Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

Heads up, the Battlefield 3 soldier skin is now available as a rare card for everyone. I had it from the BF3 tie-in, but that's cool for those who still need it. Here's to hoping the Collector Rifle also shows up in packs at some point.

So I checked out of the thread post Extended Cut b/c of my dislike of the story: is Leviathan something awesome, just fine/acceptable, or is it hot garbage? Just curious if I should stop my boycott of paid DLC for this game if Leviathan goes on sale sometime around Christmas. Thanks everyone.

So adequtate then? OK then I'll just wait to see how Omega goes and see if it warrants an on sale purchase if both are on sale sometime in 2013 then, thanks.

Does it need to be played during a playthrough to get the most out of it or can it be played at the point of no return and not seem horribly out of place?

I thought it was pretty good. Not quite up to Shadow Broker standards but better than average for Mass Effect. I would recommend it to anyone who likes ME3, but if you've got reasons for not wanting to buy it, it's not essential.

I generally agree with Ryuu's assessment of Leviathan. I think its a little more essential to the story, though. So, if the story is turning you off. This may not be for you. For me, its a must buy. Its not LotSB, but it has you doing different things gameplay-wise and I think it adds a huge opening to the future of the ME universe, but also added a "well, wtf? Element to the story.

On sale = get it. Not on sale and you are unsure = waiting for sale. Unless you are a hardcore ME fan.

I'd third the options listed above, it adds some reasonable backstory to the game. It also adds some good weapon mods useable again on NG+, if you're going back for a second go-round.

I'd suspect it'll go on-sale when the Omega DLC comes out, though if you're not hardcore ME fans, wait for the sale.

I enjoyed it and though it was second to LoTSB in quality and enjoyment value.

My DLC rankings across ME1, ME2 and ME3, from best to worst:
LoTSB
Leviathan
Bring Down The Sky
Stolen Memory
From Ashes
Overlord
Arrival
Price Of Revenge
Pinnacle Station
Firewalker

I think that covers all of them.

From best to worst:

1. Lair of the Shadow Broker (best DLC ever, high point of the entire game/series)
2. Stolen Memory (really love this mission, Kasumi is a great squadmate)
3. Leviathan (great gameplay variety, similar to Stolen Memory)
4. The Price of Revenge (mission itself is nothing special but Zaeed is one of my favorite squadmates)
5. From Ashes (similar to Zaeed, so-so mission but awesome squadmate added)
6. Overlord (fun but nothing special, just a slightly beefed-up ME2 sidequest)
7. Bring Down the Sky (meh... unmemorable)
8. Arrival (very meh... hated playing without squadmates)
9. Pinnacle Station (awful, completely misses the point of Mass Effect)
10. Firewalker (so awful I never even finished it)

LoTSB
Leviathan
Arrival
Stolen Memory
From Ashes
Overlord (for stupid hammerhead sequences. Liked the other parts)
The Price of Revenge
BDtS
Firewalker
Pinnacle Station

Hoping Omega goes somewhere near the top...

[quote name='shrike4242']Guess I had a better memory of BDTS than others did. Mainly for the combat at the end, I suppose.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed the story component of it but the mako sessions were so laborious in that game.

[quote name='Anexanhume']I enjoyed the story component of it but the mako sessions were so laborious in that game.[/QUOTE]Actually, the Mako driving in BDTS was some of the least annoying out of anything else in the game. Mainly because they made sense in a point A to point B process instead of some of the random paths you took to get to objectives in the rest of the game.

[quote name='shrike4242']Actually, the Mako driving in BDTS was some of the least annoying out of anything else in the game. Mainly because they made sense in a point A to point B process instead of some of the random paths you took to get to objectives in the rest of the game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='The Crotch']BDTS had the best mako sections of all of ME.

Which, as far as compliments go, is pretty weak, but it's the best I've got.[/QUOTE]

Basically this.

