Mass Effect 2 coming to PS3 January 2011

[quote name='Beatofficer']Isn't the level cap 30?[/QUOTE]

You might be right.

I was thinking ME1.

Did you go to the giants parade? i was there!

My 2010 Highlight !

[quote name='Brainberry']You might be right.

I was thinking ME1.

Did you go to the giants parade? i was there!

My 2010 Highlight ![/QUOTE]

Yep, called in sick for it haha

what are your favorite guns in mass effect to use?

also which one do you think is the best sniper rife.. i just got a new one during Miranda's Loyalty quest, and it isn't that great

[quote name='billyrox']what are your favorite guns in mass effect to use?

also which one do you think is the best sniper rife.. i just got a new one during Miranda's Loyalty quest, and it isn't that great[/QUOTE]

I currently love the Widow anti-material rifle. Story wise I am not far, but have been completing side/loyalty missions:

For Grunt's loyalty you have to just "last" against the thresher maul. The Widow without ammo upgrades it can still easily take it out faster than most heavy weapons

Did I miss something? There was supposed to be an interactive comic right? I never saw it EVER. Also at what point am I able to select my class?

[quote name='K3NNY']Did I miss something? There was supposed to be an interactive comic right? I never saw it EVER. Also at what point am I able to select my class?[/QUOTE]

I have the DL version and the comic should happen right when you start your game, before you select your class.

[quote name='billyrox']what are your favorite guns in mass effect to use?

also which one do you think is the best sniper rife.. i just got a new one during Miranda's Loyalty quest, and it isn't that great[/QUOTE]

The sniper rifle I'm currently using is called a Viper. It's dope.

What difficulty levels are you playing at? I was playing normal the first 15 hrs, but seriiously its really really easy and the game just autoplays. So i switched to veteran and its harder and i die more, but its making the game last longer ;p

[quote name='K3NNY']Did I miss something? There was supposed to be an interactive comic right? I never saw it EVER. Also at what point am I able to select my class?[/QUOTE]

You need to make sure that the Cerberus Network is installed. The comic is apart of that pack.

Choices (warning SPOILER!)
I killed Samara, because Morinth said she was more powerful. Renegade points! Her last ability is too good too.

I want to pick this up but I had a bad experience with Fallout 3 freezing up every 30 minutes or so, and I've read sporadic reports of this game doing the same thing.

For those of you that own this and have played it a good bit, can you comment on the freezing situation?

PSN version here.

The game can freeze during armor customizations and sometimes during menu screens. However it does not happen very often.

Have not experienced the save glitch. Currently waiting for the patch to play some more.

[quote name='tcatsninfan']I want to pick this up but I had a bad experience with Fallout 3 freezing up every 30 minutes or so, and I've read sporadic reports of this game doing the same thing.

For those of you that own this and have played it a good bit, can you comment on the freezing situation?[/QUOTE]

I've played for 25 hours so far (disc version) and haven't had a freeze. Some slowdown, got stuck in a wall once, but no hard freezes.

This is crazy, I have all but three achievements in the 360 version and today I bought the PS3 version of ME 2....

[quote name='Amblix']I was level 29 when I tried Insanity, still hard as balls.[/QUOTE]

I might have to restart a new career and choose soldier.

its hard going through insanity w/o assault rifles.

Bought the game a few hours ago and have been playing it. Everything is great EXCEPT that the screen goes black everytime I access my "Personal Log" or whatever it's called on the ship. I've accessed it 3 times and the screen turned black 3 times, and each time I have to completely exit out of the game and go back in.

The log is the thing you use to check messages and such. Not vital but aggravating if I have to restart the game everytime I want to check my mail.

Oh, and this isn't a huge thing but I've also been noticing out of sync voices/sounds during cutscenes, as many others have. It's like a badly dubbed kung-fu movie.

