Metroid Prime 3 - Do Mother Brains' Have PMS? - 9.5 From IGN!

According to the VGC, it'll break 500k next week. I think everyone who likes this game should push it on their friends.

[quote name='daroga']The 360 was only $300 to people really bad at math (or desperate at launch). That system was so crippled it wasn't even worth buying. And it was at least $300+Memory Card cost (was it $40 at launch?) because the system is worthless without being able to save a game.[/quote]

Ditto. When MS announced that there would be two versions, I pretty much viewed the Core as additional marketing for the Premium. People would compare at the Core's specs with the Premium's and think to themselves "wow, I get absolutely nothing with the Core, but look at how much extra I get for only $100 more if I buy the Premium."

Metroid games have rarely been tremendous sellers, even though the games are a treat to play and critical darlings. Not that 500k is bad.

Finally beat this. It's easily my favorite Metroid Prime game with the Skytown portion of the game being my favorite part of any game released in 2007. Simply inspired.

I'm from the school of thought that the original Metroid Prime is the worst game in the series. Although the Phendora Drifts (and that sunken spaceship) had an amazing effect on me the first time I played through it, the overall game seemed to rely too much on the cliche of the sand level, the lava level, the snow level, etc. The entire game felt like a pseudo-exploration quest, which I understand is staying true to the roots of Metroid, but other than chasing after Ridley, it never felt like there was anything on the line. Sure you went through the history lessons of a society past, but that was beyond the point. You were after Ridley and ended up discovering Prime. Honestly, the entire game felt like one big safari where you just happened to wander through a dead civilization.

I liked Prime 2 a lot more for going in a different direction. A lot of people disliked it for the dark world aspects and the tough difficulty, but being a hardcore gamer, I appreciated these things. Also the Aliens-esque tone of Prime 2 appealed to me far more than the aimless overworld hub of Prime 1. People were dying. A world was at stake. There was an invasion ongoing and it was up to Samus to figure everything out. Yeah, there wasn't a whole lot of variety in the game, but there was a direct focus to Echoes that wasn't there in the original Prime. Plus the addition of Dark Samus gave us a direct villain to focus on, which we really didn't have in the original game.

Prime 3 wrapped everything up amazingly. The new control scheme. The four new worlds. The elaboration of the Metroid universe with additional characters and voice acting. Honestly, after having finished Prime 3, I have to say that the game felt more like the first in a new series than the third in an old one. I know Retro Studios is going to be moving on and working on something else, but I can't wait until they return to the Metroid series. It feels like there a whole lot to explore and see in Metroid. Personally I hope they take a Knights of the Old Republic approach to the next Metroid game and further elaborate on the universe and add on to the exploration aspects.

I still don't think the perfect Metroid Prime game has been created yet though. Prime 3 felt very small compared to Prime 1 and 2 and I felt like that another few planets could have been added to the story to give the game a more epic feel. Otherwise, Retro Studios is probably among my favorite development studios and I can't wait to see what they're doing next!

[quote name='Wolfpup']What does being a hardcore gamer have to do with wanting hard difficulty?[/QUOTE]

Hardcore gamers=play a lot of games= get good at games= like harder games to get a challenge.

Obviously doesn't apply to all hardcore gamers, but the shoe fits many/most.

I don't consider myself hardcore, and hate hardgames. I have no shame on playing on normal or even easy as I just want to have fun and not get all frustrated and pissed off.

The difficulty of MP3 in normal was just right for me. Hard enough that I died several times on bosses, not so hard that I got frustrated and shelved is like I did MP2.

Around here, "hardcore gamer" = only plays FPS that feature blood and tits. Any other game is crap. Double so if it comes out on the Wii. ;)

[quote name='MisterHand']Around here, "hardcore gamer" = only plays FPS that feature blood and tits. Any other game is crap. Double so if it comes out on the Wii. ;)[/quote]

I'm hardcore and look at how I pimp Zack and Wiki. :)

By the way, buy Zack and Wiki.

