My slumlord sued me: A cautionary tale; UPDATE: Life in prison. The end.

I don't wanna hear updates to this story, because it seems like there will be one where the landlord pulls off an upset and gets what he wants....and the thread will look weird

When you used 'Speed Racer' in the story rather than your real name, I was very confused until I remembered that your username is SpeedRacer. :/ Great story though. It feels like one of those stories that takes a major twist at the end though.

[quote name='strongpimphand']I don't wanna hear updates to this story, because it seems like there will be one where the landlord pulls off an upset and gets what he wants....and the thread will look weird[/QUOTE]
No doubt. We feel like we're as well positioned as possible to handle his lawsuit (assuming he files the appeal by tomorrow evening, which we are 100% sure he will). Because we live in a state with such a strong streak of property and capital defense (for lack of a better way to say it) and even though the burden is on him to prove his case, we're still feeling the heat of the possibility that a different judge will see it his way. We're encouraged because the judge we went before is known as a neutral (not pro-tenant or pro-landlord) and she ruled in our favor without reservation. But all it would take is an appellate judge that thinks all tenants are scum and we'd be in trouble. Hell, the court case heard before ours last Friday was a tenant that refused to leave and didn't give a damn what the landlord said. Since I imagine landlords appeal far more often than tenants, I think it'd be fair to say appellate judges are conditioned by their case load to perceive tenants as sneaky bastards.

On the other hand, it's clear from the original judge's ruling that she saw this completely in our favor. Luckily for us, she is the only judge that handles cases filed at the court she oversees and so we know when we counter sue for the deposit + all the other crap we're going to try to pin on him for bad faith, we have an already sympathetic ear. But our ability to do so depends on the outcome of the original eviction case, which is what will be appealed.

Until then, we're in limbo and our destiny is out of our hands. A win is a win and we'll take it for sure, but that win on Friday was just the first of many battles in this war.

Keep it up, speedracer. This is an amazing read, and I wish you and yours all the best. Don't let everything exhaust you.

Stumbled upon this thread and laughed out loud a couple times. Your updates are very vivid and I feel as if I'm sitting in the court room watching Speed Racer and Mr. Slumlord duel it out. Keep it up!

Sir, you are my hero!

I have just finished reading the entire updated post up until now and, aside from laughing out loud every few minutes in disbelief, I am utterly serious in saying I pray to God and every other deity that you take this chump on until you butt rape this loser for every last penny. (No gay) For his other offenses I hope he ends up rotting in jail for at least a couple decades, with a sexy new boyfriend named Leonard.

What a total POS!

What's going on here is that he probably thinks he's some kind of genius and he's likely never had anyone oppose him as vehemently as you have, so he keeps on fighting and fighting. He's going down with his ship because he won't let go of the wheel. Please don't let anyone sway your decisions from here on out (sorry to the wife and other tenants), take this sack of crap to the cleaners. Please do it for all the thousands of tenants all over this country who get pissed on by skeevy landlords every month.

I will be waiting for the next update! I only wish I could come to the courthouse to watch the implosion in real time.

Thank you for sharing your story.
Good luck! (Although I doubt you need it.)

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']I think it is funny the landlord has lost and continues plowing full steam ahead.[/QUOTE]

id really like to know this guy in person. hes gotta be a piece of work.

I love this thread. I wish I had either the acumen or the time to put the screws to the corrupt ***hats I have to deal with all the time.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']id really like to know this guy in person. hes gotta be a piece of work.[/QUOTE]

Indeed.

I hope when this is all done, that speedracer will post a pic.

Shit, this guy just won't give up, even though the court has now ruled against him multiple times. Its like watching someone trying to squeeze money from a stone.

This is amazing. Just when I think it can't get any dumber, it does! You just can't make this shit up!

The worst part of it is that you'll spend lots of your time & money to come away victorious, only to have him stiff you or be put away on the rape charge before you get your turn. I hope the "moral victory" will be enough for you. Obviously, you rightfully deserve the cash, but with this guy who knows if you'll ever see it.

Good luck! Can't wait for the next ep.

If anyone doesn't think this is TOTY 2009-2010, they're nuts.

Every time I read this, I'm amazed at all the aspects of what a fucked up mess this whole thing is.

This story is awesome.

