Netflix Streaming Thread 2.0

[quote name='2DMention']I wish instant streaming had a browse category for anime.[/QUOTE]

Choose "Anime & Animation." There are subcategories on the right, which are almost entirely types of anime.

[quote name='Cantatus']Choose "Anime & Animation." There are subcategories on the right, which are almost entirely types of anime.[/QUOTE]

I don't see that. The closest thing is "Family" or something...

I'm using Wii

I'm not surprised they charge an extra $1 ... I'm surprised it isn't more than that.

What's the most you guys will pay for 1 Disc out at a time? I think for me, my ceiling is $15/month. Any more than that, and it's not worth it for me.

They really need to add Season 3 + 4 of Dexter to the instant streaming. Just rewatched Season 1/2 again. That or I should just buy it for cheap on DVD at some point.

Anyway, REAL question here:

Anyone know if there's anyway to put up/how to watch an instant watch movie on the Xbox 360 with subtitles?

Dexter's quality peaked with Dokes. Not that interesting of a show anymore.

No, the Xbox does not support subtitles yet. Which pisses me off; that we pay for Netflix on the Xbox while PS3 gets a better version of it.

Thanks. I just think that they should give Netflix for free at this point on the Xbox, especially since PS3 and Wii get it for free.

I have to keep hooking up my Wii to watch Netflix since I don't have a spare HDMI cable for my PS3, nor do I want to keep disconnecting my Xbox 360 to watch on my PS3.

[quote name='Maklershed']a) Netflix is free on the 360.

b) Sounds like you could use an HDMI switcher. I use one and it works great. It even comes with a remote so you don't have to get up. :)[/QUOTE]
I thought Netflix required an Xbox Live gold subscription? Did that change?

[quote name='BoSoxFan900']I thought Netflix required an Xbox Live gold subscription? Did that change?[/QUOTE]

Nope, still requires a Xbox Live Gold subscription.

That's like saying you have to pay for a steering wheel in a car. Yeah its true if you look at it from the standpoint that you have to pay money for the whole car but you're not paying specifically for the item.

And if you own an Xbox, why not just put out $39.99 to get the sub for Live?

[quote name='Maklershed']
And if you own an Xbox, why not just put out $39.99 to get the sub for Live?[/QUOTE]

Well, if one does no online gaming it's not worth it vs. just getting a PS3 or Roku box etc. and getting Netflix and the other crap for no fees beyond owning the hardware.

I game online, so I don't mind the fee since the 360 has the exclusives I want to play. But I can admit that Live is only worth it if you game online. If not, there are better ways to stream Netflix on your TV.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Well, if one does no online gaming it's not worth it vs. just getting a PS3 or Roku box etc. and getting Netflix and the other crap for no fees beyond owning the hardware.

I game online, so I don't mind the fee since the 360 has the exclusives I want to play. But I can admit that Live is only worth it if you game online. If not, there are better ways to stream Netflix on your TV.[/QUOTE]

Basically, yeah. I used to have a lot more time to game on Live, so I had a subscription, but I'm better off getting the periodic 1 month/3 month subscriptions than a whole year, as it'll mostly go to waste. Actually, I'm happy I pulled out my Wii again, which has also seen some neglect, and hooked it back up for Netflix. I figure I'll just watch the non-HD stuff for the time being and then get a 1 month pass for the HD stuff or something.

anyone know how to do subtitles on the Wii? is it possible?

I don't think any of the Netflix streaming options have subtitles--unless I missed an update.

With the exception of foreign films that have them built in of course. But I've not seen a way to turn on subtitles like you can on a DVD or Blu Ray.

I wish there were subtitles, I have a lot of deaf family members that would enjoy streaming netflix. Ah well.

I heard about that on NPR earlier. I'm on AT&T, but it still pisses me off. Imagine Comcast trying to explain to it's customers why they can't use Netflix streaming. I'm sure it would be something about how Level 3 is strong arming them or something, but it's all BS. If Comcast customers want to stream from Netflix, it's Comcast's place as their ISP to allow them to do so. Watch them try to pull some sort of streaming media fee in the future.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I don't think any of the Netflix streaming options have subtitles--unless I missed an update.

With the exception of foreign films that have them built in of course. But I've not seen a way to turn on subtitles like you can on a DVD or Blu Ray.[/QUOTE]
PS3 offers subtitles for a decent amount of stuff for having just launched a few weeks ago. They even have the option for alternate audio tracks, though I don't think anything offers that just yet.

I also don't play enough online to make XBL worth it. I only play Pinball FX 2 and Rock Band. I don't play FPS games, so it's not worth it for me to pay $40-60/ year.