I'll be out of town for about 3 days so I'm hoping some patches get put out soon.

insanity mode gets easy after you've been to horizon. best advice i can give is to acquire warp ammo and level it up to squad warp ammo if youre not a soldier. and mordin becomes surprisingly valuable due to his incinerate.

aside from that, highly suggest doing insanity as soldier, the ammo power ups will save your ass against all forms of enemies.

I got this game via download, with my 650kbps AT&t internet I had to leave my PS3 on for about 4 days to install. Not all day of course.

To be honest I'm not getting any of this character or weapon upgrade stuff (not into rpgs) I'm going through the game with the already available guns. I'm really liking the story though, I just rescued Archangel who seems like a "cool" character.

However, I got a problem with the game. The dialogue gets cut off often. Usually after I make a decision my character's sentence gets cut off half way through. Anyone else have this issue?

[quote name='Buuhan1']I'm refusing to play anymore till the patch is released, and honestly, it's painful.[/QUOTE]

Backing up your save to a flash drive, deleting the corrupted save, and restoring the backup has been confirmed to work. You can even save a backup to another profile and restore it from there.

I wouldn't stop playing because of it. I would do the following though:

1.) Don't play for too many hours in a row
2.) Save constantly
3.) Avoid the Shadow Broker mission (which is where most of the corrupted saves happen)

Besides that, there isn't anything major that should prevent you from playing the game. I'm not too optimistic about Bioware fixing this quickly, despite their quick response in the official forums. I feel like that was damage control.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='D_Icon']I got this game via download, with my 650kbps AT&t internet I had to leave my PS3 on for about 4 days to install. Not all day of course.

To be honest I'm not getting any of this character or weapon upgrade stuff (not into rpgs) I'm going through the game with the already available guns. I'm really liking the story though, I just rescued Archangel who seems like a "cool" character.

However, I got a problem with the game. The dialogue gets cut off often. Usually after I make a decision my character's sentence gets cut off half way through. Anyone else have this issue?[/QUOTE]

My download took like 4 hours or less. Anyway, I think it's kind of silly to not upgrade your character or weapon. I highly doubt you can get through the game okay without doing so. I also think it takes away from the overall experience Bioware intended by not doing so. This isn't purely a third person shooter. Even if you don't like RPG's, you're playing one (at least a hybrid); accept that or you'll probably suffer consequences later on. I'm about 20 hours personally, and I know for a fact I'd probably die a hell of a lot more without any of the upgrades I've done for me and my crew. You're pretty early on so you still have time to come to this realization.

I haven't experienced any dialogues getting cut off. Are you sure you're not accidentally pressing the square button? That interrupts the dialogue.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I haven't experienced any dialogues getting cut off. Are you sure you're not accidentally pressing the square button? That interrupts the dialogue.[/QUOTE]

I know exactly what he's talking about, my dialog gets cut off as well, but it's usually like the half of the last word the person says gets cut off for no reason. And I myself also do the weapon upgrades and stuff, but I never really notice a difference unless I'm adding those elements too it like cryo and stuff.

Enemies do level up. Which is why you are going to want to upgrade your weapons. ME2 has less rpg elements than ME1, but the effects are still there.

Right now my heavy pistol is fully upgraded and has heavy disruptor ammo. To synthetics it short circuits them. Sometimes a headshot will one drop. To organics its causes them to overheat their weapons, causing them to reload. Again one shot drop on headshots.

Anything with a barrier I have my teammates take of and I ruin any armor enemies with my Widow anti-material rifle and heavy incinerate.

[quote name='D_Icon']I got this game via download, with my 650kbps AT&t internet I had to leave my PS3 on for about 4 days to install. Not all day of course.

However, I got a problem with the game. The dialogue gets cut off often. Usually after I make a decision my character's sentence gets cut off half way through. Anyone else have this issue?[/QUOTE]

One of the reasons I just can't see myself playing this series on the PS3, for players of ME1, the Archangel "reveal" was an awesome surprise (though I wondered when I first saw him...........)

You just can't get that without playing ME1.

