NFL 2010-2011 Season Discussion Thread

I've watched a lot of Eagles games this year, unfortunately, and I think they have a ton of "big play" ability but they are the very definition of an all or nothing team. To me, those types of teams make things exciting but at some point in the playoffs you are going to face a team that shuts down your weapons and have to adjust. If Vick gets shut down they are an average team at best. I will say that if they can get by the Packers they are incredibly lucky to go to Chicago - everyone knows the Bears are total frauds (and yes, I remember they beat the Eagles earlier in the year) and the Saints are probably the 2nd best team in the conference.

EDIT: Yes, I'm also bitter that the Giants didn't get in although it was definitely their own fault. I would have loved to watch a Giants/Eagles rematch and I'm also betting that most Eagles fans are really happy this isn't going to happen. What a joke that the 7-9 Seahawks made the playoffs and the Giants and Bucs (both 10-6) don't (and both teams creamed the Seahawks this year). I don't want the NFL to change any rules though - if you win your division you should make the playoffs but it's still a total joke that the NFC West gets to send someone. I was really hoping the Rams made it at 8-8 to make me feel a little better.

I'm not sure the Bears are total frauds, though obviously I'd agree they're a very weak 2 seed. They definitely had some luck this year and got smacked around by some pretty good teams (the Pats most notably) but they have a solid defense and on the right day their offense is at least passable. They're better than people think, though I too don't think they'll be going too far.

I think part of my NFC pick might stem from the fact that I really just don't see the Falcons play all that much (except on NFL Red Zone) which biases me against them for no good reason.

Honestly I could see 4 different teams (Falcons, Eagles, Saints, Packers) coming out of the NFC.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']And Mangini bites the dust[/QUOTE]

Good. Enough bad things can't happen to that jackass for my taste.

well the only bright spot this season is the 49ers getting the 7th pick in the draft. now, we just gotta get a gm, coach, new qb... the NFC West is ours!

[quote name='javeryh']
EDIT: Yes, I'm also bitter that the Giants didn't get in although it was definitely their own fault. I would have loved to watch a Giants/Eagles rematch and I'm also betting that most Eagles fans are really happy this isn't going to happen. .[/QUOTE]

As an Eagle fan I'm very happy the Giants didn't make it. I was pulling for the Packers,lol.

People like to point out the Packers beat the Eagles earlier this year. The Packers beat on a Kevin Kolb led Eagles for a half, then almost lost to the Vick led Eagles in just hte second half. Also after their showing against the Jets, Atlanta, and Bears (yes they won but their O couldn't put up points) I think the Pack can be beat.

I also think the Birds can take the Bears. The Eagles went out thinking they had that game in the bag. They didn't seem to really start to play until the late 3rd and again only lost by a few points.

The Kolb led Eagles also dominated the Falcons earlier this year.

So I feel pretty good about the Playoffs right now, though I will say the AFC teams are absolute beats and I don't see many of the NFC teams matching up well wtih them.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']well the only bright spot this season is the 49ers getting the 7th pick in the draft. now, we just gotta get a gm, coach, new qb... the NFC West is ours![/QUOTE]

The 49ers weren't THAT bad. They did only finish a game outside of 1st after all. :lol:

Since the Pats can't play the Colts in two weeks, the one team I least want them to face is the Ravens, just because of last year (though there's no team other than the Jets I'd rather see them beat). I'm rooting for both home teams next weekend, since I think the Chiefs are the team I'd like to see most.

[quote name='kingbroly']if davis fires cable, he's the stupidest man on the planet.

But that wouldn't change anything.[/quote]

+1

I will have rooting interest in the Eagles and Ravens this Post season.

I like Sanchez and Brady, but cant see my self rooting for a N.Y or Boston area team, being from L.A.

I love Steelers defense and Troy P (USC), but i don't want them to have 7 super bowl chips. (hatersgonahate)

Vick and the Eagles as the feel good story of the year, and Ravens with some upsets on there way to the Super bowl.

......where Jerry Jones will refuse to turn on the lights out of Sourness that his 'Boys not in the SB.

[quote name='KingBroly']If Davis fires Cable, he's the stupidest man on the planet.

But that wouldn't change anything.[/QUOTE]

:applause::lol:

[quote name='dmaul1114']Just realized the Raiders were undefeated in division play. First team since 1970 to do that and not make the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause::lol::lol:

Um.

Go Jets?

Without San Diego in the playoffs, my NFL watching is rudder-less for the first time in forever.

How about this, go any team that is facing either the Steelers or the Pats.

Really disappointed by the Mangini firing, as I was hoping to see him and Rob Ryan come back with Brian Daboll being shown out the door for costing them several wins with bad playcalling in the second half. He's been the most successful coach that they've had since their return with their best draft so far, a complete turnaround in the atmosphere of the locker room, and giving the franchise a sense of potential for the future that they hadn't had since maybe 1999 before everybody became pessimists about the team.

