Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

So wait... who has been confirmed? Legion or Garrus? Both? I can't recall whether or not Garrus was confirmed but that is probably because I don't care for him that much.

Quick question:

Picked up the ME1 DLC yesterday and want to install it now to use with my current playthrough. Will the DLC missions be accessible with my current game or does it need to be installed when starting a new game? Also, do I have to be connected to XBLA to access it once it's already been downloaded (ran into this problem with DA:O)?

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']So wait... who has been confirmed? Legion or Garrus? Both? I can't recall whether or not Garrus was confirmed but that is probably because I don't care for him that much.[/QUOTE]
Garrus was confirmed awhile back. Legion was just confirmed.

[quote name='Draekon']DLC Details[/QUOTE]

That's not surprising and that's what I had previous thought. It's just like the incentive to get Gears of War 2 new and Forza3, they give you more content for your purchase. Ironically I got Forza3 with gamestop's B2G1 free used deal and it came with all the extras.:D

It just seems odd to me to have to pay for a Cerberus card to be able to have a pipeling to the DLC. I feel like that should already be included in the game.

I do like that the DLC day 1 is free. I'll download it as soon as I pick it up.

Thanks Rei. I'm going to have a lot of fun
pairing Legion up with Tali in my second play-through.

[quote name='Temidien']Quick question:

Picked up the ME1 DLC yesterday and want to install it now to use with my current playthrough. Will the DLC missions be accessible with my current game or does it need to be installed when starting a new game? Also, do I have to be connected to XBLA to access it once it's already been downloaded (ran into this problem with DA:O)?[/QUOTE]

Both DLC are available in-game after Eden Prime and the initial visit to the Citadel on the Normandy galaxy map. You shouldn't have to be connected after installing to play either of them.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Thanks Rei. I'm going to have a lot of fun
pairing Legion up with Tali in my second play-through.

Both DLC are available in-game after Eden Prime and the initial visit to the Citadel on the Normandy galaxy map. You shouldn't have to be connected after installing to play either of them.[/QUOTE]
Actually you have to be a Spectre before you can use Pinnacle Station, I think.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']It just seems odd to me to have to pay for a Cerberus card to be able to have a pipeling to the DLC. I feel like that should already be included in the game.

I do like that the DLC day 1 is free. I'll download it as soon as I pick it up.[/QUOTE]

It just seems odd to me that you find this odd. You're not paying for the card, its packaged with all and any new copy, you're paying for distribution, publisher, developer, marketing & retail cut. It's just another incentive to buy new. At least we don't have golden rocket launchers to pick up for new copies, imo this is much better and the perfect way to include dlc free when they finished the dlc after going gold. Just wish Borderlands had done this approach.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Actually you have to be a Spectre before you can use Pinnacle Station, I think.[/QUOTE]

Indeed but you can't actually
LEAVE the Citadel
until you become one so my statement is still sound. ^_^

[quote name='Spybreak8']It just seems odd to me that you find this odd. You're not paying for the card, its packaged with all and any new copy, you're paying for distribution, publisher, developer, marketing & retail cut. It's just another incentive to buy new. At least we don't have golden rocket launchers to pick up for new copies, imo this is much better and the perfect way to include dlc free when they finished the dlc after going gold. Just wish Borderlands had done this approach.[/QUOTE]
I think I'm confised about it.. So once you get the Cerberus card all the DLC will be free? I was thinking that the people that get used copies have to buy their way into the place to buy DLC at, then they would have to purchase it.

I do agree with you, though. I'd much rather have the DLC than any of the other in-game items and crap I've been given as a preorder bonus over the years.

I wish the first ME had better DLC. "Bring Down the Sky" was fun but a bit to expensive for just a few hours. Didn't even bother with Pinnacle Station.

But the ME2 DLC sounds like it's shaping up much better.

A friendly word of warning to you folks that are trying to avoid spoilers.

I just watched those Sci vs Fi documentary advertisement clips at Game Trailers and the third one has a few big spoilers in it..... so dumb, I dunno why I even bothered with those. :roll:

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I think I'm confised about it.. So once you get the Cerberus card all the DLC will be free? I was thinking that the people that get used copies have to buy their way into the place to buy DLC at, then they would have to purchase it.

I do agree with you, though. I'd much rather have the DLC than any of the other in-game items and crap I've been given as a preorder bonus over the years.[/QUOTE]
The card is a one time use code that lets you download the DLC. If you buy the game used/there's no card, you can purchase entry.

It figures that right when school starts back they have one of these huge ME2 days :bomb:. To recap all the events of today/tonight/upcoming, here you go...

