Media Play's Closing: 70-80% off LAST FEW DAYS

[quote name='TehTriggerman']I remember when the Southfiled michigan store closed. Kind of. That store was massive. It was two stories and gave NO mention whatsoever of it closing. I went every week. One week its there, The next, Its stripped clean with whited out windows..No banners no nothin' :bomb:

And I just found another 5 dollar coupon too. I just dont know what to get. I bet they'll have hundreds of Bulletproof copies.[/QUOTE]

My store had about 30 copies each of PS2 and Xbox on Wednesday. Every other game only had about 5, maybe 10 max, in stock.

At the Transit Road location outside Buffalo, books are no longer available for purchase, which sucks, as I went today to stock up on 40% off PnP RPGs and graphic novels. They had put up a wall of empty displays with signs stating that books were no longer available for sale. Someone must have bought out the chain's entire stock of books. This may be YMMV, so if you wanted some discounted literature, I'd check soon before all the stores follow suit, although this is likely chain-wide, so you may not want to waste the trip if all you are going for is books.

Magazines and hint books were still available, however, at 40% off.

Also, I noticed that some of the higher ticket DVD series boxed sets (Sopranos, X-Files, Star Treks of all sorts, etc...) were not in with the other DVDs, but behind the Customer Service counter. They still had quite the good selection, and at 40% off, not a bad price if you were looking to finish (or start) any of these collections.

Also, here are some not-bad games I noticed that they still had at the Transit location, all at 40% off:

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction for PS2
Wild Arms: Alter Code F for PS2
F.E.A.R. both CD and DVD versions
Quake 4, CD and DVD
Gun PS2 and Xbox

I forgot to check to see if they still had the Steel Battalions. Sorry!

Finally, if you are one of the three people who do not already have it, they had, I am not kidding or exaggerating, aty least fifty(!) copies of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Seriously, they still have a good selection of older and more obscure music. I was able to complete my Bad Religion collection for like $7 a disc.

The books section was also closed off at one of the Media Plays in Columbus, OH. Not sure why some are giving 40% off while others are selling nothing.

Nothing for 360 here, as expected. There are still GB Micros left, thought of getting a second....can come up with a reson to do so though...

Never saw any PS1 games at either of the stores I visited (where did they go?). They did have PS1 accessories though.

Also of note. They will be selling their displays. One of the stores had a box for call back information.

I requested to be called if they sell the kiosks for the game systems.

Later,
Trebuken

[quote name='Trebuken']The books section was also closed off at one of the Media Plays in Columbus, OH. Not sure why some are giving 40% off while others are selling nothing.

Nothing for 360 here, as expected. There are still GB Micros left, thought of getting a second....can come up with a reson to do so though...

Never saw any PS1 games at either of the stores I visited (where did they go?). They did have PS1 accessories though.

Also of note. They will be selling their displays. One of the stores had a box for call back information.

I requested to be called if they sell the kiosks for the game systems.

Later,
Trebuken[/QUOTE]

Did Media Play have any 360 Kiosks?

[quote name='quadomatic']the store at ross park mall in pittsburg had a few good games left, 40% off. There were also 3 or 4 game boy micros for $60[/QUOTE]

How can you forget the "H" in Pittsburgh? I'm assuming you live in the area, but my god, you can't be that dumb! :rofl:

I stopped by media play today to find the book section closed off so i put that in the first post.

Everything was the same as yesterday cept it was picked more clean.

Our store has a couple xbox360 games left including the need for speed one, they are on the endcap by the xbox games. There are TONS of Xbox games left at the niagara falls location, so if anyone needs xbox games this is the place to go. There is also still a fair selection of gba/ds games and ps2 games left. Gamecube was nearly picked clean.

There is a stack of shin megami tensei DDS ps2 at the niagara falls store. There were also quite a few ps2 rpg's left. Hmm rare games... there has got to be more in that store that i missed for rare titles.

Large stack of Halo 2 guides, the shrinkwrapped ones (dont know how much these would cost), and in general lots of guides left, i have no idea how pricing on the guides works.

There are a few ps1 games (new) left at our store but in my last post i was referring to the HUGE stack of USED and OVERPRICED PS1 games that media play was most famous for carrying, those are all gone and no sign of them in the store.

Oh yeah i need some advice, i saw this streetfighter controller in a blue box, it was for ps1 or ps2 i think, it was some limited edition controller, anyone know if this is worth picking up? There were quite a few of these left, maybe 10. It was small in a box though, so i think its a regular sized controller not an arcade style one, it was an officially licensed ps1/ps2 item.