DMaul I know you were just trying to describe what most people think a hardcore gamer is, but I would def. consider myself a hardcore gamer and don't fit that pattern.

A hardcore gamer IMO is someone who spends a good amount of time playing/reading about/posting about/shoping for videogames. Someone who is good at them and has a "videogame instinct."

The videogame instinct I am talking about is hard to describe but basically just means someone who knows how to play a game and play it well. For instance in a game where you can't get somewhere and there is alot of (insert X item here) laying around, a hardcore gamer would know that the solution probably has something to do with the use of the X item.

A hardcore gamer knows that the key to most boss fights is that item that you just recently got. A hardcore knows how to play a game the way it was meant ot be played (in Bioshock/metroid type games they will thoroughly explore, in hitman/tom clancy games, they will use stealth and strategy, etc...)

There is no hard and fast test but I would suggest that a hardcore gamer plays at least 5 hrs a week.

I am a hardcore gamer and LOVE to play games like Pikmin, Viva Pinata, Super Paper Mario. I think it is a term that better desribes the person playing the games than the games they play (FPS w/ blood and tits).

Just my 2 cents.

Oh good god.

There is no such thing as a "hardcore gamer."

There is no way to adequately define one.

Please do not start this discussion.

[quote name='Strell']Oh good god.

There is no such thing as a "hardcore gamer."
[/quote]

Are you sure about that? I heard a rumor going around that you were one.

[quote name='pittpizza']Are you sure about that? I heard a rumor going around that you were one.[/QUOTE]

I have 18 jackhammers of fury stuffed in my pants, mixed with equal parts kerosene and diamond juice.

But enough about that.

Just finished this game literally a few minutes ago.

Need to figure out where I missed five damn pickups.

Otherwise, pretty phenomenal game. Boss fights could be a little better though.

The final planet was exactly what Metroid is all about.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Hardcore gamers=play a lot of games= get good at games= like harder games to get a challenge.

Obviously doesn't apply to all hardcore gamers, but the shoe fits many/most.

I don't consider myself hardcore, and hate hardgames. I have no shame on playing on normal or even easy as I just want to have fun and not get all frustrated and pissed off.[/quote]

I guess I just think of it differently-just as someone who has gaming as a main hobby. I can't stand hard games (and it's EASY to make a game hard-a lot of people don't seem to understand that).

For years now I've always played stuff on Easy if it's available as a real mode. Can't stand playing halfway through a game and getting stuck somewhere, I hate cheesy difficulty, etc. I want to play through something and experience it, it's not like I'm trying to impress someone!

[quote name='pittpizza']...
A hardcore gamer IMO is someone who spends a good amount of time playing/reading about/posting about/shoping for videogames. Someone who is good at them and has a "videogame instinct."

The videogame instinct I am talking about is hard to describe but basically just means someone who knows how to play a game and play it well. For instance in a game where you can't get somewhere and there is alot of (insert X item here) laying around, a hardcore gamer would know that the solution probably has something to do with the use of the X item....[/quote]

That "videogame instinct" just means you've played a lot of games, and know the language of them. I think generally anyone is going to be able to do that if they're average intelligence. Just like you get to know how generally the flow of most movies is going to go (and start to appreciate stuff that breaks that mold).

There is no hard and fast test but I would suggest that a hardcore gamer plays at least 5 hrs a week.

I am a hardcore gamer and LOVE to play games like Pikmin, Viva Pinata, Super Paper Mario. I think it is a term that better desribes the person playing the games than the games they play (FPS w/ blood and tits).

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, to me it just means you play a lot of games, spend a significant amount of time and probably money on them. And I guess I'd throw in the criteria that you play real games, you can't ONLY play like solitare and Brain Age all day, but have to be primarily interested in real games (like you mentioned ie Pikmen, Final Fantasy, Zelda, whatever).