At least no sudden thresher maws.

Did someone say "Mako"!?!? Super fanboy powers engage!!!!!

I'm actually replaying ME1 right now and still enjoy the Mako sections. Bring down the sky is solid but doesn't hold up to Lair, Leviathan or Stolen Memory. I liked how they tied it into ME3.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']From best to worst:

1. Lair of the Shadow Broker (best DLC ever, high point of the entire game/series)
2. Stolen Memory (really love this mission, Kasumi is a great squadmate)
3. Leviathan (great gameplay variety, similar to Stolen Memory)
4. The Price of Revenge (mission itself is nothing special but Zaeed is one of my favorite squadmates)
5. From Ashes (similar to Zaeed, so-so mission but awesome squadmate added)
6. Overlord (fun but nothing special, just a slightly beefed-up ME2 sidequest)
7. Bring Down the Sky (meh... unmemorable)
8. Arrival (very meh... hated playing without squadmates)
9. Pinnacle Station (awful, completely misses the point of Mass Effect)
10. Firewalker (so awful I never even finished it)[/QUOTE]

My list:

1. Lair of the Shadow Broker (great combat, Liara, significant plot resolution)
2. Bring Down The Sky (I also liked the combat, Mako parts, variations of the end with Kate/Balak)
3. Overlord (fantastic ending sequence, very cool atmposphere)
4. Cerberus Network DLC (almost entirely because of the Normandy Crash Site sequence)
5. From Ashes (Javik was a great squaddie in ME3, setting aside the day 1 DLC mess)
6. Stolen Memory (introduced great SMG, Kasumi)
7. Arrival (would be higher if you could have brought squadmates)
8. Firewalker (worse than the Mako!)

Never played Pinnacle Station and I havent got Leviathan.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I thought it was pretty good. Not quite up to Shadow Broker standards but better than average for Mass Effect. I would recommend it to anyone who likes ME3, but if you've got reasons for not wanting to buy it, it's not essential.[/QUOTE]

Agreed and Overlord is high up on my list due to reading the ME novels.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Agreed and Overlord is high up on my list due to reading the ME novels.[/QUOTE]

as weird as it sounds, another reason I liked Overlord was caught you spent most of it shooting Geth, felt like Mass Effect 1 all over again :lol:

I just think vehicles don't belong in Mass Effect. I hated the Mako and I hated the driving sections in ME2 DLC (Firewalker and Overlord). The skycar in Lair of the Shadow Broker was fine, because it was brief and exciting and Liara's backseat driving was hilarious.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I just think vehicles don't belong in Mass Effect. I hated the Mako and I hated the driving sections in ME2 DLC (Firewalker and Overlord). The skycar in Lair of the Shadow Broker was fine, because it was brief and exciting and Liara's backseat driving was hilarious.[/QUOTE]

I did enjoy the skycar sequence. Liara's babbling kind of reminds me of the "big badda boom" scene in the fifth element :lol:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Wow, that is quite the update. Fighting Collectors again sounds awesome.

Anyone find it odd that Harbinger has a bigger presence in a trailer for multiplayer DLC than in the entire singleplayer campaign? :lol:[/QUOTE]Shhh. You weren't supposed to notice that. ;)

Holy fuck!! Bioware may have dropped the ball on the single player but they knocked it out the park with the mutliplayer. And all this DLC is free!(MP that is):drool::whee:

[quote name='Spybreak8']Holy crap! MASS EFFECT 3: RETALIATION MULTIPLAYER DLC
[/QUOTE]

Harbinger, old buddy, old pal. About time you paid a visit! This all looks and sounds fantastic. Just when I am thinking about moving on from ME3, they inject new life into things. I think the hazards will be a great addition and it's nice to see some new enemies added to the mix.

Perhaps this will draw a few people away from B2 MP for a bit, too. :cool:

I can't wait to get my hands on that jetpack Turian.
Untitled-1.png
And that image of the swarm hitting firebase Glacier is just too cool. These environmental effects are going to add so much to the MP side of the game. Great stuff.