[quote name='rywateska']How can you forget the "H" in Pittsburgh? I'm assuming you live in the area, but my god, you can't be that dumb! :rofl:[/QUOTE]

no im actually from illinois, but yeah that was a pretty bad typo, lol

[quote name='SaraAB']
Large stack of Halo 2 guides, the shrinkwrapped ones (dont know how much these would cost), and in general lots of guides left, i have no idea how pricing on the guides works.
[/QUOTE]

Guides are the price listed above the UPC, unless they have a sticker indicating otherwise. 40% off currently, which isn't bad if it's a newer guide like for Dragon Quest VIII (although my location did not have any of those). Transit Road did have a buttload of Halo 2 guides as well, along with a few for Radiata Stories and some other RPGs.

[quote name='SaraAB']
Oh yeah i need some advice, i saw this streetfighter controller in a blue box, it was for ps1 or ps2 i think, it was some limited edition controller, anyone know if this is worth picking up? There were quite a few of these left, maybe 10. It was small in a box though, so i think its a regular sized controller not an arcade style one, it was an officially licensed ps1/ps2 item.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like the Street Fighter Anniversary Chun Li controller for PS2 ... As for if it's worth the $18 bucks (40% off of ~$30), I don't think it's worth that to resell ... but I hear they're supposed to be good controllers for fighting games.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']My store had about 30 copies each of PS2 and Xbox on Wednesday. Every other game only had about 5, maybe 10 max, in stock.[/QUOTE]

My store had over 200! copies of the 50 Cent CD in stock.:lol: They'll probably sit there until it hits 80% off.

[quote name='cdeener']Did Media Play have any 360 Kiosks?[/QUOTE]

The one in my town does. I wonder what they're gonna do with it?

I'll bet if I asked they'd say something about having to return it to Microsoft but in reality its gonna be in some manager's living room the day after they close.

I picked up some decent games I wanted, thinking I maybe should've got the new Castlevania for PS2. Can anyone find me a copy of Wild Arms Alter Code? One game I really wanted that I couldn't find. I'll pay $30 shipped

[quote name='Drensch']Trebuken, which one did you go to?[/QUOTE]

Sawmill Road. They Had three kiosks that I noticed (did not look too hard). Xbox, PS2, Gamecube I bet, though a couple of them look somewhat universal. I have not seen a 360 kkiosk at the two media plays I visited.

I wonder if they'll sell the giant Halo statue...no not really...

Later,
Trebuken

I could give a crap about xbox, but I'm gonna try and get one of those Master chiefs. Is sawmill pretty empty? It's the only media play in columbus I've yet to hit.

The Media Play in Toledo didn't have any games I was interested in, but had a decent PS2/Xbox selection, no major wanted (ie "rare") RPGs...just typical stuff

GBA and DS were a flop

I just got back from hitting it twice in 2 days. I did ok..I picked up some games I wanted but never would've paid full price for.

Virtua Tennis-PSP
BATMAN 60's Movie- PSP
The CON-PSP
50 Cent BulletProof-PS2 ( G-unit lol)
Colosseum: Road to Freedom-PS2
Full Metal Alchemist 2-PS2
Fugitive Hunter -PS2 ( I bought cause I own a Backup)

Toys

Inuyasha Wall Scroll
DragonBall Ball
NamcoGirl from RacingGames
Leather studded Guitar Strap

Toys were 60% off and Games were 40%. I think Its over..

[quote name='EndlessChris']I picked up some decent games I wanted, thinking I maybe should've got the new Castlevania for PS2. Can anyone find me a copy of Wild Arms Alter Code? One game I really wanted that I couldn't find. I'll pay $30 shipped[/QUOTE]

I doubt anyone will take you up on that, as even after 40% off, it's still $30.
After shipping and taxes, whomever would sell to you at that price is likely taking a minimum $10.00 hit on taxes and shipping. At least be reasonable in an offer.

Are they open tomorrow (New's Years Day)??

Sorry if it's a dumb question. Some store stay open, some don't I dont know about Media Play

[quote name='SaraAB']I stopped by media play today to find the book section closed off so i put that in the first post.

Everything was the same as yesterday cept it was picked more clean.

Our store has a couple xbox360 games left including the need for speed one, they are on the endcap by the xbox games. There are TONS of Xbox games left at the niagara falls location, so if anyone needs xbox games this is the place to go. There is also still a fair selection of gba/ds games and ps2 games left. Gamecube was nearly picked clean.

There is a stack of shin megami tensei DDS ps2 at the niagara falls store. There were also quite a few ps2 rpg's left. Hmm rare games... there has got to be more in that store that i missed for rare titles.

