Monster Hunter Tri

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Are all bosses stronger online than off?[/QUOTE]
Yes

I kept dying when I was trying to blow the health horn for you all, but you're all big boys and girls with health pots of your own and I don't think I want to get ran over anymore :rofl:

Wish that other guy would stop knocking me over with his spirit combo :lol: He made up for it by passing out every game though. I don't think I'll be using the bowgun against Barroth anymore too at least one without a shield. I did have fun putting it to sleep though, too bad it went straight after me after it woke up.

Also Janet was that your first time getting launched into the air by a hammer? You sounded surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:
....Yeah. I don't even want to know how much time they've spent on MH3 Myv... I really don't. I bet it's some Chinese farming company that has that character on for 24/7 and they take turns playing it... and for what purpose? To be the first to reach HR999 in the USA, lol.

Do high rank people just join your room? I've only seen up to HR 53 and she was pretty nice doing little quests with us :lol:

It was great playing with you Phil and D.
That Squanto guy was already on my friends list. He helped me with my 2 star urgent the other day. That's why I was trying to help him when he wanted to fight Lagiacrus.
[quote name='Mad D']
Also Janet was that your first time getting launched into the air by a hammer? You sounded surprised.[/QUOTE]
Well I've been knocked to the side but never that high into the air :lol: I had the perfect camera angle too.
--

After you guys left we stayed playing till 4AM! We kept trying to get a Lagi horn for this one guy, and I was just happy to get the points and money. After countless tries he still never got it! How rare are they? Seemed like everyone else was getting about 1 per quest.
At least there was this awesome moment where we chopped off Lagi's tail and that shot him strait into the air and into a pitfall trap :lol:

Later in the night we went a little crazy fighting Rathalos, Uragaan and Barioth back to back. Terrifying, but it actually went by very fast with all 4 people helping. I'm completely drained of all my supplies now. I'm going to have to restock offline just to be able to play with you guys today :oops:

Yeah, I had fun, too. Wish I had a keyboard though that was compatible with the Wii.
It'd make things so much simpler since I guess Wii Speak doesn't work.

Anybody want to play right now or later on tonight?
I need to capture a Rathian and Gobul as well as do some menial bug killing and egg retrieving.

I might be on later tonight (~midnight EST), otherwise tomorrow. But I'm still HR8, so I won't be much help for the quests you're planning on!

[quote name='botticus']I might be on later tonight (~midnight EST), otherwise tomorrow. But I'm still HR8, so I won't be much help for the quests you're planning on![/QUOTE]

I can help you grind if you'd like. Take down that bird or something!

[quote name='SuperPhillip']I can help you grind if you'd like. Take down that bird or something![/QUOTE]
Oh, I've been capped for a long while. Just haven't had any opportunity to get rid of Barroth yet.

The first time I faced Gobul, I went in with the hammer. I fainted twice and time ran out.

This second time I faced Gobul, I went in with the great sword. Beat him without even fainting in about twenty minutes.

Now I'm doing the solo four star quests including facing the Great Baggi.

Thanks for playing last night, Mad D. Took out an obscene number of monsters over the course of the night/morning. Did you know the other guy we were hunting with? He was invisible so I couldn't register him.

I finally got a second flintstone during an earlier 4 Jaggi/Qurupeco hunt, so I can make a worthwhile fire SnS for Lagi.

My boyfriend ended up finding one of the Monster Hunter Tri bundles at one of the Gamestops in the mall. I originally had it pre-ordered, but then I cancelled it since I was losing interest. But now I'm kind of wanting it again, and since he bought the bundle I'm debating keeping it.

I like the co-op factor in it, but both my boyfriend and I are Monster Hunters noobs. Would you guys that have MH3 still reccommend it to a new player?

I believe most people in this thread were Monster Hunter noobs as well. You'll learn the game within a couple of hours. It's a pretty fun game, but also challenging and can be quite unforgiving.

Unforgiving as in if you get hit, the monster might come and do a charge at you when you are getting up from his last attack. It can get annoying sometimes.

I would. For being a newb/noob, I look at is as, we all gotta start somewhere. Myself, I started on the PSP, but never really took the games all that serious yet.

And if only I had my own internet connection at my house I'd try working on this more, but because the new ISP apparently is lacking in the customer service department (or is it UPS?), my new router still isn't here, a week after they claim. Oh well, one of these days I'll try getting online. One of these days. At least I have SMG2 to keep me company. :razz:

If anyone's interested in taking a few cracks at Qurupeco (need another flintstone), I'm in Recruiting, Wisdom 1, Gate 40, City 2. After I get that, I'm only HR13, so anything 1-2* is fair game.

