Most Over Rated Game of All Time

[quote name='kill3r7']Metroid prime is not a real FPS plus it lacks the great multiplayer. I love it as a game but it's not the same game as halo. [/QUOTE]

Metroid Prime is an FPS, I dont know where you got the idea that it isnt. And no, it isnt the same game as Halo which isnt a bad thing, Its different and unique which is what makes it so great.

[quote name='kill3r7']
As far as Timesplitters 2/3, I think they are overrated. Their multiplayer is no where as good as Halo and the game just doesn't feel as good as halo. [/QUOTE]

And for Timesplitters, there are a ton of unlockables, cool minigames and other things like that to keep you playing it for a long long time.

[quote name='kill3r7']
Feel free to ask anyone who plays FPS on consoles and they'll tell you that halo it's as good as it gets.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm sure thats the case /sarcasm

[quote name='jclast']You spend 95% of the game in first person, and you shoot things. How is it not a first person shooter? Maybe it's not what you look for in a first person shooter, but that doesn't mean it doesn't fit in the genre.

And don't say it's the controls either. Goldeneye on N64 used a single stick for movement, and it was an FPS.[/QUOTE]

Goldeneye (IMO the greatest fps on console period) was made prior to the use of 2 analog sticks. NO excuse for the crappy controls in Metroid Prime. Decide what you want either a FPS or a platformer game. I thought Oddworld SW did a good job with switching between the 2 sets of controls. I'm sorry to say this but NGC is not made for a first person shooter. The C stick isn't sensitive enough.

Let's put it this way if you have a group of people in a room it's easier for them to pick up and play halo than to play metroid prime 1/2. Plenty of my friends who are great at FPS can't play metroid even if their lives depended on it. I understand that it's a great game in its own right but it's not Halo nor does it claim to be. Metroid Prime is at best a FPS/Adventure game from a first person's perspective.

[quote name='kill3r7']Metroid Prime is at best a FPS/Adventure game from a first person's perspective ...[/QUOTE]

... in which you shoot things, thus securely placing it in the genre of first person shooter. The genre isn't defined by a control scheme.

[quote name='whoknows']Metroid Prime is an FPS, I dont know where you got the idea that it isnt. And no, it isnt the same game as Halo which isnt a bad thing, Its different and unique which is what makes it so great.

And for Timesplitters, there are a ton of unlockables, cool minigames and other things like that to keep you playing it for a long long time.

Yes, I'm sure thats the case /sarcasm[/QUOTE]

Well, all you have to do is look at the amount of people that play the game online or offline. I don't remember the last time there was a Timesplitters tournament at my school. Yet, there is a ton of Halo tournaments and clans. Just look at the number of people who play halo online alone. All those people can't be wrong.

As far as metroid prime goes. I said it's one of my favorite games but it's not a true FPS, you can only strafe while you are locked on (something that no real fps should do). The controls just don't feel right. The C stick is no where as responsive.

[quote name='jclast']... in which you shoot things, thus securely placing it in the genre of first person shooter. The genre isn't defined by a control scheme.[/QUOTE]

Well if that's the case would you consider Breakdown for the xbox a fps or a first person perspective adventure game.

[quote name='kill3r7']... true FPS ...[/QUOTE]

Do you work in the industry? Do you have access to design documentation and definitions that I don't? How long have been the be all and end all of FPS definition?

FPS stands for FIRST PERSON SHOOTER.

The only requirements for an FPS are these:
1) The game is played in first person.
2) You shoot things.

If there were control scheme restrictions the genre would be DSFPS (Dual Stick First Person Shooter).

[quote name='kill3r7']Well, all you have to do is look at the amount of people that play the game online or offline. I don't remember the last time there was a Timesplitters tournament at my school. Yet, there is a ton of Halo tournaments and clans. Just look at the number of people who play halo online alone. All those people can't be wrong.

As far as metroid prime goes. I said it's one of my favorite games but it's not a true FPS, you can only strafe while you are locked on (something that no real fps should do). The controls just don't feel right. The C stick is no where as responsive.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because Timesplitters 2 was such a huge online game, and Timesplitters 3 has a good amount of people playing online.

Metroid Prime is a true FPS, and you can also strafe in Halo!! Wow did you know that!! And the C-stick is used to change weapons in Metroid Prime, so I dont see what you are complaining about.

FF7 is overrated. It wasn't revolutionary but it opened up gaming to a bigger audience because of the pretty graphics and added more "graphic whores" than real gamers. FFX is my favorite not because of story or characters but the new battle system - seriously folks the ATB system sucked.

GTA is also overrated. People give it too much credit and back when GTA: SA was about to come out, magazines were doing pieces about how GTA series changed gaming. GTA has huge flaws: the missions are pretty boring, the world isn't that fun (NPCs are always saying the same old phrases, so it doesn't feel interactive or real), driving isn't all that great control wise and shooting/punching/jumping is horrible. Actually now that I think about it, GTA has a lot of similarities to the Dynasty Warriors series.

