Mario Kart Wii - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='leveskikesko']I don't care what anyone says, I'm giving the wheel option a try at least.

Seems like most people these days always pick the gamecube option or standard controller option(guilty here) when given the choice....but I want some fun motion control![/quote]
I still can't get too excited about this game for whatever reason, but I'm with you! After all the fun I've been having with Excite Truck, I'm all for motion control racing. I don't really like racing games except the Burnout series and the Nintendo things because you can get by without so much obsession over precision.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Wow. This is great news. I wonder why the hell this wasn't the very first thing they announced about the game. This needs to be in every single Wifi title. System friend code, request/confirm, boom. Nintendo should have made a Friend Channel thats manages all of this from the start.[/quote]

Confirmed by UK players on neogaf.

"Yes you can. You can send a message automatically from the game (of from the MK channel) to anyone in your message board, and if they have the game, all they have to do is click 'accept'. No exchanging of long friend codes, nothing."

Apparently you are limited to 3 invites per game session, but you can just quit the game, go back in, and send 3 more invites.

If Nintendo is going to keep the friend code system in place (which I am sure they are), this needs to be the default method of doing it.

Another way to add friend codes:

"Another neato thing: If you are playing in a race hosted by a friend, and that friend has invited other friends (which are not on your friend roster), you can easily add them to your roster simply by clicking on 'add friend', without exchanging friend codes. So that's another easy way to add people without codes."

Also, apparently there is a 30 friend limit maximum.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Anyway, apparently karts can do tricks too. Basically with any jump off a ramp if you hit the d-pad/tilt back you do a different trick depending on the direction. I've only been playing as Toad but the kart tricks he does are a backflip, barrel roll, and some sort a superman-like move. I've done the Mushroom and Flower cups now. Something to note is that you can't change your controller option in the middle of a cup. It specifically asks you to put the original control method back in. I've done one cup with the cube controller and one with classic. About to tackle Star cup with Nunchuk combo.[/QUOTE]

Toad can DO A BARREL ROLL! Guess he's got something in common with Slippy, besides their amphibian namesakes. ;)

Yea I noticed the three invite limitation thing. I was confused since the option wasn't there anymore. I thought maybe I had to wait for confirmations but then going to the home menu and back worked. Seems silly.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Toad can DO A BARREL ROLL! Guess he's got something in common with Slippy, besides their amphibian namesakes. ;)[/QUOTE]
It probably isn't just Toad, likely everyone. I don't think theres too many tricks you can pull off in a kart. :lol: I've only used Toad for the most part though. Sadly Para Troopa is not included so I've gone back to my Toady default. My winning combo in DD was Diddy and PT, PT's triple shell takes me to first and Diddy's giant bananas kept me there. My friends always used to say why the fuck are there so many bananas?!

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers'].

Another way to add friend codes:

"Another neato thing: If you are playing in a race hosted by a friend, and that friend has invited other friends (which are not on your friend roster), you can easily add them to your roster simply by clicking on 'add friend', without exchanging friend codes. So that's another easy way to add people without codes."

Also, apparently there is a 30 friend limit maximum.[/quote]
That method is in Brawl as well, actually. I swear, by the end of the Wii's life, there will be a game that just takes all the perfectly workable online game mechanics present in individual titles and throws them together.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']Also, apparently there is a 30 friend limit maximum.[/QUOTE]

How is it that Nintendo can do so many things right, yet still manage to screw up the most simple things. I'm really disappointed that the limit for friends even exists, much less that it is so small.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']How is it that Nintendo can do so many things right, yet still manage to screw up the most simple things. I'm really disappointed that the limit for friends even exists, much less that it is so small.[/quote]

at least playing with random people has been fixed relative to brawl (hopefully)

[quote name='dyeknom']I went ahead and pre-ordered this at Blockbuster in hopes of getting the free second wheel. If not, oh well.[/quote]

What's this? Did I miss something? I was going to reserve it at Gamestop tomorrow and I was looking for a deal. I know some may not like the idea of the Wii Wheel but my wife and daughter will most likely prefer to play with it. An extra free Wii Wheel would be nice. Also, can you reserve it at any Blockbuster i.e. non-Gamerush location?

