Most Over Rated Game of All Time

[quote name='Scrubking']Halo and Halo 2 are by far the most overrated games of all time. It is just another multiplayer FPS in the sea of FPS's - and on a console no less.

The second is the MGS series. Part 3 wasn't even a game it was a shaq-fuing cgi movie with 2 or 3 minutes of gameplay thrown in every so often. Nuff said.

And I want to say something about all the GTA haters. Do you realize that GTA is the only game on a console that is pioneering open-ended gameplay? No other game does that so that automatically makes this series unique and underrated. If GTA died open-ended gameplay wouldn't exist, but a lot of gamers are too dumb to see that.[/quote]

pretty clear to me that you did not even play MGS3. There are almost no cinematics until the end once you start operation Snake Eater.

also I do think GTA 3 was way overrated. Basically the first two games in a different perspective. I will say I did enjoy Vice City a lot though and that game was well worth what it cost me (10 bucks)

halo 2...even though its my most played game (on live) right now...it is the most overrated game ever...halo 2 was not 3 years worth of work...however its still good..just WAY too much hype, which it mostly lived up to but not all of it...which makes it overrated :p

Hmmm...good one.

It starts as a toss up between Halo 2 and DooM 3 for me. However, I have to give the final nod to DooM 3 as I saw a LOT more used copies of DooM 3 for sale at game stores (within a short time after the release) than I saw of Halo 2 within the same timeframe.

In either case, I think both games fell short in the gameplay dept compared to what the hype lead people to believe it was supposed/going to be like. Good/great graphics do not = gameplay.

Anywho, Honorable Mention goes to Half-Life 1 for me. The game was a juggernaught of hype for it's time. However, many of the things done in Half-Life were done in SiN first. Unfortunately, Activision pushed the title to store shelves too fast which left it a buggy release. Negative reviews hurt the title which was a GREAT game. Many titles since have "borrowed" elements that were first in SiN (which Half-Life often incorrectly gets credit for having first). :{

[quote name='Scrubking']And I want to say something about all the GTA haters. Do you realize that GTA is the only game on a console that is pioneering open-ended gameplay? No other game does that so that automatically makes this series unique and underrated. If GTA died open-ended gameplay wouldn't exist, but a lot of gamers are too dumb to see that.[/quote]

Thinking a game is overrated and hating it are two completely different concepts.

Also, if you honestly believe nobody else would've ever thought of "open-ended gameplay" if the creators of GTA didn't implement it in their games, you're full of shit.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Also, if you honestly believe nobody else would've ever thought of "open-ended gameplay" if the creators of GTA didn't implement it in their games, you're full of shit.[/quote]

:applause:

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='Scrubking']And I want to say something about all the GTA haters. Do you realize that GTA is the only game on a console that is pioneering open-ended gameplay? No other game does that so that automatically makes this series unique and underrated. If GTA died open-ended gameplay wouldn't exist, but a lot of gamers are too dumb to see that.[/quote]

Thinking a game is overrated and hating it are two completely different concepts.

Also, if you honestly believe nobody else would've ever thought of "open-ended gameplay" if the creators of GTA didn't implement it in their games, you're full of shit.[/quote]

Stop being a stupid ass fanboy.

Fact. GTA is the only game on the console market with full open-ended gameplay, or the most open-ended gamplay that is not an online rpg.

Fact. Open-ended gameplay has been labeled by the Industry as not "market friendly" so developers stay away.

Fact. GTA didn't invent open-ended gameplay but it is the only major game out right now that uses it and promotes it. Why? look at fact #2

Fact. If it wasn't for GTA bringing open-ended gameplay into the mainstream, open-ended gameplay would be a long forgotten word.

And for the last part of your quote:
"Also, if you honestly believe nobody else would've ever thought of "open-ended gameplay" if the creators of GTA didn't implement it in their games, you're full of shit."

I would like to know where you pulled that out of? Oh, your ass cause I never said that. I don't care who implements open-ended gamplay. I'm am just happy that it is still alive. Your fanboy attitude and hatred of GTA shouldn't let you invent shit to accuse people of.

