N64 game case project - live!

login/pass for n64 should be good.

I'll attempt to fix snes cover site and post it in their thread if they want to use it.
I'll double check everything later tonight though.

I sent a guy the two real n64 boxes that I had, in exchange he's supposed to upload the boxes he has so hopefully we'll see those soon.

Nate

[quote name='slash000']Okay cool. I'll create a thread at PA sometime this week as well.

Also, SnowCone is sort of reworking the cover pages at his site. So, he's a little behind in posting them up over there. The ukbeats album that Nate runs is the best place to get the most recent covers.

:)[/QUOTE]

Behold...

Here is the beta version of the new Cover Site if everyone wants to take a look and start testing for me:

http://www.snackbar-games.com/viewcover2.php

Look really great. I like the idea of what you've done with the thumbnail. However, are you just using regular JavaSCript to swap the images? The page still takes quite awhile to load because it still loads all the images, even though it doesn't show them. Same for switching between sections.

IMO, a user will generally be going into one section (at least per visit) and so make separate pages for each section would be fine (thus requiring a server roundtrip, but loading each page faster).

I dunno how much time you have, but it might be fun/cool to use Ajax tecnology (glorified dhtml and xml) to do the thumbnail swap, similar to Google maps.

I will look into the Ajax idea. The page loads are of concern because it isn't actually loading all the thumbs, just the initial one displayed in each section. My theory is that the sql queries are slowing down the page load.

The only problem I see with that is when you search, it displays the search results by platform and the dynamic tab switching lets you view them that way.

What kind of load times are you getting right now? Another user says 1-4 seconds which is good enough IMO.

I couldn't get that to process the page right this morning when I was testing.

Edit: I just tested for the first time from home and it loaded in 2 seconds. Who is your cable provider?

I uploaded Mayor McCheese's covers to Nate's album for him, since he was having trouble with it for some reason. And I'm on my ultra-fast campus connection, so.. it takes like 3 seconds to upload each one. :)

As for the new layout, I really like it so far. I haven't tested it on a regular internet connection though, only this campus connection, which is extremely fast. But at least from here, the pages load in a split second! :p

The new layout looks sharp, but I'm getting slow load times too. I do miss being able to see multiple covers at a time though. It was kind of nice to be able to browse that way. Either way, props for taking the time to put this together. :applause:

I did some more testing, with basically the same results:

The initial page load is pretty slow, but after that it is very fast (even when searching, etc).

One note about the search: it is a bit odd not seeing any search results when you search. It takes you back to the home page, and there is no indication of how many results were found or which category they were in. If the search is across all categories, it would be really nice to have a little summary appear which says something like

4 games found for GBA
2 games found for N64

or something like that.

This project is amazing, finaly I can store my N64 games in a proper way. Anyhow I have a few boxes I can easily scan, listed are the following.

Vigilante 8 (Box is damaged)
Quake II
Perfect Dark
The Legend Of Zelda OOT
Shadow Man
Resident Evil II
F-Zero X

Games that I need scans for.

Doom 64
Extreme G II
AeroGauge

I'll upload raw scans as soon as possible.

[quote name='slash000']I could start uploading ones that I've pieced together from the web..[/QUOTE]

We'll get them all eventually, we just need to be patient =)

Nate

[quote name='nate1749']We'll get them all eventually, we just need to be patient =)

Nate[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we just got a batch in, excellent!

Oh, and I put MayorMcCheese's Blitz cover in the online album.

Also, Snowcone has instituted the new layout. The n64 section doesn't quite work, as the "download cover" links do not link to the right place; as in, the images are on the server, but the links do not point to them. I'm sure it's an easy fix.

Anyway, cool, more covers.

Hi, I uploaded a few scans last night, without realizing I had the scanner set to low quality, I'm going to redo those scans and upload them today.

Take care.

Ok the following raw scans are available.

BattleTanx - Global Assult
Nuclear Strike 64
Body Harvest
Quake II
Shadow Man
Vigilante 8

I added all the raw images to the upload site below.
The Vigilante 8 Box (Back Cover) was damaged, perhaps someone with photoshop
and a little time could fix it up, if possible.
http://ukbeats.com/n64/

Anyhow, thanks again for this cover project, great stuff indeed. Enjoy the scans.

Can someone tell me how to get 3 cases? Maybe a CAG member is selling them? I read the first page, and was very interested, I have never seen this thread. Darn

If it's not possible, please do tell me

There were some people in the SNES project splitting up a 100 pack. You might want to check there. Or... order the 100 pack yourself and then sell off what you don't need. Unless you never buy classic games, you'll want a few extra. I wish I had kept some extra myself.

I'm using VHS cases to hold my N64 games, it's just a clear case with nothing inside, they hold manuals and cartridges quite well, however they do shake around a bit, the brand name is maxwell I think.

P.S
I have to modify the covers to fit onto a VHS template. :lol:

I came across Tony Hawk 3, and Goldeneye 007 at a local rogers store yesterday, I'll upload the box art soon.

[quote name='slash000']Also, Snowcone has instituted the new layout. The n64 section doesn't quite work, as the "download cover" links do not link to the right place; as in, the images are on the server, but the links do not point to them. I'm sure it's an easy fix.[/QUOTE]

That problem is fixed. Everything should be working in full capacity now.

[quote name='FatBat']I came across Tony Hawk 3, and Goldeneye 007 at a local rogers store yesterday, I'll upload the box art soon.[/QUOTE]

You can skip goldeneye since we've already got that one. Here's the list of what we have/need - I keep it updated.

http://n64.ukbeats.com/n64list.htm

Nate

I was wondering if everyone is using the nintendo DS cases for their Gameboy Advance cases or are they using something else. If so what are the doing with the game letting it slide around???

