Marvel vs. Capcom 3 discussion thread

[quote name='KingBroly']So was Captain America. What's your point?[/QUOTE]

He had a point, but unfortunately he misread the post thinking it meant all new characters, as opposed to newly announced characters. Don't be a dick.

[quote name='seanr1221']So...you think if the game's characters were 2D there would be more.

I can pretty much guarantee there wouldn't, and I'm glad they stuck with 3D.[/QUOTE]

That's not what I was saying or was trying to imply. I was just listing things that are already making this game out to be a disappointment IMO.

And with what you said earlier about "did they screw up Street Fighter IV or TvC", I wouldn't necessarily say they screwed up with IV, but I felt it was a step down from III. I can't comment on SSFIV because I haven't played it yet, but hearing about the addition of Dudley made me feel all fuzzy inside.

As for TvC, I haven't had much time with it. but like I said, from what I played, I wouldn't put it anywhere near MvC2.

I dunno, when I look at a game like BlazBlue (or even Guilty Gear for that matter) vs SFIV or TvC, in terms of aesthetics, there just is no comparison. That's just my feelings though; I had high hopes for this being that MvC2 is probably my favorite fighting game ever, and those screens look like TvC with Marvel characters instead. Granted, it's still a ways off so I'll reserve my final judgment til closer to release

/wallotext

You are making up your mind way too early. All we have is a few secondhand reports and some damn lovely screenshots that apparently put you off somehow. But there's a long way to go before anyone is disappointed.

Low-res 2D sprites would really limit them in terms of what they can do with the game and how impressive it would look. If they switched to hi-res hand-drawn sprites, there's no way we'd have nearly as many characters (nor could there be cinematic camera angles). Of course I wouldn't mind some new hand-drawn art, but I can move with the times.

(I am kind of hoping that the TvC control comparison ends up being wrong though.)

[quote name='GuardianE']Considering that the latest screenshots show a background of the Daily Bugle with a giant float of Spider-man, I would hope there isn't a licensing issue here. Maybe there's something specifically about being unable to use the actual character, but it would seem odd for them to include a stage based around Spider-man, but not Spider-man himself.[/QUOTE]

I'm to understand that the 'Marvel fighting license' (which was once with EA) should allow Capcom to use characters that are in license agreements with other companies. I believe Activision only has the rights for Spider-Man in action or adventure games, but not fighting games.

Who knows, though? Maybe they'll just end up using some villains.

Damn, I think it looks pretty bad ass. But yeah, I'll have to reserve judgment until we see it in motion.

Hmm.. they look like toys, seems like plastic or something. It's still a new Marvel so I don't care. I'm concerned with the three button layout don't like it much in TvC so we'll see.

[quote name='LostRoad']Hmm.. they look like toys, seems like plastic or something. It's still a new Marvel so I don't care. I'm concerned with the three button layout don't like it much in TvC so we'll see.[/QUOTE]

Technically, it's a 6 button layout.

[quote name='Indignate']I'm really not digging the art style.

I'll hold off on the word 'hate' until I see it in action.[/QUOTE]

I'm really with you. I'm less than impressed, but we'll see

This is one of the games I'm looking forward to seeing more of at E3. We haven't really seen a full combat video so it's too soon to speak on how it will look visually. Went to Scandia(a family arcade center type thing) and was tearing people up in MVC2. Must have been my lucky day because it's usually I who is walking away from the cabinet with the loss.

Amazing game play vid but could have easily done without the mediocre VA work... ugh. Definitely maining Chris, Deadpool and Dante though and those tag in air combos look especially nasty.

I noticed in these new vids that the word "Viewtiful!" comes up after some big combos, so I'm going to predict that Joe is indeed in the game. Unless we know that already, in which case, disregard.

I'd imagine the Capcom characters from TvC will be in it, especially since the control style is the same. All they'd have to do is change the character models a bit.

I don't have any complaints when it comes to what I've seen from these games. I'm still hoping for at least thirty characters.

Apparently Dormammu (Dr. Strange's adversary) is the boss of the game. I don't have a link for confirmation, but it sounds correct.

dormammu%204.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dormammu

Last edited by a moderator:
Possible leaked list for MvC3:

ryu
chun
bison
volnutt
roll
zero
chris
wesker
dante
trish
morrigan
felicia
joe
frank
frankalt_chuck
mike
arthur
wolverine
storm
cyclops
magneto
spider
venom
hulk
iron
ironalt_war
america
thor
doom
skrull
strange
dormammu
deadpool
marvel

Apparently taken from the page source of marvelvscapcom3.com. Oops.

Overall, I'm okay with that. Especially for the first iteration of the new engine.

Thanks, Guardian! Gonna fix that list up a bit. EDIT: List is unlikely to be correct.

