Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Well, I guess it's the moment of truth, I've reached Horizon on my Insanity playthough. So far the Collectors and Harbinger aren't putting up too tough of a fight, but I haven't reached the parts where they start throwing a ton of husks, Scions, and the Praetorian at you. But hey, once I beat this mission, it's all downhill from there, right? :)[/QUOTE]

From what I've heard, Kasumi's flash grenades are a godsend for those parts.

[quote name='MSUHitman']From what I've heard, Kasumi's flash grenades are a godsend for those parts.[/QUOTE]
Hmm. I was using Kasumi for a lot of missions early on but for Horizon I decided to bring Grunt for Squad Incendiary Ammo and Miranda for Warp and her squad damage bonus. I also changed my bonus power to Reave to have one more option against Barriers.

So, will they release a platinum edition of this game with the DLC included at some point??? Have stayed away from this thread as I haven't played the game yet....playing through ME1 at the moment.

Beat Horizon! It didn't end up being as tough as I expected... mostly because I used a cheap trick, taking out the two Scions as soon as I entered the last area, but before crossing the threshold that begins the battle. I thought all I was doing was taking the Scions themselves out of the first wave of the fight, but it actually triggered the game to skip the first wave altogether! The second wave was no trouble, and the Praetorian went down after just one reload. I might finish this game yet. :)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Beat Horizon! It didn't end up being as tough as I expected... mostly because I used a cheap trick, taking out the two Scions as soon as I entered the last area, but before crossing the threshold that begins the battle. I thought all I was doing was taking the Scions themselves out of the first wave of the fight, but it actually triggered the game to skip the first wave altogether! The second wave was no trouble, and the Praetorian went down after just one reload. I might finish this game yet. :)[/QUOTE]

What is the trick?

[quote name='Anexanhume']Use a sniper rifle to headshot them before you trigger the battle.[/QUOTE]

Crap. I'm playing as a Vanguard. Anyone have any pointers on beating that part as a Vanguard on Insanity difficulty?

[quote name='jjunior1212']Crap. I'm playing as a Vanguard. Anyone have any pointers on beating that part as a Vanguard on Insanity difficulty?[/QUOTE](Assuming you've put adequate points into Charge) Take cover > Charge > Shotgun > Melee 2x > Take cover > Charge > Shotgun > Melee 2x > Take cover > Charge > Shotgun > Melee 2x. Vanguard tactics are pretty straight forward, most of the time.

What is your build like?
What AI squadmates do you have with you, and what have you leveled up for them?

[quote name='Anexanhume']Use a sniper rifle to headshot them before you trigger the battle.[/QUOTE]
I actually didn't have a sniper rifle, which made it kind of tricky. I was able to spam Incinerate on one of them, but the other one was behind the cover in a way that made it impossible for me to arc a power at him, so I just had to take potshots with the Carnifex and Locust. Luckily he died before I ran out of ammo!

I'm just thankful for that Tech Damage upgrade in Kasumi's loyalty mission. In addition to the extra 10% damage bonus, it made it possible for me to research the 20% tech cooldown reduction before Horizon instead of after. That was a lifesaver. Not to mention the Locust SMG, which I can't imagine getting through Insanity without. Being able to do Kasumi's mission right at the start of the game is a serious boon for an Engineer. It was also great to be able to take Kasumi on some early missions rather than that Jacob douche!

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner'](Assuming you've put adequate points into Charge) Take cover > Charge > Shotgun > Melee 2x > Take cover > Charge > Shotgun > Melee 2x > Take cover > Charge > Shotgun > Melee 2x. Vanguard tactics are pretty straight forward, most of the time.

What is your build like?
What AI squadmates do you have with you, and what have you leveled up for them?[/QUOTE]

My tactic was pretty crude. I setup Miranda and Grunt as meat shields for the husks while I stood on the stairs and blasted away with the Collector beam gun.

Well... what have we here?

A Vanguard class discussion without yours truly present and properly accounted for?

I'm hurt guys... deeply hurt. ;(

Anyway... you might be going about the first half of the Horizon fight all wrong especially if you've specialized in Heavy Charge. If you've got the stomach for it I'd suggest manning up by ditching your dork brigade and rushing both Scions at once (Charge in). Circle strafe each one while laying down fire and charging appropriately. If you time each Charge correctly you'll regen your shields faster than the Scions cut through to your health bar, avoid shockwaves altogether and being over run by Husks at the same time. Once you've taken them out (one at a time of course...) the fight becomes a lot more manageable.

