Microsoft Store (B&M) - Free $20 Gift Card YMMV?

DCpinoy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
$20 promotion is not confirmed by others yet.

Apparently you can take a short lesson/class on Windows 8 and upon finishing it you receive a $20 gift card.

[quote name='dennisb407']Went to the MS store at 6am this morning to be one of the first 100 people in line to get the $99.99 Xbox Music Pass card and to check out the debut of the Surface tablet.

First time at the MS store because it's at a large mall that's mainly tourists so I try to avoid it all costs. I went early cause Im used to chaotic Apple events but the lines at MS didnt build up til 9am area. After opening they held an approx. 35 minute class on Windows 8, just 3 people and myself sat down to listen to speaker in a store full of people lol, but afterwards I received a $20 giftcard

I think the classes my be going on all week, every hour on the hour.[/QUOTE]

Old Information about Bing vs. Google challenge.
Went to the Microsoft Store today at Valley Fair Mall, San Jose CA. I did the Bing vs. Google challenge and was given a gift card voucher upon completion. It's worth 25 dollars and no minimum purchase required. The vouchers are good in store only and until the 25th of October.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY'] These are some of the better options I think other than pts or live gold cards. Seems like the South Coast Plaza store wont be "getting" any until friday. That is if they sell them in store.

4 Eneloop AA (AAA same price) $11
16gb flash $20
16gb flash $23
8gb flash (fancy or something) $25
Belkin mini surge $20
comfort mouse $25
confort mouse 6000 $30
wireless keyboard $25
wireless keyboard 2000 $30
Samsung 55" LED HDTV $4000
HP large surge $25
Monster portable surge (3 outlets and usb, interesting) $25
weird usb home/car charger thing $30
Telephone headset for smartphone (girlfriend has been wanting one of these) $30
razer mousepad $35
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='V4oLDbOY']no, just the plain game and no code or anything inside. I'll admit I haevn't investigate the game before release except a few reviews, but I did expect an online pass or something. Just a piece of paper about some sweepstakes, no manual, nothing.[/QUOTE]

Considering it's a MS game you would have expected something, I have codes from my GS preorder to use (or sell) :)

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']PSA: The South Coast store put out a small number of points cards, Dance Central branded. They rearranged the store so they are on the far right side of the game section. The employee that was there said that they were putting out a few each day until they get more in as they took down all the plain 1600 pts cards for the preorder promos this week as we suspected. But they are still selling the branded cards, just a small stack each day though. I doubt any are still there as of now, this was about an hour ago they had maybe 25-30 cards left.

I can sort of confirm what he said since I picked up my Forza preorder. You have to ask about the preorder bonuses since most of the employees are new and dont know about it. A manager has to get a stack of rubber banded pts cards, the plain 1600 ones same one you can buy at retail, but these are already scanned and activated along with the gift card.

So $35 + tax for Forza Horizon 1600 pts and $10 gift card.

I also brought my Dad with me this time since I had the day off and another pts card. I then used the last coupon I was saving in case they stopped giving out the coupons before Forza came out.

So my totals so far. (granted these are with my gf and Dad coming with me twice. I bought them lunch it was fine.)

9 x 1600 pts (2 cost $5 with the $10 preorder)
2 x 3 month
Halo Anniversary $5+tax
Forza Horizon $35+tax
$10 gift card.

$58ish after tax so far.

Planning on using that gift card on ACIII which I already put $10 down with another coupon. So $40 for that with 1600 pts and $10 GC. Use that on Halo 4 so $40 for that as well. Then I got the $25 GC to get something I guess.

Also, is there a different version of Forza for preorders like a first run LE or something? I saw someone buying a version that looked like it had some plastic sleeve on it, but it looked like Forza Horizon. I asked, but the cashier said that the LE is exclusive to gamestop. I dont know since I never looked into it before preordering. I'm guessing that was a collectors edition or something that costs more.

Also Also, that list I posted, they said they had most of those, but were sold out because of the Bing challenge. Most people just ask what's around $25 and they show them. All the 16gb flash sticks were gone,

The Mall of America store told me today that they got a memo saying they couldn't use the card on Xbox Live Points or Subscriptions anymore. Can't complain, got 5 points cards for free. Grabbed a media remote today to give to my dad (gave him my old xbox and my old remote (mostly for Netflix), but the old remote is getting crappy so he could use a new one). May help my sister get some skylanders tomorrow.

The MOA store also put out a bunch of Halo 4 toys by the way. $12.99 each.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']The Mall of America store told me today that they got a memo saying they couldn't use the card on Xbox Live Points or Subscriptions anymore. Can't complain, got 5 points cards for free. Grabbed a media remote today to give to my dad (gave him my old xbox and my old remote (mostly for Netflix), but the old remote is getting crappy so he could use a new one). May help my sister get some skylanders tomorrow.

The MOA store also put out a bunch of Halo 4 toys by the way. $12.99 each.[/QUOTE]

i didnt see no halo 4 toys :(

Update on Oakbrokpok, IL.