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='Scrubking']And I want to say something about all the GTA haters. Do you realize that GTA is the only game on a console that is pioneering open-ended gameplay? No other game does that so that automatically makes this series unique and underrated. If GTA died open-ended gameplay wouldn't exist, but a lot of gamers are too dumb to see that.[/quote]

Also, if you honestly believe nobody else would've ever thought of "open-ended gameplay" if the creators of GTA didn't implement it in their games, you're full of shit.[/quote]

Fact. GTA is the only game on the console market with full open-ended gameplay, or the most open-ended gamplay that is not an online rpg.

Fact. Open-ended gameplay has been labeled by the Industry as not "market friendly" so developers stay away.

Fact. GTA didn't invent open-ended gameplay but it is the only major game out right now that uses it and promotes it. Why? look at fact #2

Fact. If it wasn't for GTA bringing open-ended gameplay into the mainstream, open-ended gameplay would be a long forgotten word.

"Also, if you honestly believe nobody else would've ever thought of "open-ended gameplay" if the creators of GTA didn't implement it in their games, you're full of shit."

I would like to know where you pulled that out of? Oh, your ass cause I never said that. I don't care who implements open-ended gamplay. I'm am just happy that it is still alive. Your fanboy attitude and hatred of GTA shouldn't let you invent shit to accuse people of.[/quote]

Stop calling everyone who disagrees with you a fanboy. Just because someone may not like a game that you like does not mean they are automatically a fanboy. And if you want to talk about open ended gameplay, what about MMORPG's? There are others doing it and will continue to be others who do it.

[quote name='Scrubking']If GTA died open-ended gameplay wouldn't exist, but a lot of gamers are too dumb to see that.[/quote]

[quote name='Scrubking']I would like to know where you pulled that out of? Oh, your ass cause I never said that. I don't care who implements open-ended gamplay. I'm am just happy that it is still alive. Your fanboy attitude and hatred of GTA shouldn't let you invent shit to accuse people of.[/quote]

The fact that he attacked me and flamed me for something I didn't say should be proof enough of his fanboy hatred of GTA.

And you seemed to completely miss my point seeing how I mentioned rpgs. I'm not surprised.

[quote name='Scrubking']The fact that he attacked me and flamed me for something I didn't say should be proof enough of his fanboy hatred of GTA.

And you seemed to completely miss my point seeing how I mentioned rpgs. I'm not surprised.[/quote]

Did you even read my post? You did say it. You call him a fanboy? Look at you. You have a GTA avatar, sig, and almost every post I've seen of yours since San Andreas was released has you mentioning it in one way or another.

[quote name='punqsux']final fantasy 7
/nintendo fanboys

halo
/playstation fanboys

gta
/xbox fanboys[/quote]

Hey punq... What if we named all of the above? Does that mean I'm an Amiga fanboy? O:)

[quote name='Scrubking']seemed to completely miss my point seeing how I mentioned rpgs. I'm not surprised.[/quote]

No I saw that you mentioned rpg's, but you just wanted to skip that point and proclaim GTA to be the inventor and sole producer of open ended gameplay. Sorry but if anyone is acting like a fanboy, its you.

I think it is really hard to make a claim as to 'overrated game' as everyone has their own taste. And besides is there a formula somewhere that I missed that one plugs in 1. The level of hype/advertisments 2. Hours played 3. cost. 4 level of enjoyment of the hours played = level of 'overrated/underrated/rated just right?

The polls that ask what is the most underrater..overrated.. etc reminds me of goldilocks and the three bears. Well Goldilocks thought one bed was too hard, one was too soft, and one was just right. Well you know that bed that Ms. Locks thought was too hard-- papa bear liked, that porridge that she thought too cold, well Mama bear liked. That game that MrX loves, well MrZ hates, that game that MrZ loves Mrxhates. But again perhaps I am simply a newbie and have not found that aforementioned formula.

Why has it become so chic to hate the popular games like Halo 2 and GTA SA? I mean seriously do people think they're gonna be cooler if they don't like a game? As far as Halo 2 being overrated? Yeah sure the single player is nothing special but where the game really shines is online. The sheer number of people playing this game on Live lead me to believe that not everybody could hate it. As far as GTA I don't feel as if any of the hype said that this game would be revolutionary. Looking at GTA 3 versus San Andreas, the game has made a LOT of improvements: graphically, storyline, gameplay, options, etc.