I don't know who they could turn to continue that progress without resorting to ripping the team apart (Rob Ryan?), but I don't like the revolving door that this has become that further hurts the chances for the franchise to completely turn around.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']People like to point out the Packers beat the Eagles earlier this year. The Packers beat on a Kevin Kolb led Eagles for a half, then almost lost to the Vick led Eagles in just the second half.
[/QUOTE]

Yea, but Green Bay can actually prepare to face Vick instead of a game plan focusing on Kolb.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']well the only bright spot this season is the 49ers getting the 7th pick in the draft. now, we just gotta get a gm, coach, new qb... the NFC West is ours![/QUOTE]

It should have been yours this season. Honestly, the 49ers laid some absolute turds in the beginning of the year and by the time they had it sort of figured out it was too late and a total shit team like the Seahawks gets in the playoffs. Awful.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']As an Eagle fan I'm very happy the Giants didn't make it. I was pulling for the Packers,lol.

People like to point out the Packers beat the Eagles earlier this year. The Packers beat on a Kevin Kolb led Eagles for a half, then almost lost to the Vick led Eagles in just hte second half. Also after their showing against the Jets, Atlanta, and Bears (yes they won but their O couldn't put up points) I think the Pack can be beat.

I also think the Birds can take the Bears. The Eagles went out thinking they had that game in the bag. They didn't seem to really start to play until the late 3rd and again only lost by a few points.

The Kolb led Eagles also dominated the Falcons earlier this year.

So I feel pretty good about the Playoffs right now, though I will say the AFC teams are absolute beats and I don't see many of the NFC teams matching up well wtih them.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, the post of a hopeful Eagles fan about to get his spirits crushed. How could you forget?

nfl-parity-chart.jpg

[quote name='Nate Nanjo']Yea, but Green Bay can actually prepare to face Vick instead of a game plan focusing on Kolb.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i guess a Kolb plan isn't that hard. Blitz a guy to panic him and he'll throw a INT

[quote name='KingBroly']If Davis fires Cable, he's the stupidest man on the planet.

But that wouldn't change anything.[/QUOTE]

It's official. Cable's been unplugged.

It's official: Al Davis retains his "Stupidest Person in the World" title.

No one appears shocked.

I don't like the Raiders, but man is that a really terrible decision. They would probably win the division next year if he stayed on.

Unbelievable, the first sign of things turning around with the Raiders and they let the coach go. I'm just dumbfounded they wouldn't at least renew the option for a year and give him a shot with next season.

Now it'll all be back to square one with the Raiders.

[quote name='gabbgg']The NFL needs to start cleaning up..[/QUOTE]

right on brother!

[quote name='KingBroly']It's official: Al Davis retains his "Stupidest Person in the World" title.

No one appears shocked.

I don't like the Raiders, but man is that a really terrible decision. They would probably win the division next year if he stayed on.[/QUOTE]

unbelievable, the raiders finally look to be coming around and al davis keeps his genius streak alive.

[quote name='javeryh']It should have been yours this season. Honestly, the 49ers laid some absolute turds in the beginning of the year and by the time they had it sort of figured out it was too late and a total shit team like the Seahawks gets in the playoffs. Awful.[/QUOTE]

they had a number of games they lost by a touchdown or less. but it doesnt matter, good teams win those games.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']they had a number of games they lost by a touchdown or less. but it doesnt matter, good teams win those games.[/QUOTE]

Yup. I'm saying the same thing about the 10-6 Giants. Good teams don't blow games they are winning 31-10 with 8 minutes left. It sucks too because I think they would have had as good of a chance as any other NFC team to reach the Super Bowl.

Also, Al Davis is an idiot but maybe Cable has taken the Raiders as far as he can? He got the team headed in the right direction and maybe now it is time to bring in someone else to get them to the next level. Also, he didn't fire Cable - he just chose not to renew his contract and since it is starting to look like there will be a lockout for the 2011 season maybe Al Davis doesn't want to have to pay a head coach if there isn't going to be a season? I still would have given Cable another 2 year deal though - if he doesn't improve on 8-8 next year then you can fire him.

:lol::lol::lol:

Al Davis Gona Al Davis.

Where does Cable go now? Back to being a D. Coordinator or maybe someone gives him a another shot of head coach? Maybe a college gig.

Some reporters are saying Davis made the move since the Niners asked to interview the Raiders OC Hue Jackson and Davis doesn't want to lose him. Cable was cut four hours after the Niners request.

Niners are meeting with both Hue Jackson and Jim Harbaugh today.

Yeah, odds are those are the next two coaches of those franchises.