Day 1 Mass Effect 2 Downloadable Content and Cerberus Network Card Information Revealed: (with the important parts highlighted in yellow)
[quote name='IGN']Those who purchase the title new will receive exclusive access to the 'The Cerberus Network,' an in-game pipeline for downloadable content, as well as daily messages and news on upcoming releases for the game at no additional cost. Acess requires players to input a single-use unlock code that comes included with all new copies, retail and digital versions.

"The Cerberus Network augments and extends the rich universe of Mass Effect 2," said Dr. Ray Muzyka, co-founder, BioWare and Group General Manager of the RPG/MMO Group of EA. "We're thrilled to be able to reward loyal BioWare and Mass Effect fans with ongoing, high quality content and provide a direct channel for our players to dive deeper into the intriguing lore of Mass Effect."

The first DLC pack is set for release at the game's launch on January 26, and will include new missions, in-game items, and characters. Zaeed Messani, a "rugged and deadly gun-for-hire" will join Commander Shepard in one of the new missions.

A second DLC pack, set for release "after launch" will included the Hammerhead, a new hover tank for players to take control of, along with "new missions and unique in-game items, including Cerberus Assault Armor which boost shields, health and heavy weapon ammo and the M-22 Eviscerator Shotgun."

If you're thinking about buying Mass Effect 2 used, BioWare says fans will have to pay for an activation code to join "The Cerberus Network," though pricing for a code was not revealed in the announcement. [/quote]
[quote name='TeamXbox']BioWare™, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), today revealed ‘The Cerberus Network’, an in-game portal in Mass Effect 2 that will keep fans engaged with the rich and dynamic Mass Effect universe through downloadable content (DLC) and news. ‘The Cerberus Network’ is activated exclusively by original purchasers of Mass Effect 2 through a single-use unlock code that comes included in retail and digital versions of the game worldwide. ‘The Cerberus Network’ is a conduit for players to receive bonus content as well as daily messages and news on upcoming releases for Mass Effect 2 for no extra charge. For players who do not buy the game new, ‘The Cerberus Network’ can be unlocked through a one-time, in-game purchase of a new activation code[/quote]

New codex information on the Collector and Drell races:
collectors.png

History

The Collectors come from beyond the Omega-4 mass relay, where no ship has ever returned. They are rarely seen in the Terminus system, let alone Citadel-controlled space. Most in galactic civilization consider them a myth, and those unfortunate enough to see them face-to-face rarely get the opportunity to ask questions. As their name indicates, they take captives, usually only a few at a time, always sentient beings with genetic aberrations. But now they have begun to abduct entire human colonies, and no one has a fitting explanation as to why.

Society

Not much is known about Collector society, as those who are unfortunate enough to run into the Collectors are seldom heard from or seen again. Collectors travel the galaxy on vast ships, but their origin and home world remains unknown.

Biology

Collectors are insect like and have fully developed wings that allow them to traverse the battlefield. Their skin is susceptible to modern weaponry, including explosives, incendiary rounds, and cryogenic rounds. Periodically, Collectors have been seen to be 'possessed' by an unknown overseer at which point their skin begins to emit a bright light. At this point they become more resilient and are capable of discharging powerful missiles from their body.
-----------------------------------------

drell.png

History

The drell ancestors emerged from dry, rocky deserts on the barren world of Rakhana. Eight centuries ago, the already-arid drell homeworld began its swift descent into lifelessness due to disastrous industrial expansion. At the time, the drell lacked interstellar flight capacity, and with their population bursting at 11 billion they faced certain doom. It was around this time that the hanar made first contact with the drell race. In the following ten years, the hanar would transport hundreds of thousands of drell to the hanar world, Kahje. The remaining billions left on Rakhana would perish on their dying planet, warring against each other for diminishing resources. The drell now thrive co-exhibiting with the Hanar and have been a part of the galactic civilization for roughly two centuries.

Society

Most drell are content to live on Kahje. They are afforded every opportunity to thrive by the hanar, yet some outsiders and even some hanar regard the drell as second class citizens. However it is quite the opposite, they have integrated themselves into every level of hanar society as respected, productive citizens.
Those who leave Kahje, tend to be adventures. These solitary drell travelers often seek out new species elsewhere, and in turn adopt that species' culture. Such drell number in the thousands, and are scattered across the galaxy, tending towards quiet, integrated lives.