Remember kids: Real men use Vanguard on Insanity. ^_^

...in addition to the above statement:

If you're one of the people who bought the recent Aegis pack, the Kestrel Armor is pretty much the prototype Vanguard amor. Be sure to strap the complete armor set on before taking on Horizon or any part of the game that may/may not kick your ass on Insanity.

Kestrel Armor + Eviscerator shotgun = devastatingly powerful Vanguard.

Just a quick note, the third Mass Effect novel (Retribution) releases tomorrow. Amazon just notified me that mine has shipped so I can start reading it when I get home from work.

I preordered it for Kindle a while back, so it should download tomorrow. Have some other things I'm reading first though and won't rush as I wasn't a huge fan of the first 2 novels.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner'](Assuming you've put adequate points into Charge) Take cover > Charge > Shotgun > Melee 2x > Take cover > Charge > Shotgun > Melee 2x > Take cover > Charge > Shotgun > Melee 2x. Vanguard tactics are pretty straight forward, most of the time.

What is your build like?
What AI squadmates do you have with you, and what have you leveled up for them?[/QUOTE]

I did a pretty poor job on my vanguard build. I'm on level 30 with heavy charge, full shockwave, full pull, champion, three points into geth shield (picked this class instead of reave when doing a new game + ...pretty big mistake) and a one or two points in ammos.

At the check point right at the Scions and husks I have Miranda (Full Warp, Full Overload, and Full Cerebrus Officer) and Garrus (Turrian rebel, full concussive shot, and Full Overload). I also have the arc projector as my heavy weapon...should've kept the particle beam.

My squadmates die pretty quickly so maybe I should just try to take out the scions as quickly as possible and try to avoid the husks.

I am really struggling with this part. Thanks everyone for the advice.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Hmm. I was using Kasumi for a lot of missions early on but for Horizon I decided to bring Grunt for Squad Incendiary Ammo and Miranda for Warp and her squad damage bonus. I also changed my bonus power to Reave to have one more option against Barriers.[/QUOTE]

From what I understand it stuns all enemies and leaves them unable to use any special powers, even Harbinger.

[quote name='MSUHitman']From what I understand it stuns all enemies and leaves them unable to use any special powers, even Harbinger.[/QUOTE]

Does that mean it covers shields/barrier/armor as well?

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Just a quick note, the third Mass Effect novel (Retribution) releases tomorrow. Amazon just notified me that mine has shipped so I can start reading it when I get home from work.[/QUOTE]

Great news. I'm going to pick my copy up tomorrow. Thank you!

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Just a quick note, the third Mass Effect novel (Retribution) releases tomorrow. Amazon just notified me that mine has shipped so I can start reading it when I get home from work.[/QUOTE]

Illusive man storyline... can't wait. And I kind of hope Grayson dies.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I preordered it for Kindle a while back, so it should download tomorrow. Have some other things I'm reading first though and won't rush as I wasn't a huge fan of the first 2 novels.[/QUOTE]

I thought they were pretty decent reads, myself. Nothing groundbreaking, but definitely enjoyable, especially Ascension for its fleshing out of the quarian culture. Looking forward to Retribution.

[quote name='Arikado']I thought they were pretty decent reads, myself. Nothing groundbreaking, but definitely enjoyable, especially Ascension for its fleshing out of the quarian culture. Looking forward to Retribution.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was kind of disappointed to not see a packed cubicle like society of the Quarians in their ships haha.

Oh I didn't think the books where bad or anything, or I wouldn't have bought the third one. Just so-so, and thus I'm not in a rush to read it before finishing some other stuff in my to read pile.

I would like to see another writer take a stab at it as the writing is pretty mediocre. Plot wise I get they can't do a whole lot as they need the games to stand alone and the books can't involve Shepherd since the player is Shepherd (disadvantage compared to linear game universes when it comes to books) etc.

This one does sound more promising though, as the Illusive Man is someone I'm a lot more interested in learning more about than Captain Anderson, Saren etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Oh I didn't think the books where bad or anything, or I wouldn't have bought the third one. Just so-so, and thus I'm not in a rush to read it before finishing some other stuff in my to read pile.

I would like to see another writer take a stab at it as the writing is pretty mediocre. Plot wise I get they can't do a whole lot as they need the games to stand alone and the books can't involve Shepherd since the player is Shepherd (disadvantage compared to linear game universes when it comes to books) etc.

