallest microtransaction, it's clear the direction they are pointing you in. Your cards degrade (and eventually disappear) with every game you play. People that tried to earn points solely by playing games last year reported that eventually their team became unusable because they lost players quicker than they could purchase packs of cards to replace them with.

I'm solely basing my impressions on how it was based in '10, but I have no reason to believe that they changed things. The mode is virtually unplayable without relying on real money purchases of points.

[quote name='ajh2298']I rented a brand new copy from Family Video this morning hoping maybe to be cannon fodder for a few of you guys over the weekend but they were smart enough to remove the last page of the manual so no on-line for me.[/QUOTE]

There's a free trial for online so you can at least give it a go for however long the free trial is.

[quote name='DT778']ajh, you should be able to activate a 7 day trial.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='HydroX']There's a free trial for online so you can at least give it a go for however long the free trial is.[/QUOTE]

Ok cool might be on-line later if anybody wants to play a real below average player add "ajh2298" and look for me the next few nights.

What is your guys view on sliders?

I opposing sliders in sports games. When it first game out it was fine because it was viewed as a tweak to make the game run the way you viewed was a fair representation of the game.

Now it feels like companies (mostly Madden) are using them as a crutch for horrid gameplay and the lack of play test/adjust to a testers results. I bring this up because I asked a couple people about the fact that RB are breaking 3+ tackles during each run. I asked what defense works best and the told me to adjust the sliders.....when I responded that I dont like touching sliders they scoffed.

Isnt the work of the game tester to spend hours adjusting aspects of the game to produce a realistic outcome? Its like going to a restaurant and having to season and grill your own steak.

I was thinking.. Now that the game is out maybe someone should make a thread for general discussion, finding opponents, etc? That way the league thread doesn't get too cluttered with non-league stuff. Just a thought.

[quote name='ajh2298']I rented a brand new copy from Family Video this morning hoping maybe to be cannon fodder for a few of you guys over the weekend but they were smart enough to remove the last page of the manual so no on-line for me.[/QUOTE]

My Family Video left the code in for NCAA! :) Maybe they wised up with Madden, I'll have to investigate.

Well, its the first day, which is why there is a flood of post in here. Give it about a week and I think it will die down when our season starts.

I think I am going to give some online play a whirl.

[quote name='PacerPerspect']I second, third and fourth that passing is very easy this year. Even with Kolb.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. I got Leinhart throwing for 350+ yards today. It's unreal how broken streak routes are going to be with any QB with a 85+ deep pass rating. Correct me if I'm wrong.

[quote name='Soodmeg']What is your guys view on sliders?

I opposing sliders in sports games. When it first game out it was fine because it was viewed as a tweak to make the game run the way you viewed was a fair representation of the game.

Now it feels like companies (mostly Madden) are using them as a crutch for horrid gameplay and the lack of play test/adjust to a testers results. I bring this up because I asked a couple people about the fact that RB are breaking 3+ tackles during each run. I asked what defense works best and the told me to adjust the sliders.....when I responded that I dont like touching sliders they scoffed.

Isnt the work of the game tester to spend hours adjusting aspects of the game to produce a realistic outcome? Its like going to a restaurant and having to season and grill your own steak.[/QUOTE]

You summed it up pretty well. Sliders were nice when they were for fine tuning the gaming experience for individual preferences (although I didn't use them much even then), but now they seem to be purely used for fixing broken AI/gameplay.

The worst part of it all? Sliders don't even work with online franchise...for the second year in a row! Completely unacceptable, especially considering NCAA has had sliders in their online dynasty mode for years now.

So, I'm not getting coins for anything. I'm playing franchise games, exhibition games, games with my Ultimate Team, etc... and I never get any coins. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Also, I agree about passing. It's been broken for awhile though. Any slant route is pretty much a guaranteed completion/first down/big play. I've found running to be a bitch though. I was playing my Dolphins franchise and was going against the Bills. I couldn't break off anything more than five yards unless I used one specific Wildcat play which would result in like a 20+ yard gain every time. Other than that, nothing worked. My lineman just kept missing assignments and letting the DL get right in on me.

Oh, I'd also like to add that the version of "Welcome to the Jungle" that's in this game could be the most butchered song I've ever heard. They really had to censor words like "bleed", "sexy", and "serpentine"? OH NOEZ DA KIDS MITE BE PLAYIN!!!!.