Loaded up my game this morning and there was no option to Resume or Load a game. I started to panic because I was 20 hours into the game and the save I copied to a flash drive was about 12 hours.

I quit the game and checked my save files and the 20 hour save was there. Restarted the game and it allowed me to load the save. Problem solved.

Anyone else experience this?

[quote name='ssjmichael']My download took like 4 hours or less. Anyway, I think it's kind of silly to not upgrade your character or weapon. I highly doubt you can get through the game okay without doing so. I also think it takes away from the overall experience Bioware intended by not doing so. This isn't purely a third person shooter. Even if you don't like RPG's, you're playing one (at least a hybrid); accept that or you'll probably suffer consequences later on. I'm about 20 hours personally, and I know for a fact I'd probably die a hell of a lot more without any of the upgrades I've done for me and my crew. You're pretty early on so you still have time to come to this realization.

I haven't experienced any dialogues getting cut off. Are you sure you're not accidentally pressing the square button? That interrupts the dialogue.[/QUOTE]

Exactly right, if you never upgrade weapons...............well then good luck on insanity, that's the only thing that saves you :D

Does the corrupt save glitch effect only one save or could it have a chance to corrupt your whole profile? Just curious because I now know I have to backups my saves to a flash drive, but I want to be as protected as possible because 13 hrs down the drain would suck. I already have about 5 ME2 saves on the PS3.

[quote name='j-cart']Enemies do level up. Which is why you are going to want to upgrade your weapons. ME2 has less rpg elements than ME1, but the effects are still there.

Right now my heavy pistol is fully upgraded and has heavy disruptor ammo. To synthetics it short circuits them. Sometimes a headshot will one drop. To organics its causes them to overheat their weapons, causing them to reload. Again one shot drop on headshots.

Anything with a barrier I have my teammates take of and I ruin any armor enemies with my Widow anti-material rifle and heavy incinerate.[/QUOTE]

The best combo for a enemy with barrier and armor (on higher difficulty) is heavy warp and incinerate. You can practically let them do 80% of the work.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Does the corrupt save glitch effect only one save or could it have a chance to corrupt your whole profile? Just curious because I now know I have to backups my saves to a flash drive, but I want to be as protected as possible because 13 hrs down the drain would suck. I already have about 5 ME2 saves on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

It corrupts all saves, not just the last one you used.

So are we getting a patch yet or what? No press release, nothing......

Nevermind. I found this on the Bioware forums. Dunno if this has already been posted.

Chris Priestly Created about 9 days ago
Hello everyone

First, we are sorry some of you have had problems playing Mass Effect 2 on the Playstation 3 and want to thank you all for providing feedback on our forums on both the freezing and resulting save game issue that some of you have experienced. The information and support you have provided has helped the development team to build the latest patch. We’re currently testing the patch thoroughly, we expect to be finished our quality passes on Friday. This patch is then being delivered to Sony ASAP for verification and distribution. We will announce as soon the patch is available. Please see the below patch notes for a complete list of what will be included:

Patch Notes
-Fixed a crash related to memory fragmentation. This fix will also resolve the crashing that corrupted Save Games.
-Slightly improved load times and level streaming.
-Added some telemetry to better improve future titles.
-Updated some strings to fix spelling mistakes (Sorry Kaidan!)
-Fixed the picture frame in Shepard’s Cabin to accurately reflect your love interest choices in Mass Effect: Genesis.
-Fixed a rare crash in the PSN version in Shepard’s Cabin.

We want you to be able to continue playing while you wait for the patch. While data and telemetry have shown that very few people have seen this issue, we know a few of you here have experienced this problem. There is a very simple work around to ensure the freezing and corruption issues are minimized. Simply restart your game every few hours. By shutting down and restarting your game, you will not encounter the corrupted save issue.”

Once again, thank you for your feedback which has helped us get to a resolution.

