Metal Gear Solid 4 & Metal Gear Online - 8/6: Rumored Trophy Update Out Now? Rumor!

I'm thinking I missed a ton of easter eggs and items. I didn't even get the camera. Oh well. 2nd play through ftw.

[quote name='dragonsho']I have a quick question. I have this reserved and have not picked it up yet. I didn't really enjoy the Twin Snakes and I played 20 minutes of MGS2 and thought it was lame.

Is MGS4 any different from these or is it the same basic formula?[/QUOTE]

It plays pretty differently... it's still definitely a stealth game, though, so if you don't like sneaking, don't bother.

I've found another Easter Egg in one of the mission briefings when running around as the Mk. II:
You can use the Mk. II's appendage by pressing the L1 button (IIRC) and press buttons and such - try using the appendage on the TV Remote. It switches video modes on the TV and starts showing a bunch of female models on it.

I got a kick out of that.

Oh, did anyone find the
dream sequence
in the beginning of Act 4 a lot of fun? Sure made me realize I suck at
MGS1

[quote name='Teqonix']I've found another Easter Egg in one of the mission briefings when running around as the Mk. II:
You can use the Mk. II's appendage by pressing the L1 button (IIRC) and press buttons and such - try using the appendage on the TV Remote. It switches video modes on the TV and starts showing a bunch of female models on it.

I got a kick out of that.

Oh, did anyone find the
dream sequence
in the beginning of Act 4 a lot of fun? Sure made me realize I suck at
MGS1
.[/QUOTE]

I loved that. I was already in "oh shit" mode because
You're going back to Shadow Moses, so the fact that they incorporated that brief bit from MGS1 was great. I was doubly happy to see the "a surveillance camera?" line return when you revisit the island.

finally got my bundle yesterday and yeah the intro is crazy amazing. itll be hard to ecide which to play between mgs4 or gta4 but before that its all ratchet and clank. mgs4 is definetly is one of those games 360 owners will be mad they never got their hands on.

[quote name='Chacrana']I loved that. I was already in "oh shit" mode because
You're going back to Shadow Moses, so the fact that they incorporated that brief bit from MGS1 was great. I was doubly happy to see the "a surveillance camera?" line return when you revisit the island.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, all of
Shadow Moses was amazing. The nostalgia was great, also Crying Wolf was probably my favorite boss fight so far aside from Ray

[quote name='lokizz']finally got my bundle yesterday and yeah the intro is crazy amazing. itll be hard to ecide which to play between mgs4 or gta4 but before that its all ratchet and clank. mgs4 is definetly is one of those games 360 owners will be mad they never got their hands on.[/quote]

Unless your a 360 owner and bought a PS3 just for MGS4 :) like me

[quote name='whoknows']Yeah, all of
Shadow Moses was amazing. The nostalgia was great, also Crying Wolf was probably my favorite boss fight so far aside from Ray
[/QUOTE]

Who was pissed that there weren't any pmc's there. Those rolling things are just annoying.

[quote name='crazytalkx']Anybody else agree with me when I say that this game has some of the best graphics ever? It's really a showcase for the PS3 and easily beats a lot of CG out there to boot.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but many times the game cheats as a lot of them are prerendered, if you zoom in you will notice the macro blocking from the video compression. That said one of the best looking is the graveyard and that is real time but the frame rate will hiccup.

To let Frisky know, when you and others are ready to get MGO going, you are more than welcome to start a separate thread for it (kind of like how I do my other CAG night threads) strictly for MGO only (that would be a thread you update when the next game is). This thread will stick for MGS4.

Also, you can have whatever night you want for MGO (especially since I definitely want to play it also) except for Friday night, as a main MGO night (I'd be willing to push off CoD4 on Saturday and move it. I'd prefer not to do Monday or maybe Sunday, but if you want it, I'll look into it. Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, there would be ZERO issues fitting it in). Also, I'd let you have it twice a week also for CAG nights (ones which most know about it), although people are free to play whenever. :)

I'm only 2 hours into MGS4, but I'm looking forward to playing more. I'll be playing MGO, but not until I finish MGS4.