[quote name='botticus']That method is in Brawl as well, actually. I swear, by the end of the Wii's life, there will be a game that just takes all the perfectly workable online game mechanics present in individual titles and throws them together.[/quote]

Yeah, it is a great option in Brawl as well. Although from the description of how it works in MK Wii, I don't know if the other person has to "OK" the request for their friend code or not.

Speaking of Brawl, I've had you on my friends list since I got it and you still haven't been registered yet.

I should mention the best part of playing online is it shows a map when finding players and then it shows their Mii and their map position prior to the race. Pretty cool. No lag at all playing with Japanese and UK players wither.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']Yeah, it is a great option in Brawl as well. Although from the description of how it works in MK Wii, I don't know if the other person has to "OK" the request for their friend code or not.

Speaking of Brawl, I've had you on my friends list since I got it and you still haven't been registered yet.[/quote]
Odd. Well, maybe not. I haven't jumped online in it in a while and it's now boxed up in prep for my move, but I will likely bounce back on once I get resettled.

[quote name='leveskikesko']IGN UK gave this game a pretty darn positive review.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/865/865975p1.html

I'm so painfully hyped for this game right now, probably more than I was for Brawl or Galaxy!

OK, maybe not Galaxy hyped, but you get the point, I'm hyped....[/quote]

that article says that mk64 was the worst? blasphemy.

[quote name='decrot']so do some of you already have mario kart?[/QUOTE]
It's out in Europe and Japan already. Japan allegedly sold 300K copies in one day (best Mario Kart one-day numbers). US release is April 27.

--R.J.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I should mention the best part of playing online is it shows a map when finding players and then it shows their Mii and their map position prior to the race. Pretty cool. No lag at all playing with Japanese and UK players wither.[/QUOTE]

You mean, like map position on a world map? If so that's freakin' awesome!

[quote name='decrot']that article says that mk64 was the worst? blasphemy.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm - I'll have to read this review as I don't get the love for MK64 (esp. vs MKDD) on CAG.

CouRageouS - Is this 30 friend limit true? That really sucks. Why couldn't it be at least like Brawl (64)? That seems more reasonable. As it is I've only got that half-filled and more than half of those haven't registered yet. The problem is with this auto-registration thing (by adding non-reg'd people at the character selection) all the CAG's who started playing early ended up adding each other and filling up their lists pretty quick. It will be even worse for Mario Kart - so on that one I'll be sure to start playing online Day 1!

[quote name='io']Y\ I don't get the love for MK64 (esp. vs MKDD) on CAG.[/quote]

using the lightning bolt right before your friends jump off a big ramp is the best. screws them over and they fall back half a track. thats classic.

Excerpts from that review about the online portions:

...and, thanks to clever online opponent matching, there's no shortage of a challenge when you connect to Nintendo's servers.

Online though, it's a completely different story, with both VS. races and Battles coming into their own. Partly that's due to the ease of finding opponents to play – with Nintendo's servers managing to select full 12-player line-ups worldwide in seconds – and partly it's due to the clever implementation of point rankings for both modes.

In fact, as an online experience, Mario Kart Wii is undoubtedly Nintendo's most accomplished package yet and demonstrates the company is starting to take internet gaming a little more seriously. Technically, it's fast when it comes to joining matches and lag-free in-game. But that's not the best of it – it's little touches like the online points system or the ability to create lobby rooms with your friends and chat from a huge batch of pre-determined messages that show a better understanding and maturity from Nintendo. Sure, it's still as frustratingly kid-safe as ever – with Friend Codes and lack of voice chat likely to irk the most – but that seems to be the Nintendo way. And with so many strides forward - whether in the way rankings are presented, weekly competitions which radically alter familiar tracks, the ability to download and upload ghost data, plus a stand-alone channel which offers easy access to all of Mario Kart's online options to the point of being able to see which of your friend's are playing at any given time – the positives almost certainly outweigh the inevitable minor negatives, although the lack of online match leaderboards is a little bewildering

It sounds like Nintendo is finally starting to get this online thing down... Hopefully it will be perfected by the time Animal Crossing Wii comes out ;).

[quote name='io']You mean, like map position on a world map? If so that's freakin' awesome!
[/quote]
Yup it showed my Wii clearly on the SF Bay Area with a US flag, then it showed a bunch of UK and JPN players with what I'm assuming is precise position. The UK players all had their respective flags. I can try to capture a video of it this weekend. The TV my Wii is hooked up to now is an HD tube so I get scan lines but I'll put it on the LCD to make the video.

