Most Over Rated Game of All Time

I dont think a lot of ppl understand the "over rated" concept. Its not "over hyped". Over rated means it got outstanding reviews and acclaim that it shouldnt have. Hype has to do with the expectations of the game.

Halo is definately the most over-rated game i would say.

Halo and Halo 2.....um, if you've ever played a FPS with a mouse and keyboard, you'd understand. Great games, but they are legendary just because they are on consoles.

[quote name='Matrix2k3']Final Fantasy 7, most overrated RPG ever. It's good but far from the best, cant believe it got voted best game ever on game FAQs.[/quote]

It's GameFAQs, they're all FFVII fanboys.

This isn't a great topic, considering everyones going to be stepping on each otheres toes with there opinions. For me the most over rated game, Halo. I've played better First Person Shooters on more out dated consoles. The story was good and the AI was great but I just didn't get the boner from playing it like everyone else got.

[quote name='sisco1986']This isn't a great topic, considering everyones going to be stepping on each otheres toes with there opinions. For me the most over rated game, Halo. I've played better First Person Shooters on more out dated consoles. The story was good and the AI was great but I just didn't get the boner from playing it like everyone else got.[/quote]

HUGE boner right here.

Yeah, you're right. Nothing but toe-stepping in this thread. :lol:

I can't believe how everyone thinks the story in Halo is so top notch. IMO it is generic. The game is pretty good, but the hype behind it is totally unwarranted (this comes from someone who has beaten the game close to 7 times) .

NOLF 2 blows this out of the water story wise.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='Matrix2k3']Final Fantasy 7, most overrated RPG ever. It's good but far from the best, cant believe it got voted best game ever on game FAQs.[/quote]

It's GameFAQs, they're all FFVII fanboys.[/quote]

I don't think I've ever read a thread there that didn't contain a post by somebody with "Cloud" or "Sephiroth" in their username.

i know im gona be steping on toes with this one...all of the zelda's, i havent found an ounce of fun in any of these games yet i keep forceing myself to play though them to see what everyone else sees in this series

[quote name='Mr.Answer']Everygame is beautiful...in its own way..
Everygame is wonderful each and every day[/quote]

Except for Splinter Cell

As Homer says "BO-RING!!"

"Enter the Matrix" how on earth did this turd of a game sold so many copies with it's inexcusible bugs and horrid controls. It was universally panned by critics but still the uninformed "average" gamer went out and bought a copy because it has "Matrix" in the title

[quote name='Scorch']Soul Calibur 2. If you can remember the hype. I said two weeks after the game came out, no one would be talking about it. Everyone laughed at me. I was right.[/quote] :cry:

I almost started crying it was so bad..... I was gonna buy a dreamcast again just so I could get the original..

[quote name='CrashSpyro123']ESPN NFL 2K5

Plays like crap, looks unrealistic, and definitely not a Madden-killer.[/quote]

:rofl:

Funny joke, please, tell another.

I hate these fucking topics, but if there was one game over hyped, one game so asinine, so disgusting that its very existence is pissing me off, it would have to be the entire fucking Madden series. The entire series simply defines the word "okay".

BTW it was the Madden killer. . . untill EA weant ahead and killed ESPN :(

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']That game i played with your mom last night...what was it called...oh yeah! Hide the Sausage! ;)[/quote]

You mean Hide the Salami? Nice one.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson'][quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']That game i played with your mom last night...what was it called...oh yeah! Hide the Sausage! ;)[/quote]

You mean Hide the Salami? Nice one.[/quote]

Naw. I'm happy with my sausage. it is a summer sausage. And moms everywhere are happy with it as well.

Castle Vania ALL of them
Grand Theft Auto All of them
Katamari Damacy
Metal Gear Solid ALL
Monster Rancher All
Harvest Moon ALL
Metroid All
Final Fantasy ALL
Resident Evil ALL
Devil May Cry ALL
Onimusha ALL
KOTOR ALL
Halo ALL

I own all 3 of the major consoles (xbox, ps2, gamecube), but I find Nintendo games that are based on classic characters are regularly overated. Imho, gaming mags and websites generally give them unduly high scores. Not sure of the reason for this, perhaps some feelings of old school nostalgia that reminds them of the games of their youth.

A few games I can think of off the top of my head are:

Metroid Prime: I found the game terribly boring and the control/view setup was horrendous.