Biology

Drell are omnivorous reptile-like humanoids with an average lifespan of 85 galactic standard years. Drell appearance is very similar to asari and humans, but their muscle tissue is slightly denser than that of humans, giving them a wiry strength. Many of their more reptilian features are concealed, however one unique characteristic is the hyoid bone in their throats, which allows them to inflate their throats and produce vocal sounds outside of the human range.
Because the drell ancestors emerged from arid, rocky deserts, the humid, ocean-covered hanar homeworld of Kahje proved tolerable only when the drell stayed inside a climate-controlled dome city.

TV Listings for tonight (01/19): *beware of possible spoilers*

@ 6:30 PM ET/ 5:30 PM CT - 30-minute Mass Effect 2 X-Play Special on G4TV.

@ 11:00 PM ET/ 10:00 PM CT - 30-minute Mass Effect 2 Special Sci vs. Fi on SyFy.

Upcoming Events:
1/21 - @ 12:00 PM ET/ 11:00 AM CT - Producer Jesse Houston will broadcast a live demo of Mass Effect 2 on Xfire. Prizes are also being given away.

[quote name='Dasflikko']A friendly word of warning to you folks that are trying to avoid spoilers.

I just watched those Sci vs Fi documentary advertisement clips at Game Trailers and the third one has a few big spoilers in it..... so dumb, I dunno why I even bothered with those. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure not to watch it. Sorry you got a spoiler.

Word to the wise for anyone trying to avoid spoilers: avoid Mass Effect 2 coverage like the plague from now until the moment you have the game in your hands. If you feel like taking a risk or simply don't care about spoilers, then you'll have your hands full with all the info that will hit between now and then.

I was hoping they were going to be some sort of you know... documentary... maybe some sort of intellectual look at the games and how they are helping to push the video game medium forward...

Instead, the videos turn out to be a vapid advertisement for Mass Effect 2, with some comments made by random douchebags like "GAME" (who the fuck is GAME) about how the game is just like real life or some bullshit. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']The card is a one time use code that lets you download the DLC. If you buy the game used/there's no card, you can purchase entry.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Idk why I got confused. I can't wait to see how good the DLC is.

:D

After watching all the job class videos I'm leaning torwards the Enginner, it looked the most fun. But also really like the Infiltrator's cloak ability combined with a sniper rifle. Reminds me of my Siren in Borderlands.

Don't mean to offend anyone since I see it's the most popular vote, but Soilder looks boring.

Well fuck, I wasn't expecting it, but so far X-Play's shown two sections of video that looked a lot like Spoilers. Especially about the 10th squadmate for those that were attempting to avoid it.

I've been watching it straight from the gate and I've yet to see any huge vids showcasing the 10th member yet. Maybe a brief glance here or there but nothing super serious. What I have seen though is making me froth at the mouth. I can't wait to watch the spat between
Miranda and Zero.

[quote name='Rodimus']After watching all the job class videos I'm leaning torwards the Enginner, it looked the most fun. But also really like the Infiltrator's cloak ability combined with a sniper rifle. Reminds me of my Siren in Borderlands.

Don't mean to offend anyone since I see it's the most popular vote, but Soilder looks boring.[/QUOTE]

My money is on a large majority of voters being completely new to the universe.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']I've been watching it straight from the gate and I've yet to see any huge vids showcasing the 10th member yet. Maybe a brief glance here or there but nothing super serious. What I have seen though is making me froth at the mouth. I can't wait to watch the spat between
Miranda and Zero.

[/QUOTE]

I saw him walking around in a couple of parts and it was surprising to me.

Also, they said ME2 starts only a couple of months after ME1? I thought it started a couple of years after...

The soundtrack for this game is outstanding. I would definitely suggest it to anyone who's really interested in the game. However, it should be noted that there are some potential (aka non-confirmed, but fairly obvious) spoilers residing the the track names. I can tell you that some of the track names spoil: some of the events at the beginning of the game, Subject Zero's first name, and the 10th squadmate, etc.

I noticed that too. I could have sworn it was two years though and not a couple of months. Sheesh... so who is mistaken here?

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']The soundtrack for this game is outstanding. I would definitely suggest it to anyone who's really interested in the game. However, it should be noted that there are some potential (aka non-confirmed, but fairly obvious) spoilers residing the the track names. I can tell you that some of the track names spoil: some of the events at the beginning of the game, Subject Zero's first name, and the 10th squadmate, etc.[/QUOTE]

I guess I should consider myself fortunate in lacking interest in most VG OSTs. Ridge Racer Type 4 being one of the few magnificent exceptions of our time.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']I noticed that too. I could have sworn it was two years though and not a couple of months. Sheesh... so who is mistaken here?