This one does sound more promising though, as the Illusive Man is someone I'm a lot more interested in learning more about than Captain Anderson, Saren etc.[/QUOTE]

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/22/new-mass-effect-novel-penned-by-sci-fi-writer-william-c-dietz/

I actually like the fact that the books are separate from the "main story" of Commander Shepard. They may stand alone, but it has the rest of the universe to fit into. If you've never played the games it probably would be a weak read. But I did read the first book before starting the first Mass Effect, so I was more familiar with Saren, Captain Anderson and their history together.

The second book (read before ME2, IIRC) gave a little more insight into the Illusive Man, Cerberus and the Quarian culture. So when I played the game, I knew of the passcodes Tali had to give to dock with the Migrant Fleet and knew why the Quarians didn't trust Cerberus. The Collectors also made an appearance, so it helped expand the universe.

Not exactly books I would expect to get high praise, but inside of the Mass Effect Universe it was pretty cool. My copy arrived but I didn't get a chance to start yet.

On a related note, while I'm always excited for more Mass Effect anything.....I'm hesitant about the comics. I thought those were very poor.

fuck, so the Mass Effect novels are actually decent? I've been generally trying to save some dough lately, but I could always use more Mass Effect in my life.

Yeah, they're worth a read. They're relatively cheap, being pocket paper backs. $7.99.

If you happen to have a Kindle, they're a bit cheaper in that format. $6.29-6.39.

[quote name='Fjordson']fuck, so the Mass Effect novels are actually decent? I've been generally trying to save some dough lately, but I could always use more Mass Effect in my life.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd rate them both 3/5. I'll get to the new one eventually.

Beat the Collector Ship and Reaper IFF missions tonight. I feel like I'm in the home stretch!

Collector Ship wasn't quite as hard as I expected it to be on Insanity. The platform fight definitely took a few reloads before I got the strategy down, but it wasn't much tougher than any number of other battles. I found the key to be keeping Harbinger at a distance; if I ever allowed him to close, the fight ended quick. I took Miranda and Thane and their Warps were just tearing through the drones like nothing. The Viper sniper rifle was a godsend against all of the Scions the game starts throwing at you, and Incineration Blast made short work of the Husks on the Derelict Reaper.

I have hardly anyone loyal (just Jack and Kasumi, didn't have enough Paragon to keep Zaeed loyal or prevent Miranda from becoming disloyal) but I think I'm just going to rush straight into the final mission despite the carnage that's sure to ensue. :)

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, they're worth a read. They're relatively cheap, being pocket paper backs. $7.99.

If you happen to have a Kindle, they're a bit cheaper in that format. $6.29-6.39.[/QUOTE]
Nice. Gotta love mass market paperbacks.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']I actually like the fact that the books are separate from the "main story" of Commander Shepard. They may stand alone, but it has the rest of the universe to fit into. If you've never played the games it probably would be a weak read. But I did read the first book before starting the first Mass Effect, so I was more familiar with Saren, Captain Anderson and their history together.[/QUOTE]

See I always read game related books after I played the related game. I did that with Mass Effect, Perfect Dark Zero and the Gears of War books. Yeah they aren't New York Times best sellers but they are enjoyable since you get a little bit more of what the game was all about.

I screwed up... I never asked Tali and Garrus about their Normandy upgrades, and now the only conversation tree I can get for them is their loyalty mission request. I wanted to use Thane for the suicide mission but he'll die on the ship without the Thanix Cannon. Is there any way to get the research option from Garrus at this point, or do I just have to complete his loyalty mission if I want it?

Well, I pulled it off. :) Ended up just using Garrus instead of Thane. Another Warp would have helped against all those Barriers but Concussive Blast proved pretty useful too.

In the end, the only survivors were Grunt, Legion, and Jack. I did save the crew at least.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Well, I pulled it off. :) Ended up just using Garrus instead of Thane. Another Warp would have helped against all those Barriers but Concussive Blast proved pretty useful too.

In the end, the only survivors were Grunt, Legion, and Jack. I did save the crew at least.[/QUOTE]

I stopped playing because i did all that, but still anyone i choose dies at the door. Thali was my choice and she does not survive. So is Thane and the other dude (marine).
I figure i have to level up some more, but how can i do that? I explored everything and i think there are no more mission around.
I might have to hold off till i get my points so i can get the DLC's.
I mean if one dies at the door, this character is gone for good. Or?