Can finally play this game after my friend returned my Wii. Anyone up to play sometime? I've added my details on the Google spreadsheet. I've only played about a hour or two, so don't team up with me if you're a pro. You'll surely get frustrated with my n00bdom. ;P

The new event quest hunting 4 Great Jaggis is pretty fun. You always run into a Qurupeco so it's 4 Great Jaggis + Quru.

According to Capcom event info, reward is a False Jaggi. Anyone know what that is?

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Would anyone be interested in doing some two star quests today?

Or taking down Qurupeco a few times?[/QUOTE]
Sorry we weren't able to join up last night. I felt bad bailing on the group that was farming Qurupeco since I started the room so there was never any opening. I'm hoping to have time to do the Lagi 4* urgent offline tonight, and if there's any time left afterward I'll probably get online.

The only problem with playing MH online is if you only have an hour or so to play, you either do a quest that you want/need to do and then look like a dick bailing out after, or you do a quest that you don't want/need to do and that's it.

[quote name='bkforyou']The new event quest hunting 4 Great Jaggis is pretty fun. You always run into a Qurupeco so it's 4 Great Jaggis + Quru.

According to Capcom event info, reward is a False Jaggi. Anyone know what that is?[/QUOTE]
This high-rank hunter joined our room last night to hunt Qurupeco (though he was HR46, so I'm thinking he was looking for the high-rank Quru) and was confused why we were doing the Jaggi quest. We told him one always shows up. I've probably run that quest a dozen times, and that was the first time I've not encountered one. Whoops.

Here's the eventual reward: http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Misc_Armors#Jaggi_Mask

So, I'm going to assume Capcom will do repeat event quests that offer special event items every few weeks or so, since in case people miss out an event, they don't want them to feel left out. (Like me for most of the new event items that have come out.)

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Would anyone be interested in doing some two star quests today?

Or taking down Qurupeco a few times?[/QUOTE]

I'll be down to run some quests with you. I have my info updated on the google spreadsheet. add me when you can.

I'm up for questing for the next 45 minutes or so, not sure how much can be accomplished.

Put up a room in Recruiting, Wisdom 1, Gate 40, City 3? for Baggi, figure I can grab a few of his mats. And we can try a Rathian or Gigginox time permitting.

Turns out I had a functioning keyboard in the basement all this time.
No more d-pad keyboard for me!

I just woke up from my nap (sounds weird saying that haha), so tell me when you're ready to roll, gang.

I'll just wait till then. No need to rush things when the two of us finally play together!
Just PM me or post here when you're ready later on tonight. Thanks, botticus!

Just missed you guys, I think I need to call it a relatively early night. Didn't get to HR18 yet, but I beat the Lagi urgent (along with some Barroth, Rathian, and two-minute Baggi hunts) with a couple of great hunters so I assume my 3* quests will open up once I get the last few points.

[quote name='Frankski']Hopping online as well.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I'll add ya.

And alright, hope we play sometime Botticus.

EDIT: Urg. I HATE Nintendo's online service so much. I can't message people while they're questing. What a pain...

[quote name='amari']Ok, I'll add ya.

And alright, hope we play sometime Botticus.

EDIT: Urg. I HATE Nintendo's online service so much. I can't message people while they're questing. What a pain...[/QUOTE]

That's of fault of Capcom. Not Nintendo.

Congrats. I have a usb keyboard too but I'm too lazy to use it. >_> If you're going to play I'll wait for you, but I don't have any other people available online.

Edit: GAH! I've been trying to join a room for a good half hour now! If the rooms are full of idlers, quitters, or people waiting for someone else, it's the slow and messed up connections. >_< I got to take a break for the night. Hope you guys have fun.

[quote name='twanky']finally hit High Rank level 31! its 4:30am too much monsterhunter....sleep now.[/QUOTE]

Gratz! welcome to high rank :D

Looks like Jhen+ is back now, be ready to farm it a bit to get your high rank Jhen+ mats for Rank7 armor/weaponsbefore the event ends :) Also remember to buy thunderbugs from the kid online! It's only 350z ea, stock up!