I've dealt with slumlords when I was going to school in Providence. For the most part, theyre all scumbags.

We filed this morning, so he should be served via mail from the court by Thursday. We expect to have a court date toward the end of the month.
[quote name='Emiroo']The worst part of it is that you'll spend lots of your time & money to come away victorious, only to have him stiff you or be put away on the rape charge before you get your turn. I hope the "moral victory" will be enough for you. Obviously, you rightfully deserve the cash, but with this guy who knows if you'll ever see it.[/quote]
The court filing cost us less than $100. We fully expect him to stiff us on any award, though that award will probably go through at least one appeal. We're not expecting to see anything at all and certainly not anytime soon. Either way, it's gone from death match involving potential liability up to $10,000 to now the sport of "how much of a judgment can we soak him with?" That difference makes it fun now. We're prolly just gonna attach a lien to his properties and then walk away when the counter party to his criminal trial soaks him. We'd rather they have the money.

An interesting and obscenely stupid aside: in the good cop letter he mentioned needing to protect his business and more specifically, his partners as part of the justification for going after us the way he has. Mmmmmm. Tasty, liable partners. This is the first we've heard of partners. I think he's just delusional and/or lying, but we're sure as hell gonna find out now.

Great thread and thanks for sharing. I have been fucked with at every place I have ever rented from but every time I have bit back I have won.

Just decided to see what all the fuss was about with this thread. Read through the entire thing, and while I completely applaud you for not letting this slimeball get away with his BS tactics, there are things about the way you're handling it that seem wreckless and immature.

Some of your actions and statements make it sound like you legitimately believe you're in Goodfellas or something. You mention being Italian, and that it's not in your genetic makeup to let things go and take the high road. I'm also Italian, but I'm not some goombah who can't separate his tough guy image from reality.

The truth is, unless you're actually a criminal, you're not prepared to deal with this guy's level of crazy. It may be fun to act smug, puff out your chest, and go around cornering him in elevators, but he's shown he has no problems breaking the law. Look at the things he's done (or is accused of doing). If you don't think he would respond to you at the same kind of criminal level, you're naive.

But if you're going to gloat and act like a bigshot, and then expect a restraining order to be the thing to protect you, don't be surprised when somebody ends up getting hurt. It's a restraining order, not a force field. Real criminals can walk right through them. It really isn't worth it just so you can pretend to be Robert De Niro.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']there are things about the way you're handling it that seem wreckless and immature.

Some of your actions and statements make it sound like you legitimately believe you're in Goodfellas or something. You mention being Italian, and that it's not in your genetic makeup to let things go and take the high road. I'm also Italian, but I'm not some goombah who can't separate his tough guy image from reality. [/quote]
I agree with everything you've said. I know it sounds retarded on a message board the way I've described it sometimes, but in real life I love conflict and I'm a brutal fatalist. I've had fun with the thread to be sure, but I've also read through it several times and reexamined the risk/reward I'm running by screwing around with this guy.

When I told my brother what was going on when we initially found out we'd been sued, his first question was whether I had gone to his house and introduced myself to his family yet. Crazy people what? :)
The truth is, unless you're actually a criminal, you're not prepared to deal with this guy's level of crazy. It may be fun to act smug, puff out your chest, and go around cornering him in elevators, but he's shown he has no problems breaking the law. Look at the things he's done (or is accused of doing). If you don't think he would respond to you at the same kind of criminal level, you're naive.
I've tossed this back and forth in my head a couple of times and agree that I was being more flippant than I should have been at the beginning. I would say now that I'm essentially taunting a dynamite monkey. I guess a good thing from this thread is FoC's comment that really made me think more about it and decide not to full court press him. I had big plans. At the beginning, I would have told you that no matter what his retribution, it ALWAYS would have been worth it. That's just who I am (or was I guess). The elevator became the extent of what I was going to allow myself in intimidation indulgence.

Wreckless? For sure. Immature? Probably, yea. I certainly wouldn't recommend my tactics.
It's a restraining order, not a force field. Real criminals can walk right through them.
Again true and rightfully taking me to task. Last week I would have told you that the end result would be whatever it is and f-- em anyways. The playing field has been jerked sideways however, since Mrs. Racer informed me of our incubating zygote two days ago. Doing what's right has a different and obvious meaning now.

