New Monthly $5 Dollar Cert for Power Up Rewards Pro

Fatbot3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Please delete if this is irrelevant but I was at GameStop today picking up my Pokemon Switch Lite and learned a $15 Power Up membership now comes with a monthly 5 dollar cert that works on anything in the store. The cert expires monthly and while the manager in the store said it was live ( I got a 5 dollar cert for signing up immediately) I saw on the site it doesn't start until Jan 2020. $60 for $15 seems like a desent deal though with just a few limitations. Here's the details for those interested.

https://www.gamestop.com/poweruprewards/

The $5 wasn't showing on my account either but the gamestop employee was nice enough to manually give me $5 off so they must have some discretion for manual discounts.

I went in today to trade a few items, and asked for clairification on the $5 montly cert (even though I still haven't seen mine). The store associate, and store manager from another local store was there. They both said it could be used on anything in the store (with the exception of 3rd party giftcards (amazon, taco bell, shell, etc.) including new and used, and the manager specifically said you can use it each month to buy PSN/Nintendo Eshop/Xbox cards for $5 after the discount on $10 cards.

This info all seems to different than what I've seen online so who knows.

ec54551c71.jpg
more like

Last edited by a moderator:
For those with elite, how to do you go about getting your refund? Its not like they extended our subscription time to reflect what we paid for it. I'm better off getting my money back and re-buying into it if anything.

From the looks of it, I wouldn't want this program anyway. There is no discount on the games.

For those with elite, how to do you go about getting your refund? Its not like they extended our subscription time to reflect what we paid for it. I'm better off getting my money back and re-buying into it if anything.

From the looks of it, I wouldn't want this program anyway. There is no discount on the games.
I've called customer support 4 times, went to the store twice and was told all times that they have no way of doing it. I have a case with a phone rep that escalated the issue so assuming they even call back, I have something to look forward to.

Really rather have my money back on this one. They downgrade us to a program that is $15/year though we paid $30/year for it. They give us these $5 certs which are nice but they expire after each month. I could buy 1 used game with Elite Pro and save more than $5 on recently release titles so I'm loosing value. Helps that I can buy games cheaper all day new at any other store. Used prices were great though for 20% off but for new games, even with the $5 cert, it isn't a better value as we can shop at other stores.

I don't see how anyone can defend loosing money ($15/year vs $30/year) and actually being ok with that but some don't mind being ripped off.

On Thursday, I was able to use this coupon on a $10 PSN card but not on a $10 eShop card.  Just an update for people who might try to use the coupon for digital currency.

I signed up early november; after the announcement but before it actually went into effect, and got mine instantly on Jan. 1st. For those who haven't gotten it I wouldn't panic, as there is literally nothing good to use it on right now anyways. Might just let mine expire this month unless there are some good drops the week after next.
$5 for a $10 PSN card is good enough for me. I plan on using it that way until July when my subscription ends since I don't plan on renewing it.

I haven't gotten the $5 monthly certificate yet.

I -did- get a $5 cert on my receipt when I signed up for Pro on Jan 4th, though.  It sounds like I'm supposed to get a January one too, theoretically.

I last renewed my Pro subscription last August and I still haven't gotten any $5 reward cert. Do older Pro members not get anything?

I haven't gotten the $5 monthly certificate yet.

I -did- get a $5 cert on my receipt when I signed up for Pro on Jan 4th, though. It sounds like I'm supposed to get a January one too, theoretically.
That should be your first one. The next one will start for February (and then one each month after).

Theoretically if these certs can be used on gift cards/PSN/Xbox, then essentially any $60 digital purchase costs "$15" now.

No reason not to create twelve PUR accounts for $180, then buy yourself $60 in XBL credit every month. Still plenty okay way to screw this stupid company.

Got a random $5 cert (non-member) and wouldn't work on something on sale. Dude said i could use it towards a membership, and then would get $10 off right away of the thing i was buying + the monthly $5 as mentioned here. Seemed like a no-brainer.

I last renewed my Pro subscription last August and I still haven't gotten any $5 reward cert. Do older Pro members not get anything?
Me either, and I renewed in March of last year. Maybe once if I renew again I'll get it, but I'm not sure if I'll bother with the price increase and benefit cuts.

It is now the 21st day of the new decade. I have still yet to receive a coupon. My mind reels pondering all of the things I could spend the $5 on, but alas the universe has other plans.

It is now the 21st day of the new decade. I have still yet to receive a coupon. My mind reels pondering all of the things I could spend the $5 on, but alas the universe has other plans.
Don't worry, you'd probably go in the store say "I want to partake in this amazing B2G1 free promo" and then realize the $5 applied to the game you got for free! Universe solved.

Planning on going this week to another gamestop and asking again since I still haven't seen anything turn up in my active offers. They way it looks no one is getting the coupon this month except those who renewed.

GameStop gave me crap about using the $5 on a pre owed title even though they are supposed to honor on all products. We both were yelling at the top of our lungs at each other .

