New XBOX Experience - General Discussion

[quote name='gordojones88']So no new post on the New Xbox Experience in 4 days?

So I guess new New is now old ...[/QUOTE]

Yea, it has actually been renamed OXE now

[quote name='thrustbucket']My cousin is unable to get his hd dvd drive to work ever since NXE. Anyone heard of that problem or experienced something like it?[/QUOTE]
I haven't used it since the update, I will try it tonight though.

[quote name='thrustbucket']My cousin is unable to get his hd dvd drive to work ever since NXE. Anyone heard of that problem or experienced something like it?[/quote]

mine works fine....

I love NXE! it really didn't much overall other than net flix but the UI is just so much better looking. the blades were just getting stale

From NeoGaf:

--------------

So anyone else experiencing slowdown when accessing the marketplace or your friendlisth while ingame? Shit is super slow for me.

Also the marketplace doesn't seem to be as organized as before NXE, when you go to new releases it shows old stuff. RockBand DLC for No Doubt wasn't under New Releases...same goes for other things I've found lately, seems like I have to keep digging to find the newer stuff.

That's kind of cool. I'll try to remember to download it...actually, if I could get Xbox.com to quit being stupid and let me log in, I could maybe queue it up from here (my 360's on right now downloading the last episode of Heroes I rented :D )

EDIT: Finally got logged in, but I can't figure out where it is on the web. I'll try to remember tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, i'll try to look to see who's online and it'll take about 30 seconds...horrible freeze

Nothing though is worse than EA doing sportscenter updates when I'm playing my music! I know it's not Xbox related and it's an EA problem, but I hate it!!!!!!!!!

I'll be laid back playing some nice music and BOOM "duh duh duh duh, dum dum dum, dum dum dum!"

[quote name='strongpimphand']Yea, i'll try to look to see who's online and it'll take about 30 seconds...horrible freeze

Nothing though is worse than EA doing sportscenter updates when I'm playing my music! I know it's not Xbox related and it's an EA problem, but I hate it!!!!!!!!!

I'll be laid back playing some nice music and BOOM "duh duh duh duh, dum dum dum, dum dum dum!"[/quote]I'm pretty sure you can shut off the ESPN updates in the game's options menu.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']From NeoGaf:

So anyone else experiencing slowdown when accessing the marketplace or your friendlisth while ingame? Shit is super slow for me.

Also the marketplace doesn't seem to be as organized as before NXE, when you go to new releases it shows old stuff. RockBand DLC for No Doubt wasn't under New Releases...same goes for other things I've found lately, seems like I have to keep digging to find the newer stuff.[/QUOTE]

I have trouble viewing my friends list from the dashboard, usually I get the bubble that says their name and then a long delay before I see their avatar.

lol tried to download the free winter theme and did anyone else get this(i'm on a pc atm)
Content not found

The content you are looking for is not available. You may have used an outdated link or typed the URL incorrectly.

[I've got to say - I hate these fucking omnibus threads. They're useless and incoherent. But since my thread was locked and it said to use this thread, I will. But I still think these fucking threads that are thousands of posts long, cobbled together from various other closed threads are incomprehensible and useless...]

I bought Braid on my desktop using xbox.com. I was signed into my account at the time and I added points to my account - which show up on my 360 so I know I was in the right account. When I went to have my 360 download it, it didn't automatically download like it was supposed to. I went to "active downloads" to see and it said that it was assigned to another console. WTH? Am I now only going to be able to play Braid when I'm online?

BTW, this account is new and the error is not the result of an RROD or anything. Wait a minute... I did have my last 360 RROD after like 23 hours with this profile on it. I didn't use it to download any XBLA anything. Could that still be the problem?

[quote name='torifile'][I've got to say - I hate these fucking omnibus threads. They're useless and incoherent. But since my thread was locked and it said to use this thread, I will. But I still think these fucking threads that are thousands of posts long, cobbled together from various other closed threads are incomprehensible and useless...]

I bought Braid on my desktop using xbox.com. I was signed into my account at the time and I added points to my account - which show up on my 360 so I know I was in the right account. When I went to have my 360 download it, it didn't automatically download like it was supposed to. I went to "active downloads" to see and it said that it was assigned to another console. WTH? Am I now only going to be able to play Braid when I'm online?