[quote name='Wolfpup']I guess I just think of it differently-just as someone who has gaming as a main hobby. I can't stand hard games (and it's EASY to make a game hard-a lot of people don't seem to understand that).
[/QUOTE]

I'd agree with that definition. I just think that more people with gaming as a main hobby (especially if it's their #1 hobby) are more likely to be good at games just from playing more (practice makes perfect).

They're are exceptions to every rule of course, like you and I who game a decent amount but hate hard games. :D

Thus why you see the call for harder games from Nintendo by hardcore (or serious, or whatever you want to call them) gamers on forums like this.

use of the "hardcore" term is really little more than a way for those who feel ashamed about the amount of games they play to separate themselves from the negative image of a gamer. Very rarely does anyone apply this term to themselves.. just to others.

[quote name='jer7583']use of the "hardcore" term is really little more than a way for those who feel ashamed about the amount of games they play to separate themselves from the negative image of a gamer. [/QUOTE]

I'd think "hardcore gamer" has a more negative image than just gamer.

[quote name='Zen Davis']Life is hard. Why shouldn't your games be the same?[/QUOTE]

I play most of the time to relax and unwind from games....

Picross DS at night is great for this!

[quote name='dmaul1114']I play most of the time to relax and unwind from games....

Picross DS at night is great for this![/quote]

Life is hard. Play harder.

[quote name='Zen Davis']Life is hard. Play harder.[/QUOTE]

:D That's what the gym, intramural sports and hiking are for. :D

I like harder games too, just not super hard stuff like Ninja Gaiden or Metroid Prime 2. I just get frustrated and don't have fun, which ruins it for me since games are meant to be fun.

But of course it's great that there are hard games for those who have fun playing them.

[quote name='dmaul1114']:D That's what the gym, intramural sports and hiking are for. :D

I like harder games too, just not super hard stuff like Ninja Gaiden or Metroid Prime 2. I just get frustrated and don't have fun, which ruins it for me since games are meant to be fun.

But of course it's great that there are hard games for those who have fun playing them.[/QUOTE]
I kind of agree with you. While I played Ninja Giaden, beat it, and loved it--the truth is that generally I'd much rather play through a game and enjoy the entire experience than get hopelessly stuck on one level and quit. Sometimes it isn't even getting stuck as much as it is getting lost or disinterested because of frustrating and/or difficult design. That's one thing I generally really liked about Crackdown. I just wish there had been more of it.

[quote name='elwood731']I kind of agree with you. While I played Ninja Giaden, beat it, and loved it--the truth is that generally I'd much rather play through a game and enjoy the entire experience than get hopelessly stuck on one level and quit. Sometimes it isn't even getting stuck as much as it is getting lost or disinterested because of frustrating and/or difficult design. That's one thing I generally really liked about Crackdown. I just wish there had been more of it.[/QUOTE]

Totally. My main problem is things like bosses that take me 20+ times to beat, or cheap one hit deaths and stuff like that.

I like my challenge to come from puzzles, or figuring out how to kill a boss etc. Metroid Prime 3 was great on Normal for me, as that was exactly where the challenge came from. Unlike MP2 (and to a lesser extent MP1) where even after figuring out how to beat the boss it took me 20+ trys on some of them to execute the strategy.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Totally. My main problem is things like bosses that take me 20+ times to beat, or cheap one hit deaths and stuff like that.

I like my challenge to come from puzzles, or figuring out how to kill a boss etc. Metroid Prime 3 was great on Normal for me, as that was exactly where the challenge came from. Unlike MP2 (and to a lesser extent MP1) where even after figuring out how to beat the boss it took me 20+ trys on some of them to execute the strategy.[/quote]

Gamefaqs.

[quote name='Zen Davis']Gamefaqs.[/QUOTE]

Gamefaqs helps with figuring out what to do. It doesn't help you execute it without dying.

I enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to damage a boss (bosses in MP3 were great). I don't like dying 20 times after figuring out how to damage them as it's so hard to get the timing down to dodge their attacks and get yours in etc. (MP2).

The solution is just for Nintendo to put variable difficulty in from the start in their games just like they did with MP3. Then people that like hard games can enjoy it, and people who like easier games can enjoy it as well.