[quote name='Darth0fTheDead']Agreed. I got Leinhart throwing for 350+ yards today. It's unreal how broken streak routes are going to be with any QB with a 85+ deep pass rating. Correct me if I'm wrong.[/QUOTE]

I went 20-for-26 with 340 yards and four TDs with Kolb.

I haven't played Madden seriously since 08, but I'd be interested in hitting up the CAG League if you lose track of anyone (i.e. Put me on the waiting list!)

XBL: Gumbill
CAG: Lexxon

Thanks! I prefer the Giants but will take anyone. I got the 360 version today from Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright I just got my game and am looking through some stuff and a few questions popped up in general and about the league:

1. Anyone have any idea what the "Old Spice Swagger" stat means? Does that even do anything?

2. If a player on your team has sustained an injury in real life and is out for the season, do you have to leave your depth chart as it is (leaving that guy out) for the league as well? Or can you still put that player in your line-up. In my case...I'm specifically talking about Thomas Davis on the Panthers.

3. I'm not exactly sure how the Scouting Report works yet since the game just came out today, but are we going to be utilizing that in the league or are we gonna have some kind of an honor system where we don't look through the report on our opponent, since that might be kind of unfair if we know how our opponent tends to play (that seems to be why some people are hesitant to scrim with other people from the same conference).

On a side note...I really hope I can figure out how to utilize some Wildcat plays with Armanti Edwards...I feel like that would be a waste of his talents otherwise.

Sorry to bring the negativity into the thread but does anyone else feel like falcon punching their tv while playing online? It's broken in so many ways its not funny.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Sorry to bring the negativity into the thread but does anyone else feel like falcon punching their tv while playing online? It's broken in so many ways its not funny.[/QUOTE]

I'm more frustrated with the type of people who play online (going for it on every 4th, running up the score, etc) than with the gameplay itself.

[quote name='SEH']So, I'm not getting coins for anything. I'm playing franchise games, exhibition games, games with my Ultimate Team, etc... and I never get any coins. What the hell am I doing wrong?[/QUOTE]

I got an 'Old Spice Swagger - Pick 6' for returning an INT for a TD, but no coins despite wins in a franchise and online h2h game.

[quote name='Soodmeg']What is your guys view on sliders?

Isnt the work of the game tester to spend hours adjusting aspects of the game to produce a realistic outcome? Its like going to a restaurant and having to season and grill your own steak.[/QUOTE]I don't mess with the sliders because my friends and I play at various people's houses and it's best for everyone to just have the default settings. It would only hurt you if you had to adjust to play on a system with no sliders or different sliders. And I agree with you thinking EA is using it as a crutch. All this money they get from sales, in game advertising and they can't fucking fix things that we notice with just having played a few games. It's bullshit.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Sorry to bring the negativity into the thread but does anyone else feel like falcon punching their tv while playing online? It's broken in so many ways its not funny.[/QUOTE]

How so?

The fumble recovery giving me 1st and 10 was definitely weird, but other than that the usual happened: you smashed through my defense with Benson like crazy, I smashed through yours with Turner and Norwood.

'Twas a close, fun game. I thought you were going to 101 yard pick six me when I launched it deep at the end of the game.

[quote name='SEH']Oh, I'd also like to add that the version of "Welcome to the Jungle" that's in this game could be the most butchered song I've ever heard. They really had to censor words like "bleed", "sexy", and "serpentine"? OH NOEZ DA KIDS MITE BE PLAYIN!!!!.[/QUOTE]

"You know where you are? You're in the jungle baby, you're gonna **********."

Yeah, they censor "die".

[quote name='MasterAwesome']1. Anyone have any idea what the "Old Spice Swagger" stat means? Does that even do anything?[/QUOTE]

I think I read somewhere that it affects the likelihood that a player celebrates after a touchdown. I don't think it actually matters for shit and it's just an excuse to put another advertisement in the game.

[quote name='HydroX']How so?

The fumble recovery giving me 1st and 10 was definitely weird, but other than that the usual happened: you smashed through my defense with Benson like crazy, I smashed through yours with Turner and Norwood.

'Twas a close, fun game. I thought you were going to 101 yard pick six me when I launched it deep at the end of the game.[/QUOTE]
You were a good fair opponent but I just could not stop the outside pitches no matter what I did. I just don't understand the play calling at all. Anyone got any tips? I'm getting crushed every match.

bread's done
Back