STILL haven’t received mine for this month. I’m an existing PRO member. Nothing in active offers.
We're not getting them until next month.

No explanation given, but that seems to be the case.

I spoke to an employee the first day we were supposed to get them (last week) and they immediately just gave me 5 bucks off a game, which I used on Darksiders 3 for 4.99....so, got it for free...yay?

Went to GS today to renew my membership which expires next month.  I already used my $5 cert for january, but had some credit to use.  I asked the clerk if my $5 was available and she said yes, so it took $5 off the membership.  Had a little left over so I grabbed a $15 xbox card with it and it all went through fine.  After the clerk pointed out another $5 cert on the receipt, so I grabbed a $10 PSN card and it worked also, no problem.

Went to GS today to renew my membership which expires next month. I already used my $5 cert for january, but had some credit to use. I asked the clerk if my $5 was available and she said yes, so it took $5 off the membership. Had a little left over so I grabbed a $15 xbox card with it and it all went through fine. After the clerk pointed out another $5 cert on the receipt, so I grabbed a $10 PSN card and it worked also, no problem.
How’d u get a $5 cert for January. I only have $10

I tired again and the associate said I can’t use it on used games until April. This is ridiculous what’s the point of this reward program.

So is everyone getting this $5 cert? I don't have anything and I don't get a 10% discount anymore. Nothing in my active offers in the app and I don't see anything on the website. 

I tired again and the associate said I can’t use it on used games until April. This is ridiculous what’s the point of this reward program.
Show them the emails saying that's not true, or their multiple advertisements saying you can.

What emails I need proof for next time
WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW! While I was looking for the emails, I noticed on their website, they changed the preowned fine print to not being able to use the reward certificates until Spring. Utter BS!!!

However, their original email, sent out on the 16th, said 5 dollar certs couldn't be used for used games...until the 16th.

So, they wait for the 16th and then nuke the deal? That's so shady it's disgusting.

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW! While I was looking for the emails, I noticed on their website, they changed the preowned fine print to not being able to use the reward certificates until Spring. Utter BS!!!

However, their original email, sent out on the 16th, said 5 dollar certs couldn't be used for used games...until the 16th.
So, they wait for the 16th and then nuke the deal? That's so shady it's disgusting.
You need to look up the word, shady.

That's not being shady, that's just disorganized, confused marketing resulting from poor management.

So is everyone getting this $5 cert? I don't have anything and I don't get a 10% discount anymore. Nothing in my active offers in the app and I don't see anything on the website.
No, nothing for me either. My Pro started in August, so before the change. When I emailed them they said:

"By the end of the month, you will receive a coupon a $5.
Every month you will receive the new $5 coupon that is for in-store transactions only, you can use it in any of our stores, If you don't receive the coupon, please get in contact with us."

I'm pretty sure I'll be contacting them again in February.

You need to look up the word, shady.

That's not being shady, that's just disorganized, confused marketing resulting from poor management.
Nah, that's just shady. Advertising a new program to work on used games on a certain date, then after that date CHANGING it to some unknown date (all the way up until June, I'd imagine)...is just shady, period.

Gamestop needs a complete redo, have another buyer buy them out change the store back to funkoland and have easy to use reward program on ANYTHING!

Had a clerk tell me yesterday that the $10 cert for old Elite Pro members was going to be each month until the end of 2020.  Thought the email had stated it was a one time only thing, unless something has changed since then?

DawG, they are a horrible company that can’t get its stuff together, they offer people promotions and then take it away, no notice nothing, and they wonder why they are shutting stores left and right, they will be officially done in 2021.

Would’ve been nice to combine the $5 with the $10 elite pro cert instead of buying $5 cert with my points to combine to buy a game. Dude seemed to not like me stacking certs but when it came to asking me for protection plan and games to pre order, he got a bit energetic

Can i use the $5 cert on preorders? Adding $5 each month to a preorder?
If they did allow $5 monthly certs to be used on pre-orders, then you'd see a lot of CAGs create like 30 accounts to spend $15/year on a $60 new release around the holidays... so as much as we'd like - it probably won't happen. The monthly cert was made to drive more consistent traffic throughout the year and hopefully prompt impulse buys / pre-orders.

Though it would be interesting to see if they would someday try to test a new Elite Pro. I was thinking something like $99 year - complimentary 6mo GPGs & PRP on all purchases, no min limit on edge shipping, 20% extra on trade-ins, 10% off pre-orders, and $10 monthly cert. :beer:

Once my Pro’s up, I think I’m done with them. I usually just use my rewards points to resub, but I don’t think I’ll even have enough this time. I rarely go into GS anymore. The removal of the discount on used games is shitty, imo. They have the worst functioning app and website I’ve ever seen for a company of their size. They filled every store with a bunch of crap...etc. It’s just sad how far they’re fallen.

bread's done
Back