My slumlord sued me: A cautionary tale; UPDATE: Life in prison. The end.

[quote name='speedracer'] We're prolly just gonna attach a lien to his properties and then walk away when the counter party to his criminal trial soaks him. We'd rather they have the money.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm mistaken, but my understanding was criminal trials don't result in awards for victims. Was there a civil case tied to it as well? Either way, sounds like this creep has plenty of assets to be able to pay off whatever a court tells him to give you.

Congrats on your new zygote. You should start a college fund for it with what you win. :)

[quote name='adamical']Amazingly entertaining story, great thread. Best of luck to you, but seriously dude, watch yourself. You said he has a concealed weapons permit and has allegedly raped a child. Don't bite off more than you can chew, dude.[/QUOTE]

This. Sometimes you just got to walk away from the crazy, for your own safety and that of your loved ones. It's not worth getting shot by a criminal who shown he doesn't have a very good grasp of reality for 12K (or whatever it is now). Stay safe.

SpeedRacer .. umm .. dont bother renting any of my houses in Space City USA brotha .. you are freaking evil "tenant" for keeping this going but knowing that most of the law is on the side of consumer in Texas just places you in "slightly awesome evil" ^_^

And now some life building quotes:

"for those gather knowledge will rake in wealth and riches beyond normal means"

"and knowing is half the battle!"

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you put him over the coals speedracer. A section 8 slumlord was bullying someone I know for extra money. She is a legally blind single mother of three. Eventually she was able to save enough to move, but she lost her entire deposit on top of all the hundreds of dollars he got from her each month. Just imagine the other people whose lives this man might be destroying, not to even mention the possibilty he's a rapist and pedophile.

EnronLackey, as long as you're not some sleazebag slumlord that tries pulling a fast one on tenants, I don't think you have anything to fear from him.

Rental crap is always such a pain. I'm a good tenant, that has experience with crappy tenants. I have my own little story, but it's not nearly as exciting as speedracer's.

The last time I moved I was taking over an apartment for a couple that was breaking their lease, very early (like 8 months left). First they tried to delay "a week or two" after we agreed to, by sending me an email less than 12 hours before I would be there. That prompted me to remind them I had the email with them agreeing to that date and they would need to pay for any extra truck rental and storage fees incurred due to their delaying on such short notice, which got them to move quick. Then they tried to get me to pay their entire last month's rent because I was there for part of the month (apartment management specifically told me not to pay). And when I took over the power bill, the first one that showed up was for over 800 dollars and had obviously gone unpaid for months. This was easily fixed. And let's not forget that I moved in knowing that I would be out some of my deposit because these people repainted some of the walls and the apartment management wouldn't have time to get things fixed before I was in, since they stayed longer than originally planned. I still can't believe they had the gall to try and harass me to pay some of this stuff after I saved them thousands by taking over their lease. Some people...

[quote name='watcher0']EnronLackey, as long as you're not some sleazebag slumlord that tries pulling a fast one on tenants, I don't think you have anything to fear from him[/QUOTE]

sleazebag no .. slumlord possibly .. hehe .. most of my rentals are in the East side of downtown Houston .. most ppl in Space City would know its not really the "white" picket fence side of town .. but Im pretty good with my tenants even though very few of them literally destroys my houses while they live for a short time and other have been great tenants for years taken care of the house like it was their own .. but its all good, like all investments, gatta take the bitter with the sweets thats includes ppl who willing give you money for housing