I can just stream netflix on my Wii (With some subtitles) and PS3.

[quote name='Maklershed']That's like saying you have to pay for a steering wheel in a car. Yeah its true if you look at it from the standpoint that you have to pay money for the whole car but you're not paying specifically for the item.

And if you own an Xbox, why not just put out $39.99 to get the sub for Live?[/QUOTE]

Because we are all not idiot morons like yourself.

ABC partnership announced.. all seasons/episodes of Scrubs, Lost and Ugly Betty as well as prior season episodes of Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, and more. Check OP for full list. No word on when that content will hit Netflix.

Yes, Lost was on there for a while, but it was pulled. I'm glad it's coming back.. I can finally start watching it!

[quote name='Scorch']ABC partnership announced.. all seasons/episodes of Scrubs, Lost and Ugly Betty as well as prior season episodes of Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, and more. Check OP for full list. No word on when that content will hit Netflix.

Yes, Lost was on there for a while, but it was pulled. I'm glad it's coming back.. I can finally start watching it![/QUOTE]

That's awesome news! I'm going to be able to marathon Lost now. anything else from the ABC deal announced/mentioned?

I'd like to hope more of Disney Channels classic animated shows (or even shows from Jetix/Disney XD) would show up since they mentioned Phineas and Ferb , but I'm probably hoping for too much.

And yet people go apeshit that Netflix raised prices $1 a month. This was the point I tried to make about the service constantly expanding and improving. The amount of content being offered through instant stream is becoming ridiculous. Netflix just beginning to tap into Disney content at all has huge potential.

[quote name='thrustbucket']It would be nice if they threw up the original Tron before Legacy.[/QUOTE]

The discussion in the DVD thread seems to indicate that Disney is purposefully trying to limit viewing of Tron before the new one comes out. It's not available anywhere and, apparently, stores have been told to return all copies they have. Also, even though it was available on Netflix (disc only) forever, you can't request it anymore. That's especially weird because I literally just returned the one I had to them the day after Thanksgiving.

It all sounds a little conspiracy theory, but there's seriously no way to watch Tron unless you A) already own it, B) rent it from a store, or C) pay the outrageous prices that the DVD and, weirdly, UMD are going for.

It's bizarre. They're working on a Blu-Ray, but the consensus seems to be that both will be released around the same time. It's also rumored that they're 'updating' the original for that release, which is another reason that the DVD is going for a lot... it may the last time (or for a while anyway) that the untouched Tron is released.

Bump. Lots of new stuff added today. Glad I made this list.. they haven't updated the "new arrivals" section in a while

Also, I'm not sure when they added it, but they added "Exit through the gift shop", which I've heard is amazing (Matt Goldberg from Collider.com named it his Top movie of 2010).. it just recently came out on DVD (Dec 14) and won't arrive on Blu to March.

Thanks for the bump Scorch and for keeping the thread updated. Added some stuff from the list today and looking forward to the 4th so I can check out Greek.

We lost alot of great movies last night.

Off of my list...Chaplin, Breakdown, Barry Lyndon (which I spent New Years Eve watching), My Left Foot, New Jack City, Caddyshack, Klute, Moral Thoughts and A Streetcar Named Desire, all gone. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Caddyshack!?!

*cue Vader NOOOOOOO!!!!! pic*

you know, I've actually started streaming thing which I already own on DVD, I'm too lazy to go fish it off the shelf....:oops:

The Netflix apps need an Expiring Soon category so you know what will be expiring soon and can prioritize watching them first. Watched one of the expiring movies last night and as soon as I finished it, I lost the ability to delete it from my queue, which is when I figured out that it must've expired while I watched it.

Lost about 30 movies/shows and it seems like I at least got a few back on the queue, so it's not all bad. Blazing Saddles should be back for anybody that wants to watch a classic Mel Brooks comedy.

I was disappointed at the lack of Xmas movies over the past few weeks when they were able to add a ton of horror movies for Halloween.

I don't know if this is the place to put this but 10 Items or Less is a pretty damn funny show and is available on instant watch. I recommend it.

I don't have time to completely update this thread (I'll do that this weekend).. I apologize for slacking off.. but I just wanted to note that ALL seasons of Roseanne, That 70's Show, 3rd Rock From The Sun and Ugly Betty have been added!

[quote name='Scorch']I don't have time to completely update this thread (I'll do that this weekend).. I apologize for slacking off.. but I just wanted to note that ALL seasons of Roseanne, That 70's Show, 3rd Rock From The Sun and Ugly Betty have been added![/QUOTE]

Sweet! Thanks man.