You can skip goldeneye since we've already got that one. Here's the list of what we have/need - I keep it updated.

http://n64.ukbeats.com/n64list.htm

Nate

Thanks for the list Nate, I was unaware that so many covers were collected already, anyhow, I noticed Goldeneye was up, after I posted that message. Tony Hawk 3 is now uploaded to the raw scan section, enjoy.

I guess I'll make the specific requests for Wave Race 64 and Pilotwings 64. I wish I had something to contribute to this project, but, sadly, all my N64 games are cart only.

daroga

[quote name='daroga']I guess I'll make the specific requests for Wave Race 64 and Pilotwings 64. I wish I had something to contribute to this project, but, sadly, all my N64 games are cart only.

daroga[/QUOTE]

Well, we're trying to get scans for every N64 game. So basically, until we get as many people to submit scans as possible, requests don't really apply. I mean, any request anyone could make is just one of every cover we're trying to get. But I already have a few covers I've made from web-art, they just aren't as high quality as the 300 DPI uploads people have submitted. We should be able to obtain virtually every N64 cover as 300 dpi scans, though, eventually. Hopefully.

[quote name='ItoBandito']I was wondering if everyone is using the nintendo DS cases for their Gameboy Advance cases or are they using something else. If so what are the doing with the game letting it slide around???[/QUOTE]

You somehow ended up in the wrong thread; this is for N64 cases, and the GBA DS thread is here, I believe..

Anyway, yeah, the GBA games fit perfectly into DS cases because there's a slot specifically designed for them in there.

Lastly, I have my internet connection back, again, so I can do more work on these covers.. excellent..

[quote name='slash000']Well, we're trying to get scans for every N64 game. So basically, until we get as many people to submit scans as possible, requests don't really apply. I mean, any request anyone could make is just one of every cover we're trying to get. But I already have a few covers I've made from web-art, they just aren't as high quality as the 300 DPI uploads people have submitted. We should be able to obtain virtually every N64 cover as 300 dpi scans, though, eventually. Hopefully.[/QUOTE]

Slash,

Yeah, I think I figured out the different flavor of this project vs. the GBx one shortly after I posted. If I can help put things together at all, let me know.

daroga

Agreed w/Slash on the "requests," since we are requesting them all =)

We'll get them all eventually, we just need to be patient. If a good box lot would ever go up on eBay I'll buy it, scan em in, and then resell them =)

For anyone interested in some games w/cases I am selling my extra n64 games on eBay w/the custom cases. just search for "n64 custom case." I try to buy 1-2 lots of games a month, so I should be posting auctions somewhat regularly & will always try to include a custom case w/insert if we have it =)

Nate

Alright, now that I'm starting to get into the Genesis project I think I need to get some of these cases. Does anyone have any extra from their stuff that they'd sell me? All-in-all, I need about 35 (between N64, SNES, and Genesis), but I'll take what I can get. Or is someone interested in splitting a lot from MediaShelving? PM me (As to not thread crap anymore) and we can maybe work something out!

Thanks for all your work on this guys! If you have covers for Genesis games hop over to that thread too! :)

daroga

[quote name='daroga']Alright, now that I'm starting to get into the Genesis project I think I need to get some of these cases. Does anyone have any extra from their stuff that they'd sell me? All-in-all, I need about 35 (between N64, SNES, and Genesis), but I'll take what I can get. Or is someone interested in splitting a lot from MediaShelving? PM me (As to not thread crap anymore) and we can maybe work something out!

Thanks for all your work on this guys! If you have covers for Genesis games hop over to that thread too! :)

daroga[/QUOTE]

Hey daroga, I've seen someone at PA who has extra cases. I told him to contact you here, so, perhaps he can sell you some cases.

[quote name='slash000']Hey daroga, I've seen someone at PA who has extra cases. I told him to contact you here, so, perhaps he can sell you some cases.[/QUOTE]

yes that would be me. pm me or something

[quote name='slash000']Hey daroga, I've seen someone at PA who has extra cases. I told him to contact you here, so, perhaps he can sell you some cases.[/QUOTE]

Slash, thanks for getting us in touch. :)

argh, what am i doing wrong?! i changed the size to us legal, and, even though i know i got enough room for it (there is a nice, large, white space on the bottom of the page, and a little on top), the thing still wants to cut of part of the image (the top of the front atm). im using photoshop on an imac with a cheap hp deskjet - is this the printer's fault?

I think I remember my photoshop wanting to print on two pages when I originally started (caught it in print preview), just change the margins, i think I had to set mine to 0.5", check it in print preview to make sure it worked.

Toukijin

Well, it's good that we still have a fair bunch of cases to cover from the raw section. I'd do some, maybe this week, but I have 2 exams wednesday so I can make some after then.

I need some beta testers again.. I am porting the site over to be a much faster dynamic Ajax application and I want to see what you guys think of this:

http://www.snackbar-games.com/gbacovers2.php?cat=gba&view=s

On sections of covers with more than 10 items, I have set it up so there are pages. Currently it doesn't tell you what page you are on, but I will be fixing that. The above url is an example of dynamically loading each new set of covers. Let me know how it works. If it works well, I will be making the whole project run on dynamic queries like that.

I print my covers in microsoft photo editor, if you had MS Office it's just an add-on you can install. I have to rotate the covers 90 degrees, but then it prints fine.

Nate

bread's done
Back