I wanna play, but I'm paranoid. I have no flash drives or anything I can copy data to, and the save data cannot be copied to another account on the PS3. Should I risk it? I spent $50 on this game, I deserve to play it when I want to without fear of being screwed.

Patch this damn thing. I want to buy it before the Kmart sale ends but I don't want to buy it for over ~40 if I can't start playing it safely within like a week.

[quote name='GTmaster39']

Patch Notes
-Fixed a crash related to memory fragmentation. This fix will also resolve the crashing that corrupted Save Games.
-Slightly improved load times and level streaming.
[/QUOTE]

Thank god we are seeing an decrease in load times. I hate spawning at a heavy combat point, dying and then having to wait 30+ seconds for it to load again. I mean I am not expecting ultra fast but 30+ seconds is pretty bad.

[quote name='jax2001']Loaded up my game this morning and there was no option to Resume or Load a game. I started to panic because I was 20 hours into the game and the save I copied to a flash drive was about 12 hours.

I quit the game and checked my save files and the 20 hour save was there. Restarted the game and it allowed me to load the save. Problem solved.

Anyone else experience this?[/QUOTE]

scary. usually when that happens the save is corrupted. Make sure to back up constantly

AND TO EVERYONE: DO NOT PLAY THE LAIR OF THE SHADOW BROKER MISSION. There have been numerous reports that the game freezes more there than anywhere else and will corrupt your save.

Additionally, do not attempt to talk about the Lotsb until you've asked Liara about Samara (and Thane). You will lose the ability to do so after and that essentially breaks the game.

[quote name='ssjmichael']scary. usually when that happens the save is corrupted. Make sure to back up constantly

AND TO EVERYONE: DO NOT PLAY THE LAIR OF THE SHADOW BROKER MISSION. There have been numerous reports that the game freezes more there than anywhere else and will corrupt your save.

Additionally, do not attempt to talk about the Lotsb until you've asked Liara about Samara (and Thane). You will lose the ability to do so after and that essentially breaks the game.[/QUOTE]

weird, i never experience any problems playing, shadow broker runs without a hitch. perhaps ticking off the auto sign onto ea servers and playing the game not signed onto the psn is the trick, cuz thats what i do. if you played fallout 3 your game would freeze and saves corrupt just by playing while being signed onto the psn.

Yeah some have been lucky enough to get through it without problems, but at the bioware forums that's the place where people consistently get a frozen game/corrupted save. Right when you enter the car or something.

I'm going to hold off doing that one till after I finish the main game at least. Thankfully it was just a DLC add-on and not required to complete ME2. I hear it impacts ME3 though

[quote name='ssjmichael']scary. usually when that happens the save is corrupted. Make sure to back up constantly

Additionally, do not attempt to talk about the Lotsb until you've asked Liara about Samara (and Thane). You will lose the ability to do so after and that essentially breaks the game.[/QUOTE]

Where does this mission come up in the game and what's the name of it (I did beat ME2 before but never played the DLC)? I just want to be sure so I know when to deal with it. I figure there is going to be a point I have to stop playing this game until it is patched, hopefully I don't come across that point.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Where does this mission come up in the game and what's the name of it (I did beat ME2 before but never played the DLC)? I just want to be sure so I know when to deal with it. I figure there is going to be a point I have to stop playing this game until it is patched, hopefully I don't come across that point.[/QUOTE]

There's a point where you have to go to Illium to speak to Liara. During that conversation she starts to talk about a Shadow Broker, and you do certain thingsJust avoid that one until after the main campaign for her like hack terminals and try to find some guy for her to kill. Anyway at one point one of the choices in the dialogue after you do all that is is something like "Let's get the Shadow Broker". I just ended the convo after that. If you go back that option will still be there so I assume that's how that mission starts.

For me this was about 20 hours in, but it varies depending on what missions you do first and how fast you play through, etc..

