Monster Hunter Tri - $44.99 at GameStop & Amazon

earvcunanan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
300 (100%)
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76127

Note: GameStop is no longer taking pre-orders for the CCP bundle.
Bonus: 500 Wii Points for pre-ordering at GameStop.
Amazon has the bundle for $59.99 and are offering a $10 video games credit.

If you're planning on getting MH3, it is HIGHLY recommended that you play it using the CCP and NOT the Wiimote/Nunchuk combo. I think Nintendo will sell the CCP separately for $19.99. This is a great deal.

Also, the game is confirmed to be FREE to play online! :applause:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='icedrake523']There was an article about working at GameStop; labeling the types of co-workers, managers, and customers. It basically said most female employees aren't hired for their knowledge on games but for eye candy. It's sexist but it's true in most cases.[/QUOTE]

They should also cover how every woman who walks into a gamestop gets treated like she is an idiot. I knew more about this game than he did, and he still kept trying to inform me about facts I already knew.

I really hat gamestop. Place Shaq-fuking sucks. I go in there Looking for Blood Bowl for the PC. Guy gives me this look and asks the other 3 associates there, no on has heard of it even though there are about a 1/2 dozen XBOX 360 copies of it. He looks it up on the computer and says we dont have it.

I ask if they have Williams Pinball Collection for XBOX 360. Guy is on the computer for a minute and says......"you're looking for Black College Football, right?" I tell them to look for Pinball, and they dont find it.

I ask about Monster Hunter 3, again guy looks clueless. Asks other guy behind the desk. Other guy says, that doesnt even have a release date yet. I ask about the demo, they guy says we have no demos in this store. I give up.

[quote name='cycophuk']I went by GS earlier to pre-order and it rang up at 59.99. I told the guy that the website said 54.99 and he told me it was an online only exclusive. The website says that the 5 bucks should be taken off at time of purchase. I'm sure the dude was full of shit, but I don't understand why the game rang up at full price instead of the discounted price. Has anyone else had any issues with getting the B&M stores ring up the discounted price?[/QUOTE]

If this is like other $ off promotions GS has had the discount will be taken off when you actually come in and pick up your game. They did this with some other game I reserved a few months back. My preorder listed the full price but I received the discount when I picked up my copy a few weeks later.

[quote name='rant']If this is like other $ off promotions GS has had the discount will be taken off when you actually come in and pick up your game. They did this with some other game I reserved a few months back. My preorder listed the full price but I received the discount when I picked up my copy a few weeks later.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense if I was just wanting to put a couple bucks down, but I was wanting to pay the game off. Does that mean they would refund me 5 bucks? What I'm probably gonna do is just pull their site up on my phone and show the person where it says I'm supposed to get the 5 bucks off in the store, not online only.

[quote name='Newman6818'] I'm kinda dissapointed they went back to making it a PS2, er Wii, game to cut down on production costs.[/QUOTE]

Can't get much more lame than that folks. More than three years in. :roll:

Anyway, I'll be calling around to see if any stores have the demo out early. I have the game preordered but I really can't wait to play this one.

[quote name='Newman6818'] But since this originally started out as a PS3 game, I'm kinda dissapointed they went back to making it a PS2, er Wii, game to cut down on production costs. It would have been glorious on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

:applause: insert lame joke about the wii here ^

[quote name='icedrake523']I'm sure 90% of all women working at GameStop have no clue what they're talking about.[/QUOTE]

I had to call five GameStop stores in my area before I found the only one who had any knowledge whatsoever of a Monster Hunter Tri demo disc - and that one employee was a woman, who was aware that no preorder was required.

[quote name='kurtori']I had to call five GameStop stores in my area before I found the only one who had any knowledge whatsoever of a Monster Hunter Tri demo disc - and that one employee was a woman, who was aware that no preorder was required.[/QUOTE]

Guess you found someone in the 10% that have a clue.