Zelda-Wind Waker: The lack of violence and adult themes kept me from getting into the game. I like to see a little blood in my games, especially if I'm killing something.

Mario Sunshine: I was a fan of many Mario games back in the day but this one was just a bit too childish for my tastes.

To some the mere mention of Samus, Link, or Mario in a negative light is sacrilege. I should add that all of these Nintendo icons have had some great games in the past, but I've found the ones on the Gamecube lacking. The upcoming Zelda title looks excellent though, I must say.

[quote name='Chuckiefresh']

Zelda-Wind Waker: The lack of violence and adult themes kept me from getting into the game. I like to see a little blood in my games, especially if I'm killing something.

Mario Sunshine: I was a fan of many Mario games back in the day but this one was just a bit too childish for my tastes.

The upcoming Zelda title looks excellent though, I must say.[/QUOTE]

looks like someone judges their games by an esrb rating

GameCube games made by Nintendo ... some of them are very good, but they are still way overrated. Wind Waker is the worst Zelda game ever and that includes the CD-I versions, since everyone figured they would be bad anyways when they were released for the CD-I.

For whatever reason, I think the first I read was Game Informer, and I'm pretty sure they gave it a great review.

Also, maybe rave first impressions would have been a more accurate statement.

[quote name='punqsux']looks like someone judges their games by an esrb rating[/QUOTE]

Yup, to me at least that sounded what a GameFAQsish teenager would post. not enough blood in the game. Ugghhh A game doesn't have to be enjoyable only if it has gore and violence and streams of blood all over.

Did I say that any game without blood is terrible?

I simply said I like to see a little blood if there is killing involved. The blood makes my gaming time a more realistic and immersive experience.

Sounds to me like someone needs to stop jumping to conclusions. You're calling me a Gamefaqish teenager? If your grammar and rash judgement are any indication, then you may need to take a look in the mirror.

[quote name='hfs991hfs']http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/driver3/review.html
http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=1277
http://pc.ign.com/articles/598/598109p1.html
http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/755/DRIV3R/p1/
http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/features/47931/Driv3r_Review.html
http://www.gamerarchive.com/site/reviews/xbox/driv3r.php
http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/reviews/review.pl?sys=xbox&game=driv3r

"great reviews" Wtf??[/QUOTE]

WHen the game came out atari told comp[anies the only way they could get the game early would be if they gave the game a great review. I think when that info was released, the magazines and sites changed their reviews

I'd say Final Fantasy VII over Halo 2 just because the PS1/PS2 has a far larger installed base.

But if you do it per capita, then maybe I'd say Halo 2.

[quote name='Trakan']When you say Halo, I'm guessing you mean the series. Yes, there are alot of better PC FPSs, but that's like comparing apples to oranges. When you compare Halo and Halo 2 to all other console FPSs, there is no comparison. Nothing is better.[/QUOTE]

imho, i think that halo is too overrated. it's a good game, but after hearing about it for almost a year and finally playing it, i didn't feel satisfied after i finished the game. the repetitive levels seemed like a chore to go through and i played it non-stop just to see what the ending was going to be like. the controls, voice acting, etc were great but the level design really killed it for me. i recently finished time splitters future perfect and i thought it was a much better game. btw, i have never played halo online so i'm speaking from a single player perspective :)

Well if were going by review scores in total *goes to gamerankings.com*

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Runner up? Chrono Cross

Grand Theft Auto: VC. Everyone and their mother was saying how geat the game is and how it's so addicting. Played it for about two hours and I felt totally bored and ripped off, my time would have been better spent staring at flies having sex.

[quote name='Ozzkev55']Big Rigs Over The Road Racing
Doom 3[/QUOTE]

I disagree about Doom 3, but hey, to each his own.

And, I say Halo 2.

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']I disagree about Doom 3, but hey, to each his own.

And, I say Halo 2.[/QUOTE]
Big Rigs is my #1 choice...despite having a 1.0 rating on gamespot, lowest in history...even that was too high

I love the GTA series and I've had hours of fun playing them, but I really think the extremely high scores for San Andreas were not justified. To me, the gameplay additions weren't enough to offset some of the more serious flaws:

1. Graphics - I don't think I'm a graphics whore, but the character models and textures were not up to par for a game this late in the PS2's lifespan. Character animation was fine, but everything looked very blurry and primitive up close. Also, some of the lighting effects made it impossible to see what you were doing. I know they were going for a realistic and cinematic feel, but when headed due west at sunset, you often completely disappeared because of the contrast.