Whenever I see these overrated/overhypped threads (which seems to be every other week) the first thing I think is that its some person wanting to voice their opinion about not liking a popular/high selling game. Usually I'm right.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Why has it become so chic to hate the popular games like Halo 2 and GTA SA? I mean seriously do people think they're gonna be cooler if they don't like a game? As far as Halo 2 being overrated? Yeah sure the single player is nothing special but where the game really shines is online. The sheer number of people playing this game on Live lead me to believe that not everybody could hate it. As far as GTA I don't feel as if any of the hype said that this game would be revolutionary. Looking at GTA 3 versus San Andreas, the game has made a LOT of improvements: graphically, storyline, gameplay, options, etc.

Whenever I see these overrated/overhypped threads (which seems to be every other week) the first thing I think is that its some person wanting to voice their opinion about not liking a popular/high selling game. Usually I'm right.[/quote]

Word

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='Scrubking']And I want to say something about all the GTA haters. Do you realize that GTA is the only game on a console that is pioneering open-ended gameplay? No other game does that so that automatically makes this series unique and underrated. If GTA died open-ended gameplay wouldn't exist, but a lot of gamers are too dumb to see that.[/quote]

I would like to know where you pulled that out of? Oh, your ass cause I never said that. I don't care who implements open-ended gamplay. I'm am just happy that it is still alive. Your fanboy attitude and hatred of GTA shouldn't let you invent shit to accuse people of.[/quote]

Stupid ass fanboy? You are the fucking LAST person on this site who needs to be calling ANYONE a fanboy. Do I need to dig up every GTA-praising topic you've ever made?

As for your other point, I QUOTED you, that's where I pulled it out of. You specifically said, "If GTA died open-ended gameplay wouldn't exist..." That's a bunch of balogna, and you know it.

As for the rest, I didn't attack or flame you. At worst, I said if you honestly believed what you said you were full of shit, which is my opinion. I didn't call you any names, fanboy or otherwise, but if that's the tone you want to take in reply to me, so be it. You're only making yourself look foolish.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='Scrubking']And I want to say something about all the GTA haters. Do you realize that GTA is the only game on a console that is pioneering open-ended gameplay? No other game does that so that automatically makes this series unique and underrated. If GTA died open-ended gameplay wouldn't exist, but a lot of gamers are too dumb to see that.[/quote]

Stupid ass fanboy? You are the shaq-fuing LAST person on this site who needs to be calling ANYONE a fanboy. Do I need to dig up every GTA-praising topic you've ever made?

As for your other point, I QUOTED you, that's where I pulled it out of. You specifically said, "If GTA died open-ended gameplay wouldn't exist..." That's a bunch of balogna, and you know it.

As for the rest, I didn't attack or flame you. At worst, I said if you honestly believed what you said you were full of shit, which is my opinion. I didn't call you any names, fanboy or otherwise, but if that's the tone you want to take in reply to me, so be it. You're only making yourself look foolish.[/quote]

The fact is I said something about GTA and you said I "was full of shit". But you're right. It's all my fault for responding completely unprovoked. :roll:

[quote name='Scrubking']But you're right. It's all my fault for responding completely unprovoked. :roll:[/quote]

Thank you for admitting that. Asshole.

Oopsy. Now THAT's provocation.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='Scrubking']But you're right. It's all my fault for responding completely unprovoked. :roll:[/quote]

Oopsy. Now THAT's provocation.[/quote]

You're right you fucking piece of shit.

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='Scrubking']But you're right. It's all my fault for responding completely unprovoked. :roll:[/quote]

Oopsy. Now THAT's provocation.[/quote]

You're right you shaq-fuing piece of shit.[/quote]

LOLarbears!

We all need to listen to some Black Eyed Peas. cause I keeping asking myself "Where is the love? where is the love? where is the love? where is the love the love the love?

Most overrated game ever Metroid Prime. The GBA Fusion was awesome but I just couldn't get into this game. I also think that Virtua Fighter 4 was WAY overrated.

banky and scrubking, if you have to flame each other, could you take it to PMs?

EDIT:
banky, is there a LOLerbears pic? ive heard it used but havent seen a pic =o\

[quote name='punqsux']banky and scrubking, if you have to flame each other, could you take it to PMs?

EDIT:
banky, is there a LOLerbears pic? ive heard it used but havent seen a pic =o\[/quote]

No, but I should probably make one...that'd be great!