A female friend of mine runs the gamestop at the closest mall. She has a clue as to what is happening, but the rest of her staff are morons. I quit dealing with gamestop long ago when pre-order bonuses were not handed out on-time, no follow-up calls, and poor customer service.

Discs are out. Gamestops just received them. Called all of them in my area and they ALL said you needed to preorder.

If they expect preorders on MONSTER HUNTER to exhaust that supply of disks, they're high.

[quote name='freshzen']Hate me all you like I wish this game was on the big boy consoles.[/QUOTE]

LOL...I really feel so bad for those guys that don't own a Wii. First they say there isn't any good games on the Wii for them to pick up; now they are crying over the web on missing out on Wii's exclusives like TvC, MH:TRI, Fragile, NMH: DS, Madworld, RedSteel2 etc. It's funny cuz those aren't even that great compared to what's coming to the Wii in the future. My tip buy a Wii it's cheap at only $199.99
=D

[quote name='freshzen']Hate me all you like I wish this game was on the big boy consoles.[/QUOTE]

You mean the consoles that have 13 year olds who constantly go into racist, profanity-laden tirades when they're losing?

I called around a few stores in south Orange County, CA and none have them yet. One stated they haven't opened their shipments from last night yet, and to check back later.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Discs are out. Gamestops just received them. Called all of them in my area and they ALL said you needed to preorder.

If they expect preorders on MONSTER HUNTER to exhaust that supply of disks, they're high.[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't have to preorder to get a demo disc... Besides, I just preordered on gamestop.com, I should be able to ask for one. I hope. :roll:

I picked up at at my store (Software Etc.) he talked about the pre-order bonus but did not require it to get the demo.

[quote name='Kezay']Can't get much more lame than that folks. More than three years in. :roll:

Anyway, I'll be calling around to see if any stores have the demo out early. I have the game preordered but I really can't wait to play this one.[/QUOTE]
Well the Wii still has a very short supply of games worth buying that are all still 50 dollars (Yes i'm looking at you Zelda:TP, Mario Galaxy, and Super Paper Mario). More than three years in. :roll: To be fair, it's really just nintendo that charges an arm and a leg for games that are old enough to have dropped in price but since most people who play the Wii have no idea that these games have been out for so long or care, they also don't have any idea how much of a bad deal they are getting. I was disappointed with the DS at first too since the first year really sucked, but then they all of a sudden just began releasing games worth buying and the DS became great.

I got my Monster Hunter Demo today, had the game reserved for awhile, just walked in and mentioned it and the awesome employee Matt gladly gave me one. +1 for Gamestop!

[quote name='RollingSkull']Discs are out. Gamestops just received them. Called all of them in my area and they ALL said you needed to preorder.

If they expect preorders on MONSTER HUNTER to exhaust that supply of disks, they're high.[/QUOTE]

My GS also told me that I had to pre-order. I figure that I'll just get my $5 later, if the game isn't that great.

Managed to pick up a copy of the demo tonight too.

Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I'm a little confused about how the instructions that come with it are all about motion controls, with no mention of a classic controller option . . . I thought this game was pretty much built for the classic controller pro (and that that was the reason why they're making the bundle)? I honestly didn't even expect it to have motion controls at all, given that it's not really possible to use a classic controller and motion at the same time.

[quote name='Newman6818']The classic controller pro isn't out yet. It releases on the same day as monster hunter tri, so they assume no one in America has a pro.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had assumed that they'd 1) assume that people do have a (non-pro) classic controller and dumb the demo down however necessary for that, and/or 2) remap the controls to the buttons on the wiimote/nunchuck. I didn't expect to see actual pretend-your-wiimote-is-a-weapon-but-not-really motion controls.

I put in the demo for just a few minutes last night. At the start up screen it asks you how you are going to play, with the wiimote/ nunchuck or with a classic controller. The classic controller has two choices, one is to attack with a button, the other is with the analog stick. I didn't have a classic controller handy, so I tried the wiimote just for the heck of it. I turned it off after a couple minutes. I'll try again later with a classic.

