My slumlord sued me: A cautionary tale; UPDATE: Life in prison. The end.

The scary thing would be if speed somehow loses....

Or maybe one of those courtroom TV show moments where the slum lord is like "Judge, I'd like to enter into evidence....a transcript of his accounts based on his cheapassgamer.com account!!!!"

I would find that hilarious

[quote name='Will']Controlled fires help get out of control fires under control.......................Yes, I know what you were doing...Im just f'n bored and thats all I could come up with to reply at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Fire fixes all of lifes problems. It is official.

I knew about the controlled fires thing regarding forest fires and the like before you mentioned it.. but didn't think about that at all when I typed my comment out originally.

So, Fire. that's the answer.

Dum, de dum, dum....DUMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank goodness he didn't take your latest offer, can't wait to see him lose!

[quote name='speedracer']We have to wait a month until we can put a lien on his property. I'm going to go knock on the doors of his other tenants and explain exactly what he did to us, what the bullshit in the contract means, and tell em about his rape charges. I'm going to go to his current neighbors and tell them about the criminal charges. I'm going to try to go to his court date on for the criminal charges. With judgment in hand and him stiffing us again, I have full support from the others to exert maximum pressure. So that's what I'm gonna do.[/QUOTE]

Two things:

1) He can just walk out without paying - is that because he has a right to appeal?

2) Are you concerned that he will sue you for libel. I mean, it sounds like it would be baseless, but this guy seems pretty vindictive.

At this point, it was clear to me (and all of us I think) that he had no intention of ever paying us on a future date. The only carrot we had left was the promise to drop the suit. He says he will get the money and come back. My wife and one of the other tenants stays at the court house to wait for him to come back with the money. I go run some errands, buy a big cigar, and go back to the court house with 15 minutes to go. I stand out front and smoke the cigar, laughing the whole time.

He never comes back. At 5pm, the judgment is entered against the landlord.

You sir, you have just performed what is called "THE VICTORY FORMATION"

Here is a huge picture of Matt Hesslebeck demostrating what you have just done

_DSC3885.JPG

For those who are not familiar with football, here is the same formation in a more simplistic diagram

637px-Post-Pisarcik_QB_kneel_formation.svg.png

Well done!

Dude, I wouldn't go around talking to his neighbors or showing up at his criminal court dates. That's just fodder for him dragging you back into court, baseless or not.

Oh god, this just gets more and more amazing. Might this thread actually be nominated for Thread of the Year two years in a row? Has that ever been done before?

[quote name='Anexanhume']Dude, I wouldn't go around talking to his neighbors or showing up at his criminal court dates. That's just fodder for him dragging you back into court, baseless or not.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I don't think you should walk around either, speedracer. Your back is going to start hurting from hauling them big bawz all over the place.

Wow you and your wife are absolutely brilliant. If it was an average normal joe like myself we wouldn't stand a chance. Props to you for standing up and knowing your way around the law!

[quote name='camoor']1) He can just walk out without paying - is that because he has a right to appeal?[/quote]
Yup. The judgment is officially entered as of today. He will have 5 days to appeal. We would LOVE for him to appeal but who knows. Actually, I would love for him to appeal. The other 3 involved in the case are war weary and want it to end.
2) Are you concerned that he will sue you for libel. I mean, it sounds like it would be baseless, but this guy seems pretty vindictive.
The truth is an absolute defense in libel cases. Just a random example off the top of my head and in no way connected to this issue, if I were to tell you he is a rapist, I can be held liable for libel. If I tell you he is alleged to have raped someone and has charges pending, that is absolute truth in the legal sense.

I would have no problem going back to court with him. Maybe I'm a shit human being, but he appears genuinely afraid of me and I enjoy being in his presence for that reason. The rest of the parties are pretty pissy with me already, but that wouldn't include them. You should see this guy when we all go to court. He's downright friendly to the other 3, but looks like a trapped animal as soon as I start talking. When we were in the mediation room, the mediator left to find a chair. I was sitting across from him, leaning in with my biggest smile. He was damn near in the fetal position. Yea, I enjoy shit like that. Let him squirm.
[quote name='Anexanhume']Dude, I wouldn't go around talking to his neighbors or showing up at his criminal court dates. That's just fodder for him dragging you back into court, baseless or not.[/QUOTE]
To be honest I haven't decided what exactly I'm going to do. For obvious reasons, he is working very hard to disassociate himself from the criminal charges, including using an alias for court proceedings. To me, it's a clear pressure point that I can use to persuade payment. It's totally legal and I'm sure he would recant and pay if he knew it was in the cards. What I'm trying to figure out right now is how exactly I can apply that pressure without him losing his mind all over my face. My pregnant wife is a bit of an issue here for me. I thought about calling him but it's not something I feel I can phrase correctly if it were to be taped, and he tapes everything.