BTW, this account is new and the error is not the result of an RROD or anything. Wait a minute... I did have my last 360 RROD after like 23 hours with this profile on it. I didn't use it to download any XBLA anything. Could that still be the problem?[/quote]

Maybe. This has happened to me, but has since fixed itself. Just go to your download history and download it from there. Try playing it offline. I would think it would work, but I'm not sure.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']So anyone else experiencing slowdown when accessing the marketplace or your friendlisth while ingame? Shit is super slow for me. [/quote]

Yes, I too have experienced slowdowns/freezes whilst accessing and browsing the in-game Dashboard. It can be quite bothersome. Most of the time, I figure I have enough time to finish a reply to a message, but while exiting out of the in-game Dashboard, it freezes, and I arrive late to the party.

Well for the first few days of the NXE and Netflix, i was essentially getting 4 bars (full quality) on all my shows but these days i am seemingly lucky to get 2. 1 is pretty much unwatchable. I myself have a ~10 meg connection so its hardly my internet that seems to be the issue ... i think.

I was curious if anyone else has been having issues as well. There was article on wired that said the Roku netflix streamers have had a drop in quality too. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

EDIT - there has also been word that apple Tv users are also seen longer load times ... it is possible that ISP's are secretly throating connections?

I think a large part of it also depends on the number of users streaming, too. Fridays and Saturday nights, it's a struggle for me to get three bars.

In the beta I always got 3 to 4 bars. Now I rarely get two bars. Its really disappointing. I think it has to do with the amount of people streaming from netflix.

Mine has varied wildly as of late - sometimes its one bar, other times its four bars w/ HD (depending on programming). I blame it more on my connection than on Netflix.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']So, in case you haven't noticed, yet, a bunch of the Sony-owned content is disappearing again after the New Year.[/quote]
You're implying that there's something nefarious going on here? Hardly. iTunes is also experiencing these licensing issues (in addition to Sony, other studios are causing both Netflix and iTunes problems). It's the moronic MPAA trying to one-up the RIAA in alienating their customers. Stupid, yes. Moronic, yes. But not an attempt by Sony to undermine the 360.

CNet's take

[quote name='LinkinPrime']From NeoGaf:

--------------

Also the marketplace doesn't seem to be as organized as before NXE, when you go to new releases it shows old stuff. RockBand DLC for No Doubt wasn't under New Releases...same goes for other things I've found lately, seems like I have to keep digging to find the newer stuff.[/QUOTE] Yeah the new releases are jumbled with old stuff..In demos the mirrors edge demo keeps jumping a slot as more are being released.

I tried using Google to search for answers, but found nothing recent. Does anyone know when Microsoft will add the ability to party up for Netflix? I have been waiting for it. Thanks in advance.

I've yet to hear any specific date. Microsoft doesn't like specific dates, and usually if they have one they will advertise the shit out of it (like NXE).

I think the only rough estimate I heard was something like Spring.

About last month during the NXE update my file sharing to my Xbox 360 was able to recognize .mp4 extensions using just windows media player as the media sharing program.

I tried setting up my buddy's file sharing today and it doesn't show .mp4 extensions for some reason?
Does anyone know if he may have to download a codec or something to make it work with .mp4s?

Any help would be nice, thanks.
My computer and their computer is running Vista, if that helps any.

[quote name='torifile']You're implying that there's something nefarious going on here? Hardly. iTunes is also experiencing these licensing issues (in addition to Sony, other studios are causing both Netflix and iTunes problems). It's the moronic MPAA trying to one-up the RIAA in alienating their customers. Stupid, yes. Moronic, yes. But not an attempt by Sony to undermine the 360.

CNet's take[/quote]

Didn't know that. But if you were following the whole thread and the original release of NXE, you would know that a great deal of Sony-owned content was made completely unavailable for use with the 360 when the services were originally linked. Sony was not happy about their movies being used to help the 360, and they wanted their piece of the action. A few days later, though, everything was put back up. So, I was wasn't suggesting anything nefarious. I was suggesting more of the same from Sony.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']About last month during the NXE update my file sharing to my Xbox 360 was able to recognize .mp4 extensions using just windows media player as the media sharing program.

I tried setting up my buddy's file sharing today and it doesn't show .mp4 extensions for some reason?
Does anyone know if he may have to download a codec or something to make it work with .mp4s?