[quote name='RedvsBlue']
Whenever I see these overrated/overhypped threads (which seems to be every other week) the first thing I think is that its some person wanting to voice their opinion about not liking a popular/high selling game. Usually I'm right.[/quote]

That's because they don't deserve to be a popular/high selling game.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Why has it become so chic to hate the popular games like Halo 2 and GTA SA? I mean seriously do people think they're gonna be cooler if they don't like a game? As far as Halo 2 being overrated? Yeah sure the single player is nothing special but where the game really shines is online. The sheer number of people playing this game on Live lead me to believe that not everybody could hate it. As far as GTA I don't feel as if any of the hype said that this game would be revolutionary. Looking at GTA 3 versus San Andreas, the game has made a LOT of improvements: graphically, storyline, gameplay, options, etc.

i dont know about the others...but i personally LIKE halo 2...its just that it was overrated that's all...it didnt live up to the hype, but was still a good game anyway...it just had TOO MUCH hype...and couldnt deliver ---> overrated

swetooth9 - So because you listen to people hype the game up before you played it its overated? I mean jeez, you like the game, its not the games fault it got hyped why call it overrated? I don't get your reasoning at all.

[quote name='zewone']swetooth9 - So because you listen to people hype the game up before you played it its overated? I mean jeez, you like the game, its not the games fault it got hyped why call it overrated? I don't get your reasoning at all.[/quote]

i mean...ppl were priasing it like it was the 2nd coming of Jesus or something....however it wasn't THAT good...but it is still a great game, i just think it didn't live up to what i thought it would be...

[quote name='Mr.Answer']what the heck is you sig about opportunity?[/quote]

Trust me, you don't want to know.

[quote name='safer_sephiroth'][quote name='RedvsBlue']

That's because they don't deserve to be a popular/high selling game.[/quote]

So if you don't like it then no one else deserves to like it either? Hey can I get Mercenaries this week or is it not going to meet your standards?

[quote name='zewone']swetooth9 - So because you listen to people hype the game up before you played it its overated? I mean jeez, you like the game, its not the games fault it got hyped why call it overrated? I don't get your reasoning at all.[/quote]

We are talking about games that are overated not overhyped. Halo 2 recieved perfect/near perfect scores from many magazines, despite what I would call a good but not great single player campaign. Therefore I would call that overated, has nothing to do with hype (although that influenced the inflated scores), but if we are talking overated in many people's opinion it fits that category.

[quote name='msdmoney'][quote name='zewone']swetooth9 - So because you listen to people hype the game up before you played it its overated? I mean jeez, you like the game, its not the games fault it got hyped why call it overrated? I don't get your reasoning at all.[/quote]

We are talking about games that are overated not overhyped. Halo 2 recieved perfect/near perfect scores from many magazines, despite what I would call a good but not great single player campaign. Therefore I would call that overated, has nothing to do with hype (although that influenced the inflated scores), but if we are talking overated in many people's opinion it fits that category.[/quote]

yea, sorry about that zewone, msdmoney :oops: i kind of get those two mixed up...but yea, they fit both bills...

[quote name='msdmoney'][quote name='zewone']swetooth9 - So because you listen to people hype the game up before you played it its overated? I mean jeez, you like the game, its not the games fault it got hyped why call it overrated? I don't get your reasoning at all.[/quote]

We are talking about games that are overated not overhyped. Halo 2 recieved perfect/near perfect scores from many magazines, despite what I would call a good but not great single player campaign. Therefore I would call that overated, has nothing to do with hype (although that influenced the inflated scores), but if we are talking overated in many people's opinion it fits that category.[/quote]

Most people bought Halo 2 for the multiplayer. That needs to be included if you are going to decide if you think the game is overrated. Think about it this way, a game like Final Fantasy only has a single player, so that needs to be great. A game like Halo has both, so it needs to be analyzed on all of its game play, not just single player. If you still think its overrated, that is your choice, but the entire game needs to be considered, not jsut one aspect (single player).

Well this probably should have been locked early on since it is a great thread to incite fanboys and great flames but I guess I'll throw my hat in the flames. I've said it before and I'll say it again Halo 1/2 are the most overrated games in existence. If you care for me to go into more detail just ask. I'll give you a real answer.

bread's done
Back