2. Character customization - The tattoos, haircuts, and clothes shopping was neat, but the load times for the different items were ridiculous. I don't understand why they couldn't have let you preview the items before having to go back and forth from the changing room to see what you looked like. It was just too time-consuming, and I ended up not bothering with it much at all. Even PS1 games have had better systems for this type of thing.

3. Aiming - This was a much more serious problem for me than the graphics or customization. No matter how much anybody says the aiming system was improved from the first two games, I had a lot of trouble locking on to targets accurately. I can't count the number of times I tried to lock on to someone and turned completely the opposite direction, or somehow managed to shoot straight into the air, resulting in my promptly getting killed

4. Repetitive / overly long missions - I guess all the games in the series have suffered from this, but it was frustrating to have to do a mission again and again if you failed it the first couple of times. A lot of the missions seemed to involve driving for several minutes to one location, or to have conditions for success that were just too demanding (trying to drive across town without damaging your car one bit, etc.). There were times I spent half an hour trying to complete one mission.

I really think that these flaws, in a game that didn't bear the GTA name, would have resulted in MUCH lower scores - probably in the low to mid 7's. Don't get me wrong, I had fun with the game, but I don't think it deserved high 9's and perfect scores. That's my take on it and I've tried to give my reasons as best I could. I'm interested to hear what anyone else thinks.

GTA VC, I dont think halo 2 was over hyped, unless you looked at all the magazines and revlolved your life around it, but for me, I knew it COULDNT live up to the hype gaming sites were giving it, so I didnt read any of it.

I'm sorry but I have to defend halo here. You show me another FPS on a console that's better than it and we can talk about it. It can be over hyped and overrated all you want but it still is the best FPS on console so until someone can tell me of a better FPS on a console shut it.

[quote name='kill3r7']I'm sorry but I have to defend halo here. You show me another FPS on a console that's better than it and we can talk about it. It can be over hyped and overrated all you want but it still is the best FPS on console so until someone can tell me of a better FPS on a console shut it.[/QUOTE]

Metroid Prime

Unique control system, actually good story, and the best translation from 2-D to 3-D any game has every seen (including Zelda). FPS games like Halo belong on the PC where they can be played with a keyboard and mouse.

I'd also say Red Faction (I played on the PS2) was better than Halo. The story pulled me in more than Halo's did. Variety of weapons was good, and I actually cared about winning. I felt for the main character and his cause. The only thing I felt for Master Chief was that he was a gun-toting badass who happened to be in wrong place at the wrong time.

[quote name='kill3r7']I'm sorry but I have to defend halo here. You show me another FPS on a console that's better than it and we can talk about it. It can be over hyped and overrated all you want but it still is the best FPS on console so until someone can tell me of a better FPS on a console shut it.[/QUOTE]

Metroid Prime and Timesplitters 2/3

I also agree that Metroid Prime was the best translation from 2D - 3D. Well, maybe not the best but one of the best. I dont know about its story though :?

[quote name='whoknows']Metroid Prime ... I dont know about its story though[/QUOTE]

I meant it has a good story for an FPS. And the way that story is told was great. You only had to scan what you wanted so you got as much or as little story as you wanted. You could dig into the history of the planet or just rush through, collect stuff, and kill bosses.

As far as Metroid games go, the only story that was better (in my opinion...and I haven't played Echoes yet so I don't know about that one) was Metroid Fusion, but it took a serious hit at gameplay to get it. Far too linear for a Metroid.

Metroid prime is not a real FPS plus it lacks the great multiplayer. I love it as a game but it's not the same game as halo.

As far as Timesplitters 2/3, I think they are overrated. Their multiplayer is no where as good as Halo and the game just doesn't feel as good as halo. Feel free to ask anyone who plays FPS on consoles and they'll tell you that halo it's as good as it gets.

As far as PC FPS it's no where as good as Half-life or Far Cry (which in my opinion is very underrated).

[quote name='kill3r7']Metroid prime is not a real FPS[/QUOTE]

You spend 95% of the game in first person, and you shoot things. How is it not a first person shooter? Maybe it's not what you look for in a first person shooter, but that doesn't mean it doesn't fit in the genre.

And don't say it's the controls either. Goldeneye on N64 used a single stick for movement, and it was an FPS.

bread's done
Back