We're still suing his ass though. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='speedracer']since Mrs. Racer informed me of our incubating zygote two days ago. Doing what's right has a different and obvious meaning now.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations!

[quote name='speedracer']Mrs. Racer informed me of our incubating zygote two days ago. Doing what's right has a different and obvious meaning now. [/QUOTE]

This thread just went from Awesome to dinosaurs with lasers awesome. Congratulations!

[quote name='speedracer']Again true and rightfully taking me to task. Last week I would have told you that the end result would be whatever it is and f-- em anyways. The playing field has been jerked sideways however, since Mrs. Racer informed me of our incubating zygote two days ago. Doing what's right has a different and obvious meaning now.

We're still suing his ass though. ;)[/QUOTE]

Hey, good for you, man. And congratulations on the baby! I didn't mean to rip into you about the whole thing. I just know how easy it is to get pumped up and carried away when some asshole is trying to stick it to you and your loved ones, and you know you can nail him to the wall. Unfortunately, sometimes you also have to recognize the kind of person you're dealing with.

The way I see it, it's like getting into a boxing match with a guy who hits below the belt. You might be willing to fight by the rules, but if he's not willing to, it's not a smart fight to take. Ultimately, you just gotta trust that the court system will do what it was created for, and you'll get what's right. In the meantime, take care of that family, and just focus on making theirs and your life as enjoyable as possible. That's all that matters. Hope everything works out.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']looks like he didnt spend any extra postage since the first letter and the bad cop letter[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't that mean he didn't send it?

To speedracer: Are you politely informing him that you have no need to communicate with him since he lost the case or just ignoring him?

Just found this thread today and was treated to one of the best reads I've had in a long time.
I eagerly await the continuation of this saga and hope that Mr. Slumlord somehow gets eaten by a dragon or something.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']To speedracer: Are you politely informing him that you have no need to communicate with him since he lost the case or just ignoring him?[/QUOTE]
I don't think there's anything replying to him can achieve. I was leaning towards replying and tell him we were suing him, but the wife said he'll know soon enough. To answer your question, no. He does not know if we've gotten the letters.

[quote name='shrike4242']If anyone doesn't think this is TOTY 2009-2010, they're nuts.

Every time I read this, I'm amazed at all the aspects of what a fucked up mess this whole thing is.[/QUOTE]

That's not why it's TOTY. It's the way speed and the gang deftly and nimbly parry every blow, dodge every uppercut, almost sneering in the process at how poorly it was delivered, and responding in kind with Ivan Drago-like precision, each responding blow doing more and more damage.

So the "good guys are getting theirs" aspect is wonderful.

Yet here's why it's really TOTY. The landlord has most of our jaws on the floor in terms of playing the role of rope-a-dope. He's a Homer Simpson kind of character, taking lethal crack after lethal crack straight to the fuckin' face. He doesn't seem to be at all aware that he's being hit, however - and his obliviousness to reality has him coming back for more time and time again. Some of us, most of us, have probably read this thread thinking at some point "damn, speed, you're not out for the win, you're out to rend as much flesh from this dude as possible, perhaps now is a good time to cut your losses." But hey, he's the villain, so fuck him, right? He seems to be the only person unwilling to entertain the question "maybe I should stop now" (well, him and speed).

At this point the dude is getting so.fucking.owned by speed and the gang that we might even feel a little pity for the guy - if only because his attitude and tenaciousness defy explanation. We read the thread peeking between our index and middle fingers, unable to tolerate any more of the putrid, pulpy gore that speed has unleashed on his former landlord. We even consider the idea that, while there's no mistaking the good guy in this case, we might think he's taking things a little too far, punishing someone a little too hard, doing a little bit much.

But then we say no, he's fighting the good fight, and goddammit, we're entertained.

TOTFY.

First time reader, long time poster. Good stuff. I say stick to your guns (like you have been) for all the little people who this scumbag has stepped on his whole life. Karma is finally coming around for this low-life. I eagerly await the conclusion of this thread. Bravo!

Amazingly entertaining story, great thread. Best of luck to you, but seriously dude, watch yourself. You said he has a concealed weapons permit and has allegedly raped a child. Don't bite off more than you can chew, dude.

bread's done
Back