The issue I'm facing here is that the other 3 (well 2 1/2, my wife is half supportive because she knows how much I really want) really REALLY want this to end and they want money in their pocket, even a little bit. I can't blame them. Ya'll have read this. A reasonable person would just take their cut of the $750 and run from this guy as fast as they can.

I'm not reasonable. The money has zero influence over my behavior. I'm looking for satisfaction to the fullest extent the law and society affords. I just have to find a balance that doesn't piss off my family.

[quote name='speedracer']I'm not reasonable. The money has zero influence over my behavior. I'm looking for satisfaction to the fullest extent the law and society affords. I just have to find a balance that doesn't piss off my family.[/QUOTE]

The worst part of anything you've typed. This is when people get wreckless. As I've brought up before, it's pretty apparent that you're enjoying being Mr. Bad Ass with this guy...and that's fine. But at least have the intelligence to recognize when you've won. Today, you just beat this guy, according to the terms of the law, and you're talking about still fighting him. You're talking about "applying pressure" to get him to pay. How do you think the court would view that? Is it not their responsibility to ensure that their judgment is carried out? If the case does get appealed, the last thing you want is a judge looking at you as being arrogant and self-righteous.

Yeah, sure, the landlord is a piece of garbage. But if you act like anything other than meek and mild-mannered Joe Citizen, you might run into a judge who doesn't care how "smart you are". Play it by the book. You've got a case you've already won, which could only get escalated and worsen if the landlord continues to ignore the fact that he has lost. If he keeps it up, you might get his assets AND he could serve time. At this point, you've got him right where you want him. I wouldn't be doing anything to potentially fuck it up.

Great story, lots of lols to be had by all. Can't wait to hear more if there is anything else to be said. Renting is a sticky business and I hope to never have to deal with anyone like this dude. Good luck!

[quote name='n8rockerasu']The worst part of anything you've typed. This is when people get wreckless. As I've brought up before, it's pretty apparent that you're enjoying being Mr. Bad Ass with this guy...and that's fine. But at least have the intelligence to recognize when you've won. Today, you just beat this guy, according to the terms of the law, and you're talking about still fighting him. You're talking about "applying pressure" to get him to pay. How do you think the court would view that? Is it not their responsibility to ensure that their judgment is carried out? If the case does get appealed, the last thing you want is a judge looking at you as being arrogant and self-righteous.[/quote]
First off, I want to thank you specifically dude. I've appreciated your point of view especially since it's been so pointedly different from my own. All of us are having a difficult time appraising the situation because we're so entwined in it and it's tough to find outside opinion. I've thought about your previous posts long and hard and have about this one as well. So yea. Thanks. The counter view is giving me something to chew on.

He's got us between a rock and a hard place and he knows it. We are now unsecured creditors, which means we can demand no collateral and can only place liens on property. All he has to do is not sell the property or declare bankruptcy and we get nothing. Our only carrot was summarily dismissed by him yesterday, which leaves only sticks to prod compliance with the judgment. Unless he sues me for something, the court's judgment is complete and won't change. To my understanding, we wait a month and then something happens with the sheriff. Either we file to put a lien or the sheriff goes out to his place or something like that. I'm not exactly sure to be honest. I need to talk to my wife about that process.
Yeah, sure, the landlord is a piece of garbage. But if you act like anything other than meek and mild-mannered Joe Citizen, you might run into a judge who doesn't care how "smart you are". Play it by the book. You've got a case you've already won, which could only get escalated and worsen if the landlord continues to ignore the fact that he has lost. If he keeps it up, you might get his assets AND he could serve time. At this point, you've got him right where you want him. I wouldn't be doing anything to potentially fuck it up.
I'm not worried about legal action from him, even if I go all out. I am worried that he might go nuts all over my family. I guess what I do want is the money, but only because I know he so badly doesn't want to give it to us.