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='deathmothon']Keep hitting this scumbag. Do you know anything about his rape case? Is it a slamdunk he's going away for a long time?[/QUOTE]
Through personal contacts in law enforcement, we're able to get court dates. The victim being a minor has that thing sealed up water tight. He has young children including a daughter and is divorced. Our guesses have ranged from a former student (he was a teacher) to his own child to his ex-wife going crazy on him. We honestly have no idea.
[quote name='watcher0']Maybe I'm mistaken, but my understanding was criminal trials don't result in awards for victims. Was there a civil case tied to it as well?[/QUOTE]
We just assume there will be. And thanks for the congrats :)
[quote name='EnronLackey']SpeedRacer .. umm .. dont bother renting any of my houses in Space City USA brotha .. you are freaking evil "tenant" for keeping this going but knowing that most of the law is on the side of consumer in Texas just places you in "slightly awesome evil" ^_^[/QUOTE]
We were walking away from it. If he'd sent a letter saying he was keeping the deposit, that would have been the end of it. He had to get all lawsuit happy. Even then we probably would have settled for the deposit. Then he had to get a default judgment by being a sneaky bastard. Even then after we won the right to reopen the case, we offered to settle for less than the full deposit. This guy just doesn't know when to quit.

I glossed over major parts of the story that weren't particularly pertinent, but he's a far worse slumlord than anything I've seen. I've rented for 15 years now and before this I'd put in exactly 1 repair request. If it's not a huge deal I just don't care. We put in 8 requests at the house and 1 was fixed (the dryer went out). Major safety issue stuff went unfixed. He just flat didn't give a damn. And again, even then, we didn't care enough to go after him.
[quote name='EnronLackey']but Im pretty good with my tenants even though very few of them literally destroys my houses while they live for a short time and other have been great tenants for years taken care of the house like it was their own[/QUOTE]
I appreciate that and I appreciate the little guy trying to make his way in the world. My dad had a tenant pour concrete down the drains. The entire time we lived there we were getting letters from the banks and IRS for him and it was pretty clear he was in trouble financially. We were always cordial and hell, I felt sympathy for the guy, thinking he was just another casualty of the market and that it was a bummer for him and his family.

[quote name='speedracer']The entire time we lived there we were getting letters from the banks and IRS for him and it was pretty clear he was in trouble financially. We were always cordial and hell, I felt sympathy for the guy, thinking he was just another casualty of the market and that it was a bummer for him and his family.[/QUOTE]

Speed .. IMHO you too kindhearted, which is a good thing, but just not right time to be so ^_^ .. but man, when he decided to make you the goose who he would choke to make you lay the golden egg .. well the gloves gatta comes off .. but I praise you for being the smarter man in this situation and hope you come out on top

I found out about this thread through the thread of the year voting, clicked it, and now regret voting for something else.

[quote name='mkelehan']I found out about this thread through the thread of the year voting, clicked it, and now regret voting for something else.[/QUOTE]

Same.

I am glad that my vote for TOTY went to you Speed. Hope there is some closure for you here soon as this has gotta be taking its toll just dragging on.

I nearly missed the opportunity to vote for TOTY once I got sucked into this thread. Nearly. Fantastic work and excellent writing, Speed! Can't forget to thank CAG posters for some laughs as well.

We have a similarly developed bundle of cells in our wives! Congratulations, and I wish you luck in both this case as well as your next 30-35 weeks.

Hurry up and wait update.

Congrats Sokvichet. I can't wait for my wife to waddle her ass into court 6 months pregnant to argue our case. Sympathy FTW!

And thanks for the TOTY votes guys, I guess? lol. That ECA thread should win though. That shit was priceless.

Thank god this won a cheapy award! This is possibly one of the most amazing things I've ever read on the internet. I really can't wait for May 11th.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']shit man. i cant wait until may 11th to see how this ends. just post his pedo story so we have something to hold us over[/QUOTE]

Nah, that might give his identity away.

If he lived in my area, I'd hire a kid to pelt him with eggs as he walked out the courtroom just so it'd be on the news

So I've been skipping over this thread for a while just because it was so big. But I saw it won a Cheapy award, so I had to see what all the fuss is about. And this was a worthy read. Took almost 2 hours... but it was good stuff.

[quote name='speedracer']
Congrats Sokvichet. I can't wait for my wife to waddle her ass into court 6 months pregnant to argue our case. Sympathy FTW!

[/QUOTE]

LOL, I just got an Arrested Development flashback. Great thread btw, and good luck!