Wow...wow...and wow. Just wrapped the single-player up an hour or so ago, and I was absolutely blown away. Kojima took everything that was great about the other MGS games, crammed them all into one package, and then pumped it full of 'roids. It was a gameplay, audio, visual, and story tour de force. I would have gladly paid $60 (in my case, $85 for the LE) for the just the story, but now, I have MGO to look forward...plus, the numerous playthroughs of the story yet to come.

My fucking game keeps freezing near the end of act iv. I'm pretty sure my save is corrupt. If someone would be so kind and send me a save file from right before
(act iv spoiler)
the metal gears fight
I'd be really appreciative. I want to see if its my save or the actual game.

[quote name='whoknows']Yeah, all of
[/quote]

I loved the whole
"Wait Snake, it's time to change to disc 2. Do you see a CD labeled disc 2?" sequence. Shadow Moses was
made of awesome.

[quote name='zewone']Has anyone found a high quality scan of the European or Japanese cover?

I really hate the US cover.[/quote]

Found this: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=642970&pid=589481539&st=0&#entry589481539

Or more specifically from that thread, this:

http://b.imagehost.org/view/0845/Front_5.png
http://b.imagehost.org/view/0991/Back.png

1210919467733.jpg

Man I love this game. I'm going to do a photo inspired replay in a few hours... and just take a bunch of pictures using a second controller.

;)

I expected to spend like a few minutes replaying it, but it's been like 2 hours, and that's skipping cinematics. I'm on the second act and I haven't killed anyone.

[quote name='lokizz']finally got my bundle yesterday and yeah the intro is crazy amazing. itll be hard to ecide which to play between mgs4 or gta4 but before that its all ratchet and clank. mgs4 is definetly is one of those games 360 owners will be mad they never got their hands on.[/QUOTE]

mad they never got their hands on?! you obviously didn't listen to the CAGcast, Cheapy and Wombat, and other xbox fans are positiveMGS4 is coming out on the 360. At least in the substenience version. I'm sure some are mad, but the other's think every game ever created should be on the 360.

[quote name='zewone']I love everything about it Broly. :D

Did you try
switching controller numbers with the PS menu? That was the first thing I did
:lol:[/QUOTE]

I did that...

[quote name='Thomas96']mad they never got their hands on?! you obviously didn't listen to the CAGcast, Cheapy and Wombat, and other xbox fans are positiveMGS4 is coming out on the 360. At least in the substenience version. I'm sure some are mad, but the other's think every game ever created should be on the 360.[/QUOTE]

The way they set MGS4 up, it could easily be ported to the 360.

It would actually be faster to switch discs between acts, rather than install.

[quote name='Thomas96']mad they never got their hands on?! you obviously didn't listen to the CAGcast, Cheapy and Wombat, and other xbox fans are positiveMGS4 is coming out on the 360. At least in the substenience version. I'm sure some are mad, but the other's think every game ever created should be on the 360.[/quote]

How many discs would a 360 version be?

[quote name='thelonepig']How many discs would a 360 version be?[/QUOTE]

I read that MGS4 is 30GBs, so I guess 4 discs.

Switch in between act 1-2.2-3, 3-4.4-5.

[quote name='zewone']I read that MGS4 is 30GBs, so I guess 4 discs.

Switch in between act 1-2.2-3, 3-4.4-5.[/quote]

Sounds fair. It's not like the 360 hasn't gotten games that size before (Lost Odyssey, at least, IIRC).

With Kojima stating that he had to remove some things from the game due to space restrictions, I'm starting to wonder when the fist 2-disc PS3 game will be released. The system is still in its early stages, so I wouldn't expect it for another year or so, but developers seem to be getting their hands around the development process now.

[quote name='MarkMan']Man I love this game. I'm going to do a photo inspired replay in a few hours... and just take a bunch of pictures using a second controller.

;)[/QUOTE]

you can hook up a usb keyboard and press "Prt Scrn" to do the same thing.