There are a few ps1 games (new) left at our store but in my last post i was referring to the HUGE stack of USED and OVERPRICED PS1 games that media play was most famous for carrying, those are all gone and no sign of them in the store.

Oh yeah i need some advice, i saw this streetfighter controller in a blue box, it was for ps1 or ps2 i think, it was some limited edition controller, anyone know if this is worth picking up? There were quite a few of these left, maybe 10. It was small in a box though, so i think its a regular sized controller not an arcade style one, it was an officially licensed ps1/ps2 item.[/QUOTE]

do you know exactly which 360 games were there... I am in buffalo and would like to know which 360 games they have before driving out there...

There were only 3 or 4 xbox 360 games left and they were sitting on an endcap around where the xbox games are, the only one i remember seeing was the need for speed game. Probably not worth driving out here for, unless there are other games you are looking for from stores that have not been picked clean yet.

There are tons of psp items left i believe though.

So, what do you think the % off will top out at before they close the store for good? Will we see 50% or more on games? I may pick up some PSP games if that happens. The 360 stuff was picked over at my store. I got FIFA and Madden

I picked up some descent stuff @ Media Play...............LIKE................

WWE Judgement day 2005
WWE Armageddon 2003

I got them both for great prices!!!!!!!!

:cry:Most games @ my store were sold out........................:cry:

[quote name='SaraAB']

I'm planning to head over the border to check out the Niagara Falls location as I only am about a 35 minute drive from there. Sounds like it's still worth going there, thanks a lot!

P.S. Has anyone checked out the Amherst location lately?

i havent checked the amherst location, i might be checking it tomorrow

There are still tons of regular xbox games here, and yeah its probably still worth coming to this store if you are just looking for random cheap items/games.

Only thing interesting (to me) at my local Media Play was Graffiti Kingdom, though it was still not interesting enough (after the awesomeness of the TRU sale)...
They did have a lot of copies of Smashing Pumpkins Greatest Hits, which I am interested in, but it said on the label that they were all edited...does anyone know if an edited version actually exists? (as far as I can tell, the single disc version doesn't have a parental advisory, but I suppose it's still possible that they would edit it, though very unlikely - and I don't know why they would have the edited version even if it did exist)

The Media Play on N. Falls Boulevard(Amherst) is pretty much wiped out. I found my Seinfeld Seasons 5 and 6 at the Niagara Falls one, but that one was hit pretty good too. I'm going to check out the Cheektowaga one tomorrow, can't hurt. Great few months of deals with TRU,BB coupon and MP closing.

So does anyone know when the next price drop will hit? I'll be near two Media Plays for another week before I have to head back to school, so I'd like to score some stuff as cheap as possible before I leave the Nashville area again.

I hope it goes to 60% off skipping 50% off, because I want Indigo Prophecy (XB) and Tony Hawk: AS (DS) but I don't wanna pay $20 for each, cause I'm cheap as hell. :D

[quote name='TimTucker']If I had to guess, I'd say Wednesday for the next drop -- that's when the last 2 drops have happened.[/QUOTE]

That's when I'll be checking...

[quote name='aoLat']I hope it goes to 60% off skipping 50% off, because I want Indigo Prophecy (XB) and Tony Hawk: AS (DS) but I don't wanna pay $20 for each, cause I'm cheap as hell. :D[/QUOTE]

Consider yourself lucky if that have either... the only DS games I've seen there in the past few days have been Ping Pals and Feel the Magic.

[quote name='TehTriggerman']They'll be seeing my face again on Wednesday. :bouncy: Any other stores have armed Guards walking around in them?[/QUOTE]

Oddly, yes.
Of course, I didn't see such things even starting until this weekend.

I guess the liquidator must have either let all of the loss prevention people go, or disabled the theft deterant systems most of the stores had in place.

Armed guards!? That's just crazy. I was in my MP today and they had the back left corner of the store emptied w/everything shifted up front and the books blocked off w/yellow caution tape w/signs saying books not for sale. They also had signs saying more merchandise arriving Wednesday. I talked to one of the employees to see if other stores would also get more merch and she said that each store had it's own liquidator so there was no way to be certain. There were also signs up stating that a fixture sale was coming soon. There were a couple of nice glass display counters plus the videogame kiosks and the Master Chief statue. They can name their price on that one.