Went this evening, walked in and did the challenge, got my voucher, then the 1600 point card, no hassles. There were a LOT of 1600 point cards available, both the new green card & the Dance Central branded ones.

I might go back tomorrow or Thursday, but Thursday they are showcasing the Surface so it might be crowded (which could also be a good thing)

just got back from oakbrook IL.

Very easy, even forced my parents to come along. got three 1600 cards

I thought they used to sell 2400 cards but they dont carry those.

Im gunna have to go back 2m and thurs, this is too good to pass uo.

Went to the Microsoft Store for 4th time of the deal to pick up MOH Warfighter which i preordered the other day with a $25 voucher. Used another $25 voucher today to pay it off and they even took off the $10 bonus gift card that you are suppose to get after purchase. I did not ask them to do it but a manager handled the transaction. Also received the 1600 pts that comes in the bonus. In all I paid $15.00 for MOH with tax 19.92(must tax on the whole $60.00 total?) Sweet deal I must have made over $250 on this deal.

Wife and I went by the Palo Alto store again tonight about 15 min before closing. The woman immediate asked if we had done the Bing-It-On challenge thing before. I said that I had, and she was like, "Great! So you know the drill and I don't have to explain it". She told me how she'd seen some people come in every day, do the challenge, grab a 1600pt card, and go.

She said they didn't really care - that's what they were told to allow and it doesn't hurt the affect the employees in any way. Very cool. They still had a few 1600pt cards left but they were definitely starting to run low. They were complete out of the eneloop batteries too.

I did it a second time. I probably should have got a preorder on a game and a points. But I told him to preorder two games instead and paid $15 for a points card.

Guess this puts me out another $5 points card. Kind of tempted about going tomorrow to try and snag just two 1600 cards for $25.

All in all I have preorders on AC3, Halo 4, and CoD: Blop2. Rolling the $10 over, then $25, then I guess put the last $10 on points. Really nothing else I'd want in store. Playing with the math, this is a huge win in the value department. Wish it lasted another week.

I knew I should have tried to get in on this early. Those MS points would have been great. Not really anything else I want to buy now.

anybody go to oakbrook multiple times?

also an employee there said that they will be giving away 25 dollar vouchers on the night of halo 4 release that you can use on the game. beats my newegg preorder

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']anybody go to oakbrook multiple times?

also an employee there said that they will be giving away 25 dollar vouchers on the night of halo 4 release that you can use on the game. beats my newegg preorder[/QUOTE]
Wow. In a raffle or something, or everyone in attendance gets one? That would be one hell of a deal...

Free 10.00 preorder deposit from current 10/25/12 vouchers= 55 after tax-25 voucher from midnight launch= 30 with free 25 dollar gift card.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Wow. In a raffle or something, or everyone in attendance gets one? That would be one hell of a deal...

Free 10.00 preorder deposit from current 10/25/12 vouchers= 55 after tax-25 voucher from midnight launch= 30 with free 25 dollar gift card.[/QUOTE]
no everyone gets one

along with a raffle for LE console and game

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']no everyone gets one

along with a raffle for LE console and game[/QUOTE]

at every store? on the night before release (nov 5)? I may have to go if so.

[quote name='themixmaster']at every store? on the night before release (nov 5)? I may have to go if so.[/QUOTE]
idk i only know its going down at the oakbrook store for sure

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']anybody go to oakbrook multiple times?

also an employee there said that they will be giving away 25 dollar vouchers on the night of halo 4 release that you can use on the game. beats my newegg preorder[/QUOTE]

I have only gone once. I MIGHT go tonight and drag my dad along (he is too cheap to buy any Skyrim add-ons), if I do I'll post again.

Off-topic but since there was some mention of launch party...

Me: "Do you have any details about your Halo 4 midnight release party?"
MS Store employee: "No. But I know it's going to be awesome!"

A+ for enthusiasm I guess...

Anyone get any launch party details? None of the gray shirts working the floor could tell me anything...

[quote name='henhowc']Off-topic but since there was some mention of launch party...

Me: "Do you have any details about your Halo 4 midnight release party?"
MS Store employee: "No. But I know it's going to be awesome!"

A+ for enthusiasm I guess...

Anyone get any launch party details? None of the gray shirts working the floor could tell me anything...[/QUOTE]

I asked the same question and got roughly the same response. I assume that since they took down my email address for the pre-order they will be sending out an email with details pretty soon.

I also searched for info in the net and there are meet ups planned for nearly every store. Maybe the meet up organizers are store employees? If you join the meet up there might be more info.

[quote name='samejgink']Anyone see if the Halo 4 War Games Map Pass is in store? Its a 2000 MS point branded card.[/QUOTE]

Did not see this nor any 2000 point cards in general only 1600 and 4000. It would be strange for them to have this out before Halo 4 methinks?