Any help would be nice, thanks.
My computer and their computer is running Vista, if that helps any.[/QUOTE]

I've had weird issues with .mp4 files. I have been able to play them from a usb flash, but not over my network with my pc. It doesn't even seem to see them over the network.

And yes, you do new the codec update, but usually the prompt for that to install occurs when you try to play an avi/mp4 file.

Luckily I always avoid mp4 files like the plague so it really isn't an issue.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I've had weird issues with .mp4 files. I have been able to play them from a usb flash, but not over my network with my pc. It doesn't even seem to see them over the network.

And yes, you do new the codec update, but usually the prompt for that to install occurs when you try to play an avi/mp4 file.

Luckily I always avoid mp4 files like the plague so it really isn't an issue.[/QUOTE]

I'm asking if you need a codec update for your PC? I have made no changes to my 360 except the NXE download. I was thinking .mp4 support was added or something. Maybe I downloaded the Vista codec pack. Since my computer should be no different than my friend's PC, only the fact that i downloaded a bunch of programs to convert videos from mkv, etc.

My Xbox actually recognizes the .mp4 in my video library of my Xbox 360, which was surprising to me.
I usually just change the .mp4 extension to .avi, but now all my .mp4s show up I actually don't have to dodge them anymore

i usually get 4 bars(w HD for certain content). but yea i guess it all depends on what your watching and what time. i remember one episode of Heroes i was like stuck on 2-3, next show was HD.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Yeah, I had Saints Row 2 and Hellboy with 0pts...got rid of both games cause I don't want to have that on my record.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I went from over 120 games on my gamercard to just over 80. Makes it much easier to compare games with friends. Other than that it doesn't really matter.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945416?sd=xbox

Q22: How can I make Windows Media Player 11 stream MPEG-4 Part 2 and H.264 to my console?
A22:
By default, Windows Media Player 11 does not support MPEG-4 Part 2 and H.264. You can either convert your MPEG-4 Part 2 and H.264 content to WMV, or you can install a third-party MP4 DirectShow decoder pack to import MPEG-4 part 2 and H.264 files into your library. When they are in your library, they can be streamed to your console exactly like WMV files.

I was wondering if anybody else is experiencing any slowdowns with with the dashboard? The majority of time I get a message for an invite and I accept, my dashboard freezes and the in game sound sometime skips for almost a minute.

[quote name='jdeluis']I was wondering if anybody else is experiencing any slowdowns with with the dashboard? The majority of time I get a message for an invite and I accept, my dashboard freezes and the in game sound sometime skips for almost a minute.[/quote]
Yeah, I've noticed a lot of random slowdowns. It's a bit weird, as I don't remember anything like that before the 19th, when it went out to everyone. When I was previewing it, everything was quite smooth.

[quote name='Chase']Again, the freezes suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.[/quote]

Yep. Seems like a probably that will never go away. :cry:

Someone from Microsoft said the freezes were due to the number of people accessing Xbox Live. Unless I misinterpreted what was said, I fail to see how the freezes are caused by people accessing Live. It seems like more of a software problem. :whistle2:(

[quote name='Chase']Someone from Microsoft said the freezes were due to the number of people accessing Xbox Live. Unless I misinterpreted what was said, I fail to see how the freezes are caused by people accessing Live. It seems like more of a software problem. :whistle2:([/quote]
Is that the same reason for why the marketplace is so slow after the update?

So does loading up the entry of a game on the marketplace still take a long time for anyone else? Actually downloading content is very quick for me, but when I click on a game it takes 15-20 seconds to load the list of content for the game. It's starting to get really annoying, it doesn't seem like it should take that long to load.

[quote name='Kaijufan']So does loading up the entry of a game on the marketplace still take a long time for anyone else? Actually downloading content is very quick for me, but when I click on a game it takes 15-20 seconds to load the list of content for the game. It's starting to get really annoying, it doesn't seem like it should take that long to load.[/QUOTE]

Yeah a lot of the times it does. Not just for games but for any content. They need to beef up their database.

[quote name='Kaijufan']So does loading up the entry of a game on the marketplace still take a long time for anyone else? Actually downloading content is very quick for me, but when I click on a game it takes 15-20 seconds to load the list of content for the game. It's starting to get really annoying, it doesn't seem like it should take that long to load.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if I'm thinking of the same place on the interface that you're talking about, it takes a long time for that stuff to fill in on mine.

bread's done
Back