Max Payne 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info

Well I first heard about this over on the entensity forums, and a lot of the members there were talking about how a lot of the screens they saw were in daylight, which lead them to immediately question the game.

I have to say I agree; both the Max Payne games were known for their gritty, dark setting and story-telling. I have high hopes for this game, but something tells me it will disappoint.

[quote name='lolwut?']Well I first heard about this over on the entensity forums, and a lot of the members there were talking about how a lot of the screens they saw were in daylight, which lead them to immediately question the game.

I have to say I agree; both the Max Payne games were known for their gritty, dark setting and story-telling. I have high hopes for this game, but something tells me it will disappoint.[/QUOTE]

Max Payne 3 is the cover of the new Game Informer, it looks great. The game takes place in Sao Paulo, Brazil and looks to be mostly in daylight. Max looks like he's been to hell and back...and went back again! Shaved head, pumped up muscles and basically like Sam Fisher's angrier cousin.

[quote name='dinovelvet']Max Payne 3 is the cover of the new Game Informer, it looks great. The game takes place in Sao Paulo, Brazil and looks to be mostly in daylight. Max looks like he's been to hell and back...and went back again! Shaved head, pumped up muscles and basically like Sam Fisher's angrier cousin.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? I don't have a problem setting the game in Brazil, but the design of Max in this game is just horrid. He looks more like a bearded John McClane from Live Free or Die Hard.

And I bet this will be a console release, with a crippled PC launch... fuck.

Will be waiting for this.. hope to hear better news.

Just got the new Game Informer today, and yeahhh...I don't really like Max being bald. But maybe it's our own fault for making all the comparisons to Ethan Thomas and Sam Fisher based on the early concept art. The game could still definitely be good, but it's hard to believe how much Max has changed since the first game (and I remember when they made a big deal about his "grizzled" appearance in the 2nd game).

It looks like he's aged 30 years. I can only imagine what he's going to sound like. I'm a little scared they've completely forgotten the cool comic book/film noir style that made the first game so appealing. The last thing I want to see is another run of the mill action game with semi-broken controls.

Damn, I have high hopes for this, but Brasil, daylight and if what you're saying is no comic book/film noir style I think I may have to pass on it or at the very least wait for a price drop. I guess I'll find out more when my copy of GI comes in.

[quote name='pimpster4183']I remember fighting a preist in a church, was that Max Payne 1 or 2?[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure the first one.

If there's one developer I have confidence in, its Rockstar. The feature in GI was pretty interesting and its still way early, but I am optimistic that its going to be quality.

I don't know if I care for the setting, but if they make it work, it will be awesome.

[quote name='Thongsy']Damn, I have high hopes for this, but Brasil, daylight and if what you're saying is no comic book/film noir style I think I may have to pass on it or at the very least wait for a price drop. I guess I'll find out more when my copy of GI comes in.[/QUOTE]He's saying that he's afraid that they dropped it and not stating that they definitely have. I agree that the film noir style contributed heavily to the coolness of the game and its removal would take away alot of its uniqueness. I wish I had a pc that would play this, but as long as the game isn't butchered to the point where I pass on it then I'll be playing it on console. BTW, too bad about Life as it was a great show.

Did I just miss the E3 coverage of this game? I looked alot and have found nothing and considering this game is scheduled for winter of this year, that's a sketchy sign cause you'd think they'd have SOMETHING to show about it.

awesome. looks interesting. seems like we'll see a few different phases of max (bald, with hair, no beard, full beard) and he does look a lot like Kane in a few of those screens. max payne is one of my favorite franchises and i trust Rockstar will make this sweet.

"1. Slo-mo not player controlled; slo-mo only in select scenes."

Wha? That was the most fun part of the game and separated it from most other Third Person Shooters.

I lost most interest when I heard the original VA of Max Payne (Jared McCaffrey (spelling) was no longer the VA in Max Payne 3.

Remedy is also not handling this, It's a new studio. Remedy was an amazing studio.

Not only that this game has been delayed for what seems like forever.

I hope I can be proven wrong and this becomes a AAA title, but right now I'll avoid it like I did with the Max Payne movie. Yikes.

I agree. I do hope it's good, and more than having a good max payne 3, I hope we get a max payne 1 and 2 hd collection, with some upgraded mechanics. I'm not even talking "remakes", just more or less them tweaking everything to freshen it up, and I would be thrilled. I know these two games weren't AAA titles per se, and they had their flaws, but I LOVED them, and I'm hoping for a good third installment, and a collection.
I have low hopes because of them changing out noir to brazil themed, no remedy, and new look for max. Let's hope they pull it off.

edit:
After reading the scans, I am sadly excited. I know it may turn out to either be crappy, or not original max payne, but it seems they are actually trying and working hard and some changes might be pretty cool. I'll save my judgement until I actually play it whenever it comes out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Monsta Mack']I lost most interest when I heard the original VA of Max Payne (Jared McCaffrey (spelling) was no longer the VA in Max Payne 3.

Remedy is also not handling this, It's a new studio. Remedy was an amazing studio.

Not only that this game has been delayed for what seems like forever.