What a goddamn shame.

Top Wii Sellers

1 Wii Play
2 Naruto: Clash of the Ninja Revolution
3 Zack & Wiki: QfBT
4 Mario Party 8
5 EA Playground
6 My Sims
7 Carnival Games
8 Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
9 Bleach: Shattered Blade
10 Metroid Prime 3

At least Zack & Wiki is selling. But it's still a massive failure on Nintendo's part when it comes to marketing their big titles.

[quote name='KingBroly']At least Zack & Wiki is selling. But it's still a massive failure on Nintendo's part when it comes to marketing their big titles.[/QUOTE]

You mean Capcom.

Agreed. The whole 'Wii would like to play' thing just doesn't work for Metroid. I'd like to see some Zack & Wiki ads, but then again, I couldn't find it to buy it anyway.

I'm at the shapeshifter boss - am I 1/2 way done yet? I'm losing steam on this (but I love it) since I just got GHIII and I'm still sitting on Bioshock...

shapeshifter boss is more than halfway, probably closer to 3/4- depending on how many energy cells you have been collecting

[quote name='javeryh']I'm at the shapeshifter boss - am I 1/2 way done yet? I'm losing steam on this (but I love it) since I just got GHIII and I'm still sitting on Bioshock...[/quote]

You're almost there.

Sweet. I just had my posse attack the pirate homeworld after getting the nova beam for the green doors. I think I read here that there is a map that shows all the item locations - can I get that yet? I feel like I must be getting close... I've got 5 fuel cells too and I think I placed 2 or 3 on the deserted ship already...

[quote name='Zen Davis']What a goddamn shame.

Top Wii Sellers

1 Wii Play
2 Naruto: Clash of the Ninja Revolution
3 Zack & Wiki: QfBT
4 Mario Party 8
5 EA Playground
6 My Sims
7 Carnival Games
8 Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
9 Bleach: Shattered Blade
10 Metroid Prime 3[/QUOTE]
What. WHAT?! Those games ahead of Metroid had better sold 10+ million copies.

I got to
the Chozo Observatory and I think I got all the item locations - even though there were like 15 or so places that it looked like I could bomb I was only able to do 5 or 6 of them. Plus, I used the Nova beam with my X-ray visor to open up the thing in the center of the room. I also beat Omega Ridley - I think I'm just about finished although it's going to take a while to collect all the crap I've missed...

[quote name='javeryh']I got to
the Chozo Observatory and I think I got all the item locations - even though there were like 15 or so places that it looked like I could bomb I was only able to do 5 or 6 of them. Plus, I used the Nova beam with my X-ray visor to open up the thing in the center of the room. I also beat Omega Ridley - I think I'm just about finished although it's going to take a while to collect all the crap I've missed...
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, at this point,
you need to collect enough energy cells to get to the bridge of the Valhalla and get the codes for the portal to Phazee. Then go back to the pirate home world, find the teleporter up to the ship, and off you go.

And Phazee fucking rocks. Probably the best art direction Retro has pulled off in the Prime trilogy. You will be floored at the end game sequence. :D

I need to go back to this one day and finished my hyper mode second play through. All those damn 360 games have kept me otherwise occupied. :cry:

[quote name='The Crotch']The entire last 45 minutes of Corruption is by far one of the greatest things I've ever played through. Better than my beloved Wind Waker final boss battle. Better than the start of "The Silent Cartographer" in Halo. Better than the opera scene in Final Fantasy 6.[/QUOTE]

I would have preferred if the final boss battles had been more legitimately difficult. Now as hellishly difficult as Meta Ridley and Metroid Prime from the first Prime, but just more difficulty outside of
the continuous risk of Phazon corruption.
. Maybe more like the Emperor Ing in Prime 2... that was a damn cool boss battle.

Now, I would probably kill for a new 2D Metroid on the DS or as Wiiware!