[quote name='ssjmichael']There's a point where you have to go to Illium to speak to Liara. During that conversation she starts to talk about a Shadow Broker, and you do certain thingsJust avoid that one until after the main campaign for her like hack terminals and try to find some guy for her to kill. Anyway at one point one of the choices in the dialogue after you do all that is is something like "Let's get the Shadow Broker". I just ended the convo after that. If you go back that option will still be there so I assume that's how that mission starts.

For me this was about 20 hours in, but it varies depending on what missions you do first and how fast you play through, etc..[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the help. Once I get to that part I might as well just wait for the patch just incase something else goes wrong to ruin my saves.

As long as you back them up to a flash drive on a regular basis you should be okay. The workaround has been confirmed to fix corrupted saves by a few people. Basically you replace the corrupted save with the one on the drive

Here's a thread about it: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/292/index/5852548

Aside from a flash drive, you can also copy the save to another ps3 profile

I've been playing past the encounter with Liara and so far so good. It's quite an addictive game so it's hard for me to keep away :D

[quote name='ssjmichael']There's a point where you have to go to Illium to speak to Liara. During that conversation she starts to talk about a Shadow Broker, and you do certain thingsJust avoid that one until after the main campaign for her like hack terminals and try to find some guy for her to kill. Anyway at one point one of the choices in the dialogue after you do all that is is something like "Let's get the Shadow Broker". I just ended the convo after that. If you go back that option will still be there so I assume that's how that mission starts.

For me this was about 20 hours in, but it varies depending on what missions you do first and how fast you play through, etc..[/QUOTE]That is correct, yes. It should show on the galaxy map as "Take a cab to Liara's" under Illium when it's queued up and ready to go, plus Liara won't be in her office once it's ready to go.

Once you have Illium as an option and you've done the mission for her to do data collection for the Shadow Broker's agent, you'll have it as a mission you can start with the "Let's get the Shadow Broker" dialogue option.

I think I'm going to platinum the game today, just finished the
IFF
mission so I'm pretty close. For my Insanity run I decided to go Adept and using team members Mordin and Zaeed with great success. However, the mission on
the Reaper
and you're trying to
blow up the core
but every time it opens like 20-30
Husks
came out was pretty annoying even with Inferno Grenade pretty much getting rid of their armor and Singularity instant killing 4 at a time.

[quote name='Beatofficer']I think I'm going to platinum the game today, just finished the
IFF
mission so I'm pretty close. For my Insanity run I decided to go Adept and using team members Mordin and Zaeed with great success. However, the mission on
the Reaper
and you're trying to
blow up the core
but every time it opens like 20-30
Husks
came out was pretty annoying even with Inferno Grenade pretty much getting rid of their armor and Singularity instant killing 4 at a time.[/QUOTE]

using the cain heavy weapon destroys that core in one hit for you, once its open, use it.
i just got my platinum today, waiting for upcoming dlc and got my maxed out shepard ready for mass effect 3

Just got my platinum, first platinum for me too, I got close with FF13, but getting the all items achievement made me want to slit my wrists. The last fight is definitely a lot more fun on Insanity, that's for sure. Now to wait for the DLC, I have my complete Shep too. :mrgreen:

[quote name='ssjmichael']As long as you back them up to a flash drive on a regular basis you should be okay. The workaround has been confirmed to fix corrupted saves by a few people. Basically you replace the corrupted save with the one on the drive

Here's a thread about it: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/292/index/5852548

Aside from a flash drive, you can also copy the save to another ps3 profile

I've been playing past the encounter with Liara and so far so good. It's quite an addictive game so it's hard for me to keep away :D[/QUOTE]

How? The save file is anti-copying. Only the Shepard profile is able to be copied for me.

[quote name='Beatofficer']Just got my platinum, first platinum for me too, I got close with FF13, but getting the all items achievement made me want to slit my wrists. The last fight is definitely a lot more fun on Insanity, that's for sure. Now to wait for the DLC, I have my complete Shep too. :mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

platinum was too easy for this game i think. i feel like making a renegade only shepard and
have every1 die at the end, oughta make an interesting mass effect 3

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back