Also, for the ME merch fans out there, that Reaper statue is finally being produced. June 2013 release, $350 but $100 deposit is required now, edition size not to exceed 1000. It's way cool, but I would have rather had a $35 to $50 open ended edition like the Normandy replicas.

etc-figure-reaperstatue-front_1.jpg

http://biowarestore.com/collectibles/sovereign-reaper-ship-replica.html

Last edited by a moderator:
does this mean i can finally level up my collector rifle?

and does it also mean, everyone else who didn't get the collector rifle through special promotions can now get the collector rifle?

Beginner Questions:

So I finally unboxed my CE this morning after about oh 7 months since release (long story, job change and finally now have some free time to play) and have a couple questions for you vets:

1. I know the original ending(s) generally suck, but I have not actually seen any spoilers. With that in mind, should I go ahead and dowload the extended cut to playthrough as my first? Or finish the game with the normal endings, then play the EC? I do not want my opinion of the mass effect series to change based on how this thing ends, which is why I'm leaning toward downloading the EC for the first playthrough.

2. The current MP assignment (Overdrive)..Do I need to play MP this weekend for any special reason? I understand the MP is very deep and just want to make sure I'm not missing something that will only be available this weekend.

3. The kid (I'm about 3 hours through so far). I understand there is some foreshadowing or something going on here ( He says 'You can't help me" to Shepard in their first interaction). But man, this kid is trippin me out. The laughing and crying through the forest, sheesh.

Why I didn't fare so well after watching Village of the Damned way back in the day.

Do EC first. For the love of Christ, do it first. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better.

God, I forgot about the dream sequences. I hated those so much...

Preordered that Reaper. Had a fun fiasco involving their store taking out four 100 dollar deposits. Thankfully they got on it pretty quick. Looking forward to seeing that thing in person.

[quote name='IanKazimer']Preordered that Reaper. Had a fun fiasco involving their store taking out four 100 dollar deposits. Thankfully they got on it pretty quick. Looking forward to seeing that thing in person.[/QUOTE]

Ha, I saw that in the comments on Facebook. Glad to hear they got it figured out. I'm really tempted, but there is just no way I can justify that purchase. I could get the trilogy pack + 2 or 3 of the play arts figures + the mimobot and still have money left over.

I like my Normandy replica! They get a lot of bad press but mine has a great paint job, didn't come broken and displays very well. Consider getting it from amazon, I got mine for

Not even thinking I just purchased the regular Spectre Pack, not Premium, and got a N7 Typhoon the first time and the third time N7 Shadow, finally! Man that Typhoon kicks ass, threw a scope on the thing and was initially shooting it like any other assault rifle until I realized you could hold down the trigger. :cool: Put a piecing mod on the thing and was just eating right through Guardians. :D

Played some MP with some of the guys for the first time in a couple weeks last night. For the most part, I loved the updates and that Kroguard is even more fun then ever. I was charging and head-butting things all over Glacier.

23444090.jpg

Excited for the DLC next week and I hope this rekindles some interest within the community.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Yeah I took the ol' Kroguard out for a spin as well, with my Piranha. Fun on the bun!
merp-screen_1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

somehow this reminds me of a chocobo...

i did 2 full extractions in under 20...my job is done.

Thanks for the link, Arikado. I was about to go searching for this. That was pretty cool. Sure, it was campy, but for a hardcore ME fan, it was cool to see. Plus they get bonus points for the following:

- Using the war hero, Grissom from the novels, as a character.
- The music was pretty darn good.
- They included a wilhelm scream.
- Mark Meer was in it. As a die-hard man-shep fan, that guy is just cool.
- It documented the single most significant, and as of yet unseen, moment in human history and arguably one of the most interesting points in ME history pre-trilogy.

bread's done
Back