[quote name='ninjabenja']I put in the demo for just a few minutes last night. At the start up screen it asks you how you are going to play, with the wiimote/ nunchuck or with a classic controller. The classic controller has two choices, one is to attack with a button, the other is with the analog stick. I didn't have a classic controller handy, so I tried the wiimote just for the heck of it. I turned it off after a couple minutes. I'll try again later with a classic.[/QUOTE]

I assume that the wiimote is not the way to go, especially for someone that's never played before? I tried it for about ten minutes and was ready to put my wiimote through the tv. It's not good when the demo actually makes me NOT want to buy a game :)

I have a very simple question....

I reserved MH 3 Bundle at gamestop, but it only says Monster Hunter Tri on the receipt. Do I need to go back and try to explain it to them or do all those that have pre-ordered the bundle say the same on there receipts ?

I would definitely make sure the guy reserved a copy of the bundle and not the standalone game for you (or vice-versa if that's what you wanted).

[quote name='Pumaman']I assume that the wiimote is not the way to go, especially for someone that's never played before? I tried it for about ten minutes and was ready to put my wiimote through the tv. It's not good when the demo actually makes me NOT want to buy a game :)[/QUOTE]

You definitely got that right, the wiimote isn't recommended for this game. I think they threw in the wiimote controls just to try to appeal to a bigger target audience.

[quote name='The Shaman']I have a very simple question....

I reserved MH 3 Bundle at gamestop, but it only says Monster Hunter Tri on the receipt. Do I need to go back and try to explain it to them or do all those that have pre-ordered the bundle say the same on there receipts ?[/QUOTE]

You also definitely want to go back and make sure they got the right version reserved for you. I've had GS mess up on this more than a couple times.

I had the same issue with the reps telling me that the demo disks are only available with a preorder. They even told me that the display box, which holds the disks, states that you must preorder to get the disk.

The only thing I saw on the display was a message that you'll save $5.00 off the price of the game if you preorder.

Looks like they're just trying to force a preorder any which way they can.

I went ahead and preordered it, since I had some store credit. My receipt gave me a customer survey option and I'll see if I can list some remarks about the forced preorder to get a free demo.

[quote name='rbarba4']I had the same issue with the reps telling me that the demo disks are only available with a preorder. They even told me that the display box, which holds the disks, states that you must preorder to get the disk.

The only thing I saw on the display was a message that you'll save $5.00 off the price of the game if you preorder.

Looks like they're just trying to force a preorder any which way they can.

I went ahead and preordered it, since I had some store credit. My receipt gave me a customer survey option and I'll see if I can list some remarks about the forced preorder to get a free demo.[/QUOTE]

Just tell them to look at the disk case, it tells you to preorder on it. Why would a demo be advertising to preorder the game if you have to preorder the game to get said demo?

I picked up the demo yesterday and even though I had preordered a few days before they didn't even ask if I had. If was up on the counter in a display and they said sure take one they are free. Sad some store managers are trying to force people to preorder. The demo should be the thing that makes you want to preorder. What is even the point of a demo if you are buying the game anyway.

I got into Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and played the snot out of it, just bought a used Wii to play and don't have a classic controller. Let me tell you, even as a somewhat experienced player of the series, the Wiimote controls ARE maddening. I got used to it now and can do pretty much what I want, but I can't imagine what frustration newcomers must be having.

[quote name='poet17eric']I got into Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and played the snot out of it, just bought a used Wii to play and don't have a classic controller. Let me tell you, even as a somewhat experienced player of the series, the Wiimote controls ARE maddening. I got used to it now and can do pretty much what I want, but I can't imagine what frustration newcomers must be having.[/QUOTE]

Since PC gaming is my primary choice, I can tell you the wiimote scheme is beyond maddening. I want to take my wii and my TV and just beat the heck out of it for the camera control issues. I ordered the bundle though so i hope the classic controller will save me additional grief.