Who ever doesn't get Harbaugh has Jackson as head coach. My guess is Harbaugh to the 49ers, Jackson HC of Raiders.

But could go the other way as apparently Harbaugh is close with Davis and he was the QB coach there back around 2002-2003. As a fan I'd kind of prefer Davis just to keep some continuity. Would have preferred keeping Cable after the big improvement this year.

Niners fans are pretty pumped about Harbaugh. A lot of those same fans are saying they want the 49ers to trade up and get Luck. Harbaugh/Luck to continue in the Bay Area? Boy I wouldn't complain one bit about that.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']Niners fans are pretty pumped about Harbaugh. A lot of those same fans are saying they want the 49ers to trade up and get Luck. Harbaugh/Luck to continue in the Bay Area? Boy I wouldn't complain one bit about that.[/QUOTE]

That seems like a bit of a stretch considering there are 3 teams ahead of them who definitely would like to draft a QB (Carolina, Arizona, Cincinnati) and two others (Cleveland, Buffalo) who could conceivably think about it.

fuck Harbaugh. I for one, don't want him as Niner coach. Plenty of open NFL experienced coaches out there i rather have at the helm.

But i can only imagine the sports radio hype going on in North Cal right now...

49er fan here... I'm not totally sold on Harbaugh, but it needs to get done. If it doesn't, York will totally lose the fanbase...

he talked a huge game about "money being no object" and "wanting a strong GM" and "he would discuss the GM search with people around the league, really find the right guy"

Who was the right guy? Trent Baalke, who basically WAS the GM last year, only not in title.

Therefore, unless they land Harbaugh, it's going to get very ugly in San Fran.

As far as trading up for Luck... I would love to... there's just no possible way it's going to happen unless they want to trade their whole draft board away, and maybe more than that.

I honestly don't know where they go for a QB. They need a guy at #7 definitely, but if they pick wrong again, they will set the team back another 5 years. I hope a rookie cap gets put in place in this CBA agreement, so if a team picks wrong, they can draft another QB 2 years later and not ruin their payroll.

I don't know if Mallet is the way to go at #7... if he is even still there, lots of teams need QBs.

Everyone that doesn't have an elite QB wants Luck but he will go to the Panthers if he declares and if he stays another year then whoever has the number 1 pick that year will take him.
[quote name='Viol8tor']fuck Harbaugh. I for one, don't want him as Niner coach. Plenty of open NFL experienced coaches out there i rather have at the helm.

But i can only imagine the sports radio hype going on in North Cal right now...[/QUOTE]That's cool. Have fun rooting for the Chargers with Norv and his nfl experience.

edit:
You got to strike while the iron is hot and right now Harbaugh is hot and the Niners have a chance to get him. Is he guaranteed to be a great coach? No but neither is anyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Really disappointed by the Mangini firing, as I was hoping to see him and Rob Ryan come back with Brian Daboll being shown out the door for costing them several wins with bad playcalling in the second half. He's been the most successful coach that they've had since their return with their best draft so far, a complete turnaround in the atmosphere of the locker room, and giving the franchise a sense of potential for the future that they hadn't had since maybe 1999 before everybody became pessimists about the team.

I don't know who they could turn to continue that progress without resorting to ripping the team apart (Rob Ryan?), but I don't like the revolving door that this has become that further hurts the chances for the franchise to completely turn around.[/QUOTE]

Don't be surprised if they do a short interview process and Holmgren decides the best guy to do the job is wait for it.......HIMSELF! Sure he is ruling himself out at the moment as head coach, but he has not said I WILL NOT BE THE BROWNS NEXT HEAD COACH.

Dolphins are pushing hard for Harbaugh.

[quote name='javeryh']Anyone else turning into a huge Packers fan this weekend?[/QUOTE]

you know it. gotta keep my first page prediction of packers vs patriots in the super bowl.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Don't be surprised if they do a short interview process and Holmgren decides the best guy to do the job is wait for it.......HIMSELF! Sure he is ruling himself out at the moment as head coach, but he has not said I WILL NOT BE THE BROWNS NEXT HEAD COACH.

Dolphins are pushing hard for Harbaugh.[/QUOTE]
He's not going to coach, as he'd rather be the man with the finger on the button if things aren't going well than the guy that gets the heat if he can't do it as quickly as he expects others to do.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']He's not going to coach, as he'd rather be the man with the finger on the button if things aren't going well than the guy that gets the heat if he can't do it as quickly as he expects others to do.[/QUOTE]
Good point but, he did do the coach/gm thing in Seattle so just sayin...

Luck just doesn't want to play for Carolina...

Good for him, if he wants to stay and finish his degree. Plus the whole CBA situation, who knows if he would even play this year. He will likely be the #1 pick whether he comes out this year or next.

bread's done
Back