CouRageouS - Is this 30 friend limit true?
I couldn't tell you because I don't have 30 people to befriend :lol: But I have been sending requests to people just to brag.

[quote name='elhefe23']What's this? Did I miss something? I was going to reserve it at Gamestop tomorrow and I was looking for a deal. I know some may not like the idea of the Wii Wheel but my wife and daughter will most likely prefer to play with it. An extra free Wii Wheel would be nice. Also, can you reserve it at any Blockbuster i.e. non-Gamerush location?[/quote]

Yeah, I saw that deal earlier, too. I stopped by the nearest Blockbuster to me, and while I saw flyers to PO MKW, they don't say anything about an extra wheel. (I did not ask the clerk, however.) I mean, it took a few races for me to get the hang of it, but I don't mind it--I even like the expanded B trigger on the back.

[quote name='mcroa7']In case people care your local Sam's Club will be doing a midnight launch of Mario Kart along with Wii systems available to purchase. If they price it like they did for the Smash Brothers event I would expect the price to be about $5 less than retail. Every Sam's Club in the country(except where such events are not allowed) will have Wii's and games available. The club will open at midnight and close at 1 am on Saturday into Sunday. So for those that haven't pre-ordered it or are looking for a Wii hit up Sam's. As a side note my sams club got in 40 wii's and 50 copies of Smash brothers when that launched.[/quote]

Hey, there's a Sam's Club down the street from me! I don't have a membership card, but I think my sister does...if not, my parents definitely do. I'm down for a discount if the free Wheel is a bust...

[quote name='io']Excerpts from that review about the online portions:

It sounds like Nintendo is finally starting to get this online thing down... Hopefully it will be perfected by the time Animal Crossing Wii comes out ;).[/quote]

If they force you to use preset messages in ACW, I'll be one angry gamer.

[quote name='leveskikesko']If they force you to use preset messages in ACW, I'll be one angry gamer.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's why I said "hopefully it will be perfected". I mean ACWW allowed you to type in anything you want, so why not AC on the Wii? Here's an idea Nintendo - LET US USE OUR DS's to type in text for AC on the Wii. Just sayin'...

(the DS could be used for a lot more, too, like inventory management and such...)

[quote name='ananag112']So how many tracks are in this game? More tracks then the DS version?[/quote]
32 tracks, 16 new and 16 old. 10 battle levels, 5 new and 5 old.

[quote name='decrot']that article says that mk64 was the worst? blasphemy.[/quote]

Yeah, no shit. I was shocked when I read that as I still play mk64 daily. The review made Mario Kart Wii sound amazing. I was already more hyped for this than any other Wii game, and that review just solidifies it for me. I can't freakin wait! :drool:

http://wiinintendo.net/2008/04/09/2-hours-of-mario-kart-wii-direct-feed-all-32-courses/

so i've watched the majority of this 2 hour video. the video shows some guy going through all 32 courses. and i've got to say, this has made me far more excited for the game then i was before.

i thought the graphics looked great. i'm not sure what people were hoping for. they looked like double dash, but the edges of trees and karts were very very crisp. you could see clearly into the distance.

the karts looked extremely sharp. and i really liked the style of the karts. the ds had them a little too small and crazy. these karts were a little bigger which should lead to more collisions.

and the courses, i was surprised, looked great. my favorite so far are dk's snowboard cross, koopa's cape, and wario's gold mine. there seemed to be a good amount of craziness. not too much, where it just gets frustrating, but enough to put some randomness into the mix.

this game has been getting a fair amount of hate lately. i really think people don't get what makes this game fun.

I traded in Tomb Raider: Anniversary and Sonic and the Secret Rings in GameStop, and not only did I get Mario Kart Wii for free, they also gave €10 extra in credit. Good stuff.

[quote name='buttle']
and the courses, i was surprised, looked great. my favorite so far are dk's snowboard cross, koopa's cape, and wario's gold mine. there seemed to be a good amount of craziness. not too much, where it just gets frustrating, but enough to put some randomness into the mix.[/quote]
Am I the only one who noticed the MKDD course DK Mountain reversed with snow added and a few changes = DK's Snowboard Cross?

I unlocked Mii (outfit a) so maybe you could possibly get more outfits. It uses the Mii you pick for your MK License and you're wearing whatever color your Mii wears.