I hope I can be proven wrong and this becomes a AAA title, but right now I'll avoid it like I did with the Max Payne movie. Yikes.[/QUOTE]

They originally announced a new dude, but have since gone back to the original voice actor. I'm cautiously optimistic here. The one thing with Rockstar is that they will just delay their games until they're happy with them (see: RDR, GTA4, LA Noire).

[quote name='Rooster752']They originally announced a new dude, but have since gone back to the original voice actor. I'm cautiously optimistic here. The one thing with Rockstar is that they will just delay their games until they're happy with them (see: RDR, GTA4, LA Noire).[/QUOTE]

Ok I'm hyped by the fact the original VA is back for Max Payne.

[quote name='hhhdx4']"1. Slo-mo not player controlled; slo-mo only in select scenes."

Wha? That was the most fun part of the game and separated it from most other Third Person Shooters.[/QUOTE]
Woops! It's still here, I just skimmed the scans when I first put everything up and now am reading everything. At climactic parts it will turn slo-mo, but player-initiated bullet-time is still here. Sorry for the confusion.

Reordered scans and all are legible now.

Edit: Images are being rescaled by C.A.G.'s forum. :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, so what happened? Did bald Max Payne steal hair from the preview version of Cole from InFamous 2?

[quote name='Leggo']Wait, so what happened? Did bald Max Payne steal hair from the preview version of Cole from InFamous 2?[/QUOTE]
Nope, don't think so. It says it starts 8 years after 2, then heads to Brazil. I'm guessing there's a transition in there that we will see, and let us know why he goes to Brazil and why he is bald and ragged/rugged looking.

Does this game still have an 8/1/11 release date or did it get pushed back again? The wiki page says something about it not being on Take-Two's 2011-2012 release calendar.

March 2012 now.

Holy crap the trailer looks absolutely amazing, even has some of the old music in it. Why did I have any concerns about this? I know why, but they seem silly now. Can't F'n wait. That trailer settled all my fears as it looks to still carry on the Max Payne vibe.

Hyped by the original voice actor. Got angry when he shaved his head though and took down random thugs... uhmm... yeah gonna miss villians like Vlad, they will have to top him.

after watching the trailer about 5 times i have mixed feelings. love how it looks and sounds. the quick shot while hes firing off the train looked insanely awesome. bald max seems to be borrowing from to many recent things. a few shots he literally looks like sam fisher in double agent and some he literally looks like bruce willis in die hard 4. to be honest im kind of turned off by the story so far. in max 1 and 2 he was on the edge not caring if he lived or died he just wanted revenge and to shut down the mafia in new york. now hes in the slums as a gun for hire? maybe the whole point is to show what happens years later for a person like max, surely you cant spend your entire life getting "revenge" hes almost like a has been now. this is still a day 1 for me and i still trust rockstar but im really interested in whats going on with the story.

Started a crew on Rockstar's Social Club. Most good names were taken so I went simply with "CAG Payne". Crews will get xp boosts and other bonuses and founding crews (established before the 15th, like this one) will get extra stuff supposedly. Figured it couldn't hurt. I'm so hyped for this as a long time fan, but mostly for the single player. If MP turns out fun it's just gravy for me and then I'll probably play it a ton. So if anyone wants to crew up look for JDawgg77 or CAG Payne. If anyone else has already started a CAG crew lmk.

Only way I know is thru the social club website. You'll see a crews tab then search for CAG Payne. Click request invite. Then I'll accept. Then you have to accept my acceptance. Seriously. Seems extraneous.

Hey Jdawgg, I requested an invite. Sounds like it'll be fun! I have a buddy who's getting it as well, and is a CAG, so I'll try to get him to join as well.

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm getting the game, but am already in another crew.[/QUOTE]You can be in up to five crews at a time if you'd like to join this one as well.

Just sent invites to all the requests.

[quote name='jdawgg76']You can be in up to five crews at a time if you'd like to join this one as well.

Just sent invites to all the requests.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the invite! I'm in. My bud, AriFNGold or AriJGold, whichever he used, asked you for an invite as well. He's fellow CAG SpiderHulkThing.

[quote name='mrx001']I'm surprised there isn't a cheapassgamer crew.There's a cheapassgamerz crew but it isn't affiliated with the site.[/QUOTE]CAG Payne is an unofficial one I just started as I hadn't seen any crews around here yet and I am not any type of CAG official. Thought about naming it Payne In Your CAG, but I kept it simple. Seems like alot of sites like Reddit have crews so I guess if someone's a fan of Reddit they'll join. Anyway, feel free to join our humble fledgling crew that is gaining momentum.

Going to go do some more invites. I'll try to keep doing this tonite until about midnight est so those who get the midnight release can be in a crew at launch. Unfortunately, no Best Buys near me are doing a midnight release.

Giantbomb has their Quick Look up now. Parts of the game look like same old Max Payne (a good thing), and other parts look a little trendy and modernized. I'm really going to miss the noir style if that's not in the game at all though. Pay special attention to Max popping some pills while slo-mo diving through the air in bullet time. That had me geeking out pretty hard, lol. Really excited to play this!

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-max-payne-3/17-5971/

Yeah I think I'll be picking this one up. Skyrim's just not doing it for me, and I need something else to play besides NHL lol.

bread's done
Back