[/QUOTE]
I have no idea. I like it better two years after. Gives a lot more time for there to be change in the universe. It's kind of hard for me to really believe that so much has changed in the span of two months.

I don't think the guy would've been wrong because he's one of the people that worked on it, but now I'm just wondering who initially said it took place two years later.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I saw him walking around in a couple of parts and it was surprising to me.

Also, they said ME2 starts only a couple of months after ME1? I thought it started a couple of years after...[/QUOTE]
ME2 starts a couple months after of the first one, but due to certain things that happen at the very beginning of the game, the meat of the game doesn't start for a couple years.
[quote name='Rodimus']After watching all the job class videos I'm leaning torwards the Enginner, it looked the most fun. But also really like the Infiltrator's cloak ability combined with a sniper rifle. Reminds me of my Siren in Borderlands.

Don't mean to offend anyone since I see it's the most popular vote, but Soilder looks boring.[/QUOTE]
Soldier looks INSANELY boring. I really don't see the appeal at all. You get to use a lot of guns and bullet time? Ummm, no thanks.

The most fun I had with the Soldier class in the first was fiddling around with trained Snipers and ARs for the very first time. Very content with revamped combat as now dispatching a room full of baddies won't be as Biotic dependent as the first was but I agree. Soldier will end up one of the very last classes I touch come next week.

After watching that Xplay show I have to say this is going to be Gears of War 2 iiiinnnnn Spppppppacccceeeee... haha Also I'll probably see the Sci vs Fi show after I play the game like I did with the first Mass Effect.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']ME2 starts a couple months after of the first one, but due to certain things that happen at the very beginning of the game, the meat of the game doesn't start for a couple years.

Soldier looks INSANELY boring. I really don't see the appeal at all. You get to use a lot of guns and bullet time? Ummm, no thanks.[/QUOTE]

A gap in the story? Wow, gotta admit I wasn't expecting an in-game gap.

Soldier looks boring to me, too, just like the first game. I'm going with Vanguard like last time for my main, then I'll probably switch my soldier female Shepard into an Adept or Engineer.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']The soundtrack for this game is outstanding. I would definitely suggest it to anyone who's really interested in the game. However, it should be noted that there are some potential (aka non-confirmed, but fairly obvious) spoilers residing the the track names. I can tell you that some of the track names spoil: some of the events at the beginning of the game, Subject Zero's first name, and the 10th squadmate, etc.[/QUOTE]

Yeah and it's only $12 on ITunes for mp3 format but $18 on Amazon for mp3. Thought that was weird.

I like that they give you the information about the actions you chose. I definitely don't remember everything I did in all my playthroughs. They really thought this whole thing out really well.

Yeah. I was looking forward to importing my first character and then realized I couldn't remember what decisions I made. I was glad to see they give you a few details during the process to refresh your memory.

I kind of wish I didn't watch Sci vs Fi. It was interesting, but showed a little too much for my liking. I know that's my own fault, but I couldn't stop watching. >_

these pics are floating around someone got there hands on a copy of the colectors edition early and took pics of whats in it. It's the PC version but should still be the same as the xbox 360.

1263971195856.jpg
1263971373407.jpg
1263971671241.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^That must be rough. I can't wait 'till next week to play this. All these class trailers have done a good job of making the class look totally awesome. Haven't really decided yet, but I'm leaning towards a Vanguard for my main Shepherd.

I kind of stopped watching the trailers a couple of weeks ago so I really don't know what to expect with the classes etc. Hopefully it'll make the game x100 better now i've not ruined it for myself.

[quote name='poison_SHADOW']IGN.com now has a video showing off the character importing process. Looks simple enough.

Can't wait.[/QUOTE]

Just watched this. I was hoping that you could change your class from a previous game save, but based on the video I don't think it's going to be an option. Having a previous save seems like it can be very important: I heard that if you do not kill
Wrex in ME
then the character is
the ruler of his people when you run into him in ME2.
The problem is I killed the character on my vanguard and infiltrator playthroughs but not on my adept playthrough, but I did not have as much fun playing as an adept.

One more thing:
Snape kills Dumbledore

[quote name='dropbearGSH']Just watched this. I was hoping that you could change your class from a previous game save, but based on the video I don't think it's going to be an option. Having a previous save seems like it can be very important: I heard that if you do not kill
Wrex in ME
then the character is
the ruler of his people when you run into him in ME2.
The problem is I killed the character on my vanguard and infiltrator playthroughs but not on my adept playthrough, but I did not have as much fun playing as an adept.

One more thing:
Snape kills Dumbledore
[/QUOTE]
You can change class.

bread's done
Back