[quote name='neocisco']Armed guards!? That's just crazy. I was in my MP today and they had the back left corner of the store emptied w/everything shifted up front and the books blocked off w/yellow caution tape w/signs saying books not for sale. They also had signs saying more merchandise arriving Wednesday. I talked to one of the employees to see if other stores would also get more merch and she said that each store had it's own liquidator so there was no way to be certain. There were also signs up stating that a fixture sale was coming soon. There were a couple of nice glass display counters plus the videogame kiosks and the Master Chief statue. They can name their price on that one.[/QUOTE]

Some idiot broke off one of the Master Chief's arms at my Media Play. They had a box to leave your name and number for fixtures and displays, and I was going to make an offer - too low I'm sure but what the hell - but not now. I've stopped by MP for each of the stages of the clearance so far, and people have been animals. No wonder the guards.

I went to the local Media Play today and they were pretty much picked clean. About half of the store is closed off with the yellow tape and no books for sale. There were a few animes left but mostly DBZ and no 360 games/accesories to be found anywhere. The games were pretty well picked through too but my friend and I had a good laugh when we saw about 25 copies of Max Payne 2 for PS2 on the shelf.

The percentages seem the same for now so i am not buying anything until it goes down, and for some of the stuff to sell i am sure it will have to hit at least 70%-90% off since the prices are so high to begin with.

Media Play is always a total joke when it comes to sales... I figured that the store would be picked to the bone already but there were some (ridiculously overpriced) stuff left.
PSone w/ LCD combo - $90
NBA Street V3 (XB) - $30

And that's it. It's funny how expensive all their games are... and even after the 40% off, it's just not worth it.

I bought a NWA CD and two magazines. That's it. If they increase the discount, I'll go back for one of those PSone LCDs.

The West Broad location in Columbus, OH is starting to box up all their electronics and PC games. I'm guessing the video games will be next.

I actually saw a Steel Battalion disc with manual and it had a sticker on it that said "Comes with bundle", so if they can find the controller, someone might be able to pick SB up for a good price.

Shipwreck: Do they still have a pretty good inventory? I was in there last friday and they still had a pretty good selection of stuff.

[quote name='shipwreck']The West Broad location in Columbus, OH is starting to box up all their electronics and PC games. I'm guessing the video games will be next.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure they were boxing them off not to sell? Could they have been taking inventory or relocating the stock? This sounds like bad news for further price drops...

[quote name='rywateska']Are you sure they were boxing them off not to sell? Could they have been taking inventory or relocating the stock? This sounds like bad news for further price drops...[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what they are doing with the items, but I heard them tell one guy that if he was going to buy the iRiver mp3 player that he was looking at, that he had to buy it right then because they were taking all the stuff to the back. My guess would be that they are transferring all their inventory to Sawmill or another location, but who knows.

They are probably condensing the stores

They could also be sending the games and stuff to sam goody stores and other partner stores since they would lose a lot of money if the prices dropped lower.

I heard today from someone that works in the book dept. at media play that all the books are being shipped to europe (as for why, i dont know) thats why they are not for sale anymore. The books were originally sold under consignment and that goes for all media play stores.

It was also speculated that all stores will be closed by the 28th and that there would be no further price drops since a lot of money would be lost if this was the case.

Um, I don't agree with that, considering there was a nice big stack of 60% off signage sitting on the customer service counter tonight. ( I wanted to go and take one last look and decide if some things would still be there if the percentage jumps tomorrow.)

Well, looks like I'll stop tomorrow after work and see what is left....hopefully 60% off happens...if so, I'm sure to find osme DVD's I want....maybe a PSP game or two also. I'm sure the last 360 games are gone already.

[quote name='doubledown']Well, looks like I'll stop tomorrow after work and see what is left....hopefully 60% off happens...if so, I'm sure to find osme DVD's I want....maybe a PSP game or two also. I'm sure the last 360 games are gone already.[/QUOTE]

Seemed that way...

360 games were non-existant.
Gamecube games were gone.
2 DS games remained on the shelf.
There was 1 four foot section of Xbox games, 4-5 sections of PS2 games (though they were very, very spread out to reach that point) and about as many GBA games left as PS2 games.

Then, there was a sparse offering of PSP titles, and then quite a few movies for the PSP.

[quote name='JSweeney']Seemed that way...

360 games were non-existant.
Gamecube games were gone.
2 DS games remained on the shelf.
There was 1 four foot section of Xbox games, 4-5 sections of PS2 games (though they were very, very spread out to reach that point) and about as many GBA games left as PS2 games.

Then, there was a sparse offering of PSP titles, and then quite a few movies for the PSP.[/QUOTE]

Which Mediaplay was this Sweeney...? Ann Arbor... Livonia... elsewhere?

bread's done
Back