Metal Gear Solid 4 & Metal Gear Online - 8/6: Rumored Trophy Update Out Now? Rumor!

[quote name='Mojimbo']Anyone know what kind of audio this is gonna support?

::Hoping for 7.1::[/quote]

I thought I had heard it was 7.1, but I watched some Kojima interview and he mentions 5.1.

[quote name='gokou36']I'm confused, how much are the strategy guides? I was told the LE strategy guide was $29.99 when I preordered it. I check online and its $19.99. Then I got a letter from Gamestop and the ad says $29.99. So which is it?[/quote]

My artbook from Gamestop has a coupon in it for $5 off the LE guide. That might come in handy. Maybe someone could scan one. I would, but I don't have easy access to a scanner.

[quote name='reiji']I thought I had heard it was 7.1, but I watched some Kojima interview and he mentions 5.1.

My artbook from Gamestop has a coupon in it for $5 off the LE guide. That might come in handy. Maybe someone could scan one. I would, but I don't have easy access to a scanner.[/quote]

If that stacks with gs's usual 20% discount for buying the game and guide at the same time, would only make the limited guide only about $20 so it would seem to be a good deal. Though I haven't even gotten the artbook yet... Damn GS.

I am curious if anyone really dosen't want the artbook. I am getting the MGS4 LE online ( my sister ordered it online for my bday, I will have to wait till at least Saturday ) and so I can't get the artbook, but I am in love with MGS and really want this. I have every MGS item released in NA and would really love this.

Would anyone be willing to sell it to me for something reasonable cheap?

[quote name='CrimGhost']I'm glad I didn't pick up that MGS4 bluetooth headset, it's been getting lousy reviews. Thanks Pelican for another shoddy accessory!
http://kotaku.com/5013770/mgs4-bluetooth-headset-sounds-pretty-crummy[/quote]

I don't put much faith in that review. I mean... they used Skype! Who knows what they were running it on! IGN's review says it was fine in L.A. traffic with the windows down, and that's what I wanted to read.

Didn't I read somewhere that BB or someone else was going to have it for $40 when it became available?

[quote name='Watchman']I don't put much faith in that review. I mean... they used Skype! Who knows what they were running it on! IGN's review says it was fine in L.A. traffic with the windows down, and that's what I wanted to read.

Didn't I read somewhere that BB or someone else was going to have it for $40 when it became available?[/QUOTE]

Eh, that may be true. But, IGN was given a prototype, they even stated that the mic and earpiece might be changed in the final product. Reading the remarks from Kotaku and GameFAQs(yeah yeah I know they're not reliable) about the headset quality I'd still be cautious about it. Guess we can all wait for more reviews though, I don't think the headset is even available in Gamestop yet, maybe later this week.

I suspect that Pelican may have screwed over Konami by giving them a quality piece as their show unit, then when they went into actual production the internals were replaced with crap.

I must warn you guys right now, do not venture on to the gametrailers forum mgs4 section. A crap load of banned trolls who have done spoilers. My MGS4 experience is now partially already ruined. I think I might stay off the internet until then.

LEs might be rare. We just got the numbers at my store, and it's not looking good for some people. We have 18 preorders for the LE, and we're only getting 14.

Is it first come, first serve then?

I'm hoping since I specifically went out of my way not to pre-order at a midnight launch store that I won't have to rush out at 10 AM to pick it up.

If you read Kotaku, make sure to scroll over NinjaPirate2000's comments. he's a troll that got his hands on MGS4 early and is posting spoilers of the game.

Fortunately, my local GS is having a midnight premiere-- I'm not too worried-- they've gotten to know me over the past few months and I don't anticipate a large crowd at my store-- though I will be a little disappointed if I'm the only one out there --or worse--stuck with some guy like that kid in A Christmas Story who kept bugging Ralphie in line to see Santa.

fuck. I just got name spoiled. Good thing my slow mind didn't read anything beyond that.

Time to bailout of the internet for the next week.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']LEs might be rare. We just got the numbers at my store, and it's not looking good for some people. We have 18 preorders for the LE, and we're only getting 14.[/QUOTE]

Now I kinda wish I would have pre-ordered one.

Hell, even at the myresistance site someone posted big spoilers in his sig so that everyone who saw one of his posts got spoiled on the game.