Crazy story man, I guess im lucky i have never had any problems + i have gotten my full deposit back both times (less the cleaning of 200$)

I'm convinced this will never end.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Nah, that might give his identity away.[/QUOTE]
Yea. No can do Ram.

why not hire or find some really hott chick to go over there and serve him the papers. very few guys , especially creepy old ones, will think twice when a hot chick comes by. either that or order him a pizza and pay for it and inside the box have the papers in there or as he hands him the pizza and then a 6 pack of soda have him hand him the papers. free stuff an be distracting too.

This story just keeps getting better and better-- I think you'll be in the running for Thread-of-the-Year in 2010, too, Speedracer!

[quote name='keithp']This story just keeps getting better and better-- I think you'll be in the running for Thread-of-the-Year in 2010, too, Speedracer![/QUOTE]I would have to agree on that.

As much as I'd like to believe some people aren't this dumb, this landlord keeps proving me wrong, time and time again.

speedracer, nice bit of info that the court would take good faith attempts to try and serve the summons as proof that you tried to service it and he's ducking the attempts. I'll have to remember that for the future, if I'm ever in a similar position.

One minor suggestion. Could you possibly date the updates? Very interesting read, but if I hadn't seen this get bumped so much, I would have never had known this got an update. And even then, took me a minute to remember where I stopped reading last =P

And good luck with it all; will definitely keep up with this.

[quote name='elessar123']One minor suggestion. Could you possibly date the updates? Very interesting read, but if I hadn't seen this get bumped so much, I would have never had known this got an update. And even then, took me a minute to remember where I stopped reading last =P[/QUOTE]
Every time I update, I hope the next one will be the last. I'll start throwing dates on em. Good idea.
[quote name='keithp']This story just keeps getting better and better-- I think you'll be in the running for Thread-of-the-Year in 2010, too, Speedracer![/QUOTE]
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the thought of it. Two damn months before we even get back into the ring with this guy. If he shows, we can get a judgment on the spot and hope the bailiff requires payment right then (in some alternate universe it happens that way). If he doesn't show which appears likely, we get to put a lien on his property and wait for his appeal of the decision. He'll argue he wasn't served and will fail again, but it'll add a few more months to the saga while we wait for his appeals to be exhausted.

At this rate, I'll probably be nominated in 2011 and 2012 also.

oh man, I am glad I was on the site to see this pop up in the last 5 posted because I haven't followed since voting this as TOTY 09'.

Can't wait to see what happens in May

[quote name='speedracer']
At this rate, I'll probably be nominated in 2011 and 2012 also.[/QUOTE]

That's how the law works, sadly...

[quote name='speedracer']Every time I update, I hope the next one will be the last. I'll start throwing dates on em. Good idea.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the thought of it. Two damn months before we even get back into the ring with this guy. If he shows, we can get a judgment on the spot and hope the bailiff requires payment right then (in some alternate universe it happens that way). If he doesn't show which appears likely, we get to put a lien on his property and wait for his appeal of the decision. He'll argue he wasn't served and will fail again, but it'll add a few more months to the saga while we wait for his appeals to be exhausted.

At this rate, I'll probably be nominated in 2011 and 2012 also.[/QUOTE]

You must be quite the optimist to have kept thinking "the next one will be the last" for so long. :applause:

Maybe when this is all over you'll get a special CAG award for most consecutive years being nominated. At the very least that guy should get an honorable mention in the villains category next year.

[quote name='Access_Denied']You should probably correct the date from 3/11/10 to 5/11/10. That really confused me for a minute. ;)[/QUOTE]
Thanks. Fixed it.

Thanks Msut. Here's hoping he pays for my new PS3.

[quote name='BattleChicken']Perhaps you should light him on fire. Fire fixes all of life's problems.

Except out of control fires...[/QUOTE]

Controlled fires help get out of control fires under control.......................Yes, I know what you were doing...Im just f'n bored and thats all I could come up with to reply at the moment.

bread's done
Back