Hey has any else had this weird problem lately with netflix?
Usually things have been good with netflix where if I send in my disc on Monday, they get it tuesday and I get the new disc by Wednesday. Recently I've sent both "The American" and "Catch me if you can" on a Monday and they seem to not get it for several days. The earliest I can report the disc missing is that Friday, in which they send out a new disc on my list..then the next day I get an email saying they got the movie that was reported missing. Is netflix starting to delay processing peoples discs when they return them? I was averaging 2 discs per week, now I am getting 1 disc per week based on this delay.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Hey has any else had this weird problem lately with netflix?
Usually things have been good with netflix where if I send in my disc on Monday, they get it tuesday and I get the new disc by Wednesday. Recently I've sent both "The American" and "Catch me if you can" on a Monday and they seem to not get it for several days. The earliest I can report the disc missing is that Friday, in which they send out a new disc on my list..then the next day I get an email saying they got the movie that was reported missing. Is netflix starting to delay processing peoples discs when they return them? I was averaging 2 discs per week, now I am getting 1 disc per week based on this delay.[/QUOTE]

They're probably throttling your account.

They'll slow down shipping movies out to people who watch too many a week/month.

How many movies are you going through a week/month and what's your plan? I have 1 disc at a time and I'll do 1 or 2 movies a week, but often also keep one movie for 2 or 3 weeks if I guess busy, go out of town etc. So I've never hard throttling issues.

If you're not going through movies very fast, it could be some problem with your mailman or something else along the way.

The only issue I have now is a lot of new release blu rays sit on Very Long Wait for 2 or 3 weeks after release and get skipped over for other things in my queue. But I can live with that as I don't mind waiting (if I wanted to see it that bad, I would have caught it at the theater).

[quote name='Soodmeg']Didnt they already get sued for that?[/QUOTE]

Yes, and they paid a settlement and altered the user agreement to notify that they do it which protects them from future suits.

They don't seem to do it nearly as much though, based on how much lessend complaining about it has gotten on movie forums.

So it's more likely he's having a postal issue. I had problems when I moved the last time with things not showing up or getting returned. Left a note for the mailman after a few had gotten returned to Netflix as undeliverable and haven't had any issues since. Think that may have been a change of address problem.

[quote name='dmaul1114']They'll slow down shipping movies out to people who watch too many a week/month.

How many movies are you going through a week/month and what's your plan? I have 1 disc at a time and I'll do 1 or 2 movies a week, but often also keep one movie for 2 or 3 weeks if I guess busy, go out of town etc. So I've never hard throttling issues.

If you're not going through movies very fast, it could be some problem with your mailman or something else along the way.

The only issue I have now is a lot of new release blu rays sit on Very Long Wait for 2 or 3 weeks after release and get skipped over for other things in my queue. But I can live with that as I don't mind waiting (if I wanted to see it that bad, I would have caught it at the theater).[/QUOTE]

I have the 1 disc plan. I average 2 discs per week (when things flow right). Streaming, I am not heavy streaming..but I am starting to get into BSG...even yesterday the connection crapped out saying my internet connection was too slow..(WTF Verizon!)

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yes, and they paid a settlement and altered the user agreement to notify that they do it which protects them from future suits.

They don't seem to do it nearly as much though, based on how much lessend complaining about it has gotten on movie forums.

So it's more likely he's having a postal issue. I had problems when I moved the last time with things not showing up or getting returned. Left a note for the mailman after a few had gotten returned to Netflix as undeliverable and haven't had any issues since. Think that may have been a change of address problem.[/QUOTE]

I am really starting to suspect our mail man/Post Office. I've notice that some of my bill payments sent by check either get there days later then expected OR never arrive. Just the other day my gf got her W2 form in the mail and it was a clear sign someone tried to open it and retaped it...we were like WTF?!?!!? Heck even a package that was suppose to take 2 days from FL from my friend took 6 days to get here!

[quote name='ITDEFX']I have the 1 disc plan. I average 2 discs per week (when things flow right). Streaming, I am not heavy streaming..but I am starting to get into BSG...even yesterday the connection crapped out saying my internet connection was too slow..(WTF Verizon!)
![/QUOTE]

Always get a warm fuzzy to see someone new behold the beauty of the best show ever made.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Always get a warm fuzzy to see someone new behold the beauty of the best show ever made.[/QUOTE]

Well I am only on episode 7 of the first season. I refused to watch the series until the pilot episodes were on netflix. I am SO GLAD they are showing it in HD.

It's a good show.... can't say it's the best show until I reach the end of the series. Just giving it a chance. So far it's pretty good.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Always get a warm fuzzy to see someone new behold the beauty of the best show ever made.[/QUOTE]

cylon.gif

bread's done
Back