Well I'll see you guys after MGS4 releases, I'm going dark on anything MGS related and a lot of forums too.

I preordered 4 LEs (2 at one GS, 2 at another) just in case of situations like this.

Rest assured I better get my stuff or magazine racks will have to muster up some solid courage against me.

I just want 2 copies of the LE damn it.

I got this today though ;)

2557217925_9c88f24d53.jpg

has anybody preordered from bestbuy and done in store pickup? They don't delay any of their pickup emails do they?

Thinkin of preordering online since I have a digital coupon i got from a price mistake, as well as a $10 gift card and $10 in rewardzone certs. I'm sure they'll have plenty of copies to go around, but just wanted to make sure I have a copy by Saturday when Kojima and friends come to the Metreon.

Guess if they sell out in store though, I might as well preorder huh? lol Though I'd have the option of hitting up another store...

[quote name='MarkMan']I preordered 4 LEs (2 at one GS, 2 at another) just in case of situations like this.

Rest assured I better get my stuff or magazine racks will have to muster up some solid courage against me.

I just want 2 copies of the LE damn it.

I got this today though ;)[/quote]

Damn straight, I got screwed out of the limited edition subsistence last time, if it happens again, magazine racks will be tipped and glitter will be thrown.

fuck ME fuck ME fuck ME

STAY AWAY FROM THE KOTAKU THREAD FOR MGS 4 ANYTHING.

Spoilers, although its a spoiler i'm still not sure what it means, but still. I'm avoiding all internet game shit till next week.

for those of you who would like to know what it is you can go to kotaku and look at the mustache contest they have going on and go to the comments section and someone said "how about this badass stache" and click on the link.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Yeah, it's going to be first come, first serve.[/QUOTE]

Bullshit. It should be first reserve first serve. I got up to G$ the first day they offered reserves on the LE. I was likely in the first five people to reserve it at that store. If they don't hold my LE, shit's gonna hit the fan.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Bullshit. It should be first reserve first serve. I got up to G$ the first day they offered reserves on the LE. I was likely in the first five people to reserve it at that store. If they don't hold my LE, shit's gonna hit the fan.[/quote]

A preorder should be a guarantee, at least for the first day or two. If not, then what's the point?

That's the reason they didn't take preorders on the MGS4 PS3 bundle. Since they didn't know how many they were going to get (another thing that's going to be tough to find for awhile. Most stores are only getting 3-5). Unfortunately when the preorder numbers were sent to Konami they didn't send enough to fill them. Same thing happened with the MGS3 LE.

Hmm, guess I'm going to the midnight opening then. I have the LE payed off, does Gamestop still make you "check in" or can you just stand in line?

[quote name='primetime']A preorder should be a guarantee, at least for the first day or two. If not, then what's the point?[/quote]

For them to guarantee that they have your money.

Just look at the 360 launch. They advertised that you'd get yours midnight at launch day as long as you paid off your 360 pre-order in full. Instead they had it go first come first serve, meaning people that only put down $50 got ahead of the people who paid the full $400. I cant remember which game it was, but there was one big release where employees put the games on the shelf for customers that didnt pre-order, and if you did pre-order but didn't get your copy yet, you weren't allowed to buy one of the shelf copies at that store.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Quick PS3 question- does the system come with component cables ala the 360, or is it like the Wii where you have to buy them serperately?[/QUOTE]

Separate. Only comes with composite, which I think is very stupid.

You can use PS2 component cables if you have that or see a sale.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Quick PS3 question- does the system come with component cables ala the 360, or is it like the Wii where you have to buy them serperately?[/quote]
If you want an all-in-one solution you can pick this up, it takes care of almost anything:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-n-77-2-49-en-15-XCM-70-2lob.html

I picked up the V2 model over a year back and it's worked flawlessly, but you might want to go for the V3 since it appears the quality of the V2 might have gone down over the months judging from reviews:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-n-77-3-49-en-15-XCM-70-1smg.html

[quote name='zewone']Separate. Only comes with composite, which I think is very stupid.

You can use PS2 component cables if you have that or see a sale.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that is very dissapointing indeed. Can anyone recommend come good component cables then? I know monoprice generally has good deals, but I'd like to buy something in-store somewhere as I want them by the time I get the bundle on Thurs (with any luck).