He won't go to jail for not paying us. I don't think anyway. That's an interesting thought though and I need to figure out what the sheriff will do before I make a move. That's a good idea.

I'm updating the original post with my phone call today.

[quote name='speedracer']First off, I want to thank you specifically dude. I've appreciated your point of view especially since it's been so pointedly different from my own. All of us are having a difficult time appraising the situation because we're so entwined in it and it's tough to find outside opinion. I've thought about your previous posts long and hard and have about this one as well. So yea. Thanks. The counter view is giving me something to chew on.

He's got us between a rock and a hard place and he knows it. We are now unsecured creditors, which means we can demand no collateral and can only place liens on property. All he has to do is not sell the property or declare bankruptcy and we get nothing. Our only carrot was summarily dismissed by him yesterday, which leaves only sticks to prod compliance with the judgment. Unless he sues me for something, the court's judgment is complete and won't change. To my understanding, we wait a month and then something happens with the sheriff. Either we file to put a lien or the sheriff goes out to his place or something like that. I'm not exactly sure to be honest. I need to talk to my wife about that process.

I'm not worried about legal action from him, even if I go all out. I am worried that he might go nuts all over my family. I guess what I do want is the money, but only because I know he so badly doesn't want to give it to us.

He won't go to jail for not paying us. I don't think anyway. That's an interesting thought though and I need to figure out what the sheriff will do before I make a move. That's a good idea.

I'm updating the original post with my phone call today.[/QUOTE]

Well, a lot of what you're worried about hinges on one thing: his intelligence. You're either overestimating it or underestimating it, haha. I'm sure you've got a better take on him than anybody in this thread could have just from reading about him. But unless he's got some pretty sleazy legal advisors (who would actually advise him to not pay?), you're counting on him just knowing that he can choose to not pay you. And the bottom line is, you're making his life much harder than I'm sure he would like it to be.

I mean, look at the conditions you stated for the court to not outright force him to pay you. He either can't sell any of his properties or he has to declare bankruptcy. I really doubt either of those things are longterm plans for him. I'm guessing because of the fact that you're unsecured creditors, you can't send a collections agency after him. If that's the case, it's unfortunate considering all the other debts people can be hounded and harrassed over.

Also, my point about him going to jail, yeah...I honestly don't know the consequences of simply avoiding a court ruling. You would think that's something actually serious, but who knows how many loopholes there are for him to jump through. I mean, how is it any different than refusing to pay a speeding ticket? If it's not looked at that way, it SHOULD be.

But more importantly, you know that he's not an upstanding citizen to begin with. If anything, this case will have Uncle Sam paying attention to him now. If he doesn't cheat in some other area of his life/finances, I'll be amazed. By not being willing to realistically negotiate with you, he's brought heat on himself. That's the LAST thing a criminal wants. As long as this has been dragged out, I'm sure your family has gotten over the missing money anyway. Even if it takes 3 years, maybe you'll get a $1500 check in the mail one day, and it'll be like a surprise paid vacation.

And of course, yeah, there's the whole family safety/wounded animal aspect of it. If things are bound to get worse with the case (appeal or otherwise), the fire's only going to get hotter for him. I don't blame you at all for being apprehensive about the justice system, but it has worked for you thus far. It would be quite a failure of the court system for you to get stiffed completely. And if that were to happen, I wouldn't blame you for any recourse you chose to take. But I'd at least give it a chance to work properly first.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']But more importantly, you know that he's not an upstanding citizen to begin with. If anything, this case will have Uncle Sam paying attention to him now. If he doesn't cheat in some other area of his life/finances, I'll be amazed. By not being willing to realistically negotiate with you, he's brought heat on himself. That's the LAST thing a criminal wants. As long as this has been dragged out, I'm sure your family has gotten over the missing money anyway. Even if it takes 3 years, maybe you'll get a $1500 check in the mail one day, and it'll be like a surprise paid vacation.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm quoting myself because of the new update.

See, I knew that would happen. ;)

He's panicking now. All you need to do is sit back and enjoy the show. You'll probably end up owning 3 of his buildings before this thing is over, lol.

[quote name='camoor']LoL wow. I wonder what he was arrested for.[/QUOTE]
On Tuesday, he ran when police arrived at his home in the [REDACTED] to take him into custody on four new child sex assault charges.
Pedobear. I added the info to the original post.