Rumored Marvel VS. Capcom 3 Character Roster

Capcom:

Street Fighters
  • Ryu
  • Chun Li
  • Bison (Dictator)
Mega Man
  • Mega Man Volnutt
  • Roll
  • Zero
Resident Evil
  • Chris Redfield
  • Wesker
Devil May Cry
  • Dante
  • Trish
Darkstalkers
  • Morrigan
  • Felicia
Dead Rising
  • Frank
  • Chuck (Frank's alternate skin)
Final Fight?
  • Mike (Mike Haggar?)
Ghosts N Goblins
  • Arthur
Viewtiful Joe
  • Viewtiful Joe

Marvel:

X-Men
  • Wolverine
  • Cyclops
  • Storm
  • Magneto (X-Men nemesis)
Spider-Man
  • Spider-Man
  • Venom (Spider-Man nemesis)
Avengers
  • Captain America
  • Hulk
  • Iron Man
  • War Machine (Iron Man alternate skin)
  • Thor
  • Skrull (Avengers nemesis)
Dr. Strange
  • Dr. Strange
  • Dormammu (Dr. Strange nemesis)
Etcetera
  • Deadpool
  • Ms. Marvel
  • Dr. Doom (Fantastic Four nemesis)

[quote name='ubernes']I assume Joe is Viewtiful Joe.[/QUOTE]

Either Viewtiful Joe or Joe from Bionic Commando. I'm guessing Viewtiful Joe since he's already made a vs. appearance.

Ms. Marvel is a shoe-in, and helps to make up for the sausagefest Marvel side. It's either her or Marvel Girl, but I think Ms. Marvel has been getting more publicity lately.

I'm sure Bison is Dictator, since this is from the American website. It also makes more sense storywise to put the villain in instead of Boxer, as there are limited characters slots.

[quote name='eastx']Apparently Dormammu (Dr. Strange's adversary) is the boss of the game. I don't have a link for confirmation, but it sounds correct.[/QUOTE]

Was that the guy who shows up at the end of the trailer or someone else? Also fucking Hagger and Arthur.. shit just got real.

[quote name='LostRoad']Was that the guy who shows up at the end of the trailer or someone else? Also fucking Hagger and Arthur.. shit just got real.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's Dormammu. Apparently he can do something with dimensions, which is presumably how they're going to explain why Marvel and Capcom characters are in the same world.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']I wonder if the Hood will show up.[/QUOTE]

That'd be pretty cool. Get a newer villian from Marvel in the game would be pretty sweet.

Also, if that list is true then it's just ok. There are much better X-Men to put in the game over Storm. People Psylocke, Namor, Archangel, Domino or Gambit. But who knows, they may be in the game. All speculation at this point.

The list came from a gamefaqs poster who insinuated that it came from the japanese website. I'm now second guessing posting it, because I'm not all that confident of the source anymore.

Corrected!

Leaked Marvel VS. Capcom 3 Character Roster

Capcom:

Street Fighter
  • Ryu
  • Chun Li
  • Akuma
Darkstalkers
  • Morrigan
  • Felicia
  • Hsien-Ko
Mega Man
  • Zero
  • Tron Bonne
Resident Evil
  • Chris Redfield
  • Albert Wesker
Devil May Cry
  • Dante
  • Trish
Dead Rising
  • Frank
  • Chuck (Frank's alternate skin)
Viewtiful Joe
  • Viewtiful Joe
Okami
  • Ameratsu
Bionic Commando
  • Nathan Spencer
Final Fight
  • Mike Haggar
Ghosts N Goblins
  • Arthur

Marvel:

X-Men
  • Wolverine
  • X-23
  • Emma Frost
  • Magneto (X-Men nemesis)
  • Juggernaut (X-Men nemesis)
Spider-Man
  • Spider-Man
Avengers
  • Captain America
  • Hulk
  • Iron Man
  • War Machine (Iron Man alternate skin)
  • Thor
Fantastic Four
  • Mr. Fantastic
  • Dr. Doom (Fantastic Four nemesis)
  • Super Skrull (Fantastic Four nemesis)

Dr. Strange
  • Shuma-Gorath (Dr. Strange nemesis)
  • Dormammu (Dr. Strange nemesis, not playable)
Deadpool
  • Deadpool
  • Taskmaster
Etcetera
  • Elektra
  • She-Hulk

I was hoping Ms Marvel was in the game as an alternative for not including Rogue. This rumored list is pretty amazing without, though.

X-23? SOLD!

Emma Frost? Mr. Fantastic? WESKER!? Please be true. :pray:

I am wary, though. Didn't Ryota Niitsuma (MvC3's director) say that they couldn't get any Fantastic Four characters into the game?

Thor will be all I need to know

I know he's fought the Avengers but Super Skrull is more recognized as a FF villain. Considering he has all four of their powers it's an ingenious way to include the powers of the FF without taking up 4 character slots. Kinda like what the did with Ryu in MvC, giving him the ability to change his style into Akuma & Ken.

That was leftover from the old list just saying Skrull, and Skrulls are going to be the main villains in the Avengers movie, so I had put him there. Will fix now.

Cool trailer. Dormammu as a boss makes perfect sense since he's an interdimensional being. I can already see how the a story will unfold.

I'd like to see a Capcom counterpart to Dormammu but it's hard to think of someone as powerful.

bread's done
Back