Had no trouble picking up the demo disc today. Visited GameStop to get Jirachi, and while there, located the Monster Hunter Tri demo discs behind the counter. Simply asked for one, and the rep gave me one.

Looking forward to trying it.

Hmm... I keep catching my boy watching the trailer over, and over, and over on the Wii Nintendo Channel. I think I'll try and score a copy of the demo today, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pre-order it in order to get a drink coaster.

no luck on a free demo disc.. when i asked if i could have one, the guy working got this puzzled look on his face, first sign that i should of just walked out. he reads the sign attached about the $5 off for preordering and getting 500 wii points and came to the conclusion that i needed to preorder first. so i shoved the demo back into the giant pile of discs. i dont think anyone has gotten one from that GS store.

Was at the GS at Parham and Brook in Richmond, and they had a box of about 100 on the checkout counter. The box is labeled with Monster Hunter artwork and said something about try the demo and then do a pre-order (not pre-order to get a demo).

The discs are packed in a typical square cardboard sleeve and shrinkwrapped, with the cover art of the final release and a large Wii logo like on the boxes along the top.

I didn't even ask for them, they had a bunch of people in line, and I did a reach around to acquire a disc and left the store.

The game looks really nice. Its obviously an early build, with lots of "clipping" though I would imagine the collision detection on these monsters would result in that anyhow.

Went to Gamestop today and asked if I could take one of the demo discs that they they had out on the counter but the guy I was talking to said I had to pre-order it. Ugh.

[quote name='donssword']The game looks really nice. Its obviously an early build, with lots of "clipping" though I would imagine the collision detection on these monsters would result in that anyhow.[/QUOTE]
MH and polish aren't exactly words that traditionally go together. Common causes of rage amongst good natured MH threads are how bullcrap several of the hitboxes are.

That said, the demo was good fun.

After a few hours play, I would say it is definitely too hard for the younger set. My boy tried all the weapons except the great sword and got pummeled--probably a combination of him using no strategy combined with a lack of co-op.

[quote name='donssword']After a few hours play, I would say it is definitely too hard for the younger set. My boy tried all the weapons except the great sword and got pummeled--probably a combination of him using no strategy combined with a lack of co-op.[/QUOTE]
He has to be aware of the fact that MH expects him to slug it out with these boss monsters for probably 20-30 minutes. If he plays it like a marathon rather than a sprint, with breaks to heal, he could manage it.

Shame the game barely tells you anything about that, though.

[quote name='donssword']After a few hours play, I would say it is definitely too hard for the younger set. My boy tried all the weapons except the great sword and got pummeled--probably a combination of him using no strategy combined with a lack of co-op.[/QUOTE]

If you've never played MH games before, it most likely will be difficult for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RollingSkull']MH and polish aren't exactly words that traditionally go together. Common causes of rage amongst good natured MH threads are how bullcrap several of the hitboxes are.

That said, the demo was good fun.[/QUOTE]

The hitboxes are fixed from what I've played of the japanese version.

2 GameStops near me are letting you get the demo disk for free (i.e. the right way) and the other 5 are requiring a preorder to get the disk (i.e. the wrong way). :/

I had some Gamestop idiot try and tell me you had to preorder and I explained that that was not how Capcom viewed it and he handed it over. Stupidest thing I ever heard: a demo only for people who are BUYING the game?? Makes zero sense, those people are already commited.

My gamestop was awesome, they had the discs right on the counter for stealing. While the guy was getting my points card I grabbed a disc. If I had the money to preorder I would because MH on my tv looks great.

I ordered a copy from the Monster Hunter community website and I hope it arrives soon.

The previous posts above me totally remind me why I don't like doing business with Gamestop. Trying to basically force people to spend money for a free demo? Lame. In the future, I hope Capcom takes note of this and doesn't make the free trial exclusive to GS.

bread's done
Back