Whats interesting is that it made me a large character, so I'm assuming it calculates the height/weight and decides if you ride large, medium, or small vehicles. Its really cool. It even has his set of a general male voice saying yahoo, yay, ouch, etc. Miis need to be in all Mario sport titles. They should have put them in Brawl too.

edit-
Okay in multiplayer you can pick ANY Mii. Haven't tried online yet. But this is so cool. It does pick your sized based on height/weight. It also has separate sound sets for s/m/l male and females. We can finally settle the race between Jesus and Michael Jackson for Mii popularity.

[quote name='yukine']It's currently on all the torrent sites.

Connect the dots. ;)[/QUOTE]

Now let's color by number and we have ourselves one hell of an afternoon!

How the hell did it end up on the torrent sites already? :whistle2:k Is it out in Japan/Europe yet?

[quote name='lilboo']Now let's color by number and we have ourselves one hell of an afternoon!

How the hell did it end up on the torrent sites already? :whistle2:k Is it out in Japan/Europe yet?[/quote]

Not sure... but now see if CouRageouS didn't have a modded Wii and didn't give us his impressions I wouldn't be buying Mario Kart on day one like I am now. :lol:

I've got the game too, and I think it's hilarious when I play online I'm the only USA person. (All Europeans must now think USA sucks at mario kart :) )

[quote name='yukine']Not sure... but now see if CouRageouS didn't have a modded Wii and didn't give us his impressions I wouldn't be buying Mario Kart on day one like I am now. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Hey now... lets not make assumptions! How do you know that I'm not sitting here in my beret, eating french fries (we call them chips) and french toast, petting my poodle, while simultaneously having tea and crumpets with my hairy armpit artistic girlfriend? :D

Anyway here are some :rofl: kart goodies. Mii's are decided if they're s/m/l by weight, I checked a fat short Mii and it appeared tall since it just slaps the head on the large Mii driver frame.
IMG_9546.jpg

IMG_9556.jpg

IMG_9553.jpg

IMG_9552.jpg

IMG_9555.jpg

IMG_9554.jpg

Sweet! I just ordered this from MegaFreebie. Hopefully I won't get it to far after the release. For some reason I thought MK came out this week.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Daisy is indeed in the game. Theres only 3 new characters AFAIK.
Rosalina, Funky Kong, Skeleton Bowser
[/QUOTE]

:rofl: at number 1.
:roll: @ nuber 2. I would rather see
Dixie
:whistle2:s @ number 3. WTF?

1. Well they use a whole lot of light blooming from Galaxy and the new Rainbow Road is Galaxy inspired.
2. He has an EXTREME stunt type arena level in battle mode. Actually a really fun level for tricks. Ramps and boosts galore.
3. Yea I don't know.

At least there's Miis. Sadly when you play online though you can only use your default MK License Mii. Using any Mii is only available in multiplayer.

[quote name='CouRageouS']1. Well they use a whole lot of light blooming from Galaxy and the new Rainbow Road is Galaxy inspired.
2. He has an EXTREME stunt type arena level in battle mode. Actually a really fun level for tricks. Ramps and boosts galore.
3. Yea I don't know.

At least there's Miis. Sadly when you play online though you can only use your default MK License Mii. Using any Mii is only available in multiplayer.[/quote]

Wow, they kinda screwed up on the characters... What about all the awesome Warioware characters?! But noooo, babies are more important!

Anyway, what do you mean about default mk license mii? Does that mean you can only use one of the miis you've made, or you have to choose a generic one provided by the game?

[quote name='leveskikesko']Wow, they kinda screwed up on the characters... What about all the awesome Warioware characters?! But noooo, babies are more important!

Anyway, what do you mean about default mk license mii? Does that mean you can only use one of the miis you've made, or you have to choose a generic one provided by the game?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that a MK License = Save file. Which of course allows you to choose one of YOUR Miis.
On that note, are there more then one save files.. or more licenses?

So are these all the babies in the game?
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, and Bowser? I'd think they would have done Baby Wario before Daisy..but whatever. Has Baby Daisy ever been in a game?

Just saw the japenese trailor over at IGN and this game looks like it is going to be really good. Definately way better than double dash, now if they would just bring back that feather.

The feather was only in the original. They even removed it from the GBA version IIRC. Now 6 or7 MKs later (I'm including the Arcade games) the feather is not coming back.

bread's done
Back