[quote name='The Crotch']As for the difficulty of the final fights in Corruption?
Would have been difficult if not for the AU's first form. Any damage done by Dark Samus can be completely negated by just farming the AU for health. Myself, I walked in to that fight in a world of hurt. Motherfucker exploding guy knocked me into a pool of phazon just before I destroyed the Leviathan fetus. Even the mountain of health the Leviathan gave didn't really help
.[/quote]

I hear you on that.
I was one-shotted from near full health in that God-damned pool of phazon below the "abortion" miniboss battle.

I played another 2 hours last night so I'm up to 16:09 on the time next to my game file. I'm also at 85%. After getting the item maps I couldn't help myself and I started going from planet to planet to collect everything. I got everything in Skytown and on Norion. I was planning on finishing the game last night but before I knew it midnight had passed and I had to get to sleep.

I'm almost done getting everything in Bryyo but there is one powerup I just can't find - it's in a large room with some of the stone statues and there is a large half pipe against the back wall. There are multiple entry points to the room - most notably a hole in the center of the ground that leads to an orange door. Can anyone help me get this thing?

[quote name='javeryh']I played another 2 hours last night so I'm up to 16:09 on the time next to my game file. I'm also at 85%. After getting the item maps I couldn't help myself and I started going from planet to planet to collect everything. I got everything in Skytown and on Norion. I was planning on finishing the game last night but before I knew it midnight had passed and I had to get to sleep.

I'm almost done getting everything in Bryyo but there is one powerup I just can't find - it's in a large room with some of the stone statues and there is a large half pipe against the back wall. There are multiple entry points to the room - most notably a hole in the center of the ground that leads to an orange door. Can anyone help me get this thing?[/quote]

I'm stuck over here too. I wish I knew what to do with those structures on my ship's grappling hook.

[quote name='javeryh']
I'm almost done getting everything in Bryyo but there is one powerup I just can't find - it's in a large room with some of the stone statues and there is a large half pipe against the back wall. There are multiple entry points to the room - most notably a hole in the center of the ground that leads to an orange door. Can anyone help me get this thing?[/QUOTE]

Hehe, I had a little trouble with this one too.

First, at the half pipe area, you should be able to get into a door near the white dot. Go inside it, and ultimately, you should travel to an area where there's an energy pack, with green walls moving in and out you can space jump on. You HAVE to go here first, because you need to activate/open the gate.

Once you've done that, you need to go to the second area. Go to the landing site...I'm not sure which one it is, but it's the one that leads to one of the shield generators you had to bomb earlier. The area is kinda shaped like:

O
I
I

It's where you had to disable the anti-aircraft devices, and at one point, you were in an area where there were three switches to pull, and during that time, flying pirates came after you, and you'd have to shoot them before they could reset the switches. Make sense where I'm talking about? It might be the second or third site on the planet to land at.

Anyway.

Go there, and on the upper left area of the O (on my crude map up there), there's a large device that you can scan that says - basically - that it can be used as a power source.

This is a clue back at the area you were in the with the half-pipe - if you scan the area where the white dot is, you should see something that says "this is not being powered."

Use your ship to pick up the device you see.

Then go back to that area with the half pipe THROUGH this secret area. You have to go under the device you picked up and travel over to it - they connect, and I don't think you can use your ship to get back to the other area without having to drop the item you picked up. You should have gotten an energy pack there earlier. When you get back to the half pipe area, tell your ship to drop it down.

It's been a while, so I'm a little sketchy on details. But basically you have to open that gate in the energy pack room from the half-pipe area's side first, go to the other area, pick up the power source with your ship, travel back using that secret area to the half-pipe, and drop the source onto the structure.

That should allow you to get the power cell that's there.

Let me know if that cleared it up for you.

[quote name='Strell']Hehe, I had a little trouble with this one too.

First, at the half pipe area, you should be able to get into a door near the white dot. Go inside it, and ultimately, you should travel to an area where there's an energy pack, with green walls moving in and out you can space jump on. You HAVE to go here first, because you need to activate/open the gate.