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Wow, that is very dissapointing indeed. Can anyone recommend come good component cables then? I know monoprice generally has good deals, but I'd like to buy something in-store somewhere as I want them by the time I get the bundle on Thurs (with any luck).[/QUOTE]

Just buy the official PS2/3 Sony ones. You can usually find them for $15-20 at most retail stores. I wouldn't get cheap $5 ones as the quality tends to suck from my experience. On the other hand HDMI / DVI doesn't matter unless your going over 12ft or through walls from what I heard.

[quote name='zewone']Well, the PS3 official cable is "only" $20.

The TV you'll be playing on doesn't have HDMI?[/QUOTE]

I believe it has HDMI, but I don't really know the difference between the two other than that HDMI is rather more expensive. My TV is a 20" LCD, so I don't know if I'd really take that much advantage of it (but I could be wrong). It looks like the official Sony cables are $25 at gamestop, which is a bit much, but after spending $500 on the MGS4 bundle I don't think an extra $25 is going to kill me.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Wow, that is very dissapointing indeed. Can anyone recommend come good component cables then? I know monoprice generally has good deals, but I'd like to buy something in-store somewhere as I want them by the time I get the bundle on Thurs (with any luck).[/QUOTE]

Monoprice cables are generally as good or better than monster cable you see in big box stores. They also ship extremely fast.

If you want some combined component cables monoprice has a nice looking set for 9 bucks http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10830&cs_id=1083001&p_id=3706&seq=1&format=2

But if you have to get it in store the shitty might still have some ps2 monster component cables for 14 bucks.

Yea, definitely go with HDMI

I'm curious, what PS3 model do you have? If it's 60 or 80 GB, you'll also have the ability to upscale your PS2 games on the PS3 through HDMI, as well as DVD's

Component won't do that because of stupid Digital rights crap

[quote name='zewone']He's buying the 80GB MGS4 bundle.[/quote]
Ok, then yea, HDMI is the way to go, you'll get the most out of your PS3 and it's so much simpler with just one cable ;)

Just make sure your LCD has a HDMI or DVI (in this case you'll need a HDMI to DVI cable) input 1st and then go with those cables as they'll give you the best quality.

Wow, the HDMI cables they have at Gamestop are $60+. Why are the monoprice ones so cheap? I just want to make sure I'm buying the right kinds of cables. And so the PS3 only upscales PS2 games if you're using HDMI, right?

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Wow, the HDMI cables they have at Gamestop are $60+. Why are the monoprice ones so cheap? I just want to make sure I'm buying the right kinds of cables. And so the PS3 only upscales PS2 games if you're using HDMI, right?[/QUOTE]

Bestbuy, Gamestop and other B&M stores rip off their customers with a HUGE markup on HDMI cables.

All HDMI is the same, either they work or don't work since it's a digital signal (as opposed to component/composites analog signal, which is where brand quality matters).

Monoprice make excellent products and those are definitely PS3 compatible (I own a couple HDMI/DVI cables from monoprice).

I think you do need the HDMI for upscaling PS2 games (I know you need it to upscale DVDs).

Cool. I just ordered the 6ft ones that Zewone linked to. I still have to go home and make sure my TV has HDMI inputs, but I'm 99% sure that I saw something about that in the manual when I bought it a few months back. If not, I can still cancel my order, but I didn't want to miss out on this.

I'm buying a PS3 this week, but I'm not sure what one..

I'm a bit strapped for cash, so I can't afford a new 80 gig one.

I care about blu-ray, and BC. I also want to use HDMI, if that makes a difference. I am thinking of getting a refurbished 20gig for $379 from gamestop... any advice?

439 (refurb 20gig and regular MGS4) vs 499 (new 80gig, MGS4).

I myself would go for the 80GB, but I hardly care about PS2 BC and the 80gigs BC would be enough for me (I own a 40, so you know I really don't care). :lol:.

20GB HDD is going to fill up fast with just about any decent PS2 game requires 4-5GB installs (You can't even use the whole 20GBs), and you're getting a Sixaxis instead of a Dualshock 3.

80GB also has built in wifi and card readers, both of which the 20GB is lacking.

And, to top it all off, it's a refurb vs. a new system (with a better warranty).

I say you should just come up with the extra $60.

i just beat MGS3:SE but
when do they show that eva explains to snake how ocelot got such a high rank and the boss is his mom? i saw it on the wiki but not in game

bread's done
Back