Sandstorm's back? At least the quests past 1* are a little freer with reward money, so I can probably afford to blow a bit of cash as I won't get the mats to need it for weapon upgrades anytime soon.

I don't have quite the need for thunderbugs that everyone else seems to (gotten plenty from gathering so far), but I'll grab a few odds and ends on sale.

I do a lot more captures than killing for more rewards and higher chance of gems/ruby in high rank, so I stocked up about 600 haha. It's also good to stock up on then mega pickaxe and bug nets, he's right across the jar combiner.

Oh here is a tip as well, if you want lots of resources offline, just go online to the kid and buy a bunch of Popfish and just turn them into resources. You pretty much don't have to farm for resources offline anymore with this trick.

Just hit HR30

Either tonight or tomorrow will try to get my Urgent done with.

I'm starting to pick up on Bowgunner -- I really like the versatility of it. Any pro got any tips?

I play as a gunner and while not a pro, I think I can say definitely be prepared to drop alot of cash and resources. Versatility comes at a price as you'll need ammo and parts depending on the situation. Thankfully, normal lv1 ammo is infinite, but you're going to need the heavier firepower to take down bigger foes, especially when solo hunting. Since ammo is in a inventory page by itself, think about bringing along combo books and materials to combine extra bullets as well as putting combos for bullets into the quick combine menu. Having that extra para or crag shot will come in handy.

For attacking, don't bother trying to long-distance snipe unless you're trying to get some extra damage in on a fleeing monster. Rule of thumb is to stay about a dodge roll or two away from monsters for your normal and pierce shots. Notable exceptions are crag and clust shots, which do most of their damage on the explosion, and wyvern fire, which is better at point blank.

I personally shoot from the hip most of the time, but getting used to bringing up the crosshairs when you need them (hold for run 'n' gun, tap for stationary first person) is a great skill to learn. For defense, learn to see monster tells and dodge accordingly since as a gunner, you have much lower defense than the melee class and thus take alot more damage when you do get hit.

Finally, experiment with the gun setups. Light gunners are faster on the draw, but heavy gunners deal damage and usually have more ammo options. Work around with the configurations and see what works best for you.

[quote name='Myv']Gratz! welcome to high rank :D

Looks like Jhen+ is back now, be ready to farm it a bit to get your high rank Jhen+ mats for Rank7 armor/weaponsbefore the event ends :) Also remember to buy thunderbugs from the kid online! It's only 350z ea, stock up![/QUOTE]

Well this sucks i just spent a bunch of money on the low rank jhen armor....any difference in the jhen+ quest?

[quote name='twanky']Well this sucks i just spent a bunch of money on the low rank jhen armor....any difference in the jhen+ quest?[/QUOTE]

Yep, you go into
final showdown where you can kill him instead of just repelling. Your group needs to work together to do this though, not mining his back and what not. My runs usually are pretty good, was doing it with 2 other GS and a lancer (she just purely cannon+ballista), me using Deviljho's GS with the other 2 using Alatreon's GS, we just went to town whenever we had the chance to. We'd break both the scales on first jump, which is pretty fast I think. Before entering final showdown we'd have his left arm all broken up, then we'd run over to break the right one. Then you just purely ballista + cannon him and you should kill him in the last 5-10minutes. Make sure to push (+) on your CCP, so you can skip the death scene and quickly run to carve him because you can carve his body 4 times and his mouth 4 times, if you don't run over immediately after he dies you won't get off all 8 carves.

Gems and elderdragonblood comes more often in Jhen+ as well, also like Helios+ armors requires Jhen+ materials which is what I needed to craft the chest for the GS set with (focus, sharp+1, crit draw).

Ohh right, I totally forgot the hr30 urgent, so yea its the same thing except you can only get Jhen+ materials from the event. Might as well farm him enough to get your stuff to upgrade Guang Dao, Helios+, Damascus, Jhen Armor+, etc.

There are like 5 or 6 Event Quests out right now, including the 2 Jhen quests. I'm going to have to jump on the high rank Jhen quest.

[quote name='Myv']I do a lot more captures than killing for more rewards and higher chance of gems/ruby in high rank, so I stocked up about 600 haha. It's also good to stock up on then mega pickaxe and bug nets, he's right across the jar combiner.

Oh here is a tip as well, if you want lots of resources offline, just go online to the kid and buy a bunch of Popfish and just turn them into resources. You pretty much don't have to farm for resources offline anymore with this trick.[/QUOTE]

what does popfish do?

bread's done
Back