I'm back at the point I had a hard time enjoying (act 3 but only
the part where you follow the rebel
), but i will get passed it.

on a side note, snake looks insanely badass when
you equip the suit and young snake face... looks like the perfect hitman ;)

[quote name='zewone']The way they set MGS4 up, it could easily be ported to the 360.

It would actually be faster to switch discs between acts, rather than install.[/QUOTE]

I don't get how they did the whole install thing. I went back to an older save to replay a part and it installed again.

[quote name='whoknows']I don't get how they did the whole install thing. I went back to an older save to replay a part and it installed again.[/QUOTE]

Me too. I wasn't expecting that. :cry:
It's as if those mini-installs were only in a temp folder or something.

I did notice the size of the game data grow. After the first act, it was at 4GBs and after beating it, it was at 4.6GBs, so something definitely was added in those mini-installs.

I wonder why they did it that way. It's not really a big deal since it's only a minute, it's just more annoying than anything else.

Anyone find any cool codec calls? I haven't used it very much, but there have to be some, right?

I do say it's nice to have the installs in small chunks as apposed to an initial gargantuan install...

after the first install anyway it never takes longer than 2-3 min.

also,
anyone notice rosemary changes her shirt on the second playthrough? She's wearing a checkered sweeter now, where she had a greyish one in the first playthrough...

[quote name='whoknows']I wonder why they did it that way. It's not really a big deal since it's only a minute, it's just more annoying than anything else.

Anyone find any cool codec calls? I haven't used it very much, but there have to be some, right?[/quote]

I've periodically been calling Meryl's frequency from the first game (140.15), but haven't gotten anything as of yet.

Okay here's a question for those who have finished the game with a dualshock 3:

After the Screaming Mantis fight, Psycho Mantis possesses the armor and starts trying to do his mind control tricks. Naturally his first memory card trick fails, but then he tries to make the controller rumble. I still only have a Six Axis, so it didn't work and Mantis promptly freaked out and died. Does that trick actually succeed and lead to anything interesting if you have the Dualshock?

[quote name='TahoeMax']Okay here's a question for those who have finished the game with a dualshock 3:

After the Screaming Mantis fight, Psycho Mantis possesses the armor and starts trying to do his mind control tricks. Naturally his first memory card trick fails, but then he tries to make the controller rumble. I still only have a Six Axis, so it didn't work and Mantis promptly freaked out and died. Does that trick actually succeed and lead to anything interesting if you have the Dualshock?
[/quote]

I'd like to know, as well, seeing as I don't have a DS3, either. That entire sequence was funny as hell, by the way.

[quote name='Kendal']Anyone know how to
BEAT VAMP
ACT 4 help![/QUOTE]

Equip the Syringe, run up to him and grab him and then press triangle.

[quote name='Kendal']Anyone know how to
BEAT VAMP
ACT 4 help![/QUOTE]
Take out his health, grab him with CQC, then inject him with the syringe while holding him

[quote name='whoknows']I liked the beginning of Act 3 at first, but it dragged on too long.[/quote]

It did get tedious. I hate
taking pointers from Raiden. I also felt the gimmick went on too long.

"Snake, the prints scatter. Follow Naomi's prints. They're not as deep and she's wearing heels."

"Snake, there's only one set of prints, but it's deeper, like it's carrying more weight."

"Snake, those heel prints are deeper and have a wider stride than Naomi. Find the prints that match her stride."

At that point, I just started sneaking around and visiting every part of the map. Did anyone else find the small shack with a tape player of Naomi's voice saying "Help me Snake" over and over?

I think the act 4 and 5 were great, but mostly in terms of cinematic... acts 1 to 3 were very well gameplay based while 4 to 5 was heavy story... which I'm not saying is bad, I just wish this game had the perfect balance of custscenes and gameplay like MGS3... again, that's not a complaint :lol:

I just played MGS4 for the first time for 3 hours and my thoughts are....

+MGS4 is mayb e a 7 out of 10

+Why did I buy a PS3 just for this

+Metal Gear Online is very boring, no skill needed, camping

I hope MGS4 gets better

bread's done
Back