[quote name='Fjordson']fuck, so the Mass Effect novels are actually decent? I've been generally trying to save some dough lately, but I could always use more Mass Effect in my life.[/QUOTE]

Libraries exist for this reason. Both are books are decent.

Playing through again as an Infiltrator, on Veteran this time, and what really strikes me is how much flexibility you have in trying different combinations of squad members, as opposed to the pretty much mandatory "Miranda + somebody else with Warp or Overload depending on the enemy types" for Insanity. I've been having a lot of fun with Zaeed, he's a more useful squadmate than I've given him credit for in the past.

Also, poor Jack and Jacob. Two of the biggest strikes against squadmates on the harder difficulty levels IMO are biotics without Warp, and shotgun toters, and they're 2 for 2.

So I'm nearing the end. I need to recruit 1 more, and I have 2 loyalty missions left. I've got 3-4 side quests in the list. I'm only level 22 or 23. How am I going to get to 30 in this playthrough? Will landing on random planets yield enough XP? Or am I missing something?

[quote name='pete5883']So I'm nearing the end. I need to recruit 1 more, and I have 2 loyalty missions left. I've got 3-4 side quests in the list. I'm only level 22 or 23. How am I going to get to 30 in this playthrough? Will landing on random planets yield enough XP? Or am I missing something?[/QUOTE]
Is it your first playthrough, on a new character? I don't think it's possible to reach 30 on a first playthrough unless you import a Level 60 ME1 character and start on Level 5. Maybe if you have all of the DLC you can make it?

After beating the game once, you earn 125% experience on subsequent playthroughs so reaching the cap is no problem.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Is it your first playthrough, on a new character? I don't think it's possible to reach 30 on a first playthrough unless you import a Level 60 ME1 character and start on Level 5. Maybe if you have all of the DLC you can make it?

After beating the game once, you earn 125% experience on subsequent playthroughs so reaching the cap is no problem.[/QUOTE]You can do it on one playthrough, as long as you start out with at least a Level 50 ME1 import, which starts you out on Level 3, and do all of the DLC.

I was 125XP short of Level 30 before I did Overlord with my Level 50 ME1 / import / Level 3 ME2 starter and did all of the DLC before Overlord came out. Overlord kicked me up to Level 30 after the first mission segment.

So, yes, you can do it on one playthrough, though you need at least a Level 50 ME1 import and all the DLC.

Last edited by a moderator:
shrike is correct, I was able to reach Level 30 with my first playthrough using a Level 50 import from ME1. The DLC puts you over the top.

I think if you didn't play any of the DLC, do every single side mission and every recruitment / loyalty mission, you end up on level 28 assuming a Level 3 start with a ME1 import. All of the DLC with the exception of Overlord, not counting Zaeed's recruitment / loyalty mission, bumps you up to level 29, almost level 30. Overlord bumps you up to Level 30.

Last edited by a moderator:
I brought in a level 59 from ME 1, and hit level 30 after Kasumi, never started a 2nd playthrough. Did all the side quests and DLC other than Overlord, which I haven't bought yet.

Any word on release yet for Liara? The new Dragon Age DLC comes out next week, but I think I'm going to wait on that unless it has anything that will carry over to Awakening because all I have left to do is beat Awakening.

Just curious when I'm going to have to buy a card for more Allards since all I have is 30 total right now.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Any word on release yet for Liara? The new Dragon Age DLC comes out next week, but I think I'm going to wait on that unless it has anything that will carry over to Awakening because all I have left to do is beat Awakening.

Just curious when I'm going to have to buy a card for more Allards since all I have is 30 total right now.[/QUOTE]No clue so far from what I've been seeing on the Internet.

My guess is if DA DLC is coming out next week and Bioware knows that there's plenty of people play both ME and DA, they probably won't bring it out until the end of the month at least.

Thanks guys! I did import a level 50, and I do have all the DLC. I read on GameFAQs this morning that it couldn't be done, but I think the discussion was over before any of the DLC was released.

Assuming you do all of the side missions, all of the loyalty / recruitment missions, and all of the DLC, you'll get Level 30 in one playthrough.

I did the entire game with a Level 50 ME1 import, did all the side missions and all the DLC before Overlord was out and I was 120XP short of Level 30. First mission block in Overlord and I hit Level 30.

bread's done
Back