[quote name='jclast']Do you work in the industry? Do you have access to design documentation and definitions that I don't? How long have been the be all and end all of FPS definition?

FPS stands for FIRST PERSON SHOOTER.

The only requirements for an FPS are these:
1) The game is played in first person.
2) You shoot things.

If there were control scheme restrictions the genre would be DSFPS (Dual Stick First Person Shooter).[/QUOTE]

Ok well I made my point. All i'm saying is that halo is not bad as everyone makes it out to be. It's easy to bash it because it's so popular but it's a great game in it's own right.

I never said Halo was bad. I just like other FPS games more. What I will say about Halo, however, is that it got far more than its fair share of hype, and it's not the best game ever.

That title of 'best game ever,' in my opinion, belongs to Final Fantasy Tactics and Front Mission 3, but I'm biased to the SRPG.

The point was that Halo was overrated, not a bad game.

When a game is hyped more than the second coming of Jesus, it is overrated.

[quote name='whoknows']Yeah, because Timesplitters 2 was such a huge online game, and Timesplitters 3 has a good amount of people playing online.

Metroid Prime is a true FPS, and you can also strafe in Halo!! Wow did you know that!! And the C-stick is used to change weapons in Metroid Prime, so I dont see what you are complaining about.[/QUOTE]

Hey I know you can strafe in halo that's my point. you can only do that in Metroid Prime while you are locked on. And you need the C stick so you aren't locked on to the enemy the entire time.

I was only trying to defend halo because it seems that the masses feel that it's totally overrated and overrated= not such a good game. Over hyped is a totally different thing. That I'll agree with. Halo 2 was over hyped but not necesseraly over rated.

[quote name='kill3r7']you can only do [strafe] in Metroid Prime while you are locked on[/QUOTE]

If the game is designed in such a way that strafing is unneccessary unless you are locked onto an enemy, is this really a flaw? Strafing is a much more valuable action when you can't lock on. And I, for one, appreciate lock-on more than always being able to strafe.

Also, overrated doesn't mean bad, it means made out to be better than it is. If a bad game is said to be good, it is overrated. If a good game is said to be great it is overrated. If a great game is said to be perfect it is overrated. Nobody (me at least) said Halo was bad, just overrated.

Halo is overrated as in people saying its the best game ever....which it isnt. Not best FPS, but best Game overall, and I find that extremley annoying.

Its a good game, just not best game ever.

Madden 200x .... that game is on advertised everywhere.... and now the 'new' one will be coming up. Don't get me wrong I think its a decent game but that thing is just hyped to death each year for not very big improvements.

Sports games shouldn't count. They are an improvement from the last installment which usually means that the next game will be better.

[quote name='kill3r7']IMO Zelda OoT is the best game ever.[/QUOTE]

It was good, but I thought the controls were clunky. The controls from Wind Waker are how a 3-D LoZ should control, regardless of what you thought of the story or the graphics.

Control issues aside, it was a great game. Quite possibly the best on the N64.

Ogre Battle 64, Paper Mario, and Goldeneye 007 are right up there, too.

Bah. Sports games suck. They should only be allowed to sell a "new" one every 3 years or so. Sell the new rosters as expansion packs and actually innovate between releases if you ever want me to buy a sports game again.

Also, don't buy exclusive rights to leagues. Nothing hurts games more than removing the competition.

EDIT: This is my favorite thread here so far. I love being able to have an actual conversation about games where I don't have to convince somebody I'm not weird for liking video games.

[quote name='kill3r7']I was only trying to defend halo because it seems that the masses feel that it's totally overrated and overrated= not such a good game. Over hyped is a totally different thing. That I'll agree with. Halo 2 was over hyped but not necesseraly over rated.[/QUOTE]

No, overrated means that it's veiwed with higher esteem than it reasonably should be.

Halo and Halo 2 are good games, but do they really deserve the plethora of perfect 10 ratings they got?

This thread is filled with opinions... As for people saying metriod prime, it is a better game.... if you only like single player. As for TS 2 and 3, theres a reason why more people play halo 2 that those games, cause halo 2 IS better, by how much however, is argueable.

AGAIN, THATS MY OPINION.

[quote name='JSweeney']No, overrated means that it's veiwed with higher esteem than it reasonably should be.

Halo and Halo 2 are good games, but do they really deserve the plethora of perfect 10 ratings they got?[/QUOTE]

Well, you see, no one gave the game a solid 100, cause many magazines go by scores that are whole numbers, not decimals, so if it was 5/5, it deserves it cause a 4/5 just isnt right

But for the magazines that go 9.5 out of 10, well if they gave ti a 10, then Its a LOW ten (meaning a 9.7).