Got at more store looked psyched. "you coming right.... Good good"

Do they just want folks there to justify being open late?

Just did it again twice , and put $25 towards the Halo 4 console. Also got points and fps freak. Looks like the new points branded cards do not scan so grab the halo or dance central ones. Also noticed the Los Angeles store wiped out the video game section and pretty much just has recent releases. Hopefully this doesn't ruin the black Friday sale.

Thanks. Got a 50-dollar card. Was going to get two 1600 cards, but thought for 10 more I can get an epic 4000. Had I known, I could have got someone to do another 25 dollars off, but whatever.

Can anyone vouch for the Razer Onza TE controller they have in-store? Was thinking about buying it with the voucher, but from what I remember the controller had durability issues in most reviews. I was wondering if the ones in-store are newer models or made from the same batch as launch.

[quote name='Ma12kez']Can anyone vouch for the Razer Onza TE controller they have in-store? Was thinking about buying it with the voucher, but from what I remember the controller had durability issues in most reviews. I was wondering if the ones in-store are newer models or made from the same batch as launch.[/QUOTE]

Dont get it. get thr halo 4 limited or chrome

[quote name='Calinks']So will we still be able to do this tomorrow or is today the last day?[/QUOTE]

I'm curious to know this too. Anyone know for sure?

Here's hoping they extend it.

Come on Microsoft. Right now it's pointless to bribe us. Next week you can drag us in and try and trick us into looking at Windows 8 on tablets.

Do they restock MS points during the day? I just went in today and saw rows filled with 1600 MS Points and they were all gone within 5 mins as I was checking out....

[quote name='The Punisher']Dont get it. get thr halo 4 limited or chrome[/QUOTE]Damn, I wanted a wired one so I can use it for the PC as well. Only ones they seem to carry are the Afterglow, Onza, and MLG Pro. I find it a bit odd they don't carry their first party wired controllers, not even in the back storage area. Wireless probably sells better I guess.

A guy on facebook posted a picture of him getting 12 ms point card so if the south coast store is out of them you can blame him

I went in again, and saw something very odd. They completely redid the gaming section, and basically took out every cheap/non-new game. Even Doom 3 was gone, I assume because it's new and cheap after coupon. There was a ridiculous amount of preorder boxes to cover up the fact they removed 75% of the games.

Still, I got a points card, and picked up a 16GB steel flash drive for 8.00 after tax. It sells for 10.00 on Amazon, so slight discount, and a little less guilt.

South Coast store put out a bunch of pts cards today and 3 month cards. Maybe the suspicion that they took them down in case of the preorder bonuses was right. Doubt it though as the ones they are putting out now are branded ones and the preorder ones seem to be the plain ones.

Anyways I got another 1600 pt card and pick up another one for $15.

I was planning on just selling it for $15 to a cag. But I'd rather sell it to someone who got screwed at a microsoft store since the South Coast store has been awesome with this deal. So whoever can show me their post where they posted about getting screwed somehow and not edited after my post can have it at $15 cost. Not free, but 25% discount isn't bad. gone

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ma12kez']Damn, I wanted a wired one so I can use it for the PC as well. Only ones they seem to carry are the Afterglow, Onza, and MLG Pro. I find it a bit odd they don't carry their first party wired controllers, not even in the back storage area. Wireless probably sells better I guess.[/QUOTE]

The official wired controllers seem to be disappearing from all shelves. Makes me believe they have discontinued them.

Tomorrows the last day folks

[quote name='Ma12kez']Damn, I wanted a wired one so I can use it for the PC as well. Only ones they seem to carry are the Afterglow, Onza, and MLG Pro. I find it a bit odd they don't carry their first party wired controllers, not even in the back storage area. Wireless probably sells better I guess.[/QUOTE]

saw the same exact stock at my store too. ended up getting an Afterglow controller. not bad, especially for 7.50 out the door.

[quote name='The Punisher']So is it just a regular 2000 point card?[/QUOTE]

Its basically a 2000 point card, with Halo 4 branding on it (like the Dance Central ones).

So to everyone complaining about the stores being switched around, they're basically clearing everything out to showcase the Surface & Windows 8. I was told every computer & display in store (Oakbrook, IL) was being removed and replaced for the launch of Surface, which just so happens... TOMORROW!

That's also why they won't extend this promotion... they won't let you use those cards on their new products!

[quote name='breakingcustoms']when talking to the reps at my MS store, they are going to offer $20 discount cards for people who want to take a Windows 8 training in a few days...[/QUOTE]

Hell, I did that for free the first time so I didn't look like I was voucher thirsty. :D
Surely do it again if it meant I could add it to one of my preorders when they come out. Smart move from MS would be is make it $20 off a Windows 8 device.

Took the challenge 3 times this week. Between the vouchers and pre-order bonuses I figured I end up with:
Forza Horizon
Halo 4
Black Ops 2
3 - 1600 point cards
1 - $10 store credit.

All for $120!

bread's done
Back