You must be loving this. I know I am. Is it possible the four new charges are due to you telling the other tenants about all the shit going on?

[quote name='Rasen']You must be loving this. I know I am. Is it possible the four new charges are due to you telling the other tenants about all the shit going on?[/QUOTE]

He hasn't had a chance to do so. Also, you can't get arrested for being a douchey landlord.

[quote name='Rasen']You must be loving this. I know I am. Is it possible the four new charges are due to you telling the other tenants about all the shit going on?[/QUOTE]
Dude, I've got the biggest smile you've ever seen. He's in prison right now on 6 child molestation charges AND he's not getting bail because he ran from the cops AND they're going to reschedule the hearings because of the new charges which means he's going to rot in jail for a couple of months BEFORE he even gets to get found guilty.

OMG. Best. Day. Ever.

We haven't told any of his tenants or anyone like that. I sure as hell am now.

His mugshot in the newspaper is fucking priceless. He's trying to look all hard and he's the biggest pussy I've ever met.

[quote name='speedracer']
His mugshot in the newspaper is fucking priceless. He's trying to look all hard and he's the biggest pussy I've ever met.[/QUOTE]

Is there an online version or might you scan and post somewhere? We all want to know what this guy looks like.

wow this was like a movie lol. highs and lows an evil villan hell bent on screwing people over only to have karma catch up to him and land him in jail. prison is going to be hell on hi because pedos in jail are often targeted by innmates.

Dammit now I need to go make some more popcorn.

theshitIputupwith.jpeg

Also I found the newspaper article in question. Isn't hard. But speedy said to not link any information from his case to this thread, so.....

You know, I can't think of a good reason to protect his identity any more. I don't want to direct link, but if you were to go to my local newspaper (chron . com) and search for "Accused child predator", you'd find his unsmiling mug looking back at you. A search for "Sex offender arrested" on the Chron will get you the updated arrest story.

edit: Mods, just yank it if I'm doing something wrong here. But fuck it. Here's his mug shot (hot linked):

260xStory.jpg

On the pay thing, I have no idea. What we have is an offer check he mailed us for $700, but on it he wrote not valid after Jan 14th. I think I'm going to head over to the issuing bank and see whether we can cash it. It's a start. As for the rest, it'll just be a lien on his property which is undoubtedly going to be sold now.

[quote name='speedracer']You know, I can't think of a good reason to protect his identity any more. I don't want to direct link, but if you were to go to my local newspaper (chron . com) and search for "Accused child predator", you'd find his unsmiling mug looking back at you. A search for "Sex offender arrested" on the Chron will get you the updated arrest story.

edit: Mods, just yank it if I'm doing something wrong here. But fuck it. Here's his mug shot (hot linked):

260xStory.jpg

On the pay thing, I have no idea. What we have is an offer check he mailed us for $700, but on it he wrote not valid after Jan 14th. I think I'm going to head over to the issuing bank and see whether we can cash it. It's a start. As for the rest, it'll just be a lien on his property which is undoubtedly going to be sold now.[/QUOTE]
full name please!

OP, good luck getting any money from the guy if he just got arrested today on the charges you indicated. He likely doesn't have much to his name.

You say he's a giant pussy, but the man repeatedly try to screw you and small children in the ass. Pussys don't try to do that, especially this persistently. As for his mugshot, I think he does a convincing white supremacist/joe-the-plumber/militia/tea-partier, which is all kinds of scary to me.

I've been lurking for a long time, but need to comment now.

Seriously? What the hell was he thinking? You don't run from the cops when you've got nowhere to run to, they know who you are, and you've got an upcoming court date. He won't see the light of day for a long time.

Sorry though speed, you may not be getting your money. I suspect that he'll rot in jail and the secured creditors will be claiming his properties.

Well even if you don't get satisfaction from your case, at least you know he's most likely going away for quite a while.

[quote name='Hostile']How do prisoners find out what other prisoners have done and is there a way you can tip them off? :)[/QUOTE]

they always find out one way or another chances are this guy will have been on the news due to what hes accused of and someone could get access to his records or something. in the end people like that always get found and and if theyre not killed theyre raped. theres certiain crimes prisoners just dont respect or condone lol which is kinda funny since theyre all in jail or something or another.

Well you ain't getting a PS3 out of him but at least you can rest easy this is one of them rare cases where one party is literally, entirely 100% at fault.

bread's done
Back