[quote name='JSweeney']No, overrated means that it's veiwed with higher esteem than it reasonably should be.

Halo and Halo 2 are good games, but do they really deserve the plethora of perfect 10 ratings they got?[/QUOTE]

IMO yes. They are the best game in their genre (on console) so yes they do deserve the scores they got. If you like FPS Halo is the best game out there again on console not on PC(that's a totally different matter). If you play a lot of other FPS, you are going to see the difference between halo/halo2 and them and it's a huge difference.

Overhyped IMO = higher esteem that it reasonably should be. Fable would be an example of this as it's overhyped but not necesseraly overrated.

Halo 2, because its droves of fans make it out to be like it is the greatest thing that has ever happened to FPS games ever, when it wasn't. It was a very very average FPS and didn't deserve any of the stellar praise it garnered.

Pac-Man is one of the most overrated IMO. It only had one screen. Ms. Pac-Man is LEAGUES better.

Mortal Kombat was WAY overrated. People still play SF2 and KOF a lot more compared to the (2D) MK games. The controls were stiff. The combo system was awful. The thing it had was fatalities and some cool characters. That's all.

Has DDF listed every game known to mankind except Viewtiful Joe yet?

I don't think the Halo games are overrated at all especially when you consider the Halo 2 multiplayer component which is better than any other console game out there.

[quote name='kill3r7']I'm sorry but I have to defend halo here. You show me another FPS on a console that's better than it and we can talk about it. It can be over hyped and overrated all you want but it still is the best FPS on console so until someone can tell me of a better FPS on a console shut it.[/QUOTE]

Red Faction
Turok 2

Now, I will say, Halo 1 was an awesome game, and I love it to death, but, Halo 2 sucks. It turned me off on Halo.

Freedom Fighters
it was too short in length, and despite being innovate, had a repititive multiplayer, with only 4 maps to its name

[quote name='Ozzkev55']Freedom Fighters
it was too short in length, and despite being innovate, had a repititive multiplayer, with only 4 maps to its name[/QUOTE]

yep. It is about the lamest game I have ever played from this generation. I can't think of a game I have personally played that has bored me more. I am just glad it tanked and Eidos bought Io so we never have to see a sequel

[quote name='CaseyRyback']yep. It is about the lamest game I have ever played from this generation. I can't think of a game I have personally played that has bored me more. I am just glad it tanked and Eidos bought Io so we never have to see a sequel[/QUOTE]
whats even funnier was the 9.0 it recieved from Gamespot

[quote name='Ozzkev55']whats even funnier was the 9.0 it recieved from Gamespot[/QUOTE]

9.3, the GCN was the lowest rated version with a 9.2

[quote name='Ozzkev55']Freedom Fighters
it was too short in length, and despite being innovate, had a repititive multiplayer, with only 4 maps to its name[/QUOTE]

You have insulted one of the best games ever, now you we be ignored by 2 posters!

[quote name='zionoverfire']You have insulted one of the best games ever, now you we be ignored by 2 posters![/QUOTE]
3! And Casey's lucky he's a mod, or he'd be the 5th poster on my list. :D Freedom Fighters is a great game, so much so that you two don't deserve it anyways.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']3! And Casey's lucky he's a mod, or he'd be the 5th poster on my list. :D Freedom Fighters is a great game, so much so that you two don't deserve it anyways.[/QUOTE]

you can keep your shitty, repetitive game. Killing 300 Russians and then figuring out you have to backtrack halfway across the level to find a fucking save point because you have already tried to beat this part twice and died is about the most fustrating thing ever.

This and PoP both suffer from the feeling of been there done that througout the whole game, as they use the same mechanics over and over.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']you can keep your shitty, repetitive game. Killing 300 Russians and then figuring out you have to backtrack halfway across the level to find a fucking save point because you have already tried to beat this part twice and died is about the most fustrating thing ever.

This and PoP both suffer from the feeling of been there done that througout the whole game, as they use the same mechanics over and over.[/QUOTE]
I've never had to backtrack in a level. The closest thing is when I have to switch levels to get extra ammo and weapons to take on the huge amount of russians that were at gouvenors island. It's extremely fun to shoot Soviets, especially when I can order my group around to do it for me. The only reason I ever talk about it anymore is because you guys keep bringing it back up. ;)

[quote name='msdmoney']For just shear overated, Halo 2 (and Halo 1 for that matter). It's just a standard FPS and very repetitive, yet got near perfect reviews. [/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly

The recent rash of street racing games (Need for Speed: Underground and the like) seem overrated. They're decent racers, and the customization is cool, but they're no Colin McRae.

Also havent read anything above (except the last post kekeke) but Final Fantasy VII is the most overrated game of all time.

Too lazy to read all of the above posts. Here's my list:

Halo/Halo 2
Final Fantasy VII
Fable

There. All done.

bread's done
Back