Once you've done that, you need to go to the second area. Go to the landing site...I'm not sure which one it is, but it's the one that leads to one of the shield generators you had to bomb earlier. The area is kinda shaped like:

O
I
I

It's where you had to disable the anti-aircraft devices, and at one point, you were in an area where there were three switches to pull, and during that time, flying pirates came after you, and you'd have to shoot them before they could reset the switches. Make sense where I'm talking about? It might be the second or third site on the planet to land at.

Anyway.

Go there, and on the upper left area of the O (on my crude map up there), there's a large device that you can scan that says - basically - that it can be used as a power source.

This is a clue back at the area you were in the with the half-pipe - if you scan the area where the white dot is, you should see something that says "this is not being powered."

Use your ship to pick up the device you see.

Then go back to that area with the half pipe THROUGH this secret area. You have to go under the device you picked up and travel over to it - they connect, and I don't think you can use your ship to get back to the other area without having to drop the item you picked up. You should have gotten an energy pack there earlier. When you get back to the half pipe area, tell your ship to drop it down.

It's been a while, so I'm a little sketchy on details. But basically you have to open that gate in the energy pack room from the half-pipe area's side first, go to the other area, pick up the power source with your ship, travel back using that secret area to the half-pipe, and drop the source onto the structure.

That should allow you to get the power cell that's there.

Let me know if that cleared it up for you.[/quote]

Awesome - thanks Strell. I'm going to give it a shot tonight - I'm actually hoping to finish the game.

Last night I got up to 94/100 powerups found (I think) but I am definitely missing an energy tank and one fuel cell. I was one cell short on the GFS Valhalla and I'm willing to bet that gets me the last energy tank. I don't see on my maps where six remaining powerups could be though - I think there are like 3 or 4 dots left... I hope I got all the item locations from the observatory in Skytown. Anyway, I'm going to give it another hour of wandering around trying to collect everything and then it's on to Phaaze for presumably the last battle with Dark Samus. I'm also rocking the Mii bobblehead in my ship which is just about the greatest "extra" of all time. What a great game!

i'll admit i haven't read this whole thread but i have a questions.

how do you guys compare MP3 to MP2? i got really far in MP1 (never beat it) and I want to move on to either MP3 (once i get a wii) or MP2.

i've heard a lot of people recommend that MP1 fans should skip MP2 and move on to MP3. any thoughts on this? thanks

I am in the miniority but I thought Echoes was a far better experience than Metroid Prime in that it had a very cinematic world. At the same time, you'll need a lot of patience to get through Echoes. There are mini-lulls in the game where you need to stop in energy bubbles in the dark world because wandering around outside of the bubbles automatically reduces your life as if you stepped into acid rain.

On the other hand, I felt the planet was far more interesting in that the world in Echoes reeked of death. Where Metroid Prime felt like fighting through the local mutated wildlife in order to get to Ridley, Echoes was more about survival against the insane alien species on the planet. No matter where you went, more death awaited you. Even the pirates were getting decimated.

Overall I would say that if you don't think you'll be patient enough for Echoes then just skip ahead to Corruption.

[quote name='Zen Davis']I am in the miniority but I thought Echoes was a far better experience than Metroid Prime in that it had a very cinematic world. At the same time, you'll need a lot of patience to get through Echoes. There are mini-lulls in the game where you need to stop in energy bubbles in the dark world because wandering around outside of the bubbles automatically reduces your life as if you stepped into acid rain.

On the other hand, I felt the planet was far more interesting in that the world in Echoes reeked of death. Where Metroid Prime felt like fighting through the local mutated wildlife in order to get to Ridley, Echoes was more about survival against the insane alien species on the planet. No matter where you went, more death awaited you. Even the pirates were getting decimated.

Overall I would say that if you don't think you'll be patient enough for Echoes then just skip ahead to Corruption.[/quote]

Thanks! I think that overall MP experience has a lot to do with patience and exploration which isn't a bad thing.

bread's done
Back